Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Cotto vs. Chavez Jr...Possibly?
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
King Eugene
Cotto vs. Chavez Jr.

When word first started to spread that Julio Ceasar Chavez Jr. might potentially fight fellow Top Ranker Miguel Cotto I presumed it was just more in a long string of misbegotten hypes for the legend's son.

Looks like I may be wrong. Chavez Jr. has pulled out of a scheduled September 22 meeting with Pawel Wolak, apparently because he wasn't going to be physically prepared, and to clear the way for a potential Cotto Showdown.

I still find it a bit hard to believe. I mean, Cotto is going to tear the kid up, right? It's one thing for Chavez to perform well against John Duddy, but Miguel Cotto is another matter entirely. I'm envisioning here a whipping reminiscent of Cotto-Gomez. Yeah, Chavez is bigger than Gomez, but can't you just see Cotto ripping his body to bits?

We'll have the added excitement of a Freddie Roach-Manny Stewart meeting. I don't think the fight will be meaningful, or competitive, but sometimes it's fun to watch a good squash match. Cotto has earned a couple easy marks for his career, and now is as fine a time as any for Chavez to cash in on an exciting performance and his famous name.

Do you have any confidence in Chavez beating Pawel Wolak? I don't, so let's see him get buzzed by a proper champion.

Read more: http://www.sportingnews.com/blog/The_Rumbl...o#ixzz0wwneGvoL

Roach vs. Steward
Mexico vs. Puerto Rico

I see a lot of people giving Chavez a good chance but I don't see him surviving that Cotto body attack. I think Cotto still is a great fighter but was a victim of bad style matchups. He'll look pretty good in this fight...if it happens.
The Ollie Reed Fan Club
I think this is a good move from the Chavez camp. At some point he is going to lose and it won't be to a quality fighter. Best take the big name and cash in the chips while you can. Also if ever he was to have an outside chance then this would be it. Roach has already broken down Cotto once maybe he can do it again (although I doubt it.)

Not a bad move from Cotto either. Decent money, probably PPV and this gives Steward another training camp with him without having to take a step up against an elite fighter. He keeps his name in the press and fights what will be a fairly high profile fight.

Both Manny and PBF get heat for taking sub standard fighters, or weight drained fighters, I wonder if Cotto will get the same heat for taking what most of us believe to be a scrub talent?
King Eugene
QUOTE (The Ollie Reed Fan Club @ Aug 18 2010, 05:40 AM) *
I think this is a good move from the Chavez camp. At some point he is going to lose and it won't be to a quality fighter. Best take the big name and cash in the chips while you can. Also if ever he was to have an outside chance then this would be it. Roach has already broken down Cotto once maybe he can do it again (although I doubt it.)

Not a bad move from Cotto either. Decent money, probably PPV and this gives Steward another training camp with him without having to take a step up against an elite fighter. He keeps his name in the press and fights what will be a fairly high profile fight.

Both Manny and PBF get heat for taking sub standard fighters, or weight drained fighters, I wonder if Cotto will get the same heat for taking what most of us believe to be a scrub talent?

Nah I dont believe Cotto will take much heat at all. Wouldn't it be a Unifying match if it takes place? Like you said its another camp for Steward with Cotto to build more chemistry and Chavez is a legit threat. It'll be easy to sell him to the casual fans off of his name and undefeated record(no matter how padded) alone.
King Eugene
QUOTE (Fitz @ Aug 18 2010, 05:42 AM) *
Call me crazy, but I think Chavez will make it much tougher than some people may expect.

He'll definitely come to fight and not pick up a paycheck. I'd be willing to bet it would be a pretty action packed fight with some nice exchanges for however long it lasted. Not PPV worthy although it will definitely be on PPV.
The Ollie Reed Fan Club
QUOTE (Fitz @ Aug 18 2010, 04:42 AM) *
Call me crazy, but I think Chavez will make it much tougher than some people may expect.

I think he'll make it 4 rounds of tough and then Miguel will take over. Sorry I've seen too many garbarge Chavez fights to think that much of him.

