Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Marquez-Katsidis ordered by WBO
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
Pages: 1, 2
jkfitpro
Thoughts?
AussieLad
It will be a very entertaining beat down.

Marquez will wear down katsidis and bust his face up bad.

Kasidis only chance is an early series of knockdowns, and pray that one of them keeps marquez down
King Eugene
I see Marquez boxing himself to a clear decision leaving Katsidis with a bloody mask. His style is perfect for Marquez but there is a chance Marquez gets old over night.
Keith
I have a bad feeling Marquez does get old.
D-MARV
I MUCH rather see this fight then watch Marquez go up and fight Khan.

I think Marquez stops him late.
JD
Good fight...leaning toward Katsidis right now, if he sticks with his newer more controlled aggression.

If Marquez fights Khan at 140, mark my words, Amir Khan will tear him up.
BigG
Marquez will brutalize Katsidis IMO....late TKO.
JD
I must see more decline in Marquez than most. I have seen it since the first Baby Bull fight...and I thought that Malignaggi's two performances against Diaz highlighted that...especially the second one.
KookedKrack
Old Marquez>>Young Katsidis

Marquez beats the fuck out of him.
Keith
QUOTE (JD @ Aug 5 2010, 12:48 PM) *
I must see more decline in Marquez than most. I have seen it since the first Baby Bull fight...and I thought that Malignaggi's two performances against Diaz highlighted that...especially the second one.

I agree with this. The Diaz fights covered up the fact that Marquez is very much in decline. Diaz was custom made for Marquez... a guy that comes right to Marquez with average punching power, and Diaz isnt all that physically strong either. Katsidas will also come right at Marquez but his punches are straighter and harder, as well as being physically stronger.
EpTXCHAMP
think khan vs Marquez would show why boxing has weight classes Marq has no business fighting over 135.

Hopefully Marq will be smart enough to realize this and take the Katsidis fight which I think Marq will win but not as easily as some people think.
D-MARV
QUOTE (JD @ Aug 5 2010, 12:48 PM) *

I see it too BUT I think you're underestimating how good Marquez still is. I give Katsidas a few early rounds but he will NOT remain disciplined for the entire fight. Marquez will tee of on him late... I think Katsidas gets sliced up.
D-MARV
Khan OWNS Marquez at this point.

Marquez has no business at 140 especially against the BEST 140lber. Yeah I said it!
BigG
I disagree Dmarv. I agree that Khan with his height, speed, and youth would be a a hard fight but I think Marquez could beat Victor Ortiz, Nate Campbell, or Madiana. The only time Marquez fought above 135, he fought Floyd Mayweather Jr, and really there is nobody as good as Mayweather.
Fitz
Yes, yes, yes. I'm loving this fight if it does come off. I'm with JD about Marquez looking old (though I think he has still been very good and his experience shows in his performances). Though I am still leaning towards Marquez.
I don't give a shit though, because it's an undisputed title, Katsidis has done everything he should have done to get himself in a position to be his mandatory for sometime and he deserves his shot. Definitely a deserving mandatory and these are the fights that boxing miss. Legitimate fights with fighters in their weight class and an undisputed champion defending it against a very worthy mandatory. Boxing like it should be.
D-MARV
QUOTE (BigG @ Aug 5 2010, 01:58 PM) *
I disagree Dmarv. I agree that Khan with his height, speed, and youth would be a a hard fight but I think Marquez could beat Victor Ortiz, Nate Campbell, or Madiana. The only time Marquez fought above 135, he fought Floyd Mayweather Jr, and really there is nobody as good as Mayweather.

I give Marquez a shot at Campbell only because he's as old as Marquez. The others would be to young and active for the great Marquez. Then you have to toss in the size advantages and I give Marquez little chance against the best of the best at 140. I would even favor that OVERRATED ass Maidana over Marquez.
Fitz
I just realised. If Katsidis was to win this, Australia would have 2 current undisputed world champions of the world. Katsidis and Darchinyan. That would be pretty cool.

dirol.gif
D-MARV
Make that 3 Fitz...

