Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: How did Paquiao improve his chin?
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
Aware
Getting knocked down and seriously injured by a jab??
Praximo
thats how.

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/ix266qFCFAY&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/ix266qFCFAY&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>
Praximo
Aware
QUOTE (Praximo @ Aug 1 2010, 01:38 AM) *

That vid had nothing to do with his chin but ok. I always thought that the ability to take a punch was something you couldn't improve. I'm not even sure peds can improve your chin (Vargas-De la Hoya). Fighters like Julian Jackson, Tommy Morrison, Terry Norris, Dieogo Corrales, Judah, etc. would have benefited greatly if they could have improved their chins. What's the secret?
JonnyBlaze
QUOTE (Fitz @ Aug 1 2010, 04:54 PM) *
I don't think there is a secret with improving your chin or making it stronger. I don't think you can make someone with a glass jaw have a granite chin or anything, but I feel there are some things that you can improve that make you take a shot better.
I think one is mental/confidence. I think if a fighter worries too much about it, they are probably more suspect to going down because already in their mind they have a mentality that when hit, they will go down. Secondly, I think strengthening your neck will improve as well. You see guys with good chins, when they get hit flush, you still don't see their neck snap back too much. They just take it better. It may have something to do with not being rattled and your head/neck not moving back at a ridiculous speed and rattling the brain as much. Just seem to absorb it better. The other thing is if fighters fight at a more natural weight, they will take a shot better. Cotto doesn't have a granite chin or anything, and even though his stoppages came above 140, I still feel Cotto took shots better at 147 then he did at 140 and I think it was him draining to make weight and not taking shots better.
Once again, I don't think these changes would make Judah into Margarito or something like that, but I think there are some little things that can give you some small improvements.

Good post Fitz..

You can build muscle in your jaw and chin area but that can only do so much(chewing gum or something like that)..Fitz makes a really good point about the neck..The neck IS the shock absorber..You need to build the neck on the sides and front and back..The sides help with hooks while the front and back help with the straight shots..Body builders are suckers for straight punches since they are all side on their necks and not doesn't allow them much motion with their neck..When I used to lift,I had a wide neck,but the muscles weren't built in the front of back..

These 2 things only improve what you have..Fitz is right,it has a lot to do with your mentality..You have to be willing to take a shot and tell yourself,"I'm not going down for anyone"..Your brain controls everything and you can manipulate it..You'd surprise yourself what you're capable of doing through doing just that(manipulating your brain)..
JLUVBABY
QUOTE (JonnyBlaze @ Aug 1 2010, 05:33 PM) *
Good post Fitz..

You can build muscle in your jaw and chin area but that can only do so much(chewing gum or something like that)..Fitz makes a really good point about the neck..The neck IS the shock absorber..You need to build the neck on the sides and front and back..The sides help with hooks while the front and back help with the straight shots..Body builders are suckers for straight punches since they are all side on their necks and not doesn't allow them much motion with their neck..When I used to lift,I had a wide neck,but the muscles weren't built in the front of back..

These 2 things only improve what you have..Fitz is right,it has a lot to do with your mentality..You have to be willing to take a shot and tell yourself,"I'm not going down for anyone"..Your brain controls everything and you can manipulate it..You'd surprise yourself what you're capable of doing through doing just that(manipulating your brain)..

didnt dempsey chew tar sap or some shit like that to make his jaws harder?
JonnyBlaze
QUOTE (JLUVBABY @ Aug 1 2010, 07:33 PM) *

Dempsey would chew bark..hahaha..He did a lot of crazy shit for boxing..Rugged guy!!
STEVENSKI
QUOTE (JLUVBABY @ Aug 2 2010, 10:33 AM) *

Yeah but Dempsey was a real man unlike a lot of modern fighters. Who brines their face nowdays? Before you say anything Manassa Jack got married to the biggest movie star of the day so he was ruggedly handsome LOL.
JLUVBABY
QUOTE (STEVENSKI @ Aug 1 2010, 08:20 PM) *
Yeah but Dempsey was a real man unlike a lot of modern fighters. Who brines their face nowdays? Before you say anything Manassa Jack got married to the biggest movie star of the day so he was ruggedly handsome LOL.

he never fought harry wills but he was a tough mother....
JonnyBlaze
QUOTE (STEVENSKI @ Aug 1 2010, 08:20 PM) *

Face and hands.. laugh.gif
STEVENSKI
QUOTE (JonnyBlaze @ Aug 2 2010, 12:19 PM) *
Face and hands.. laugh.gif

The women loved the extra ridges & ribbing on his fingers.....
JonnyBlaze
QUOTE (STEVENSKI @ Aug 1 2010, 10:01 PM) *
The women loved the extra ridges & ribbing on his fingers.....

hahahahaha..
dominicbuilder9k1
Its body and mind conditioning... I agree with FITZ... mental conditioning is as important as physical training.

I've seen him train and received a lot of punches in his face (chin) and body as well...courtesy of sparring partners with promise of reward by his trainer if they can knock Pacquiao down...(usually a thousand dollars if they can knockdown Pacquiao).. He also has that mental conditioning during training wherein he is to received pain thru sticks and body shots...

But I believe the conditioning coach (Ariza ?) has help him a lot thru his food intake and supllements...
gravytrain
The only ways to improve your chin are to build strength in your neck, keep your chin tucked, teeth clinched, and be properly hydrated. I think Pacquiao used to really drain himself to make weight and now he's fighting near his natural weight, dehydration can really weaken you.
PR316
Boxing is 90 percent mental.

If you have the confidence and WILL that if you have to take a shot, you can do it, I think that plays a big role.

And fighting at your correct weight also does.

We're talking about Pacquiao when he wasn't even a MAN yet... He was still a kid, with very little experience and know how. That plays a part in having low confidence.

Pacquiao today is fully grown at his physical peak. And that also gives him CONFIDENCE which is key in everythign that has to do with boxing.

And the mind conditioning training he does with the stick and taking shots to the body also plays its role.
gravytrain
Getting hit with a stick doesn't prevent a concussion or brain trauma. The only mental thing that can truly strengthen your chin would be learning to relax and keep an eye on where the punches are coming from that way you can roll with them or tense up.
rusty_trombone
QUOTE (gravytrain @ Aug 3 2010, 01:52 PM) *
Getting hit with a stick doesn't prevent a concussion or brain trauma.

seriously. i don't think getting bashed in the face with a piece of timber will improve your chin, in fact it will probably make you more likely to get a concussion and easier to knock out in the future. The brain is one of those things that doesn't get tougher the more you beat on it, it's not your knuckles or abs.
thehype
QUOTE (dominicbuilder9k1 @ Aug 3 2010, 10:38 AM) *
But I believe the conditioning coach (Ariza ?) has help him a lot thru his food intake and supllements...

I think that pretty much explains it right there.

laugh.gif
D-MARV
QUOTE (thehype @ Aug 4 2010, 12:31 PM) *
I think that pretty much explains it right there.

laugh.gif

LOL... You beat me to it!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.