Put it this way, if Manny or Floyd chose this guy next what would the fans make of it?
King Eugene
QUOTE (The Ollie Reed Fan Club @ Aug 18 2010, 05:51 AM) *
I think he'll make it 4 rounds of tough and then Miguel will take over. Sorry I've seen too many garbarge Chavez fights to think that much of him.

Put it this way, if Manny or Floyd chose this guy next what would the fans make of it?

Didn't Manny or shall I say Arum consider him at one point?
The Ollie Reed Fan Club
QUOTE (King Eugene @ Aug 18 2010, 04:53 AM) *
Didn't Manny or shall I say Arum consider him at one point?

I don't remember him being in the mix but who knows? Guys throw out names like confetti these days.

Remember Matthew Hatton? Ha ha, good coz neither does his own mother. laugh.gif
King Eugene
QUOTE (The Ollie Reed Fan Club @ Aug 18 2010, 06:01 AM) *
I don't remember him being in the mix but who knows? Guys throw out names like confetti these days.

Remember Matthew Hatton? Ha ha, good coz neither does his own mother. laugh.gif

Hatton...Hatton...Hatton...hmmm that sounds familiar. laugh.gif
Mean Mister Mustard
Is Arum crazy or does he have something up his sleeve?
PR316
It'll be competitive early before Cotto beats him down.

The gap in class and experience is too much. Its not fair. Its gonna be man vs boy in there. Worse than Trinidad-Reid
JD
QUOTE (Mean Mister Mustard @ Aug 18 2010, 10:41 AM) *
Is Arum crazy or does he have something up his sleeve?

He couldn't make Foreman off of Cotto...so he will trying making Chavez off of him.

If that doesn't work, Cotto is reestablished with two big wins and can make for a rematch against Pacquiao.

The real question is, who does Oscar fight when he comes back?
Spyder
It smells of creative matchmaking by the folks at Top Rank.

Arum was pushing for a Chavez-Pavlik fight on December 4th, so I guess this means that Kelly can still make him a little more money. Cotto on the other hand must be seen as used goods, and Arum fully expects the kid to come out with the win.

Nay_Sayer
Is this fight happening @ 154 or 160?
PR316
QUOTE (JD @ Aug 18 2010, 12:30 PM) *
He couldn't make Foreman off of Cotto...so he will trying making Chavez off of him.

If that doesn't work, Cotto is reestablished with two big wins and can make for a rematch against Pacquiao.

The real question is, who does Oscar fight when he comes back?

I have admit that when Oscar first retired I thought he'd be back for sure.

Now I'm not so certain. Sure there's alot of money to be made whenever its Oscar De La Hoya, be it for himself or his opponent.

But damn, what in the hell would he wanna do that for at this point?.... Off for over 2 years and his reflexes appeared all but gone against Forbes and we all saw what happened against Pacquiao.

I can't see him beating any of the top guys at 147(Mayweather, Pacquiao, Berto), nor can I see him compete at 154 with the likes of Martinez, Williams, Cotto, Margarito, Angulo, or even Chavez Jr.

Would be an ill advised comeback thats for sure. Then again, most comebacks tend to be.
gravytrain
QUOTE (Nay_Sayer @ Aug 18 2010, 03:48 PM) *
Is this fight happening @ 154 or 160?

I really wonder what Arum is doing with this one, Chavez can barely even make 154. Draining the guy you're trying to bring along and hoping he'll outwork Cotto?
BigG
Cotto by late TKO..Chavez JR will get punished.
Nay_Sayer
QUOTE (gravytrain @ Aug 18 2010, 03:16 PM) *

I really wonder what Arum is doing with this one, Chavez can barely even make 154. Draining the guy you're trying to bring along and hoping he'll outwork Cotto?

Correct me if I'm wrong but hasn't Chavez' last few fights been @ 160 because he had problems making 154?

If this fight is @ Jr Middle then give me Cotto by KO...
gravytrain
QUOTE (Nay_Sayer @ Aug 18 2010, 05:01 PM) *
Correct me if I'm wrong but hasn't Chavez' last few fights been @ 160 because he had problems making 154?

