Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Kessler Out
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
King Eugene
Kessler Pulling out of Super Six
COPENHAGEN, Denmark -- Danish boxer Mikkel Kessler says he is pulling out of the Super Six tournament because of an eye injury.

Wednesday's announcement means the bout between Kessler and American fighter Allan Green in western Denmark has been called off.

Kessler says he was not stopping his career and could continue training, adding he was "very disappointment" and that his eyes had been "bothering me for some time."

Promoter Kalle Sauerland says it was "not bad news but it is a bomb shell."

The Super Six tournament is designed to give six of the best 168-pound boxers in the world three fights each, with points awarded. The four fighters with the most points advance to semifinals, with a championship bout next year.

Who would replace him?

Jermaine could come back.

Bute doesn't seem to interested since he's making bigger fights and paydays outside the tournament

Dawson should try to get a rematch with Pascal first.

Who does that leave?
The Ollie Reed Fan Club
QUOTE (King Eugene @ Aug 25 2010, 06:37 AM) *
Kessler Pulling out of Super Six

Who would replace him?

Jermaine could come back.

Bute doesn't seem to interested since he's making bigger fights and paydays outside the tournament

Dawson should try to get a rematch with Pascal first.

Who does that leave?

Unfortunately it leaves Sakio Bika.
D-MARV
Just kick out Green and move on to the final stages.
JD
Yes - I think this is the best possible solution.

The seedings are already correct anyway.

Eff Green.
ViperSniper
No good, I hope Kessler can make a full recovery and hope it's sooner rather than later!

I say let the final 4 battle it out to the end, while Greens can then try get a rematch with Miranda instead.

Considering Bika would have been the most worthy replacement he could fight Taylor if he is ready to come back.

Let MK rest till the end of the year then set a fight with Bute next year which would lead to a mega fight with the winner of the S6 tourney later in 2011.

Mean Mister Mustard
If they don't want to kick out Green they can replace Kessler with either Bika or Andrade. This tournament deal is rough; whoever makes it to the end is one durable mofo.
Big Slim Sweet
Drop Green. Ward-Dirrell, Abraham-Froch in the semis.
thehype
QUOTE (Fitz @ Aug 25 2010, 09:02 AM) *
Fucking hell

Best and most logical answer.

Co-sign.
Lil-lightsout
Antwon Echols. dntknw.gif
The CEO
"I feel that my Hate is so powerful I can actually WILL my targets' misfortune to materialize...that I am an integral part of their demise."

secret.gif
Jack 1000
QUOTE (D-MARV @ Aug 25 2010, 07:32 AM) *
Just kick out Green and move on to the final stages.

I agree,

I wish Bute could be the replacement, but I would much rather have him work out the Canadian Superfight between Pascal and he as first priority. That fight means more to me than any fight in the tournament because of the electricity it would generate. I am pumped up just thinking about it!

So what's best is stated above. Throw Green to the curb for fighting like such a POS against Ward. Than let the final guys finish the elimination, culminating in the final bout. I don't want Jermain Taylor back in the mix for health reasons.

Jack
JLUVBABY
QUOTE (Fitz @ Aug 25 2010, 05:40 PM) *
Just kick Green out, let these final 2 match ups happen and the winners of next fights can fight each other. The reasons:

• Whoever replaces Kessler will fight Green. That will mean that it's 2 fighters who were never in the tournament to originally begin with
  • It will cut the length of time of the tournament now. Meaning the tournament can end quicker and we can make fights with fighters from the super 6 and guys like Bute, Dawson and Pascal will be available to make fights from super 6 fighters.

There is no reason to have 2 guys who were not in the tournament to fight one another. It's not as if the winner is going to progress any further.

i like this idea... this tournament has dragged on a little long... its produced some great fights i cant deny that but the time period of the tourny to me locks these guys up to fight the butes or to move up or even down in weight for too long...
Col Reb
Is the contract worded where they can kick out Green before his second guaranteed fight? This could cause legal action which could derail the whole tournament.
PR316
QUOTE (Mean Mister Mustard @ Aug 25 2010, 10:49 AM) *
If they don't want to kick out Green they can replace Kessler with either Bika or Andrade. This tournament deal is rough; whoever makes it to the end is one durable mofo.

