Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Kimbo Slice making pro boxing debut
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
thehype
So the question is, if you're Gary Shaw, who do you match him with to get him in a position for a big payday?

First up, Cliff Couser maybe?

dntknw.gif

IT'S OFFICIAL! FORMER UFC HEAVYWEIGHT KIMBO SLICE SET TO MAKE PRO BOXING DEBUT

"I'm gonna be a problem in the heavyweight division. I'm going to be coming in with a bad demeanor. I want to see what it's like to break some ribs, break a jaw with one punch," stated former UFC heavyweight Kimbo Slice, who officially announced his intention to make his professional debut as a boxer. After weeks of negotiations, promoter Gary Shaw, who previously worked with Slice when he made his mixed martial arts debut with the now-defunct EliteXC organization, finally convinced the former YouTube sensation to test his striking skills in the sweet science.

read more

http://www.fighthype.com/pages/content8298.html
PR316
He'll do well against all the taxi cab drivers and janitors they put him up against.

But the first half legit guy he meets, and its goodnight.
Fitz
Yes, yes, yes.

I can't wait to eventually see that no good ratty bum get laid out cold.
alaganza
I guess my buddy was right when he said any guy off the streets could jump in the heavyweight division nowadays.

LOL
thehype
QUOTE (alaganza @ Aug 26 2010, 10:48 PM) *
I guess my buddy was right when he said any guy off the streets could jump in the heavyweight division nowadays.

LOL

LMAO

Slice vs. Roy Jones Jr.

Who wins?

dntknw.gif

laugh.gif
King Eugene
QUOTE (thehype @ Aug 27 2010, 12:02 AM) *
LMAO

Slice vs. Roy Jones Jr.

Who wins?

dntknw.gif

laugh.gif

Hype dont do me like that.

no2.gif
BigG
Kimbo will be fed bums and will get upset and retire. Thats my prediction. Kimbo stick to fighting homeless bums in the streets
King Eugene
Damn why is everybody so harsh on Kimbo? I could see if he was running around talking about how great he is. I've never once heard him bragging or boasting but then again I could have missed something. Why all the hate?
thehype
QUOTE (King Eugene @ Aug 26 2010, 11:07 PM) *
Hype dont do me like that.

no2.gif

Shit...I'm about to do you worse than that.

3 or 4 fights and Roy thinks Kimbo will be ready for him.

laugh.gif
thehype
QUOTE (King Eugene @ Aug 26 2010, 11:22 PM) *
Damn why is everybody so harsh on Kimbo? I could see if he was running around talking about how great he is. I've never once heard him bragging or boasting but then again I could have missed something. Why all the hate?

Don't worry about the hate...they'll still watch.

Oh, they might pretend like they won't, but curiosity will suck them in.

laugh.gif
King Eugene
QUOTE (thehype @ Aug 27 2010, 12:31 AM) *
Shit...I'm about to do you worse than that.

3 or 4 fights and Roy thinks Kimbo will be ready for him.

laugh.gif

nea.gif
Hell Nah!

Speaking of Roy, any word on who he may be fighting next? (Hopefully no damn body)

BigG
I don't hate Kimbo man..I was rooting for him in the UFC and in strikeforce...but he wont go far in Boxing.
Warlord
QUOTE (thehype @ Aug 26 2010, 09:44 PM) *
So the question is, if you're Gary Shaw, who do you match him with to get him in a position for a big payday?

First up, Cliff Couser maybe?

dntknw.gif

Couser would lay Slice out. Couser doesn't have crazy sick power, but he throws like he does, and occasionally catches dudes.

Slice got stretched by the jab of a light heavy going backwards. What's he gonna do against someone like Cliff Couser?
Box in Hand
I don't like the fact that he walked away from MMA. I mean so what he took a few L's. He's new to the game. Get back on the horse and fight in the smaller shows and show Dana and everyone else you want this like you said you did. Don't try to climb up in boxing now cause you got a little loss.
thehype
QUOTE (King Eugene @ Aug 26 2010, 11:52 PM) *
nea.gif
Hell Nah!