If this fight is @ Jr Middle then give me Cotto by KO...

Jr. got caught using diuretics last time he fought at 154.

This is a weird match up from Arum. If Cotto loses to Chavez then Cotto will probably be done, Chavez could be Arum's next big thing so I don't see him wanting a loss. Then Arum puts it at a weight Jr. can barely make? If Arum is using this fight as a backup for Pacquiao if Pacquiao can't get the Mayweather fight then I see both Chavez and Cotto losing.. Why not put him against a top 140 lb guy and make the bigger fight while keeping your other fighter's career intact? It's not like Pacquiao will be having many more fights.
The Ollie Reed Fan Club
QUOTE (gravytrain @ Aug 18 2010, 06:23 PM) *
Jr. got caught using diuretics last time he fought at 154.

This is a weird match up from Arum. If Cotto loses to Chavez then Cotto will probably be done, Chavez could be Arum's next big thing so I don't see him wanting a loss. Then Arum puts it at a weight Jr. can barely make? If Arum is using this fight as a backup for Pacquiao if Pacquiao can't get the Mayweather fight then I see both Chavez and Cotto losing.. Why not put him against a top 140 lb guy and make the bigger fight while keeping your other fighter's career intact? It's not like Pacquiao will be having many more fights.

If Cotto can't get by Chavez then he is pretty much done anyways, so why not keep it in-house and make some good money.

Same goes for Chavez, realistically he knows Junior is no world beater and will lose to some scrub at some point so why not get at least one big money off of him before that happens? He's already made good coin out of the Chavez name so far. IF Junior were to pull the upset then he has a bonafide superstar on his hands. Maybe Foreman/Chavez after that? It's a win/win for ole Bob.
kidbazooka1
QUOTE (PR316 @ Aug 18 2010, 03:09 PM) *
I have admit that when Oscar first retired I thought he'd be back for sure.

Now I'm not so certain. Sure there's alot of money to be made whenever its Oscar De La Hoya, be it for himself or his opponent.

But damn, what in the hell would he wanna do that for at this point?.... Off for over 2 years and his reflexes appeared all but gone against Forbes and we all saw what happened against Pacquiao.

I can't see him beating any of the top guys at 147(Mayweather, Pacquiao, Berto), nor can I see him compete at 154 with the likes of Martinez, Williams, Cotto, Margarito, Angulo, or even Chavez Jr.

Would be an ill advised comeback thats for sure. Then again, most comebacks tend to be.

I agree but i would like to see Oscar comeback and face Chavez Jr. so we could see Jr beat a past his prime Oscar just like Oscar did to his old man.

with that said i don't see Jr. beating Cotto he'll be competitve for a few rds but once Cotto find his range he'll break Jr down and take a UD.
gravytrain
I think the fight is just to have an opponent for Pacquiao if the Mayweather fight doesn't happen, that and for him to have an opponent after the Mayweather fight. Otherwise Cotto/Chavez would probably be happening at 160.

The weird thing about the match up is putting Chavez in with Cotto at a weight that favors Cotto. If Cotto beats him he's nothing to gain, if Chavez loses then he'll have to get built back up to where he's. Why would Arum keep him from fighting Pavlik[160] but him in with Cotto at 154? More importantly; is the choice worth a Pacquiao/Cotto II?
JLUVBABY
i still believe cotto is past his prime... if foreman had a punch he would have really done some damage to cotto... cotto didnt have to respect his power... cotto looked shakey to me in that fight and you could see pacs big head in the crowd just lickin his chops at the prospect of fighting cotto a second time...
gravytrain
QUOTE (JLUVBABY @ Aug 19 2010, 06:06 PM) *
i still believe cotto is past his prime... if foreman had a punch he would have really done some damage to cotto... cotto didnt have to respect his power... cotto looked shakey to me in that fight and you could see pacs big head in the crowd just lickin his chops at the prospect of fighting cotto a second time...

If Arum thought people would buy the fight we'd be seeing the rematch on Nov 13th. He no longer wanted to pursue that fight for the same reasons he said there could be a demand for the fight though lol.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.