Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Just heard from a solid that PBF & King...
FightHype Community > OTHER HYPE > Archives
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4
caneman
PBF better watch what he signs though as I don't see him fighting pass Pacman. Not sure why I say that but for $100 million, King will need 3-5 fights to make his $$$ back! Does anyone see him fighting more than 2-3 fights...I am having a hard time picturing that myself! Bring on Pacman vs PBF & fuck Margacheato & his cheating ass & his bullshit belt! Thoughts y'all?
JLUVBABY
QUOTE (caneman @ Aug 7 2010, 11:43 AM) *
PBF better watch what he signs though as I don't see him fighting pass Pacman. Not sure why I say that but for $100 million, King will need 3-5 fights to make his $$$ back! Does anyone see him fighting more than 2-3 fights...I am having a hard time picturing that myself! Bring on Pacman vs PBF & fuck Margacheato & his cheating ass & his bullshit belt! Thoughts y'all?

a few fights i could see past a pacman fight is for sure a corey spinks fight if spinks is still champ and a possible alexander fight and there is always a rematch win or lose vs pac... but i agree i dont see him wanting to fight that many times.... lol...
Method
Assuming it's TRUE, it will be VERY VERY interesting to see if Floyd feels like suddenly paying taxes again this year. That's what I'm most interested in...

King contracts fail to bamboozle me anymore. What he guarantees fighters' per fight, etc., does NOT mean that THAT is what they will receive. Period. I think a few, if not many of us, have been around the boards of maxboxing, b-talk and fighthype to understand that.

I definitely think King and Arum will work better together, because they are pure promoters and understand each other very well, and, despite having their differences, both share the same common goal.

Dont be surprised if this winds up a.) biting Floyd in the ass (although I tend to think not), or b.) NOT coming to fruition.

Part of me still wonders whether Floyd is dangling DK in front of Haymon/GBP to leverage more $$$$, but on the other hand, Don has already played the stable pony for Floyd already, and I doubt the high haired one would let himself be used again.

PS - Floyd doesn't NEED DK to make $100M

PPS - I've seen 20-lb lobsters, and THAT wasnt one.
caneman
QUOTE (Method @ Aug 7 2010, 01:45 PM) *
Assuming it's TRUE, it will be VERY VERY interesting to see if Floyd feels like suddenly paying taxes again this year. That's what I'm most interested in...

King contracts fail to bamboozle me anymore. What he guarantees fighters' per fight, etc., does NOT mean that THAT is what they will receive. Period. I think a few, if not many of us, have been around the boards of maxboxing, b-talk and fighthype to understand that.

I definitely think King and Arum will work better together, because they are pure promoters and understand each other very well, and, despite having their differences, both share the same common goal.

Dont be surprised if this winds up a.) biting Floyd in the ass (although I tend to think not), or b.) NOT coming to fruition.

Part of me still wonders whether Floyd is dangling DK in front of Haymon/GBP to leverage more $$$$, but on the other hand, Don has already played the stable pony for Floyd already, and I doubt the high haired one would let himself be used again.

Indeed JB! On all counts! The one thing I will say though is that not sure PBF makes $100 mil unless he fights Pacman twice & he'll be gone & never fight in the ring again! Just my thought on it! It is gonna be interesting as hell though! I can't wait!
SENTRAL
QUOTE (Method @ Aug 7 2010, 01:45 PM) *

Co-sign!!!
thehype
QUOTE (caneman @ Aug 7 2010, 11:43 AM) *

Who's your solid? Twitter?

laugh.gif
thehype
QUOTE (Method @ Aug 7 2010, 12:45 PM) *

clapping.gif

You gotta wonder why someone would take a picture of a contract, conveniently showing the dollar amount, and then post it on Twitter.

dntknw.gif
Method
Ahhhahahahahahahahahahaahahahahahaaha.

Hype.

Bringing it.

Dude, what are your thoughts on this?

I actually (I cant believe Im about to type this) miss that old mother fucker Don King. I need him back in my life. If only to remind me there is someone who walks this earth that is more full of shit than myself.

Seriously, I would like to see the mix master back in the mix.
thehype
On a side note, if he IS seriously entertaining a promotional contract (which should be doubtful considering how much he likes to call himself his own boss), methinks he should have a SERIOUS conversation with Roy Jones Jr. and ask him what it felt like to GIVE BACK $10 million to Don King after the Trinidad fight in order to fight Joe Calzaghe.

laugh.gif

There's a reason why Roy Jones Jr. is trying to sue the UFC for a mere $10,000.

laugh.gif
D-MARV
That contract is about as real as Pacquiao being ALL Natural. OOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!! Just Kiddin...

