Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: What If.... Michael Moorer
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
JLUVBABY
just got in from fishing and was running random thoughts in my head when this one came across my mind.... What happens to michael moorer and his career had he stayed at light heavyweight instead of moving up to challenge the heavies when he did?... i can see a very significant fight taking place between m.m and roy jones jr.... what are you guys thoughts on this?... i think he would have ruled the division for a while...
The Ollie Reed Fan Club
QUOTE (JLUVBABY @ Aug 20 2010, 09:51 PM) *
just got in from fishing and was running random thoughts in my head when this one came across my mind.... What happens to michael moorer and his career had he stayed at light heavyweight instead of moving up to challenge the heavies when he did?... i can see a very significant fight taking place between m.m and roy jones jr.... what are you guys thoughts on this?... i think he would have ruled the division for a while...

I think a prime Roy would've beaten him, just too quick. Moorer could get discouraged in fights too and Roy had the kind of style that discourages guys real quick. Roy would've been wary of Moorer's power however and would've fought a safety first type fight to eek out a UD.
Lil-lightsout
Moorer was definitely one of my favorites watching him at light heavyweight. I agree with you Jluv, Moorer would have ruled for a long time. I loved watching his interviews too. Moorer had himself a nice career, but if he would have stayed at 175 for a long time and ruled, he could have went down as one of the best 175 pounders ever.

Roy would have bothered him with his speed and skills, but man all it would have taken is one short straight left from MM to end things.
Spyder
Roy might have stayed at 168 a little longer too.
rusty_trombone
Well, probably 2 things. He would be Michael "Poorer", and he probably wouldn't sound like mushmouth.
BGv2.0
QUOTE (rusty_trombone @ Aug 21 2010, 11:01 AM) *
Well, probably 2 things. He would be Michael "Poorer", and he probably wouldn't sound like mushmouth.

Rarely do we agree...but yep...this is 100% spot on.

Although I think he would have stayed the top guy in the LHW division for quite some time....that division at that time even moreso than today was simply a weigh station for guys moving up....so he would have made some decent cash over time...but never the amounts he made for the fights he fought at HW....

At that time he was fighting the biggest money makers out there....Foreman, Holy twice. Those 3 fights alone most likely netted him more than his whole career at LHW would have.

BUT....all those wars with Holy, Foreman,Tua...and even lesser guys like Cooper and Botha....really did a number on his grey matter....he was never really all that menatlly stable prior to all that...now he really sounds awful.

I heard him just two nights ago on a show called "Bizography"...it combines biographies with celebs that have successful businesses as well...and this one was on Foreman and his grill.....he sounded terrible....much worse than he did a few years back on the Legendary Nights series...and even worse than a few months back on the 24/7 deal.

rusty_trombone
QUOTE (BGv2.0 @ Aug 21 2010, 01:05 PM) *
Rarely do we agree...but yep...this is 100% spot on.

Although I think he would have stayed the top guy in the LHW division for quite some time....that division at that time even moreso than today was simply a weigh station for guys moving up....so he would have made some decent cash over time...but never the amounts he made for the fights he fought at HW....

At that time he was fighting the biggest money makers out there....Foreman, Holy twice. Those 3 fights alone most likely netted him more than his whole career at LHW would have.

BUT....all those wars with Holy, Foreman,Tua...and even lesser guys like Cooper and Botha....really did a number on his grey matter....he was never really all that menatlly stable prior to all that...now he really sounds awful.

I heard him just two nights ago on a show called "Bizography"...it combines biographies with celebs that have successful businesses as well...and this one was on Foreman and his grill.....he sounded terrible....much worse than he did a few years back on the Legendary Nights series...and even worse than a few months back on the 24/7 deal.

I think we agree on more than you realize.

Also, that show is the same one I saw Michael Moorer talking like a retard on. Who knew, Foreman didn't want anything to do with the grill until his wife started using it.
JonnyBlaze
Moorer had an amazing record as is..52 wins with only 4 losses..40 KOs..He doesn't get talked about too much but should be..
neophyte7
Moorer would have kicked the shit out of JOnes who would have had to run a marathon just to survive in there...Moorer is a hall of famer.. first southpaw heavyweight champ 50 plus wins... 4 losses very good fighter who would have been better is 175 was a money division
BGv2.0
QUOTE (neophyte7 @ Aug 22 2010, 09:16 AM) *
Moorer would have kicked the shit out of JOnes who would have had to run a marathon just to survive in there...Moorer is a hall of famer.. first southpaw heavyweight champ 50 plus wins... 4 losses very good fighter who would have been better is 175 was a money division

I tend to agree. If Lou Devalle could put Jones on his ass....I have very little doubt the power Moorer held at the weight would have done more damage.

