Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Vitali Klitschko vs. Shannon Briggs Oct. 16 (Preview Discussion Only)
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
King Eugene
ESPN

Vitali Klitschko to fight Shannon Briggs
By Dan Rafael
ESPN.com

For years, former heavyweight champion Shannon Briggs has called for a fight with one of the Klitschko brothers. Now, he'll have his opportunity.

Vitali Klitschko will defend his title for the fifth time when he meets the New Yorker on Oct. 16 at the O2 World Arena in Hamburg, Germany, Klitschko adviser Bernd Boente told ESPN.com on Tuesday.

"Contracts are signed, everything is done," Boente said, adding that there will be news conferences to make the formal announcement in Klitschko's native Kiev, Ukraine, on Aug. 30 and another in Hamburg, his adopted hometown, on Aug. 31.

"I am very happy that I am finally fighting in Hamburg again. I started in Hamburg as a pro [in 1996]," said Klitschko, who hasn't fought there since a 1999 knockout of Obed Sullivan. "The O2 World is a fantastic arena and the fans in Hamburg know their boxing, and a great atmosphere is guaranteed."

Klitschko (40-2, 38 KOs) has been dominant since exiting a nearly four-year, injury-induced retirement in 2008, beating Samuel Peter to reclaim the belt he gave up when he retired.

He stopped Juan Carlos Gomez and Cristobal Arreola before shutting out Kevin Johnson in a decision in his first three defenses.

In his most recent fight, Klitschko, 39, dominated Albert Sosnowski en route to a 10th-round knockout on May 29.

"Shannon Briggs is an unbelievable trash-talker, but he is definitely a very strong challenger," Klitschko said. "He has huge experience, has way more professional fights than I have and is one of the hardest punchers in the heavyweight division. I know I will have to prepare myself with my coach [Fritz Sdunek] very intensely."

Said Boente: "It's a very interesting matchup. Vitali has to be prepared very well because Briggs is very dangerous for the first six or seven rounds and you can't underestimate the guy. Vitali knows this not a walkover. You know Briggs. He can show up as a really good fighter and perform on world-class level, or he can show up like he did in the [Sultan] Ibragimov fight and just walk around the ring."

Briggs, 38, claimed the lineal championship with a controversial decision win against George Foreman in 1997 before losing his claim when Lennox Lewis knocked him out in his next fight in 1998.

In 2006, Briggs trailed on all three scorecards when he knocked Sergei Liakhovich out of the ring with one second left in the fight for a dramatic comeback to win an alphabet belt.

Briggs made his first defense against Ibragimov in June 2007 and sleepwalked through a desultory decision loss.

After a 2-year layoff following the loss, Briggs returned and has gone 3-0 with a no contest. The no contest was originally a first-round knockout against Marcus McGee in December, but Briggs later tested positive for a banned substance and had the result changed in addition to being briefly suspended and fined by the New York commission.

With such a dearth of opponents to fight, Klitschko, the older brother of fellow heavyweight champ Wladimir Klitschko, is giving Briggs (51-5-1, 45 KOs) the shot he's wanted for years.

"I tried for a long time to get into the ring with one of the Klitschkos. Now it's time to write history," Briggs said. "Most of their opponents [expletive] in their pants before they enter the ring. But I will put a lot of pressure on Klitschko. Klitschko can look at his WBC belt for a couple of more weeks. After Oct. 16, it belongs to me."

Boente said plans for American television coverage have not been finalized, but he said he has been in touch with ESPN, which is covering Wladimir Klitschko's Sept. 11 defense against Samuel Peter in Germany.

"I have been in touch with [ESPN programmer] Doug Loughrey and hopefully we can work something again for Vitali's fight," Boente said.

Dan Rafael is ESPN.com's boxing writer.

Vitali by mid round stoppage. I wouldn't put any stock in Briggs stamina.
Warlord
Shannon "I'm better than Joe Louis" Briggs gets his big asthmatic ass stretched within 8.