Honestly, I think bringing in other faces just complicates it even more.

Best bet IMO would be to make both Ward-Dirrell and Abraham-Froch the semi finals and the winners face each other for the trophy, and thats that...

Most efficient way to get it done IMO.
The Original MrFactor
Let me be the 1st to call BS on the injury. I believe Kessler pulled out because he knew he wasnt goint to win. He had 2 tough fights with Ward and Froch. He lost to Ward and won by the skin of his teeth against Froch. He states He'll fight the winner of the tourney in 2011. What puts him 1st in line?!?!? Seems like a cheap way to get a high publicity fight with the winner. Kessler took his ball and went home...

If i'm wrong, I hope he makes a speedy recovery.
Fitz
QUOTE (The Original MrFactor @ Aug 26 2010, 03:36 PM) *
Let me be the 1st to call BS on the injury. I believe Kessler pulled out because he knew he wasnt goint to win. He had 2 tough fights with Ward and Froch. He lost to Ward and won by the skin of his teeth against Froch. He states He'll fight the winner of the tourney in 2011. What puts him 1st in line?!?!? Seems like a cheap way to get a high publicity fight with the winner. Kessler took his ball and went home...

His next fight was against Allan Green, the weakest fighter in the tournament, lol.

So he has his two toughest fights, and is 1-1 and then decides to take his ball home when presented with the easiest fight of the tournament, lol. That doesn't seem logical or you are suggesting he is a retard, lol.
The Original MrFactor
QUOTE (Fitz @ Aug 26 2010, 02:44 AM) *
His next fight was against Allan Green, the weakest fighter in the tournament, lol.

So he has his two toughest fights, and is 1-1 and then decides to take his ball home when presented with the easiest fight of the tournament, lol. That doesn't seem logical or you are suggesting he is a retard, lol.

Is it a given that he was going to beat Green?? I hated Ward/Green as much as the next guy. I favored Kessler to beat Greenm, but it was far from a given for me. I think Kessler's style more suits Green than Wards did. If Green showed up and threw punches he had a shot at the upset. Kessler was already upset once by Ward. I think it got a little too hot in the kitchen for him. His statement that he'll fight the winner of the tournament, makes it sound like he's gonna step away (because he would have won the tournament anyway) and wait for those guys to settle it so that they can fight him. He's quitting, but acting like he won the whole thing.
Fitz
QUOTE (The Original MrFactor @ Aug 26 2010, 06:30 PM) *
Is it a given that he was going to beat Green?? I hated Ward/Green as much as the next guy. I favored Kessler to beat Greenm, but it was far from a given for me. I think Kessler's style more suits Green than Wards did. If Green showed up and threw punches he had a shot at the upset. Kessler was already upset once by Ward. I think it got a little too hot in the kitchen for him. His statement that he'll fight the winner of the tournament, makes it sound like he's gonna step away (because he would have won the tournament anyway) and wait for those guys to settle it so that they can fight him. He's quitting, but acting like he won the whole thing.

I don't know. Considering guys Kessler has faced: Calzaghe/Ward/Froch. I doubt Green was the guy that scared Kessler.
The CEO
QUOTE (The Original MrFactor @ Aug 26 2010, 01:36 AM) *

QUOTE (The Original MrFactor @ Aug 26 2010, 04:30 AM) *

This could very well be the truth...all of it.

You have to remember...in his fight before Ward, Kessler was gettin' tagged flush by that unknown scrub, Perdomo, before he took over in the 4th round...that makes me think there was a pretty good chance that a noticeably harder hitting and better scrub in Green could possibly clean his clock...especially if the latter has a blind spot or some peripheral vision problems...

and Kessler's not a neutralizing boxer like Ward is either...gotta remember that as well...

so yeah...I totally see your angle, Factor...Kessler won a belt back in that clusterfuck with Froch and is wanting to cash out in the future....without taking any more wear and tear....it makes perfect sense.
Big Slim Sweet
QUOTE (Fitz @ Aug 25 2010, 08:55 PM) *
Yep. About the tournament dragging on too long. I only agree with that now if they replace Kessler. Before that, if we had all the original fighters still fighting. I wouldn't mind the tournament going for as long as it takes.
The problem now is that Taylor has dropped out, and now Kessler has dropped out. We would have 2 guys that were not original fighters in the tournament and even if they do fight. They aren't going to progress any further in the tournament. I think now we have 4 original fighters left, just let them fight it out and move on. We can have some interesting fights between Abraham/Froch/Ward/Dirrell/Bute/Pascal/Dawson and Kessler when he is right again.