Danny Green is the Undisputed champ at 185.
Fitz
Danny Green can go suck a dick for now. He may win me back depending on the next fight. He is going into Mundine territory.
The CEO
Katsidis is very live here iMo...
Jack 1000
Great fight! Glad the WBO is mandating it.

Jack
salvador
Just because the WBO is mandating it doesn't mean it will happen. I have no idea if anything is signed, but it seems to me that Marquez is looking for money at this point in his career and Khan is the money.

Marquez abuses Katsidis and Khan probably gets the decision over JMM. I'd personally rather see JMM-Khan on the off chance JMM could pull it off - especially seeing as how if he did pull it off he'd have a good shot at a Pac fight.
Mean Mister Mustard
Marquez's legs are definetly not once they once were. I was watching his fights from 5 years ago and he was more adept at darting in and out. his defense consisted of 2 things; his legs to get out of range and his counterpunching in combinations to discourage the opponent from throwing again. He never had that much head movement to begin with and now that his legs are going he gts hit more. Even though his hand and foot speed, as well as his reflexes, are diminishing he's still too sharp for Katsidis. Marquez would get damaged here but he should be the favorite to win it.

Khan is a whole other animal. He's tall, has faster hands and likes to box off a tight jab. JMM has never been comfortable chasing a guy down and at this stage in his career against a younger faster foe he would probably get beat. That being said he would be the best fighter Khan has faced and he did get stunned by Barerra, which leads me to believe that JMM's sharp punches could get Khan out of there.
BigG
I'll favor Marquez to beat Victor Ortiz and give Madiana a boxing lesson. Dmarv, Marquez even did better against Mayweather than Mosley....Mosley got a slightly worse beating against Mayweather than Marquez got. And thats at 147 against P4P top 2 best. And don't forget he beat Pac just 2 years ago. (IMO).
Fitz
QUOTE (BigG @ Aug 6 2010, 06:00 PM) *
I'll favor Marquez to beat Victor Ortiz and give Madiana a boxing lesson. Dmarv, Marquez even did better against Mayweather than Mosley....Mosley got a slightly worse beating against Mayweather than Marquez got. And thats at 147 against P4P top 2 best. And don't forget he beat Pac just 2 years ago. (IMO).

That may be true, but then again, Mayweather didn't carry Mosley.
jkfitpro
I'm surprised at how so many peeps think this is going to be a lop-sided win for Marquez. Whilst not quite a pick'em, this a very close fight IMO, maybe 60-40 favouring Marquez. Expecting Marquez to win by a CLOSE decision, in a back and forth barnburner!
Keith
QUOTE (Fitz @ Aug 6 2010, 04:33 AM) *

This is true... and I still don't see how the Mosley beating was worse then the Marquez. Mosley's face didnt look anywhere near as bad as Marquez and Mosley was never knocked down.
JD
QUOTE (Keith @ Aug 6 2010, 07:28 AM) *
This is true... and I still don't see how the Mosley beating was worse then the Marquez. Mosley's face didnt look anywhere near as bad as Marquez and Mosley was never knocked down.

Mosley won 1 round...Marquez won 0 rounds.

Had Floyd fought Marquez the way he fought Mosley and was not inactive he would have stopped him...had he decided to press, he would have gotten Marquez out of there.

Keith
QUOTE (JD @ Aug 6 2010, 08:16 AM) *

Had Floyd fought Marquez the way he fought Mosley and was not inactive he would have stopped him...had he decided to press, he would have gotten Marquez out of there.

Ya, absolutely agree with you.

Shit, not that it matters but....I thought Mosley won the first 2 rounds.
AussieLad
QUOTE (D-MARV @ Aug 5 2010, 10:17 PM) *
Make that 3 Fitz...

Danny Green is the Undisputed champ at 185.

LOL thumbsup_anim.gif
King Eugene
Marquez staying at 135
Lightweight champ Juan Manuel Marquez has made up his mind.

