Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Potential bantamweight Showtime double header
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
Fitz
http://www.fightnews.com/Boxing/bantamweig...oom-nov-6-57300

Looks like SHOWTIME has a terrific bantamweight doubleheader in the works for November 6. IBF bantamweight champion Yohnny Perez (20-0-1, 14 KOs) will take on Joseph Agbeko (27-2, 22 KOs) in a rematch, and IBO bantamweight king Vic Darchinyan (35-2-1, 27 KOs) faces unbeaten IBF #6/WBO #10 rated Abner Mares (20-0-1, 13 KOs). Darchinyan is also currently the WBC and WBA super flyweight champ. No site yet, but the STAPLES Center in Los Angeles is in play.

This is what boxing is about and is why I love the lower weight classes. These are fighters and the smaller guys continue to fight one another, the guys at 147 are divas.
I am loving this if it happens.
Mean Mister Mustard
I would have prefered the tournament they had conceived, but this will do.

The first Perez-Agbeko fight was a fast paced, entertaining fight, and I expect the rematch to be fought in the same fashion.

Mares-Darchinyan is going to be interesting. Mares showed true grit against Perez but came up short in the middle rounds and had to settle for a draw, but he showed what he's all about. His lack of power puts him at a disadvantage here, but Agbeko isn't that big a puncher and he beat Darchynian using good head movement and accurate lead right hands, so Mares does have a shot here.
BigG
Perez will win in a close fight and I got Mares over Darchinyan by decision.
salvador
Mares Darchinyan will be great.
lloyd mayflower
Totally agree about the guys at 147 being divas and would like to add that 140 may also be headed down that road. They should take a good hard look at these little guys to see how real fighters go about their business
D-MARV
I love it.
Snoop
I say Mares owns Darchinyan. I'd love to see that.
salvador
QUOTE (Snoop @ Aug 23 2010, 01:00 PM) *
I say Mares owns Darchinyan. I'd love to see that.

You know, I tend to agree with you about 75%. Mares is definitely the better boxer and Darchinyan can be outboxed. But I'm not totally convinced that Mares has the guts on the off chance that Darchinyan lands something big.

Also, I wrote Goldenboy promotions trying to get one of Mares' t-shirts that he wore into the ring against Yonny Perez (cool fucking shirt) and the son of a bitch (whoever the hell that sob was at Goldenboy) never even bothered to email me back to tell me whether or not they actually had any shirts to sell. Fuck him. That's so unprofessional it hurts. Obviously Goldenboy doens't believe in him, so why should I.

I'll take Darchinyan by ko.
D-MARV
Mares won't "own" Vic. Certainly may beat him but Mares will be running for his life at some point in the fight.
Mean Mister Mustard
QUOTE (Fitz @ Aug 23 2010, 01:11 AM) *
I'm not too fussed about a tourney at bantam weight not happening. The only reason why I would want a tourney is so these guys get some coverage and noticed. Other than that, tournaments are perfect for divisions like 147 where it involves divas not fighting one another.
This is the perfect reason why a tournament isn't needed as seriously in these weight classes, because this just shows that eventually they will fight one another and they have been fighting one another in the lower weight classes. It all works itself out down here, and we find out who the best is because the best continues to fight the best, so a tournament not happening is a water off a ducks back for me. Sure it would be nice, but it wasn't entirely needed, other than just getting some coverage for these guys and helping them get noticed. Which is the only reason it would have to happen. Trying to force these guys to fight one another in a tournament is unnecessary because these guys are real fighters and will fight one another with or without a tournament.

That's true. I had not thought of it that way. Even though Arum 's exclusion of Montiel and Donaire in the tournament was the reason why Showtime dropped the idea, it is still possible that he will make the fight between those two, so you are right in saying that they will end up fighting each other.

I just hope they don't leave Hasegawa out of the mix later on.
Lil-lightsout
QUOTE (Fitz @ Aug 22 2010, 09:45 PM) *
http://www.fightnews.com/Boxing/bantamweig...oom-nov-6-57300

This is what boxing is about and is why I love the lower weight classes. These are fighters and the smaller guys continue to fight one another, the guys at 147 are divas.
I am loving this if it happens.