Technically, Green or Kessler's replacement could advance if one of them knocked the other out, giving him 3 points, and either Dirrell or Froch, who both are sitting on 2 points, were to lose. But that said I agree with the idea of turning the next round into the final 4. Showtime will probably have to guarantee Green a future bout with one of the participants (not a Ward rematch I'm thinking) but there's no sense having two guys who weren't a part of it fighting each other this late in the proceedings.

Then again, maybe it's in Showtime's best interests to prolong the tourney? You have to figure the winner winds up moving to HBO afterward for the chance to face Bute, Pascal, Dawson, Pavlik et al.
D-MARV
I agree with Factor...

Who the hell does Kessler think he is to come out and say "I'm gonna quit the tournament but I'll fight the winner after there all done"? WTF?

Kessler needs to be tossed to the back of the fucking line. As far as I'm concerned, he's just ass'd out.

X that, let him fight Bute so he can get his head knocked the fuck off.
lloyd mayflower
I hope he gets stripped. I used to quite like Kessler but I think hes bitching out here. Not sure how mentally strong this guy is.

Fitz, undisputed top avatar on fighthype. There it is folks, if you want a shot at the title, its round young Fitzys waist.
Fitz
QUOTE (lloyd mayflower @ Aug 27 2010, 01:51 AM) *
Fitz, undisputed top avatar on fighthype. There it is folks, if you want a shot at the title, its round young Fitzys waist.

Cheers, lol.

That said. I honestly can't believe what some of you guys are saying. If Kessler lost his last fight, yeah maybe you could have a case, but he fucking won his last fight and fighting the weakest fighter in the tournament for his next fight, lol. Fucking scraping the bottom of the barrel for this one.

Jermaine Taylor quits after one fucking fight, and nobody says shit.

"oh, he had a concussion". Big fuck, I don't think his brain was bleeding or anything. Football players get concussed and play the next week and sometimes come back on during that game (though the people that let a player come back on do get criticised). Kessler isn't popular on here, and it's so fucking blatant obvious it isn't funny. People aren't even giving him the benefit of the doubt and making up there own mind. This opinion would hold more weight if he lost his last fight and was fighting another tough fighter.
The CEO
QUOTE (Fitz @ Aug 26 2010, 06:51 PM) *
Cheers, lol.

That said. I honestly can't believe what some of you guys are saying. If Kessler lost his last fight, yeah maybe you could have a case, but he fucking won his last fight and fighting the weakest fighter in the tournament for his next fight, lol. Fucking scraping the bottom of the barrel for this one.

Jermaine Taylor quits after one fucking fight, and nobody says shit.

"oh, he had a concussion". Big fuck, I don't think his brain was bleeding or anything. Football players get concussed and play the next week and sometimes come back on during that game (though the people that let a player come back on do get criticised). Kessler isn't popular on here, and it's so fucking blatant obvious it isn't funny. People aren't even giving him the benefit of the doubt and making up there own mind. This opinion would hold more weight if he lost his last fight and was fighting another tough fighter.

So what?...I don't understand why it bothers you that a few people in here don't feel the same about Kessler and this situation as you do...everyone's not gonna see it your way on everything...lol...you know that...

as far as Jermain Taylor (another fighter I don't give a shit about)...he WAS KOed by Pavlik, Froch, and then Abraham...all in devastating fashion...so one can easily understand him pulling out...while not caring and/or defending him for it at all...

Boxing is full of exaggerations and lies, Fitz...it's like that...always has been...and in the modern era, it's all for manipulation and potential fortuitous ends...

So NOW Kessler says his eye's been bothering him all this time...lol...why do we have to automatically believe that this is 100% honest with no ulterior motives?...I say no...because like I said...this is Boxing, and the promoters, teams, fighters, and the entire sport have a reputation for moves like this...