The only mystery is how many posts will it take for someone to come in here trying to pretend Briggs actually has a shot? I'm thinking it occurs within 5 responses posted after this comment.
The Original MrFactor
Briggs will shoot his load in the first 2 rounds. If he doesnt land the lucky haymaker, expect a lot of heavy breathing and lumbering before its mercifully stopped in 7. I dont see how Briggs got this shot, but I guess there are few recognizable American heavyweights that the Kliots havent already beaten thoroughly. When will Riddick Bowe and Holyfield get their shot??
ROLL DEEP
QUOTE (Fitz @ Aug 18 2010, 02:13 AM) *
Haha.

My thoughts exactly.

Pffffffft.
Lil-lightsout
Fuck it. I don't care if Briggs loses, which most likely will happen. ALL I care about is that Shannon does not waste this HUGE opportunity and get in his best shape. AND go in the ring to freaking win and let it all hang out. At least go down swinging and try to win. I am beyond sick of these heartless challengers not even trying against the Klits. It would be so nice to see some shake up in the heavyweight division, not saying it is going to happen. Let's just hope for an entertaining competitive fight.

Where is that dude who posted a bit back that was a manager or team member of the Briggs camp? Wonder what he has to say?
King Eugene
QUOTE (Lil-lightsout @ Aug 18 2010, 02:45 AM) *
Fuck it. I don't care if Briggs loses, which most likely will happen. ALL I care about is that Shannon does not waste this HUGE opportunity and get in his best shape. AND go in the ring to freaking win and let it all hang out. At least go down swinging and try to win. I am beyond sick of these heartless challengers not even trying against the Klits. It would be so nice to see some shake up in the heavyweight division, not saying it is going to happen. Let's just hope for an entertaining competitive fight.

Where is that dude who posted a bit back that was a manager or team member of the Briggs camp? Wonder what he has to say?

When I posted this I had him in mind. I think a few posters might have ran him off with all the shots they took at Briggs laugh.gif
Lil-lightsout
QUOTE (King Eugene @ Aug 18 2010, 03:04 AM) *
When I posted this I had him in mind. I think a few posters might have ran him off with all the shots they took at Briggs laugh.gif

LOL. You remember too. I thought some were respectful to him though also. It be nice to see what he has to say.
Warlord
QUOTE (Lil-lightsout @ Aug 18 2010, 02:12 AM) *
LOL. You remember too. I thought some were respectful to him though also. It be nice to see what he has to say.

Sorry, I think I may have been a douche to him.

He used to sign his posts "Team Briggs" or some shit like that.
The Ollie Reed Fan Club
QUOTE (Warlord @ Aug 18 2010, 03:55 AM) *

You a douche to someone? Say it aint so laugh.gif

Oh fuck it I give Shannon a punchers chance. Vitali isn't getting any younger and although he will probably win, it wouldn't surprise me if Shannon shuts his eyes and has an 'Oliver McCall moment.'
Warlord
laugh.gif
Lil-lightsout
QUOTE (Warlord @ Aug 18 2010, 03:55 AM) *

laugh.gif

People were just being realistic to him considering Briggs' career. Why should we all the sudden believe in him now? Some were just respectful to him, and others were not as pleasant. Though I do not remember anyone being a complete douche, even you. It has been a while though.
Warlord
QUOTE (Lil-lightsout @ Aug 18 2010, 04:23 AM) *
laugh.gif

People were just being realistic to him considering Briggs' career. Why should we all the sudden believe in him now? Some were just respectful to him, and others were not as pleasant. Though I do not remember anyone being a complete douche, even you. It has been a while though.

Naa, I was just joking about the douche part.

I just called him out on saying people should get behind Briggs because he was an "American." I was like... so?
Mean Mister Mustard
Vitali is getting older and slower but even at this stage he will not lose, especially if it's against a guy who isn't all that skilled to begin with, and who fights as if he had a collapsed lung.
SENTRAL
So this potential massacre is signed and sealed then?