I doubt this contract is legit. I saw a picture of it and it looked like someone was just bored and decided to type up some bullshit and take a picture of it. I think Floyd can make 100 million off of two Pacquiao fights alone. I still think that Floyd is sitting out the rest of the year for WHATEVER reasons. If Mayweather signs with Don King, this opens up a lot of fighters that Floyd can fight. After Pac, you have Berto, PWill, and Spinks. I still believe that in 2012 we may see Khan-Mayweather in a huge PPV fight.
thehype
QUOTE (Method @ Aug 7 2010, 02:40 PM) *
Ahhhahahahahahahahahahaahahahahahaaha.

Hype.

Bringing it.

Dude, what are your thoughts on this?

I actually (I cant believe Im about to type this) miss that old mother fucker Don King. I need him back in my life. If only to remind me there is someone who walks this earth that is more full of shit than myself.

Seriously, I would like to see the mix master back in the mix.

My thoughts?

I think Floyd was pissed at Al Haymon and Ross Greenburg for basically leaving him out to dry.

I think Floyd is sending them a message, saying, "Hey, I don't need you fucks. You need me! If you all want to profit off this mega-fight, you need me too so you fools better start respecting me and treating me like you treated Oscar De La Hoya!"

I think everyone involved knew WELL IN ADVANCE that Floyd wasn't fighting on no November 13, but I think certain individuals had discussions anyway in order to solidify the fight no matter the date.

I think Arum, however, being the slick ol' bastard that he is, said, "Fuck this! I'm not holding up my company for this spoiled little brat. You guys can do all the talking you want, but here are Manny's terms, so take it or leave it. I'm going to do me!"

Then I think Arum fucked Floyd AND Greenburg to benefit his own fighter. Great move by Arum. I can't even hate on that.

Then, Greenburg, who's job is already on the line due to certain expectations that he promised (one of which was the delivery of this mega-fight), had to also fuck Floyd so he wouldn't look bad. Hey, I can't hate on Greenburg either...when it comes to your job, you gotta do what you gotta do.

So poor Floyd is left with some cat who NEVER talks to the media, so his only recourse was to use Ellerbe to try to diffuse it...which didn't really pan out the way he wanted (what Ellerbe's statement SHOULD have said was "THERE WERE NO NEGOTIATIONS FOR A NOVEMBER 13 BOUT").

So now, Floyd is pissed...mainly at Haymon and Greenburg...so he goes and has a talk with King. He conveniently leaks that out on Twitter...just like he conveniently leaks out this $100,000,000 promotional agreement.

I really don't think this is anything different than what NORMALLY goes on behind the scenes...it's just that it's much more high-profile now because everyone, and I mean EVERYONE, is involved with spreading all the little tidbits of information from their point of view. And now, you got a guy like Floyd who's using social networking to try to manipulate certain things (I gotta give him props for that, because it's actually a pretty good idea), so it becomes and even bigger story.

It's really all just comedy to me. I mean, I'll report on it, write an article and whatnot, because I have to and it's content, but really, regardless of everything that's going down, it's all meaningless.

Manny is still going to fight Margarito on November 13.

Mayweather still won't be fighting until 2011.

I mean, I wish it really did have some meaning, but I just don't think so.

It's fun though. I would LOVE to see King back in the mix. It just seems so fitting that he is. I mean, a fight this big, how can he NOT be involved. LOL.
JD
Arum has won the PR war by way of Julian Jackson like KO.
caneman
QUOTE (thehype @ Aug 7 2010, 03:37 PM) *
Who's your solid? Twitter?

laugh.gif

I ain't gonna bring it up til he is in the open but he is our facebook friend & his 1st name begins with G!
oozemcbuck
QUOTE (caneman @ Aug 7 2010, 06:32 PM) *
I ain't gonna bring it up til he is in the open but he is our facebook friend & his 1st name begins with G!

As in G. Leon ?!! laugh.gif
Method
Hype, nice post. Agree with it all. You pretty much nailed it.
Method
Not for nothing, but you'd think w DK's experience already with losing BANK w the ORIGINAL proposed Trinidad/Jones fight by Team Tito fighting Hopkins first, you'd think DK, ESPECIALLY at THIS juncture in his career, would steer Floyd directly towards tha Paq fight NOW so he could ring that register and NOT take any chances.
caneman
QUOTE (oozemcbuck @ Aug 7 2010, 08:51 PM) *
As in G. Leon ?!! laugh.gif

hell nah fool! Greg ain't my friend!
Jack 1000

Does Floyd understand that though? King isn't exactly the mega superstar promoter that he used to be. Father Time is catching up with both he and Arum. They have probably only a few years left before retirement and than what?

Having said that, I think somehow, Mayweather-Pacquiao could have been made with King brought into to mediate. Don is still the best at getting things done.

Another point is how Don likes to rip of his fighters, reportedly taking 50-60% of a boxers' purses when most promoters generally take about 30%. When Don's done with a lot of fighters their "rich connection strings are cut, often leaving them battered and broke." Does Floyd see this? Maybe he might need that reality check to soften up his arrogance. Either that, or losing in the ring.

Jack
Method
There is NO WAY Floyd can NOT understand that, just as there is absolutely ZERO, and I mean ZE-ROH chance that DK is making 50% off of Floyd. NO fucking way.