Marquez will stay at 135 pounds for a possible fall fight with Michael Katsidis rather than move up to junior welterweight to attempt to become the first Mexican to win titles in four weight classes, Golden Boy CEO Richard Schaefer told ESPN.com on Wednesday after meeting with Marquez in Mexico City.

Schaefer met with Marquez to discuss the options, which included him remaining at lightweight to fight Katsidis (27-2, 22 KOs), the all-action Australian brawler, an interim titlist who is Marquez's mandatory challenger, or moving up to junior welterweight for a possible fight with 140-pound titlist Amir Khan.

Marquez elected to stay at lightweight, where he defended the title with a lopsided decision against Juan Diaz on July 31 in a rematch of Marquez's ninth-round knockout win in the 2009 fight of the year.

"It was clear. He will stay at 135 pounds," Schaefer said.

The decision also could pave the way for Khan, who needs an opponent, to defend his title against Marcos Maidana in December, Schaefer said.

Schaefer said Nacho Beristain, Marquez's trainer and a proponent of him remaining at 135 pounds, was at their meeting.

"So now we are going to try to put together the deal for Marquez and Katsidis. Hell of a fight. Toe to toe. Mano a mano," Schaefer said. "This is a great fight. I'm excited for the fighters and the fans as well. This is going to be non-stop action. Pound for pound, these are two of the most exciting fighters in boxing."

Schaefer said the HBO date he has for the fight is Nov. 27, which is Thanksgiving weekend, not the best on the calendar for a major fight.

"That's what they gave me," Schaefer said. "I don't love it. It's not the best date, but it's what we have and we'll make it work."

He said the fight would probably be at the Mandalay Bay or MGM Grand in Las Vegas.

Schaefer said he only briefly discussed the particulars of a deal for the Katsidis fight with Marquez (51-5-1, 37 KOs) and has not negotiated it with the Katsidis camp.

"I can't negotiate the purses until I know the HBO license fee, but when I work it out with HBO, then I can go back and forth with the fighters and work out the purses," Schaefer said.

He said he did not expect a hard time making the deal with Katsidis and his manager/trainer Brendon Smith. The Marquez fight is what both have wanted for quite some time.

"I talked to them before and informed them that I was going to see Marquez," Schaefer said. "They made it clear to me that this was the fight they wanted. So I had those conversations with them and I told them I needed to see what Marquez wanted to do. Now Marquez has told me what he wants to do and, in the coming days, I will be talking to the parties on both sides and trying to put that fight together."

Long-range, Schaefer said if Marquez defeated Katsidis, he would still attempt to move to junior welterweight with his eye on a title shot.

"Marquez didn't say he didn't want to fight at 140, only that right now he wants to stay at 135," Schaefer said. "But moving to 140 next year is very possible. We talked about him fighting Erik Morales at 140 next year. He can establish himself at 140, or if Morales wins, it would be big for him. The winner of that possible fight could be a potential opponent for Amir Khan."

Morales (49-6, 34 KOs), the faded Mexican star, who also has won titles in three divisions, ended a 2˝-year retirement in March by outpointing Jose Alfaro in a welterweight bout. He is scheduled to fight Willie Limond at junior welterweight on Sept. 11.

Schaefer said he envisions a pay-per-view fight between Marquez and Morales taking place in March at famed Azteca Stadium in Mexico City. Marquez-Morales is the one match that never happened among the featherweight/junior lightweight quartet of stars of the 2000s that also included Manny Pacquiao and Marco Antonio Barrera.

"I already knew Morales was interested in that fight," Schaefer said. "And I know now that Marquez is interested in it too."

With Marquez electing to remain in the lightweight division, it leaves Khan (23-1, 17 KOs) in need of a fall opponent. He is penciled in for an HBO fight on Dec. 11, either in the United States or in his native England.

"I just talked to the Khans and we'll see if we can put together a fight with [interim titlist Marcos] Maidana," Schaefer said.