OK then Shannon. You can't prepare for a long fight because you and the world are all too aware you only have one half functioning lung. You can't attempt to outbox Vitali because you lack skills and disappointly for you, you only have one half functioning lung and title fights last 12 rounds.12 rounds Shannon, thats 36 minutes my friend. So how do you prepare?
Well this isnt a deserved opportunity so why dont you simply train for a 2 round fight and jump all over this guy? Its the only plausible chance you have. To catch him cold. What is there to lose? You are going to get stopped anyway so why not give the paying fans 3 to 6 mins excitement and fly right at this guy like a kamikaze pilot. Might be fun?

Well its worth a try.
ROLL DEEP
QUOTE (SENTRAL @ Aug 18 2010, 11:10 AM) *

OK then Shannon. You can't prepare for a long fight because you and the world are all too aware you only have one half functioning lung. You can't attempt to outbox Vitali because you lack skills and disappointly for you, you only have one half functioning lung and title fights last 12 rounds.12 rounds Shannon, thats 36 minutes my friend. So how do you prepare?
Well this isnt a deserved opportunity so why dont you simply train for a 2 round fight and jump all over this guy? Its the only plausible chance you have. To catch him cold. What is there to lose? You are going to get stopped anyway so why not give the paying fans 3 to 6 mins excitement and fly right at this guy like a kamikaze pilot. Might be fun?

Well its worth a try.

We can only hope.

I think Briggs will start off by TRYING to pressure a little until Vitali will sting him with a few solid shots....Briggs will retreat, then get jabbed, right handed at will and as the rounds progress, Vitali will land more, Briggs will cover more before Vitali gets him out of there in about 8 / 9 rounds.

We'll have a nice interview from both fighters complimenting each others efforts and that'll be that.
JonnyBlaze
QUOTE (SENTRAL @ Aug 18 2010, 10:10 AM) *

Well its worth a try.

Good post..So true..

Vitali by KO in 8
The Ollie Reed Fan Club
Agree with pretty much everything in the last few posts above.

Shannon has to look at his right hand like it is a lottery ticket. Now maybe if the stars align and the God's are smiling then he could just be holding the winning ticket. However you can't win the lottery unless you buy a ticket ie. He actually has to be prepared to throw the damn thing despite what he may get back in return.

SENTRAL already broke it down time wise. I give Shannon approx. 3 rounds or 9 minutes to cash his ticket. After that it will be a slow wheezing painful demise for the Brooklynite.

One thing I don't wanna hear is Shannon pre-fight saying he's in the best shape of his career, ready to go 12 and that the asthma won't be a problem, only for him to say post fight that he would've won if it hadn't been for his asthma! Seriously that shit is old.

Blaze I would say your prediction looks solid, Vitalia KO in the 8th.
Nay_Sayer
QUOTE (Mean Mister Mustard @ Aug 18 2010, 09:40 AM) *
Vitali is getting older and slower but even at this stage he will not lose, especially if it's against a guy who isn't all that skilled to begin with, and who fights as if he had a collapsed lung.

Hmmmm...

I don't know if I would describe Briggs as "a guy who isn't all that skilled". In fact, I'd say Briggs' skills are on par with or superior to Klitschko's...
JonnyBlaze
QUOTE (The Ollie Reed Fan Club @ Aug 18 2010, 04:05 PM) *
Agree with pretty much everything in the last few posts above.

Shannon has to look at his right hand like it is a lottery ticket. Now maybe if the stars align and the God's are smiling then he could just be holding the winning ticket. However you can't win the lottery unless you buy a ticket ie. He actually has to be prepared to throw the damn thing despite what he may get back in return.

SENTRAL already broke it down time wise. I give Shannon approx. 3 rounds or 9 minutes to cash his ticket. After that it will be a slow wheezing painful demise for the Brooklynite.

One thing I don't wanna hear is Shannon pre-fight saying he's in the best shape of his career, ready to go 12 and that the asthma won't be a problem, only for him to say post fight that he would've won if it hadn't been for his asthma! Seriously that shit is old.

Blaze I would say your prediction looks solid, Vitalia KO in the 8th.