I personally don't think Floyd Needs, DK, but I'm glad to see DK in the mix.

I'm sick of Richard fucking Schaefer.
Snoop
After seeing all the moves, the negotiation is almost becoming more interesting than the fight itself at this point. Arum's chess game is very good.
thehype
QUOTE (caneman @ Aug 7 2010, 05:32 PM) *

Gabe Montoya perhaps?

dntknw.gif

If so, I'd LOVE to know who his solid is at DKP (because I doubt he's talking to anyone close to Mayweather).

For the record though, I still say it's smoke and mirrors.

On a side note, DK just having Floyd and Evander Holyfied (I thought Tyson was supposed to show, but I didn't notice him) at the event probably brought more eyes to it than normal.
PR316
QUOTE (JD @ Aug 7 2010, 04:15 PM) *
Arum has won the PR war by way of Julian Jackson like KO.

And the funny thing about it is that Floyd helped Arum do it to him.

He never stood up on his behalf. He ran and hid from the media behind his team, made excuses, and now he's got this circus going on with Don King. Throw in the fact that Floyd isn't exactly the most likeable guy in the sport, and Bob Arum wins this thing going away.

Its also obvious that Arum is having Pacquiao face the likes of Margarito, Cotto, and Clottey in large part because Mayweather refused to fight those guys. I look for Top Rank to milk the hell out of Pacquiao-Margarito and do everything in their power to make this an absolute smash because that will put Floyd at a significant disadvantage at the negotiating table. And if Pacquiao absolutely beats the bloody hell out of Margarito, Arum will not allow Floyd's spoiled ass to push his man around an inch.

Floyd is that poker player who's got a 2 and 7 offsuit and has been bluffing his way through the game and everyone secretly knows he's bluffing. His leverage is all but gone now. His act of "making smart business decisions" does not play anymore. Arum and Pacquiao proceeded to call Mayweather's bluff and Floyd folded. The same guy who talked on and on about "I wanna clean up boxing" refuses to fight the guy who's considered his biggest challenge and on top of it, his BIGGEST PAY DAY..

Not a good look, Floyd....nono.gif Very poor.

There is no reason for this to not happen unless somebody wants it to NOT happen. Some say its Arum. I'm not so sure. Surely Bob must know that Pacquiao is not going to be fighting too much longer. I say Manny at most has 2 more years left in boxing before he dedicates himself to being a full time politician. Thats not a long time considering that PBF only fights once a year now. Why wouldn't he want to make this fight??.. The only reason I could think of his that he doesnt' like doing business with Mayweather but at the end of the day, money is money and Arum will do what he has to do to make that money.... So who???... Can't be Golden Boy.. They want to get rich too off this. We're talking the biggest fight in boxing history as far as MONEY goes right??... So who??... Who doesn't want Mayweather-Paquiao to happen??.. Who benefits most from Mayweather-Pacquiao not happening???....

Its not that much of a mystery, my friends. FLOYD MAYWEATHER, thats who.. Its not about the money. Floyd can make 20 plus million fighting somebody like Sergio Mora.. Floyd can make that kind of money fighting anybody he wants not named Pacquiao. And he knows that. So why turn down 40 plus million??...

Its all about that 0... Thats what this boils down to at the end of all the bullshit and smokescreens in the media. Floyd may not be scared of the man Pacquiao himself. But I truly believe Floyd is very afraid of losing. I don't think he could handle the mere thought of losing. Which is why as he's moved up in weight he's gotten more careful and selective about which fights to take. And since Floyd has come back, nothing's changed.

This whole thing with King may or may not be true but it doesn't matter. The fight won't happen simply because Floyd doesn't want it.
thehype
rolleyes_anim.gif

I think all that could have been posted in another thread.

On a side note, Mayweather vs. Pacquiao could have taken place on May 1 of this year if Arum was really interested in making the fight.
Keith

I'm not even sure I want to see them fight anymore.

I love the Pac Margarito matchup and I could care less if Floyd ever fights again.
Nay_Sayer
QUOTE (thehype @ Aug 9 2010, 12:05 PM) *
On a side note, Mayweather vs. Pacquiao could have taken place on May 1 of this year if Arum was really interested in making the fight.

Exactly.

Either Arum or Pacquiao or both left 40-50 million dollars on the table due to drug testing.

Can someone please explain the logic in their actions?
gravytrain
QUOTE (PR316 @ Aug 9 2010, 12:48 PM) *
This whole thing with King may or may not be true but it doesn't matter. The fight won't happen simply because Floyd doesn't want it.

How does Mayweather not want the fight to happen? There has been one legitimate attempt at negotiating the fight and Mayweather agreed to the 10 million for each pound over and made concessions with the drug testing.