Maidana (28-1, 27 KOs) would have to win his fight on Saturday night, when he defends his belt in his native Argentina against former titlist DeMarcus "Chop Chop" Corley.

"If Maidana wins, we will see if we can put that together for Dec. 11," Schaefer said. "I don't know yet if it would be in the U.K. or the U.S. The Khans are checking with [British broadcaster] Sky and I will be talking to HBO to see what makes the most sense."

Dan Rafael is the boxing writer for ESPN.com.
Fitz
Hey, thanks Eugene for bumping an older and relevant thread, rather than being an inconsiderate asshole and making a new thread, and keeping the discussion in one place. It was very thoughtful and an unselfish act. It is greatly appreciated.

Also another great fight that I can hardly wait for. One of my favourite fights, and if I were to wish for about 5 fights before this was likely to happen (as I don't think it's signed yet). This probably would have been one of them. Great move by Marquez, and Katsidis while not the greatest, has definitely paid his dues and has earned this shot by putting himself in this position rather than given a hand. A true boxing old vs young fight and a fight that who ever wins, I will not be disappointed with, though would slightly pull for Katsidis.
My interest in boxing has turned around dramatically in the last week. People bitched and moaned about these two biggest guys in the sport (I don't want to mention there names as they have about 50 threads on them), but I am over it and looking at the fights that are happening. Definitely not the main stream fights that a lot of hype will put around it. But true boxing fans will love these, but now this year I am really looking forward to:
  • Perez-Agbeko II/Darchinyan-Mares card
  • Katsidis-Marquez
  • Williams-Martinez II
  • Froch-Abraham/Dirrell-Ward (this one really interests me between the two Americans)

Let's talk boxing (been barely none of that) and not boxing that isn't happening (too much of this).

thumbsup_anim.gif
King Eugene
QUOTE (Fitz @ Aug 26 2010, 06:16 AM) *
Hey, thanks Eugene for bumping an older and relevant thread, rather than being an inconsiderate asshole and making a new thread, and keeping the discussion in one place. It was very thoughtful and an unselfish act. It is greatly appreciated.

No problem. It gets pretty annoying have 5 different threads basically saying the same thing plus I remember Hype saying something a while back about space/memory or something like that being taken up when new threads are started.

I'm looking forward to this fight too. Seems Marquez will attempt to clean out the division by defending his titles. You really cant ask for more than that. If continues this then folks will really be screaming for him to fight....well you know who.
kidbazooka1
Should be a great fight and a good win for Marquez.

Marquez by TKO in 8.
Big Slim Sweet
Marquez butchers Katsidis IMO in an entertaining, one-sided beat down.
Lil-lightsout
QUOTE (Big Slim Sweet @ Aug 27 2010, 10:44 PM) *
Marquez butchers Katsidis IMO in an entertaining, one-sided beat down.

Pretty much what probably would happen. But Katsidis sure would make a fight out of it. Just maybe he could hurt JMM though and really make it interesting?
King Eugene
QUOTE (Lil-lightsout @ Aug 28 2010, 01:06 AM) *
Pretty much what probably would happen. But Katsidis sure would make a fight out of it. Just maybe he could hurt JMM though and really make it interesting?

One thing that I like about JMM is when he is hurt he doesn't get defensive and go into survival mode, he seems to get more aggressive. More like he is fighting to get you off of him then running to keep away from you. I love it when fighters take a shot and their initial instinct is to attack instead of retreat til the wooziness is gone.
Lil-lightsout
QUOTE (King Eugene @ Aug 28 2010, 01:09 AM) *
One thing that I like about JMM is when he is hurt he doesn't get defensive and go into survival mode, he seems to get more aggressive. More like he is fighting to get you off of him then running to keep away from you. I love it when fighters take a shot and their initial instinct is to attack instead of retreat til the wooziness is gone.

It's crazy, but JMM gets hurt so many times and goes down, but look at the final results.

Pac had him down 3 times in the first round, and he gave Pac hell for all 11 rounds after that!