You are correct. Some guys just are interested in fighting quality fights and are fighting cause they love their sport. It is so nice to see fighters just willing to fight the best available competition.

I do see why you like Vic, the dude will fight anyone.
Lil-lightsout
QUOTE (Fitz @ Aug 23 2010, 11:44 PM) *
Yep, it's exactly why I like Vic. People may think I am a nuthugger with Vic, but I personally don't think that at all. I know he isn't some unbeatable guy, he certainly does have his flaws. But he continues to fight everyone, he talks a lot and is confident and that's ok with me win or lose, because he usually backs up what he says or at least gives it a good shot. Also, look how he got knocked out badly against Donaire. That right there is a scenario where many fighters would have been effected coming back from that knock out. They would have changed their style or they would have taken easy touch up fights.
Vic has acted like nothing has happened and since then, has knocked out Mijares and Arce and got a draw (though should have won) against Z Gorres and has become undisputed.
What isn't their to like about the guy? The way he conducts himself as a fighter and his mentality he has towards boxing is perfect and he is how a fighter should act (his confidence is optional though).

I used to not like him, for no real reason. Maybe cause he reminded me of Naz? But he has grown on me and I respect him for what you have stated above. I mean really what's not to like about a guy who makes exciting fights and is willing to get in there with anyone? That is exactly more of the type of fighters boxing needs.
AussieLad
I like Vic because he's a nasty little mother fucker who genuinely wants to knock you out and always goes for it. Theres something about his face that makes him look like an evil little bastard in the ring... lol

But the very reason i like him is also the reason we see him lose to the likes of Agbeko and to a lesser extent Donaire. Now whilst i think that Donaire has all the right tools to beat Vic, ie speed, power and the skills to back it up, i still think Vic was his own worst enemy in that fight. He had stopped Donaires brother fairly easily (despite the bullshit that went on in that fight), and i think he just thought he would walk through Donaire. He paid the price of letting his ego take over. Vic can box well when he wants to. If he were entering as the underdog in the rematch, no doubt he will fair much better. Perhaps not winning, as Donaire is all wrong for Vic, but it will be less lopsided.

Agbeko on the other hand, Vic had no business losing to. He just focused on proving that he could take out guys in the higher division, again letting his ego take over. He took Agbeko lightly. Given that he will be trying to correct past mistakes, i expect Vic to dominate a rematch. I've never been much impressed with Agbeko
Jack 1000
Anything that can be done to get more boxing on TV and more competitive fights taking place, I would love!

Jack
Snoop
QUOTE (Fitz @ Aug 24 2010, 03:50 AM) *
I actually disliked Vic at the very beginning. I didn't like his attitude and thought he wasn't the greatest fighter. I have come around since then, his confidence and cockiness is fine because he backs it up and while I still think he has flaws, I have began to appreciate him in a different way than a classic boxer. Pacquiao was kind of the same as Vic, not good technically and flaws, but the awkwardness, speed and power and strength was just too much at times. He has now become one of my favourite fighters now. A true fighters mentality.

I'd say I'm at the stage you were at before. I still don't like the guy, but there isn't a real reason beyond just getting a general vibe from him that I don't like. Maybe it's his fighting style or something, I dunno. But I do remember that one time he put one of his opponents in a coma or something and he had a genuine look of concern on his face afterward. I have respect for that.
Snoop
QUOTE (D-MARV @ Aug 23 2010, 08:21 PM) *
Mares won't "own" Vic. Certainly may beat him but Mares will be running for his life at some point in the fight.

Hmm..for some reason I though Mares was a weight class above Vic. Now this is gonna get interesting. I'm still pulling for Mares though.
salvador
QUOTE (AussieLad @ Aug 23 2010, 11:48 PM) *
I like Vic because he's a nasty little mother fucker who genuinely wants to knock you out and always goes for it.