QUOTE (thehype @ Aug 9 2010, 01:05 PM) *
rolleyes_anim.gif

Arum couldn't make that fight happen, Pacquiao was: scared of needles, scared of blood, weak during the Morales loss, agreeing to the 14 day cutoff, denying he'd agree to a 14 day cutoff, and now agreeing to the 14 day cutoff after the negotiations have long passed.
D-MARV
After the fight in St Louis this past weekend, Floyd was seen hanging out with Sam Watson who works with Al Hayman.

I'm not sure what's going on but I'll be interested in seeing how this thing plays out.
sweetscientist1

He never stood up on his behalf. He ran and hid from the media behind his team, made excuses, and now he's got this circus going on with Don King. Throw in the fact that Floyd isn't exactly the most likeable guy in the sport, and Bob Arum wins this thing going away.

Its also obvious that Arum is having Pacquiao face the likes of Margarito, Cotto, and Clottey in large part because Mayweather refused to fight those guys. I look for Top Rank to milk the hell out of Pacquiao-Margarito and do everything in their power to make this an absolute smash because that will put Floyd at a significant disadvantage at the negotiating table. And if Pacquiao absolutely beats the bloody hell out of Margarito, Arum will not allow Floyd's spoiled ass to push his man around an inch.

Floyd is that poker player who's got a 2 and 7 offsuit and has been bluffing his way through the game and everyone secretly knows he's bluffing. His leverage is all but gone now. His act of "making smart business decisions" does not play anymore. Arum and Pacquiao proceeded to call Mayweather's bluff and Floyd folded. The same guy who talked on and on about "I wanna clean up boxing" refuses to fight the guy who's considered his biggest challenge and on top of it, his BIGGEST PAY DAY..

There is no reason for this to not happen unless somebody wants it to NOT happen. Some say its Arum. I'm not so sure. Surely Bob must know that Pacquiao is not going to be fighting too much longer. I say Manny at most has 2 more years left in boxing before he dedicates himself to being a full time politician. Thats not a long time considering that PBF only fights once a year now. Why wouldn't he want to make this fight??.. The only reason I could think of his that he doesnt' like doing business with Mayweather but at the end of the day, money is money and Arum will do what he has to do to make that money.... So who???... Can't be Golden Boy.. They want to get rich too off this. We're talking the biggest fight in boxing history as far as MONEY goes right??... So who??... Who doesn't want Mayweather-Paquiao to happen??.. Who benefits most from Mayweather-Pacquiao not happening???....

Its not that much of a mystery, my friends. FLOYD MAYWEATHER, thats who.. Its not about the money. Floyd can make 20 plus million fighting somebody like Sergio Mora.. Floyd can make that kind of money fighting anybody he wants not named Pacquiao. And he knows that. So why turn down 40 plus million??...

Its all about that 0... Thats what this boils down to at the end of all the bullshit and smokescreens in the media. Floyd may not be scared of the man Pacquiao himself. But I truly believe Floyd is very afraid of losing. I don't think he could handle the mere thought of losing. Which is why as he's moved up in weight he's gotten more careful and selective about which fights to take. And since Floyd has come back, nothing's changed.

sweetscientist1
Dude, sorry to tell you. That this point of view you have is absolute fantasy. I mean, I've read really bad commentary before, but dam. This really is the silliest shit I've ever read. The man that holds the cards is the man that earns the biggest paydays. And he ain't with Top Rank! Also, as for King. I'm sure Arum would welcome his old nemesis to the negotiating table because "with DON KING, WE KNOW THE FIGHT WILL BE MADE". See man, it's time for scrubs like you to really open there eyes and get off Manny's crotch! The fact of the matter is that both of these fighters badly want this fight. The politics of dancing are so strong that Floyd is looking for another way to get this fight made, because his current group obviously can't get it done. So Floydie is being proactive in his own way to make it happen on his terms. Go Floyd!! Fuck the Naysayers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Jack 1000
QUOTE (PR316 @ Aug 9 2010, 11:48 AM) *

Couldn't have said it better.

Jack
D-MARV
QUOTE (Jack 1000 @ Aug 9 2010, 05:02 PM) *
Couldn't have said it better.

Jack

Yes you could.

Marvelous
D-MARV

About the only thing in this post that I agree with.
Its also obvious that Arum is having Pacquiao face the likes of Margarito, Cotto, and Clottey in large part because Mayweather refused to fight those guys.

Nope. Arum is tossing all these names in the ring with Pacquiao because it's all in-house pussy, it's called "Pimping". Arum is treating his stable like a hooker ring and Pacquiao just happens to be his number 1 bimbo.
I look for Top Rank to milk the hell out of Pacquiao-Margarito and do everything in their power to make this an absolute smash because that will put Floyd at a significant disadvantage at the negotiating table.

Let's see... Pacquiao smashes Margarito while Floyd smashed the guy who smashed Margarito first. Hmmmm... I'm not to sure how that gives Manny the edge at the negotiating table. If Pacquiao-Margarito can do over 1.5 million PPV buys then you would have a valid argument.
His leverage is all but gone now.