Pac had him down in the rematch, but JMM gets up again and loses a disputed decision.

Diaz had him hurt and buzzed many times, but JMM got stronger and wore out and stopped Diaz later in the fight.

PBF dropped him hard, but did not or could not stop him.

JMM is a beast.
JD
I am leaning toward Katsidis right now.
SmartyBeardo
QUOTE (Fitz @ Aug 6 2010, 03:33 AM) *

Yes he did.
SmartyBeardo
QUOTE (JD @ Aug 6 2010, 07:16 AM) *

If he fought the fight you are suggesting he did, he would have gotten SSM out of there.
SmartyBeardo
QUOTE (Lil-lightsout @ Aug 28 2010, 12:28 AM) *
It's crazy, but JMM gets hurt so many times and goes down, but look at the final results.

Pac had him down 3 times in the first round, and he gave Pac hell for all 11 rounds after that!

Pac had him down in the rematch, but JMM gets up again and loses a disputed decision.

Diaz had him hurt and buzzed many times, but JMM got stronger and wore out and stopped Diaz later in the fight.

PBF dropped him hard, but did not or could not stop him.

JMM is a beast.

Yes he is, but Katsidis is superior to Diaz and JMM has been through many wars.

As I have said before, I would watch JMM v anyone. I feel similarly about Katsidis. Katsidis exposed Alexander IMO. This will be an epic battle. I lean to JMM but Katsidis is a wolverine.

edit 8/29/10; That's how f'ed up I am right now- mixing up Katsidis with Kotelnik. Still decompressing.
JD
QUOTE (SmartyBeardo @ Aug 29 2010, 12:56 AM) *
If he fought the fight you are suggesting he did, he would have gotten SSM out of there.

If Floyd fought Mosley in the manner he fought Mosley he would have stopped him you say.

Interesting.
SmartyBeardo
QUOTE (JD @ Aug 29 2010, 08:25 AM) *
If Floyd fought Mosley in the manner he fought Mosley he would have stopped him you say.

Interesting.

What I am saying is that he WASN'T more active in the SSM fight. Mosley was just as there to be had as JMM was and PBF chose to play it safe. That isn't to say that JMM was as great a challenge as SSM, just that PBF could have taken both out if he was less risk averse.

The fact is that SSM shut it down for what ever reason and chose to survive. JMM fought to win in a hopeless situation.
JD
QUOTE (SmartyBeardo @ Aug 29 2010, 11:39 AM) *
What I am saying is that he WASN'T more active in the SSM fight. Mosley was just as there to be had as JMM was and PBF chose to play it safe. That isn't to say that JMM was as great a challenge as SSM, just that PBF could have taken both out if he was less risk averse.

The fact is that SSM shut it down for what ever reason and chose to survive. JMM fought to win in a hopeless situation.

When I used the word "inactive" I was referencing the pseudo retirement.

Floyd always throws around the same amount of punches, though the word I used was "press", and Floyd pressed Mosley...he did not press JMM. He threw 267 power punches against Mosley, and 177 against JMM.

Mosley...as you say...shut it down and took no risks, plus he has a hell of a chin. So, Floyd was not stopping him...if he fought the same fight against Marquez, where he threw a lot more power shots and "pressed", he would have gotten him out of there - but, as I said earlier, he was also inactive coming into it.
SmartyBeardo
QUOTE (JD @ Aug 29 2010, 02:58 PM) *
When I used the word "inactive" I was referencing the pseudo retirement.

Floyd always throws around the same amount of punches, though the word I used was "press", and Floyd pressed Mosley...he did not press JMM. He threw 267 power punches against Mosley, and 177 against JMM.

Mosley...as you say...shut it down and took no risks, plus he has a hell of a chin. So, Floyd was not stopping him...if he fought the same fight against Marquez, where he threw a lot more power shots and "pressed", he would have gotten him out of there - but, as I said earlier, he was also inactive coming into it.