This reminds me of another similar situation...I remember when I made up my mind about David Haye bein' a bitch...called him a bitch a long, long, looooong time ago...right after his first bitch move...well...as it turns it out, most everyone is calling him one now...lol...I guess they needed to see more signs than I did...that's ok...I totally understand that thought process...giving the benefit of the doubt....but when it comes to Boxing, I've found that you'll nail things more if you're cynical...

Anyway...Sauerland and Kessler ain't no saints, my man...in fact....there's very, VERY few people in the business that are...there's a game, and those involved go along with and/or play it....
Fitz
QUOTE (The CEO @ Aug 27 2010, 09:35 AM) *
So what?...I don't understand why it bothers you that a few people in here don't feel the same about Kessler and this situation as you do...everyone's not gonna see it your way on everything...lol...you know that...

as far as Jermain Taylor (another fighter I don't give a shit about)...he WAS KOed by Pavlik, Froch, and then Abraham...all in devastating fashion...so one can easily understand him pulling out...while not caring and/or defending him for it at all...

Boxing is full of exaggerations and lies, Fitz...it's like that...always has been...and in the modern era, it's all for manipulation and potential fortuitous ends...

So NOW Kessler says his eye's been bothering him all this time...lol...why do we have to automatically believe that this is 100% honest with no ulterior motives?...I say no...because like I said...this is Boxing, and the promoters, teams, fighters, and the entire sport have a reputation for moves like this...

This reminds me of another similar situation...I remember when I made up my mind about David Haye bein' a bitch...called him a bitch a long, long, looooong time ago...right after his first bitch move...well...as it turns it out, most everyone is calling him one now...lol...I guess they needed to see more signs than I did...that's ok...I totally understand that thought process...giving the benefit of the doubt....but when it comes to Boxing, I've found that you'll nail things more if you're cynical...

Anyway...Sauerland and Kessler ain't no saints, my man...in fact....there's very, VERY few people in the business that are...there's a game, and those involved go along with and/or play it....

Because there is no logic in the reasoning. He doesn't have a history of punking out of fights. He has fought MUCH better guys than Allan Green and won his last fight, and was supposed to now be fighting the EASIEST guy in the competition. Where is the logic?
If he pulled something like Pavlik like pulling out of this fight and signing another fight for a month away, then yeah maybe there is some logic in that. If he has lost all his fights, yeah there might be logic in that. If he was now moving on to fighting the most difficult fight, yeah there might be logic in that.
The thing is, there isn't.

He has pulled out saying that he is injured, and the first thing some people say (surprise, surprise you are one of them, lol) is that he is scared. What exactly is it being based on? I'm not saying you are flat out wrong, because future events or actions he may take might prove that. Until then, you guys are basing it on absolutely nothing.
For the record, it has nothing to do whether I like the guy or not. I usually like to base opinions on being logical and facts. That said, I don't see any past events, facts or anything logical for someone to come with that conclusion. Like I said, his two fights were the hardest and this was his easiest and people are suggesting this. I just see no logic in it, and I am always about trying to think logical.

Fitz
I still don't care about who Jermaine Taylor got knocked out by or how many times. He took part in a tournament, he got knocked out which is part of boxing and he took his ball and went home.
Like I said, football players come on about 30 minutes after a concussion. His life wasn't in danger, he wasn't in a coma, his brain wasn't bleeding. He had a concussion that hundreds of football players get.
Look, I like Taylor and always have. But he went into a tournament and guess what? Something happened to him that's supposed to happen in boxing. He left after one loss.
The CEO
I didn't say Kessler was "scared" at all...he may be a momma's boy, but I didn't call him a bitch like I do Andre Berto...lol....I said I can see him preserving himself and that title so he can get one more big paycheck and call it a career....and guess what?...he's supposedly got a verbal agreement to fight the winner?...lol...that's some bullshit, Fitz....I'm 100% sure Kessler himself knows his best days as a top B fighter are long behind him...

and one more thing...you say he doesn't have a history of punking out?...well the truth is, he DOES have one standout incident (other than staying with Palle and fighting bums after Calzaghe and his dejected demeanor during the Ward fight).....you'll have to trust me for now as I'm not gonna go dig up the source at this time...but back in the day, Mikkel Kessler "avoided" Edison Miranda...