How? He just schooled that guy who Pacquiao BLATANTLY ducked.

Arum and Pacquiao proceeded to call Mayweather's bluff and Floyd folded.

Why didn't they call his bluff in January?

There is no reason for this to not happen unless somebody wants it to NOT happen. Some say its Arum. I'm not so sure. Surely Bob must know that Pacquiao is not going to be fighting too much longer. I say Manny at most has 2 more years left in boxing before he dedicates himself to being a full time politician.

This is very true... Certain individuals definitely don't want to see this fight happen at this moment for whatever reasons BUT Floyd wanted this fight on March 13.
and Yes, Bob Arum is aware that Pacquiao will likely hang them up after a couple of more fights which is exactly why Bob has been lining up "in house" fighters that have next to NO chance of beating Pacquiao.

Well, it is about the money. We're talking about a guy who calls himself "Money". You see, like Pacquiao, I only see Floyd fighting a couple of more times before he has to hang them up. There will be NO other paydays like Pacquiao available if he does not take this fight. Sure Floyd can make 15 million fighting the likes of Marquez or Mora but that's a HELLUVA lot less then 50 or even 60 million to fight Pacquiao. Floyd may be arrogant, annoying, and snobby but he's certainly not stupid. I find it hard to believe that Floyd will turn down 50 million dollars not to fight Pacquiao.

Its all about that 0... Thats what this boils down to at the end of all the bullshit and smokescreens in the media. Floyd may not be scared of the man Pacquiao himself. But I truly believe Floyd is very afraid of losing. I don't think he could handle the mere thought of losing.

Sure, Floyd puts a lot of stock in that "0". I think he likes Money more than he likes to be undefeated though.

Which is why as he's moved up in weight he's gotten more careful and selective about which fights to take. And since Floyd has come back, nothing's changed.

Floyd moved up in weight because that is where the money was at. He laid out his plan years ago. He's been chasing De La Hoya for a number of years. And what do you mean nothing's change? He came back and fought a guy that MANY claimed he ducked all these years.
Keith
QUOTE (sweetscientist1 @ Aug 9 2010, 04:23 PM) *
Dude, sorry to tell you. That this point of view you have is absolute fantasy. I mean, I've read really bad commentary before, but dam. This really is the silliest shit I've ever read. The man that holds the cards is the man that earns the biggest paydays. And he ain't with Top Rank! Also, as for King. I'm sure Arum would welcome his old nemesis to the negotiating table because "with DON KING, WE KNOW THE FIGHT WILL BE MADE". See man, it's time for scrubs like you to really open there eyes and get off Manny's crotch! The fact of the matter is that both of these fighters badly want this fight. The politics of dancing are so strong that Floyd is looking for another way to get this fight made, because his current group obviously can't get it done. So Floydie is being proactive in his own way to make it happen on his terms. Go Floyd!! Fuck the Naysayers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Stop being a clown.

PR316 is a respected member of the forum.

Learn to disagree with respect.
JD
Interestingly, Iole reported that Pacquiao - Cotto was a much bigger weekend for Vegas casinos than Mayweather - Mosley...I think 50 / 50 is fair.

And while Top Rank is annoying with the keeping it in the fam...Floyd has been fighting under the GBP promotional license for a little while now, when is the last time he fought a non-GBP fighter?

Arum and Floyd have so much disdain for each other because they are so much alike.
D-MARV
Did Hatton have any affiliation with Golden Boy? I really don't remember.

Marquez was definitely a set up for Floyd and Shane was the best possible fight that Floyd could have taken.

I don't think ANYONE is hyped for this Margarito-Pacquiao fight outside of a few hardcore fans. This fight will do SHIT compared to Mayweather-Mosley.
gravytrain
QUOTE (D-MARV @ Aug 9 2010, 10:50 PM) *

Marquez was definitely a set up for Floyd and Shane was the best possible fight that Floyd could have taken.

I don't think ANYONE is hyped for this Margarito-Pacquiao fight outside of a few hardcore fans. This fight will do SHIT compared to Mayweather-Mosley.

No, Hatton had no affiliation with GBP. The funny thing is Arum proposed Mayweather/Hatton while Mayweather was still a TR fighter.

I might try to watch a stream of Pacquiao/Margarito, I don't really care to see the Tijuana Light Breeze get embarrassed. I think it does the same as the Clottey fight, maybe a little better.
Fitz
QUOTE (gravytrain @ Aug 10 2010, 02:07 PM) *
No, Hatton had no affiliation with GBP. The funny thing is Arum proposed Mayweather/Hatton while Mayweather was still a TR fighter.

I might try to watch a stream of Pacquiao/Margarito, I don't really care to see the Tijuana Light Breeze get embarrassed. I think it does the same as the Clottey fight, maybe a little better.

Are you sure? I was sure that Hatton signed to GBP at least, and I also thought that they promoted or had something to do with the Mayweather-Hatton fight.
thehype
QUOTE (JD @ Aug 9 2010, 08:55 PM) *
Interestingly, Iole reported that Pacquiao - Cotto was a much bigger weekend for Vegas casinos than Mayweather - Mosley...I think 50 / 50 is fair.