Briggs may be making a bad decision getting overly aggressive with Vitali though..Vitali will also get more aggressive when guys come at him the way I see Briggs comin..When Briggs sees this happening,he might slow up on his attack and become tame like all the Klitchko victims of late..The asthma shit is old..Yeah,it's crazy he's done what he's done with asthma,but if he has to blame a loss on asthma,he needs to stop boxing..Thats a condition,not something like a cut..
BGv2.0
QUOTE (Nay_Sayer @ Aug 18 2010, 04:07 PM) *
Hmmmm...

I don't know if I would describe Briggs as "a guy who isn't all that skilled". In fact, I'd say Briggs' skills are on par with or superior to Klitschko's...

My thought exactly Nay Sayer!

No matter how bulky he is....Briggs's jab is just as good if not faster than Vitali's...WHEN HE CHOOSES TO USE IT!

IF he were smart.....he would go out and try to blast Vitali in the first 2-3 rounds.....THEN....he needs to settle down to his slow pace he likes and simply use his quick, strong jab....double and triple it....as we al know too well Vitali willbe all to happy to go this slow jab trade pace for the next 7-8 rounds.....then jump on him again during the last 2.

IF he uses this plan...I could really see him busting Vitali's face all to hell.

With this being in Germany....I really don't see anything less than a KO getting Briggs the win...and I don't think Vitali's chin is as bad as his little bros.

too bad.....Briggs gets his shot but it's with the sturdier brother.

Though I have not at all been impressed with Vitali's last few fights.....

to hell with it.....this is Briggs last chance before he rides off into the sunser.....he's an old name that have been in the HW division for years.....I say he gets the win!

Mark it down in this thread......Briggs wins....in Germany!
Nay_Sayer
QUOTE (BGv2.0 @ Aug 18 2010, 04:33 PM) *
My thought exactly Nay Sayer!

No matter how bulky he is....Briggs's jab is just as good if not faster than Vitali's...WHEN HE CHOOSES TO USE IT!

IF he were smart.....he would go out and try to blast Vitali in the first 2-3 rounds.....THEN....he needs to settle down to his slow pace he likes and simply use his quick, strong jab....double and triple it....as we al know too well Vitali willbe all to happy to go this slow jab trade pace for the next 7-8 rounds.....then jump on him again during the last 2.

IF he uses this plan...I could really see him busting Vitali's face all to hell.

With this being in Germany....I really don't see anything less than a KO getting Briggs the win...and I don't think Vitali's chin is as bad as his little bros.

too bad.....Briggs gets his shot but it's with the sturdier brother.

Though I have not at all been impressed with Vitali's last few fights.....

to hell with it.....this is Briggs last chance before he rides off into the sunser.....he's an old name that have been in the HW division for years.....I say he gets the win!

The old man isn't what he was - which wasn't much to begin with. Those injuries gotta be catching up with him and he's not moving around the ring like he once was. Plus, Briggs has the height and reach to get to the old man's chin. The old Klit likes to fight @ a slower pace these days so -IF- Briggs can establish his jab then the old Klit is gonna have a long night, IMO...
Lil-lightsout
QUOTE (BGv2.0 @ Aug 18 2010, 05:33 PM) *
...and I don't think Vitali's chin is as bad as his little bros.

Vitali's chin and toughness is far superior to Wlad's.

I hope you are right about the verdict. Realistically though, expect a respectful loser in Briggs making the usual excuses.
Lil-lightsout
QUOTE (Nay_Sayer @ Aug 18 2010, 05:07 PM) *
Hmmmm...

I agree with that. Briggs got some pretty decent skills in there.
JLUVBABY
if briggs is smart he gets himself into the best shape possible and for the first 3 rounds (or as long as he can) goes for broke... we all know briggs wont make it all 12 but for the first 3 or so rounds i think he can be at least partially dangerous.... lennox didnt really hurt vitali much cept for the cut so i dont see briggs really doing much BUT... vitali has looked more beatable as of late and Briggs does have a punch.. IF briggs is a better single one punch ko fighter than lewis was then maybe he will have at least a punchers chance to make it fun... till he tires that is... lol... then game over...
King Eugene
Could you imagine the HW division if Briggs did win?

laugh.gif Shit would still look the same. I'm sure Vitali has a rematch or you gotta face my brother next clause and Briggs would be brutally stopped next go round.
STEVENSKI
Well this fight is just another disgrace in the annals of boxing. What a farce.
JonnyBlaze
QUOTE (King Eugene @ Aug 19 2010, 12:21 AM) *

laugh.gif Shit would still look the same. I'm sure Vitali has a rematch or you gotta face my brother next clause and Briggs would be brutally stopped next go round.