Speaking of Roy, any word on who he may be fighting next? (Hopefully no damn body)

ROY JONES JR: "I MIGHT GIVE IT TO KIMBO"

"I think it's a beautiful thing for him to try the sweet science. I'd have to see what he's weighing if he wants me to come in there and give him a try at it, but if he want it that bad, I might give it to Kimbo. It's a great opportunity for him. It's a great fight for Florida. Boxing needs all it can get right now, so if the fans get interested in wanting to see that, we can do that," stated future Hall of Famer Roy Jones Jr. when informed of the news that former UFC heavyweight and YouTube sensation Kimbo Slice declared his intent to try his hand at professional boxing. Say what? Jones vs. Slice for bragging rights in Florida? It didn't take long for Slice to grab the attention of the boxing community, but exactly how long would it take before he's actually ready to step into the ring against a current or former world champion? Obviously his promoter, Gary Shaw, doesn't think it will take long, but find out what Jones had to say about Kimbo's potential, the possibility of a future clash and much more, including his prediction for Saturday's showdown between James Toney and Randy Couture at UFC 118.

read more

http://www.fighthype.com/pages/content8300.html

laugh.gif
thehype
QUOTE (Warlord @ Aug 26 2010, 11:58 PM) *
Couser would lay Slice out. Couser doesn't have crazy sick power, but he throws like he does, and occasionally catches dudes.

Slice got stretched by the jab of a light heavy going backwards. What's he gonna do against someone like Cliff Couser?

Yikes...I don't know man. I mean, I hear what you're saying, but man, Couser ain't looking so hot nowadays.

In fact, at this point, I think a well-placed sneeze might knock Couser out.

Truth be told, at this stage of his career, Couser = Kimbo. Kimbo's just taken far less damage.

laugh.gif
King Eugene
QUOTE (thehype @ Aug 27 2010, 01:41 AM) *
ROY JONES JR: "I MIGHT GIVE IT TO KIMBO"

"I think it's a beautiful thing for him to try the sweet science. I'd have to see what he's weighing if he wants me to come in there and give him a try at it, but if he want it that bad, I might give it to Kimbo. It's a great opportunity for him. It's a great fight for Florida. Boxing needs all it can get right now, so if the fans get interested in wanting to see that, we can do that," stated future Hall of Famer Roy Jones Jr. when informed of the news that former UFC heavyweight and YouTube sensation Kimbo Slice declared his intent to try his hand at professional boxing. Say what? Jones vs. Slice for bragging rights in Florida? It didn't take long for Slice to grab the attention of the boxing community, but exactly how long would it take before he's actually ready to step into the ring against a current or former world champion? Obviously his promoter, Gary Shaw, doesn't think it will take long, but find out what Jones had to say about Kimbo's potential, the possibility of a future clash and much more, including his prediction for Saturday's showdown between James Toney and Randy Couture at UFC 118.

read more

http://www.fighthype.com/pages/content8300.html

laugh.gif

You got to be fucking shittin me!!! shok.gif shok.gif shok.gif ohmy.gif ohmy.gif ohmy.gif no2.gif no2.gif
Snoop
QUOTE (King Eugene @ Aug 27 2010, 05:22 AM) *

Ditto. I actually really like Kimbo. He's a pretty humble dude and from what I know, he started street fighting to stick up for guys getting pushed around by the neighborhood bullies. Man's just trying to earn a dollar really. I mean shit, if you hate him for making it in UFC or boxing, hate on the people paying for the fights, not on the fighter, especially when he's not being a cocky bastard or anything.
Warlord
QUOTE (thehype @ Aug 27 2010, 12:43 AM) *
Yikes...I don't know man. I mean, I hear what you're saying, but man, Couser ain't looking so hot nowadays.

In fact, at this point, I think a well-placed sneeze might knock Couser out.

Truth be told, at this stage of his career, Couser = Kimbo. Kimbo's just taken far less damage.

laugh.gif

I honestly haven't seen Couser fight since I left the States. Most big fights air for free over here, but Couser is a perennial EPSNer, so I don't ever see any has-beens, never-weres, or up-and-comers fighting anymore.

Kinda sad, really. I always really liked watching those kinds of guys, especially Couser. It was awesome to see him come out and use that same gloves-under-the-chin stance that old Tyson used to do. laugh.gif Like I said before, the guy didn't have massive power, but he fought like it. Always entertaining in a guilty-pleasure sort of way.