And while Top Rank is annoying with the keeping it in the fam...Floyd has been fighting under the GBP promotional license for a little while now, when is the last time he fought a non-GBP fighter?

Arum and Floyd have so much disdain for each other because they are so much alike.

Casino revenue is irrelevant. Well...I shouldn't say that, but the only REAL relevance it has is when it comes to them making an offer for the venue. Other than that, it's all about PPV money baby...at least that's all HBO and advertisers really care about. LOL.

For the record, Ricky Hatton was the last time Floyd fought a non-GBP fighter.

In fact, technically speaking, the only Golden Boy fighters he's fought were Shane Mosley, Juan Manuel Marquez and Oscar De La Hoya.

Actually, come to think of it, Manny Pacquiao has fought more Golden Boy fighters (Ricky Hatton, Oscar De La Hoya, Juan Manuel Marquez, Marco Antonio Barrera) than Floyd has. And don't get me started on his list of Top Rank fighters, including Joshua Clottey, Miguel Cotto, David Diaz, Jorge Solis, Hector Velazquez, Erik Morales, Juan Manuel Marquez (the first fight).

laugh.gif
thehype
QUOTE (Fitz @ Aug 9 2010, 11:20 PM) *
Are you sure? I was sure that Hatton signed to GBP at least, and I also thought that they promoted or had something to do with the Mayweather-Hatton fight.

I'm pretty sure.

March 12, 2008, 9:09 AM ET
British boxer Hatton joins Golden Boy Promotions
By Dan Rafael
ESPN.com
http://sports.espn.go.com/sports/boxing/ne...tory?id=3282542

Or you can check here: http://tinyurl.com/39kea9p

Or here: http://lmgtfy.com/?q=Ricky+Hatton+signs+with+Golden+Boy

I think Floyd was still retired around that time.

Golden Boy had something to do with the promotion because ever since Floyd split with Arum, Golden Boy has sold their promotional services to him.
thehype
QUOTE (D-MARV @ Aug 9 2010, 02:03 PM) *
After the fight in St Louis this past weekend, Floyd was seen hanging out with Sam Watson who works with Al Hayman.

I'm not sure what's going on but I'll be interested in seeing how this thing plays out.

I already told you what's going on and how this will play out.

Revisit this link: http://www.fighthype.com/community/index.p...6087&st=10#

Do you guys think I'm just making blind guesses?

laugh.gif

Just messin with ya...but the fact that he was hanging with Watson is all you really need to know to figure it all out.

dntknw.gif
Spyder
QUOTE (Fitz @ Aug 10 2010, 12:20 AM) *

Golden Boy had EVERYTHING to do with that fight.

http://www.goldenboypromotions.com/media/2...2.8.07_date.htm

http://www.boxingscene.com/?m=show&id=12588

I don't know why Hype is trying to make it seem otherwise...lol...fess up Ben...why are you trying to hijack the narrative? laugh.gif

Fitz
lol
JD
QUOTE (thehype @ Aug 10 2010, 12:41 AM) *
Casino revenue is irrelevant. Well...I shouldn't say that, but the only REAL relevance it has is when it comes to them making an offer for the venue. Other than that, it's all about PPV money baby...at least that's all HBO and advertisers really care about. LOL.

For the record, Ricky Hatton was the last time Floyd fought a non-GBP fighter.

In fact, technically speaking, the only Golden Boy fighters he's fought were Shane Mosley, Juan Manuel Marquez and Oscar De La Hoya.

Actually, come to think of it, Manny Pacquiao has fought more Golden Boy fighters (Ricky Hatton, Oscar De La Hoya, Juan Manuel Marquez, Marco Antonio Barrera) than Floyd has. And don't get me started on his list of Top Rank fighters, including Joshua Clottey, Miguel Cotto, David Diaz, Jorge Solis, Hector Velazquez, Erik Morales, Juan Manuel Marquez (the first fight).

laugh.gif

I don't think the Casinos and those paying the site fees would consider revenue brought in that weekend by the fight irrelevant...it's all part of the money generated by these fights. So maybe they need to up the site fee to get these guys what they want. Irrelevant to HBO? Yes...I would agree with that, but the casinos? I would think otherwise.

As for Hatton...like Spyder said, that fight was all GBP...Hatton' promotional group couldn't do it, just like Floyd's, shortly after he signed with GBP anyway. The point was, Floyd and Arum do the same exact things...over time, yes, Pacquiao has fought more GBP fighters, but of late, which is what I am speaking of - it has been all in house, just like Floyd has done with GBP fighters.
caneman
QUOTE (thehype @ Aug 9 2010, 01:05 PM) *
rolleyes_anim.gif

I don't really believe that but ok!
laugh.gif

QUOTE (D-MARV @ Aug 9 2010, 10:50 PM) *

YES HE DID!