Shit,who wouldn't want the "you gotta face my brother(the recognized champ of the division) clause??Get a shot of being the unified champ and almost undisputed..Someone would end up with 3 of the 4 top belts..
King Eugene
QUOTE (JonnyBlaze @ Aug 19 2010, 05:27 AM) *
Shit,who wouldn't want the "you gotta face my brother(the recognized champ of the division) clause??Get a shot of being the unified champ and almost undisputed..Someone would end up with 3 of the 4 top belts..

David Haye dntknw.gif
alaganza
There's still a heavyweight division? Who knew? thumbsdown_anim.gif
KookedKrack
QUOTE (The Ollie Reed Fan Club @ Aug 18 2010, 04:05 PM) *
I give Shannon approx. 3 rounds or 9 minutes to cash his ticket. After that it will be a slow wheezing painful demise for the Brooklynite.

laugh.gif

My God I died laughing at this......

Vatali via massacre
BGv2.0
QUOTE (King Eugene @ Aug 19 2010, 12:21 AM) *

A Briggs win really changes some things. I've thought about the "face my brother" aspect....and unlike many I think Wlad is actually better suited for Briggs's power....I think Vitali is the harder of the two.....for Briggs and his style.

Think of this....Briggs beats Vitali....and then Haye beats Briggs....he then has two belts.

I know a lot of people think Haye has been a pussy in regard to the Klits....but it's instances like this that make me think he is playing it very smart.

In the short time that Haye has signed on to fight Audley.....HBO has cut off their contract with the Klits, which is forcing them to fight at the very least capable fighters....who knows should Briggs pull it off....and then Haye gets that fight.....IMHO that is played in a brillant manner.

Why do the dirty work to have to face both brothers when you can have Briggs or Peter do the job for you?
The Ollie Reed Fan Club
QUOTE (KookedKrack @ Aug 19 2010, 11:11 AM) *
laugh.gif

My God I died laughing at this......

Vatali via massacre

Would Shannon be able to use his inhaler in between rounds? Fuck having a cut man all he would need is a nebulizer specialist. laugh.gif
JonnyBlaze
QUOTE (King Eugene @ Aug 19 2010, 04:59 AM) *
David Haye dntknw.gif

Pussy..That's an opportunity of a life time..To be the next undisputed champ since Lennox..
The Ollie Reed Fan Club
QUOTE (Fitz @ Aug 19 2010, 06:48 PM) *
Isn't using an inhaler period, a performance enhancer? After all, that's what people said Mayweather was on for using a needle for pain relief in the hand, lol.

Not saying you said this, but people felt that was a performance enhancer. I believe an inhaler falls in the same category.

I'm sure it is Fitz, i was just playin with the inhaler thing. But yeah it would definately be perfromance enhancing.
JD
This fight will look similar to the Vitali - Peter fight.
Lil-lightsout
QUOTE (JD @ Aug 19 2010, 08:35 PM) *
This fight will look similar to the Vitali - Peter fight.

I actually disagree with you JD. I think for a few rounds at least it might be competitive. Peter did absolutely nothing to try and win. Plus just going by looks, ain't Briggs a lot taller than Peter? Just thinking Vitali won't be near as effective boxing with Briggs as he was with the shorter Peter. Just my thought. After Briggs gasses and what not, then it should be a massacre.
BGv2.0
Briggs might just shock us all. You have to think that Briggs will have to KNOW this will be his absolute last chance....time is not on his side to continue to lose and then try to get back in line and try again. He has to know that...if not...he's a fool.

I mean even at the very least he has to think that if he puts up a good fight and still loses he can then claim he deserves a shot at little brother Wlad.