In the end...I believe our minority's POV is extremely logical AND warranted...
Fitz
QUOTE (The CEO @ Aug 27 2010, 10:42 AM) *
I, didn't say Kessler was "scared" at all...he may be a momma's boy, but I didn't call him a bitch like I do Andre Berto...lol....I said I can see him preserving himself and that title so he can get one more big paycheck and call it a career....and guess what?...he's supposedly got a verbal agreement to fight the winner...lol...that's some bullshit, Fitz....

and one more thing...you say he doesn't have a history of punking out?...well the truth is, he DOES have one standout incident (other than staying with Palle and fighting bums after Calzaghe AND his dejected demeanor during the Ward fight).....you'll have to trust me for now as I'm not gonna go dig up the source at this time...but back in the day, Mikkel Kessler "avoided" Edison Miranda...

In the end...I believe our minority's POV as extremely logical AND warranted...

LMAO.

You do know I have a memory of an elephant right? That was funny that you said he was scared of Miranda, even though you weren't trying to.

In 2008 when Kessler turned down his fight with Miranda. Mundines WBA title became vacant and Kessler was his mandatory. So instead of fighting Miranda in a 10 round non-title fight, he opted to fight for Mundines vacant title, lol. He also had another option and that was to fight for the vacant 175 title when Danny Green retired. Fight for the WBA title or Miranda in a non-title fight? Hmmm, what a tough choice.

Nice try though.

The CEO
QUOTE (Fitz @ Aug 26 2010, 09:23 PM) *
LMAO.

You do know I have a memory of an elephant right? That was funny that you said he was scared of Miranda, even though you weren't trying to.

In 2008 when Kessler turned down his fight with Miranda. Mundines WBA title became vacant and Kessler was his mandatory. So instead of fighting Miranda in a 10 round non-title fight, he opted to fight for Mundines vacant title, lol. He also had another option and that was to fight for the vacant 175 title when Danny Green retired. Fight for the WBA title or Miranda in a non-title fight? Hmmm, what a tough choice.

Nice try though.

Nice try to defend Kessler...

but what you did was reinforce my point about shady maneuvers, the path of least resistance, and monetary gains...

Youch.

Kessler withdraws from super middleweight fight with Miranda

By Dan Rafael
ESPN.com
(Archive)

A May 24 super middleweight showdown between former unified titleholder Mikkel Kessler and brash puncher Edison Miranda imploded Tuesday when Kessler withdrew from the fight.

Miranda promoter Leon Margules of Seminole Warriors Boxing and promoter Lou DiBella, who brokered the deal on behalf of Kessler's Danish promoter Mogens Palle, both were at a loss to explain why Kessler pulled out of a fight that Showtime had already announced on its Web site.

The sides agreed to a deal March 14 and were finalizing the paperwork when, according to Margules, Kessler agent Michael Marley informed Showtime on Tuesday that the fight was off.

"I have no idea why he pulled out. He must be afraid to fight Miranda," Margules told ESPN.com. "We gave them everything they asked for. Showtime gave them everything they asked for."

Margules said Showtime, which agreed to pay $1 million for the fight and beat HBO's offer, wanted the fight so badly that it even agreed to change the date of its "Showtime Championship Boxing" telecast from May 10 to May 24 to accommodate Kessler, who felt he needed additional time to train.

"The Kessler people haven't given me an explanation," Margules said. "They're acting like we're [messing] with them. I'm outraged. If their explanation is that we didn't meet their deal points, I have their points in writing. Everything was in the contract that they asked for. They wanted it to be a 10-round fight. We gave them that because they wouldn't even discuss a 12-rounder. They insisted on all sorts of things and we gave them everything."

Among other concessions given to Kessler: The bout would not take place on Native American property or in Florida. Seminole Warriors Boxing is a Native American-operated promotional company based in Hollywood, Fla.

Also, Kessler was to be paid 400,000 Euros (approximately $600,000 U.S.) and Palle would retain lucrative television rights in Scandinavia, Germany and other territories.