James Thunder was another fight like that, back when he used to be a favorite over at USA's Tuesday Night Fights. The guy would just throw these huge massive bombs that never really did much damage. Pure awesomeness.
JLUVBABY
kimbo will feel a bunch of pain from the first good bum he fights ala butter bean vs mitchell rose... i just hope they dont send him straight to ppv....
jlupi
I don't like the fact that he walked away from MMA.>>>>

dudes not young. needs to make the bucks while he can
The CEO
He won't be able to keep his trademark beard if he's gonna box...it's against the rules.

I'm fine with seein' him stretch somebody or get stretched....
Sunni6Killer
I guess he's the new "King of the 4 rounders".
No stamina.
No chin.
Weak boxing skills.
Yeah, this will go well.
Fitz
QUOTE (Sunni6Killer @ Aug 28 2010, 09:56 AM) *
No stamina.
No chin.
Weak boxing skills.

Sounds like RJJ now, could match up well laugh.gif
Byrd Man
I think Kimbo would have a better shot at having some modicum of success in Boxing than MMA. At least in Boxing he can focus on that aspect of it, instead of having to worry about getting taken down.

Even on his old youtube videos he was known as having a helluva punch, albeit against backyard bullies. I think that history has shown that there have been many boxers who have had average to decent success on the back of a solid punch. As long as he can take a punch.
Snoop
QUOTE (The CEO @ Aug 28 2010, 12:06 AM) *
He won't be able to keep his trademark beard if he's gonna box...it's against the rules.

I wonder what he's gonna look like without the beard. It wouldn't be the same if a beardless Kimbo fought.
Warlord
QUOTE (Byrd Man @ Aug 27 2010, 07:52 PM) *
I think Kimbo would have a better shot at having some modicum of success in Boxing than MMA. At least in Boxing he can focus on that aspect of it, instead of having to worry about getting taken down.

Even on his old youtube videos he was known as having a helluva punch, albeit against backyard bullies. I think that history has shown that there have been many boxers who have had average to decent success on the back of a solid punch. As long as he can take a punch.

He can't.
Spyder
QUOTE (Snoop @ Aug 27 2010, 11:44 PM) *
I wonder what he's gonna look like without the beard. It wouldn't be the same if a beardless Kimbo fought.

I don't know about that...John Ruiz sported a beard to the ring,
Lil-lightsout
QUOTE (Spyder @ Aug 28 2010, 12:09 AM) *
I don't know about that...John Ruiz sported a beard to the ring,

But not as excessive as Kimbo's massive beard.
thehype
QUOTE (Fitz @ Aug 27 2010, 08:23 PM) *
Sounds like RJJ now, could match up well laugh.gif

LMAO

laugh.gif
thehype
QUOTE (Warlord @ Aug 27 2010, 11:48 PM) *
He can't.

Oh, he can take punches just fine.

Now, whether or not he's still awake after he takes them is a different story.

laugh.gif
King Eugene
Without the BIG beard.

Warlord
QUOTE (thehype @ Aug 28 2010, 01:20 AM) *
Oh, he can take punches just fine.

Now, whether or not he's still awake after he takes them is a different story.

laugh.gif

Touche. laugh.gif
The Original MrFactor
Is dude gonna be forced to shave?? I think there is something in the rules regarding beard length.
JLUVBABY
kimbo is gonna get his ass handed to him in pro boxing... tho i think he may have a little better luck at the same time... boxing is what he should have been in from the get go... his style more suits boxing than mma....
SmartyBeardo
You have got to be shittin me! I feel like Woody Allen in Sleeper.
Snoop
QUOTE (JLUVBABY @ Aug 28 2010, 04:53 PM) *
kimbo is gonna get his ass handed to him in pro boxing... tho i think he may have a little better luck at the same time... boxing is what he should have been in from the get go... his style more suits boxing than mma....