Briggs either has to win this fight OR make it so close that he can make that argument. What is not an option is losing by boring 12 round or late round jab fest stoppage....

That will essentually kill his career IMHO....

SO knowing this....let's hope he puts it all into training and getting the win.

I like Briggs....nothing would make me happier than to see him ride off into the sunset by getting a win over a what is at this time considered a real HW champion with a real belt (unlike his win over Sergi)....then call it a day. Hell even if he wanted to defend it once and even lose it to Haye or something....then retire.

Briggs has been in long enough and has given me enough entertainment as a fan to make me want that for him.

Briggs/Botha...Briggs/Lewis...Briggs/Foreman...and even his dramatic last second win over Sergi....all excellent fights that I have on dvd and remember fondly when I think about them.

Sure he's had some stinkers....but it's not been a constant like Vitali....the last Vitali fight I enjoyed was Vitali/Arreola and that was only due to the effort put forth by Chris. as for offensive entertainment....I think his fight with Sanders was the last one I enjoyed.....that's been awhile.

JD
LOL...Briggs sucks...he has no stamina...and he has never actually been all that good at anything.

That Liakhovich fight was one of the worst fights I have ever seen...you really are a fan of the heavys, BG.
BGv2.0
QUOTE (JD @ Aug 19 2010, 10:06 PM) *
LOL...Briggs sucks...he has no stamina...and he has never actually been all that good at anything.

That Liakhovich fight was one of the worst fights I have ever seen...you really are a fan of the heavys, BG.

Oh no doubt....for 35:59 seconds it was an awful POS....but he knocked his F'N block off at the end...and that shit came out of nowhere....

trust me it's not like I watch the whole thing just to get to the last second of the fight....lol

I like KOs....when coupled with HWs....

If a fighter can lay an egg but give me a an impressive KO at the end (and before Klit fans start in...one that involves something OTHER than a jab an exhaustion)...I'm pretty much satisfied.
rusty_trombone
I thought Shannon Briggs was gunned down in a drive by in the Bee Kay son.
JD
QUOTE (BGv2.0 @ Aug 19 2010, 11:19 PM) *
Oh no doubt....for 35:59 seconds it was an awful POS....but he knocked his F'N block off at the end...and that shit came out of nowhere....

trust me it's not like I watch the whole thing just to get to the last second of the fight....lol

I like KOs....when coupled with HWs....

If a fighter can lay an egg but give me a an impressive KO at the end (and before Klit fans start in...one that involves something OTHER than a jab an exhaustion)...I'm pretty much satisfied.

OK...that's better...LOL

After that fight I just never wanted to see either one fight again.

I gather you will not get any US TV for this.
BGv2.0
QUOTE (JD @ Aug 20 2010, 06:40 AM) *
OK...that's better...LOL

After that fight I just never wanted to see either one fight again.

I gather you will not get any US TV for this.

IDK...I've heard they are talking to ESPN for both Peter/Wlad and this one.

At the very least these are interesting matchups....even if most think they are automatic Klit victories...they are still interesting....which is much more than can be said in relation to their last few fights.
Jack 1000
QUOTE (ROLL DEEP @ Aug 18 2010, 10:23 AM) *
We can only hope.

I think Briggs will start off by TRYING to pressure a little until Vitali will sting him with a few solid shots....Briggs will retreat, then get jabbed, right handed at will and as the rounds progress, Vitali will land more, Briggs will cover more before Vitali gets him out of there in about 8 / 9 rounds.

We'll have a nice interview from both fighters complimenting each others efforts and that'll be that.

Yea,

I agree. That will be it,

You know what? I have such low hopes for Briggs that even if he blitzes like hell for one to three rounds, I would even be shocked at that coming off such a long layoff. But it will be either a very methodical fight after three action rounds, or follow the pattern of most recent Klitschko fights, a very methodical boring fight with the plodding and occasional jabbing, with Shannon to scared to do anything, and Vitali getting the late stoppage or a UD against another has-been, never was, or never will be. Briggs is a has-been. But has it been so long that he can't do it anymore?

Jack
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.