QUOTE (gravytrain @ Aug 10 2010, 12:07 AM) *

WRONGGGGGGGGGGGGGG

QUOTE (thehype @ Aug 10 2010, 12:49 AM) *
I already told you what's going on and how this will play out.

Revisit this link: http://www.fighthype.com/community/index.p...6087&st=10#

Do you guys think I'm just making blind guesses?

laugh.gif

Just messin with ya...but the fact that he was hanging with Watson is all you really need to know to figure it all out.

dntknw.gif

NO MATTER WHAT BEN, you are the man! Can you get an interview with PBF himself & ask the hard questions that we all wanna know? The funny thing for me is I can see PBF sign with King but can't see PBF sign a multi fight deal! I see him only fighting one more time! I just don't think he really cares about a true legacy, it's all about MONEY for him & you can't totally hate on him for that!
thehype
QUOTE (Spyder @ Aug 10 2010, 01:13 AM) *
Golden Boy had EVERYTHING to do with that fight.

http://www.goldenboypromotions.com/media/2...2.8.07_date.htm

http://www.boxingscene.com/?m=show&id=12588

I don't know why Hype is trying to make it seem otherwise...lol...fess up Ben...why are you trying to hijack the narrative? laugh.gif

I really don't understand why people can't READ EVERYTHING that I post before addressing me.

I NEVER SAID Golden Boy Promotions didn't have anything to do with the fight.

Like I already stated:

Golden Boy had something to do with the promotion because ever since Floyd split with Arum, Golden Boy has sold their promotional services to him.

What I DID SAY was that Ricky Hatton WAS NOT a Golden Boy Promotions fighters at the time he fought Floyd Mayweather.

The question that JD asked was when was the last time Floyd Mayweather faced a non-GBP fighter? The answer is Ricky Hatton!

If you recall (do your research...Google it, Bing it...or whatever your choice of search engines may be), Ricky Hatton was with Dennis Hobson just prior to the Mayweather fight. Then they had a falling out and, from what I recall, Hatton dumped him and was basically a free agent. He did not sign with Golden Boy Promotions until AFTER he had already fought Floyd Mayweather. Golden Boy Promotions sent out a lengthy press release to make the announcement in March of 2008, which again, was AFTER the Mayweather fight.

http://www.fighthype.com/pages/content2162.html

I REPEAT, RICKY HATTON DID NOT SIGN WITH GOLDEN BOY UNTIL AFTER HIS FIGHT WITH FLOYD MAYWEATHER

Please re-read the above referenced press release and pay special attention to the part that reads:

Hatton's first fight under this new promotional contract will be announced at a later date.

This was never about WHO promoted the event...but instead about who the last non-GBP fighter was that Floyd faced. And like I said, the answer is Ricky Hatton.

But whatever.
caneman
QUOTE (thehype @ Aug 10 2010, 12:23 PM) *
I really don't understand why people can't READ EVERYTHING that I post before addressing me.

I NEVER SAID Golden Boy Promotions didn't have anything to do with the fight.

Like I already stated:

What I DID SAY was that Ricky Hatton WAS NOT a Golden Boy Promotions fighters at the time he fought Floyd Mayweather.

The question that JD asked was when was the last time Floyd Mayweather faced a non-GBP fighter? The answer is Ricky Hatton!

If you recall (do your research...Google it, Bing it...or whatever your choice of search engines may be), Ricky Hatton was with Dennis Hobson just prior to the Mayweather fight. Then they had a falling out and, from what I recall, Hatton dumped him and was basically a free agent. He did not sign with Golden Boy Promotions until AFTER he had already fought Floyd Mayweather. Golden Boy Promotions sent out a lengthy press release to make the announcement in March of 2008, which again, was AFTER the Mayweather fight.

http://www.fighthype.com/pages/content2162.html

I REPEAT, RICKY HATTON DID NOT SIGN WITH GOLDEN BOY UNTIL AFTER HIS FIGHT WITH FLOYD MAYWEATHER

Please re-read the above referenced press release and pay special attention to the part that reads:

Hatton's first fight under this new promotional contract will be announced at a later date.

This was never about WHO promoted the event...but instead about who the last non-GBP fighter was that Floyd faced. And like I said, the answer is Ricky Hatton.

But whatever.

INTERESTING!! He sure was hanging out with BHop, Mosley & DLH when he wasn't even signed to fight anyone!
thehype
QUOTE (JD @ Aug 10 2010, 06:41 AM) *
I don't think the Casinos and those paying the site fees would consider revenue brought in that weekend by the fight irrelevant...it's all part of the money generated by these fights. So maybe they need to up the site fee to get these guys what they want. Irrelevant to HBO? Yes...I would agree with that, but the casinos? I would think otherwise.

As for Hatton...like Spyder said, that fight was all GBP...Hatton' promotional group couldn't do it, just like Floyd's, shortly after he signed with GBP anyway. The point was, Floyd and Arum do the same exact things...over time, yes, Pacquiao has fought more GBP fighters, but of late, which is what I am speaking of - it has been all in house, just like Floyd has done with GBP fighters.