"They took the fight and then they backed out," Margules said. "We had a deal in writing, and although it was not signed yet, we all said, 'We have a deal.' Showtime even had the fight on its Web site. Everything was worked out and my fighter was in camp. And then, no fight."

Margules said Marley didn't even bother to call him and that he found out from Showtime that the fight was off.

DiBella was also disgusted with Kessler and his team.
"I was dealing with Mogens Palle and Mike Marley. I should have expected no less," DiBella said. "I found this fight for Kessler at the request of Mogens and I spent a lot of time working on it. We sent them a contract reflecting everything they asked for. But then Mike wouldn't take my calls for a week and Mogens has been ill. No one ever came back with comments on the contract and then Mike called [Showtime's] Ken Hershman directly and blamed me, saying the contract didn't reflect the deal. Then Ken asked him why they never came back with comments on the contract and Mike changed his tune and said that Kessler had some other opportunity for a world title fight. Which is it?

"The way in which this was handled is preposterous. If they didn't want the fight, just say so. I made an unbelievable deal for the Kessler side but they are too stupid to see it."
Marley didn't return a telephone message or e-mail from ESPN.com seeking comment.

Miranda, who is 2-0 since moving up to super middleweight in the wake of his May 2007 middleweight title elimination loss to Kelly Pavlik, who would go on to win the title, wasn't all that surprised that Kessler withdrew.

The trash-talking Miranda had goaded Kessler into the accepting the fight in the first place.

"I didn't get my hopes up because I know Kessler is afraid of me," Miranda said. "We gave him everything he wanted to make this fight and he still wouldn't take it. In fact, the only thing we didn't give him is the opportunity to tie my hands around my back while we fought. But at this point I'm willing to even give him that because I know if I yelled 'boo' at him in the ring he'd turn and run. I said it before and I'll say it again -- he should be ashamed to call himself a 'Viking Warrior.'"

Kessler (39-1, 29 KOs), of Denmark, hasn't fought since losing his two belts via lopsided decision to Joe Calzaghe in a Nov. 3 unification fight.
Miranda (30-2, 26 KOs), of Colombia, is one of the biggest punchers in the 168-pound division. Both of his losses came at middleweight, a controversial decision in Germany to Arthur Abraham in a 2006 title bout and the loss to Pavlik.
Showtime has not decided what it will do about its May card.

I could have bolded the strongest parts, but I'll know they'll be seen...

See ya in the mornin' if ya want...lol
Fitz
What was the point? I have seen that article and it's nothing new, lol.

He withdrew from the fight because during that time. A WBA title at 168 was became vacant when Mundine threw it in because he got scared of his mandatories. Kessler was the #1 and fought for it, and won it.
What was your point? His next fight was a title fight. When he agreed to fight Miranda, there wasn't an opportunity because Mundine didn't want to defend his title in a rematch. When Mundine moved down, the title became vacant, so Kessler being the #1 challenger fought for it, rather than fighting Miranda in a non-title fight.

He withdrew from the fight for May 24th and then fought for the WBA title in June the next month instead of fighting Miranda in a non-title fight (a guy that got knocked out by Pavlik at 160 the year before and hadn't done anything at 168 up until then). It really isn't that hard man, lol.

World title vs Non-title

The choice isn't that hard to make for most people, lol.
The CEO
You know my point...it's the one you helped me prove...lol

but yes...that's it...most all of the higher profile fighters make moves along these lines....Mayweather has done it, Pacquiao is doing it....

The problem we have is you're saying Kessler should be immune to criticism and doubt here...and that a few of us are being illogical...

while I'm saying NO fighter is above it, and we have every right to say what we've said...that it is VERY logical...

That's the difference between me and you...you will try to be loyal to a fighter for as long as you can...giving them the benefit of the doubt...not me...I'm only loyal to Boxing...I will turn on a fighter I like in a heartbeat if I feel they deserve it...

That being said...there's so many that deserve it I don't have time to roast them all...so I pick and choose my victims...lol

Seriously...if Kessler wasn't Calzaghe's best win, we wouldn't even be having this conversation...
Fitz
Ok, fair enough. Let's agree to disagree. I personally don't think that is the case though and to me, it doesn't add up considering who he was fighting (the easiest guy in the tournament, and coming off a win). But we will leave it at that.