Also his whole southpaw....not really southpaw stance tended to really throw people off. He was not a natural southpaw....he was a righty that fought int he southpaw stance....so he fooled a lot of folks becasue you were expecting that power from the left but he was still packing it in the right...yet not fighting in the right handed stance....very confusing form.

Actually one of the few boxers I've ever seen where it was very successful for him.
BigG
Moorer was kind of an underachiever IMO...really talented fighter in his prime...would've been hell for Jones at LHW...
sweetchuck
Remember Roy did go up and fight as a heavyweight. Albeit against John Ruiz. Roy also fought a lot of southpaws as a light heavyweight. Roy would beat Moorer, but it would be a good fight, at either weight.
Sunni6Killer
He would've been an all time great.
He would've KO'd RJJ at LHW.
Big Slim Sweet
Moorer would have been hell for Roy no doubt. Honestly I doubt Roy ever would have moved up to fight him. Moorer's one failing as a heavyweight - his chin - wouldn't have been a factor at LHW.

I didn't realize Moorer's speech was suffering. That's too bad. I thought he sounded alright on 24/7 a year ago. Intense and slightly deranged, sure. Like he always did. But I don't recall detecting any slurring.

Both of Moorer's KO's to Foreman and Tua were from shots that, live, I couldn't tell connected flush. It took the replays to see how clean those knockouts were.
rusty_trombone
QUOTE (Big Slim Sweet @ Aug 26 2010, 09:37 AM) *
Moorer would have been hell for Roy no doubt. Honestly I doubt Roy ever would have moved up to fight him. Moorer's one failing as a heavyweight - his chin - wouldn't have been a factor at LHW.

I didn't realize Moorer's speech was suffering. That's too bad. I thought he sounded alright on 24/7 a year ago. Intense and slightly deranged, sure. Like he always did. But I don't recall detecting any slurring.

Both of Moorer's KO's to Foreman and Tua were from shots that, live, I couldn't tell connected flush. It took the replays to see how clean those knockouts were.

Yeah, he sounds really bad now. Not as bad as Meldrick Taylor or anything, but he is definitely going down that road, just try and look up that show BG and I were talking about on youtube. He sounds like he got smashed in the head a few too many times.
BGv2.0
QUOTE (Big Slim Sweet @ Aug 26 2010, 08:37 AM) *

Yeah it's really surprising how far gone he is sounding from 24/7 to just the other day....

I recall the whole phantom punch thing surrounding Foreman's KO of Moorer.....but hell the glazed look in Moorer's eyes....blood spurting out of his mouth....and the 32 stitches he had to get inside of his mouth after the fight...leave no doubt it was legit...or should.

And...about 2 rounds before that punch...Atlas was telling him EXACTLY what Big George was trying to do....hide that right behind the left jab....I guess he just thought Teddy was full of shit...lol...
Big Slim Sweet
QUOTE (BGv2.0 @ Aug 27 2010, 10:49 AM) *
Yeah it's really surprising how far gone he is sounding from 24/7 to just the other day....

I recall the whole phantom punch thing surrounding Foreman's KO of Moorer.....but hell the glazed look in Moorer's eyes....blood spurting out of his mouth....and the 32 stitches he had to get inside of his mouth after the fight...leave no doubt it was legit...or should.

And...about 2 rounds before that punch...Atlas was telling him EXACTLY what Big George was trying to do....hide that right behind the left jab....I guess he just thought Teddy was full of shit...lol...

I think Moorer started looking at Atlas as the boy who cried wolf. Teddy pulled so much crazy shit in that corner to reach him that Moorer eventually didn't believe a word he was saying. Remember that time where Atlas claimed to have Moorer's kids on the phone sobbing because their daddy didn't want to fight? lol, come on..

The overhead replay of the Foreman punch is the one where you can see what a beaut it was. His right hand just came crashing into the space where Moorer's chin was previously occupying.

The Tua KO was the really bizarre one. A right hook that looked like it whistled past his chin. I remember live thinking, 'Oh he's lucky that shot didn't connect.' And then the next thing I know, Moorer's hanging backward over the middle rope like an early century torture victim.
JLUVBABY
QUOTE (Big Slim Sweet @ Aug 28 2010, 03:00 PM) *
The Tua KO was the really bizarre one. A right hook that looked like it whistled past his chin. I remember live thinking, 'Oh he's lucky that shot didn't connect.' And then the next thing I know, Moorer's hanging backward over the middle rope like an early century torture victim.

ROFLMAO!!!!!!!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.