I was there (as you know) for the PBF v SSM fight. That probably skewed my vision negatively even though my seats were pretty darn good. It looked to me real time that PBF could take out SSM. I understand how great Shane's chin is and how PBF has not been taking people out, but at that time, it looked like Mosley was ready to go at a couple of points.

I also think that PBF did not go for the KO v JMM for two reasons. He wanted the work and he understood how difficult it is to put JMM away.
JD
We may see things the same bu be saying it differently.

I thought he chose not to press Marquez for whatever reason.
Mean Mister Mustard
QUOTE (SmartyBeardo @ Aug 29 2010, 04:15 PM) *
I was there (as you know) for the PBF v SSM fight. That probably skewed my vision negatively even though my seats were pretty darn good. It looked to me real time that PBF could take out SSM. I understand how great Shane's chin is and how PBF has not been taking people out, but at that time, it looked like Mosley was ready to go at a couple of points.

I also think that PBF did not go for the KO v JMM for two reasons. He wanted the work and he understood how difficult it is to put JMM away.

That's an interesting pont. On the one hand Mosley punches much harder than JMM, but it was Marquez who was countering with combos and at least letting his hands go, while Mosley just stood there, all jittery and getting pot shotted. Both Mosley and JMM are tough guys to hurt but Mayweather was able to land one shot and Mosley and dodge one shot, wheras against JMM he had to avoid 3 or 4. I don't know maybe that's a possibility.

I don't know if Mayweather carried Marquez. He did look like he was being very agressive in the last rounds. But why would he carry him? Even after not fighting for almost 2 years we knew that he was in great shape and had obviously trained during the layoff.
Fitz
If anyone doesn't know, Katsidis lost his brother a few days ago. He was a jockey and was going to race in one of the big races (as we have the spring carnival for 4 weeks and a lot of big races).

I have lost my closest friend, my inspiration in life, my one and only brother. This is something I could never imagine, but for some reason I feel his life is not a loss. My brother is me! We live our lives through each other. We dedicate our triumphs to one another and share the challenges we face in life. What does someone do when they lose the one person in their life like this? They are devastated right? Allow me to share with you Stathi’s thoughts and what he wants. If you can believe me, I feel you will all be somewhat enlightened to hear what I have say.

The fight will go on! I will do this for Stathi, my family and myself. The moment I walked in for a grueling sparring session after hearing the news of his death earlier that day, my trainer Brendon Smith shook my hand and said to me “you are about to take the bravest step of your life.” We nodded, smiled and went to work. I worked as I have never done before. He is with me and will be all the way. I am happy about this.

I have never experienced anything like I felt that day. Stathi is inside me! We will fight this fight together. I know this is what he wants.

I would like to thank everyone for their well wishes and prayers for my brother, my family and myself. God bless.

Here is the article on his brothers death.

http://sportal.com.au/horseracing-news-dis...-unclear-100558

Autopsy results have failed to establish the exact cause of death of top Queensland jockey Stathi Katsidis.

The dual premiership winning rider was found dead in his Brisbane home by partner Melissa Jackson on Tuesday morning, four days before he was due to ride Shoot Out in the $3m Tatts Cox Plate at Moonee Valley.

Jackson's father Tony informed the media on Thursday that the autopsy result had been inconclusive and the exact reason for Katisidis's death is unlikely to be known for several months.

He was able to confirm that the 31-year-old jockey's heart was found to be fine and there was no trauma evident, adding that further determination will face a considerable delay in awaiting toxicology results.

It is understood that Katisidis's body has been released and that his funeral will take place in Toowoomba, his town of birth, next Tuesday. Arrangements are still being finalised.

Following the shock passing of Katsidis, Shoot Out's grief-stricken trainer John Wallace has subsequently entrusted the Cox Plate ride on the four-year-old this Saturday to last year's Melbourne Cup-winning jockey Corey Brown.
STEVENSKI
JMM could be in trouble in this one. Both brothers have competed at the highest level in their chosen professions. When I was in action I used to love Stathi. Guarenteed easy money when he was on a horse in Brisbane.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.