QUOTE (The CEO @ Aug 27 2010, 10:39 PM) *
That's the difference between me and you...you will try to be loyal to a fighter for as long as you can...giving them the benefit of the doubt...not me...I'm only loyal to Boxing...I will turn on a fighter I like in a heartbeat if I feel they deserve it...

CEO, I can take what you say about, but this is an insult to me, lol. I pride myself on calling things how I see it, I like fighters and if they do something I don't like, I give them credit and when there are fighters I don't like, I give them credit with where it's warranted (like Mayweather with Mosley). I am loyal to boxing, and loyal to a fighter if I think it's warranted. Look at myself with Danny Green, I have said I was not impressed with him taking the Briggs fight and how it went down, and I have said that if he doesn't fight anyone great, he is heading down Mundine territory. Mundine another guy I liked years ago (some may remember). I hate the guy now and think he is a straight up coward. Hopkins my favourite fighter, I didn't defend him for taking the RJJ fight and critical of the performance.
One thing I am not, and that is delusional or bias.
Please don't say mean and untrue things like that, lol.
The CEO
then the same goes for you...I pride myself on my judicious nature as well...you were saying untrue things...calling me and few others illogical...lol

In the end, I think you call it down the middle moreso than most...I show it's possible to "tell it like it is" as the cynical/critical type...we're basically 2 different types of Boxing fans who approach from different angles, expresses themselves differently...

I'd also like to think we could put any Pavlik Kessler shit to rest...I've been done with that drunken bastard for a while now...lol...in fact, his only purpose was to POSSIBLY get me big points in the Fantasy League...
Fitz
QUOTE (The CEO @ Aug 28 2010, 02:29 AM) *
then the same goes for you...I pride myself on my judicious nature as well...you were saying untrue things...calling me and few others illogical...lol

In the end, I think you call it down the middle moreso than most...I show it's possible to "tell it like it is" as the cynical/critical type...we're basically 2 different types of Boxing fans who approach from different angles, expresses themselves differently...

I'd also like to think we could put any Pavlik Kessler shit to rest...I've been done with that drunken bastard for a while now...lol...in fact, his only purpose was to POSSIBLY get me big points in the Fantasy League...

Yep, fair enough.

I can still hate Pavlik though, but I will give him credit if he ever deserves it though (probably never).

laugh.gif
Byrd Man
I've been reading from people like Rafael that due to Kessler pulling out of the Super 6, that they'll simply go straight to the semis and that means Green is out.

While this is unfortunate for Green, I can't help but laugh at the idea of his "Advisor" losing his shit when that news came out. His guy bitches and cries about how he should have been in from the jump (and perhaps he should have) and so when they finally get him in there, the opponent gets hurt and Green gets shitcanned after a lackluster effort?

Damn. Wonder when the exclusive interview will be dropping in which Showtime and Kessler and everyone under the sun is ripped? lol
Fitz
Glen Johnson to replace Mikkel Kessler?

http://www.fightnews.com/Boxing/glen-johns...super-six-61733

Veteran contender Glen “The Road Warrior” Johnson has been tapped to replace the injured Mikkel Kessler in the Super Six World Boxing Classic and is preparing to meet Allan Green in a Group Stage 3 bout on Saturday, Nov. 6, live on SHOWTIME® (10 p.m. ET/PT, delayed on the West Coast), it was officially announced today by SHOWTIME Sports® Executive Vice President and General Manager Ken Hershman.

The 12-rounder between the Jamaican-born Johnson (50-14-2, 34 KOs), of Miami, Fla., and Green (29-2, 20 KOs), of Tulsa, Okla., will emanate from MGM Grand Garden in Las Vegas and open the telecast on SHOWTIME. In the second half of the excellent Nov. 6 SHOWTIME CHAMPIONSHIP BOXING doubleheader, undefeated World Boxing Organization (WBO) featherweight champion Juan Manuel “JuanMa” Lopez (29-0, 26 KOs) of Puerto Rico will defend his title against two-division world champion Rafael Marquez (39-5, 35 KOs) of Mexico City.