I totally agree. I can't imagine anyone not liking him. I honestly think he'd love to fight Pac and that he'd go into that fight believing Pac was a dead man. He's just thoroughly entertaining.

kidbazooka1
Mares is much too skilled for Vic he won't stop him like Donaire did but he'll win an entertaining UD.

Perez vs Agbeko will be a repea tof the first fight to set up a remathc between Mares/Perez.
upinya
yes there is a diva in the bantam weight division.her name is nonita donuts......lol
AussieLad
Vic will fuck Mares like a $2 prostitute
The Ollie Reed Fan Club
QUOTE (AussieLad @ Sep 22 2010, 04:56 AM) *
Vic will fuck Mares like a $2 prostitute

Hey! $2 prostitutes have feelings y'know.
lloyd mayflower
QUOTE (SmartyBeardo @ Sep 22 2010, 02:54 PM) *
I am a bit disappointed about the tourney format being KOed, not because I am worried about guys fighting at Bantam (for obvious reasons), but rather because I felt it was setting a good precedent for other divisions and that it would generate a marketing hook for a wider audience.

lloyd, I don't understand why you think that 140 is headed down this road. Bradley and Maidana have proven that they will fight anyone. Alexander is stepping in with Bradley after a poor showing versus Kotelnik. Even Khan is stepping in with Maidana, which is absolutely a dangerous fight for him. Ortiz claims he is ready to take on any of the above.

Point fingers if you must but 140 is the wrong direction.

Posted that before those fights were signed, or at least nearly signed, but whatever. Until Alexander and Bradley actually fight eachother, I say the two of them have vastly over inflated opinions of self-worth. When Bradley came over here and won his belt, the first thing he said post fight was il fight who gets me paid. Thats not what I want to hear from a young as yet unproven champion. If they all fight eachother fair enough, but how long and how much bullshit has been talked to get it done. These cunts, and I include Khan in this, are all young, with not that many fights, and are only on the brink of p4p status. The way they have dragged their heels is unacceptable to me.
STEVENSKI
QUOTE (Mean Mister Mustard @ Aug 23 2010, 02:06 PM) *
Agbeko isn't that big a puncher and he beat Darchynian using good head movement and accurate lead right hands, so Mares does have a shot here.

Vic beat himself in that fight by abandoning his gameplan & reverting to loading up with bombs. When he was boxing in that fight he was controlling the action & where the fight was fought. He got discouraged & abandoned the gameplan. A clear loss but one he did not need to have.
Lil-lightsout
QUOTE (Fitz @ Sep 22 2010, 08:01 PM) *
Agreed. I thought Vic lost that fight rather than Agbeko winning it.

On his nuts as usual, lol.
kidbazooka1
QUOTE (The Ollie Reed Fan Club @ Sep 22 2010, 05:25 AM) *
Hey! $2 prostitutes have feelings y'know.

No way buddy Mares is gonna do a Donaire on Vic just waite and see.
AussieLad
Mares has some speed, but doesnt have Nonito's power. And watching the early rounds of him vs Perez, the fucker leans over too much. He's going to get clipped by a big left.

This will be the Mijares fight all over again. People riding Mares nuts, saying he will easily outbox vic, then Boom,,, thanks for coming, better luck next time
kidbazooka1
QUOTE (AussieLad @ Sep 23 2010, 02:32 AM) *
Mares has some speed, but doesnt have Nonito's power. And watching the early rounds of him vs Perez, the fucker leans over too much. He's going to get clipped by a big left.

This will be the Mijares fight all over again. People riding Mares nuts, saying he will easily outbox vic, then Boom,,, thanks for coming, better luck next time

Yeah but IMO Perez is a better fighter than Vic(not more accomplished yet but better)and couldnt do much with that either. Vic's power will always make a fight interesting but thats all he's got going for him Mares is too young and too skilled to lose to someone like Vic and while true he doesn't have Nonito's power Mares hits good enough to hurt you when hit right.
Lil-lightsout
QUOTE (Fitz @ Sep 22 2010, 11:15 PM) *
Even if I were, still much more pleasant than finding Toney's sweaty ones underneath all that fat laugh.gif

fuck.gif

That's disgusting!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.