I was being facetious about casino money, which is why I said, "Well...I shouldn't say that, but the only REAL relevance it has is when it comes to them making an offer for the venue," and then put a big "LOL" at the end. HOWEVER, I will say that the PPV revenue, combined with the revenue generated from sponsors, FAR exceeds any site fee that a casino may offer, so when it comes to purse splits, I would think the ability to generate that kind of revenue is just a little more important than what the casinos are bringing in for a particular weekend...otherwise, like you said, maybe they SHOULD be asking for a far greater site fee (I'm thinking maybe double) than what they're getting. LOL. But whatever....that's a discussion for a totally different thread.

As for Hatton and Spyder...please see my above post. Like I said, Hatton WAS NOT a Golden Boy fighter until the year 2008...which was AFTER his fight with Mayweather. I never said Golden Boy DID NOT promote the event. WTF? Do you guys think I'm dumb or something? LOL.

Back to in-house fighters....there's a big difference between what Arum is doing and what Floyd is doing. Floyd isn't going out of his way to only fight Golden Boy fighters. I mean, Shane Mosley was the best fight to be made other than Mayweather vs. Pacquiao...there's no denying that. And Marquez...that was a tune-up after a lengthy retirement...I give him a pass on that one, just like I would give Pacquiao a pass on David Diaz (seeing as how that was his first and only fight at lightweight). But prior to that, like I already established, Ricky Hatton wasn't a Golden Boy fighter when that fight was being finalized and took place. Baldomir and Judah weren't Golden Boy fighters either...but that's besides the point. The point is, Bob Arum is PURPOSELY only matching Manny Pacquiao with Top Rank fighters now....Cotto, Clottey, Margarito...even him mentioning potential fights with Foreman, Cotto again, or Julio Cesar Chavez Jr....the guy is BLATANTLY keeping the fights in-house...and he's not the only fighter he's doing it with. But I think we both agree on that, so there's really no debating it. But I totally disagree with the notion that Floyd Mayweather is only looking to fight Golden Boy fighters....especially when he's only fought 3 in his entire career.

All I was simply saying was that Ricky Hatton was the last time that Floyd Mayweather fought a non-GBP fighter.

caneman
Ben, I might not always agree with you but you are one smart mofo bruh! You can back much of what you say with your knowledge! Mad props bruh!
thehype
QUOTE (caneman @ Aug 10 2010, 12:13 PM) *
I don't really believe that but ok!
laugh.gif

You don't believe that? Well, think of it this way...if Arum would have put just as much effort into getting Manny Pacquiao to agree to the 14-day cutoff during the arbitration in January as he apparently did 4 months later in May when he evidently convinced Pacquiao to finally agree to the 14-day cutoff, then guess what...Mayweather vs. Pacquiao would have taken place on May 1 with a 50/50 purse split, 14-day cutoff for random blood testing, 8 oz. gloves, etc. Instead, however, Arum threw like 5 hissy fits, set 4 different deadlines, threatened to walk on 3 occassions and came up with 69 different excuses why Pacquiao WOULD NOT take any blood tests. Oh, but now, all of a sudden, Arum is the nice guy working hard to make this fight and telling everyone not to be too harsh on Floyd. LOL. Unfuckingbelievable!

laugh.gif

YES HE DID!

NO HE DIDN'T!

WRONGGGGGGGGGGGGGG

RIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIGHT

NO MATTER WHAT BEN, you are the man! Can you get an interview with PBF himself & ask the hard questions that we all wanna know? The funny thing for me is I can see PBF sign with King but can't see PBF sign a multi fight deal! I see him only fighting one more time! I just don't think he really cares about a true legacy, it's all about MONEY for him & you can't totally hate on him for that!

What hard question do you want to know the answer to? I can probably answer it for you already.

laugh.gif
thehype
QUOTE (caneman @ Aug 10 2010, 12:30 PM) *
INTERESTING!! He sure was hanging out with BHop, Mosley & DLH when he wasn't even signed to fight anyone!

"Hanging out" and "being signed" are two different things.

Miguel Cotto hangs out with Oscar De La Hoya, but he's not a Golden Boy fighter.

Omar Henry has been doing some SERIOUS hanging out with Oscar De La Hoya and the Mayweathers, but he's not a Golden Boy fighter either.

Hell, honestly, I wouldn't even call guys like Ricky Hatton, Juan Manuel Marquez, Shane Mosley, Winky Wright, David Haye or Bernard Hopkins Golden Boy fighters. Truth be told, their relationship with Golden Boy Promotions is really no different than Floyd Mayweather's relationship with Golden Boy Promotions. Those guys are all basically free agents who utilize the promotional services of Golden Boy because they have to.

But again, that's a whole different topic which can be discussed in a different thread if someone so chooses to start it.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.