A former International Boxing Federation (IBF) light heavyweight champion, Johnson is a hard-knocking veteran who has fought and defeated some of the best fighters of this era. Seemingly always in close, rough, crowd-pleasing fights, Johnson owns victories over Roy Jones Jr. and Antonio Tarver, among others.

Johnson has appeared in seven world title fights and now has an opportunity to reestablish himself as one of the world’s elite prizefighters.

“I want to thank Showtime for including me in their Super Six tournament,” he said. “Having dedicated so many years to the sport of boxing, it is gratifying to still be considered worthy of competing with some of the top fighters in the world and on such a prestigious platform.”

Regarding the super middleweight limit of 168 pounds, at which Johnson has not fought since 2000, he stated: “I typically weigh in at 172 pounds for my light heavyweight fights. I will have no trouble making the 168-pound limit as a super middleweight.”

Group Stage 3, the final Stage of the point-based round-robin portion of the tournament, will determine the four fighters who will advance to the single-elimination Semifinals. As per tournament rules, a replacement fighter enters the Group Stage tied with the last place fighter—in this case, Green with zero points. Both men go into the Nov. 6 showdown on equal ground. But only one will have the opportunity to qualify for the Semis. The winner of Green vs. Johnson—with either 2 or 3 points—would need help from Andre Ward and/or Arthur Abraham to qualify. (See current standings below)

Allan Green, who was outmatched in his Group Stage 2 bout against Ward, is ready for the challenge ahead of him. Inspired to redeem himself, his intense preparation will continue as planned despite the change from Kessler to Johnson. No matter the opposition, Green needs a strong performance in Group Stage 3 to advance.

Following Nov. 6, Group Stage 3 will conclude on Saturday, Nov. 27, on SHOWTIME when Ward of Oakland, Calif., faces Andre Dirrell of Flint, Mich., in a battle of American stars and Abraham of Germany takes on former World Boxing Council (WBC) titlist Carl Froch of England, in a matchup that pits arguably the hardest punchers in the Super Six at Hartwall Areena in Helsinki, Finland. Ward-Dirrell will be televised live; Abraham-Froch will be shown on same-day delay.

SUPER SIX WORLD BOXING CLASSIC SCOREBOARD (Through Group Stage 2)
Record Fighter Points
2-0 Andre Ward 4
1-1 Arthur Abraham 3
1-1 Carl Froch 2
1-1 Andre Dirrell 2
0-1 Allan Green 0
0-0 Glen Johnson* 0

*Johnson replaces Mikkel Kessler

In Group Stage competition, fighters earn 2 points for a win, 1 bonus point for a KO/TKO and 1 point for a draw

For more information on the Super Six World Boxing Classic including exclusive photos, fight highlights and interviews, plus to view all episodes of the acclaimed documentary series FIGHT CAMP 360°: Inside The Super Six World Boxing Classic, please visit the website at
gravytrain
I don't really see the point, I really wish they could just drop Green too. Let Dirrell, Ward, Froch, and Abraham fight it out.

I do think Johnson can put on a good fight though, unlike Green.
Fitz
QUOTE (gravytrain @ Sep 30 2010, 12:54 PM) *
I don't really see the point, I really wish they could just drop Green too. Let Dirrell, Ward, Froch, and Abraham fight it out.

I do think Johnson can put on a good fight though, unlike Green.

Agreed. I prefer they just left it, and perhaps for legal reasons (if any), try convince Green he can have a fight with someone once the tournament is over. I just don't see the point, Green or Johnson were not the original fighters in the tournament. Just let the 4 battle it out and then move on.
gravytrain
QUOTE (Fitz @ Sep 29 2010, 11:04 PM) *
Agreed. I prefer they just left it, and perhaps for legal reasons (if any), try convince Green he can have a fight with someone once the tournament is over. I just don't see the point, Green or Johnson were not the original fighters in the tournament. Just let the 4 battle it out and then move on.

I can see why they don't kick Green out though, Greg Leon is the last guy you want to cross in the boxing world LOL.
Lil-lightsout
Who really thought this tournament would go down as planned? I also think it's a little silly to be bringing in other fighters at this point. Buy at least we get to see another decent fight.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.