Yes and no. Kimbo definitely relied on a standup game from his street fights, but IMO boxing is so much more scientific than MMA. That's why you got cats like Tank Abbot having relative success in MMA but you don't really see that shit in boxing.
JLUVBABY
QUOTE (Snoop @ Aug 29 2010, 05:01 AM) *
Yes and no. Kimbo definitely relied on a standup game from his street fights, but IMO boxing is so much more scientific than MMA. That's why you got cats like Tank Abbot having relative success in MMA but you don't really see that shit in boxing.

yes but tank abbott would have never made it to the top of the boxing world.. nowhere near.... and also at the time of tank abbots success mma hadnt really become the all around sport that it is now... if tank was fighting in his prime amongst todays heavyweights in mma he would have even less success... the sport is a lot more well rounded now then then... its evolved..
Warlord
QUOTE (Snoop @ Aug 29 2010, 05:01 AM) *

That's a shit example. That would be like me saying boxing isn't scientific because upright windbags like John L. Sullivan have success in boxing with their put-up-your-dukes bullshit style.

Tank Abbot is from a different era of MMA. He could not survive in today's sport. Nor could Ken Shamrock, Royce Gracie, or any of those other athletes from the past.

Saying boxing is more "scientific" is a judgement call at best. However, seeing as we just witnessed one of the finest technicians in boxing's long history get his ass handed to him on a shameful silver platter in seconds, I would think you guys would be pulling back from making such ridiculously unquantifiable statements so soon.
D-MARV
QUOTE (Warlord @ Aug 29 2010, 10:02 AM) *
That's a shit example. That would be like me saying boxing isn't scientific because upright windbags like John L. Sullivan have success in boxing with their put-up-your-dukes bullshit style.

Tank Abbot is from a different era of MMA. He could not survive in today's sport. Nor could Ken Shamrock, Royce Gracie, or any of those other athletes from the past.

Saying boxing is more "scientific" is a judgement call at best. However, seeing as we just witnessed one of the finest technicians in boxing's long history get his ass handed to him on a shameful silver platter in seconds, I would think you guys would be pulling back from making such ridiculously unquantifiable statements so soon.

LMAO, You get so offended anytime someone shits on MMA. Chill out bro, it's not a big deal. I think last night proved the the two sports are totally different.
Snoop
QUOTE (Warlord @ Aug 29 2010, 03:02 PM) *

Seriously dude, chill the fuck out. Of course it's a judgment call, that's why I said "IMO". laugh.gif

You probably know way more about MMA than me, but I do know that guys like Kimbo or Charles "Crazyhorse" Bennett are at least about to win MMA matches. I can't imagine a street brawler stepping into the squared circle getting as far as either of them did, and not because MMA is an "easier" sport, but because I believe it allows more variability to win. IMO boxing is more or less one style, one science, so you have to adhere strictly to the rules to have any relative success. MMA there's definitely science to each specific style, but at the same time there's always just an element of unpredictability due to the clashes of styles, and I think that gives more of a chance for fighters with no formal training to win, at least more than boxing.

But again this wasn't meant to say boxing is better than MMA, so I have no idea why you even brought up the Toney example. Plus, I thought you said last night's fight wasn't an exhibition between MMA and boxing in the first place. laugh.gif
JLUVBABY
QUOTE (D-MARV @ Aug 29 2010, 10:02 AM) *
LMAO, You get so offended anytime someone shits on MMA. Chill out bro, it's not a big deal. I think last night proved the the two sports are totally different.

hopefully people start to realizing that and drop the bullshit comparisons... honestly if dana white wants to compare ufc to something he needs to compare his organization to K-1 fighting in japan... K-1 has better fights in my opinion then ufc... and possibly better fighters..
SmartyBeardo
QUOTE (JLUVBABY @ Aug 29 2010, 01:25 PM) *
hopefully people start to realizing that and drop the bullshit comparisons... honestly if dana white wants to compare ufc to something he needs to compare his organization to K-1 fighting in japan... K-1 has better fights in my opinion then ufc... and possibly better fighters..

It appears that boxing is evolving towards the MMA league model, for better or worse. Hence QuackMeow v That Mexican Cocktail.
Fitz
QUOTE (Snoop @ Aug 29 2010, 08:01 PM) *

Warlord summed it up pretty well. I have said heaps that I am not a real knowledgeable MMA guy, but I still said what Warlord was saying before I read his response. When Abbot was in UFC, the UFC was totally different. As I remember having like UFC 1 and 4 or something like that on VHS and it's totally different.
It was more of a circus act, I still remember this obese fat black guy fighting some white dude, lol.
Not the best example.
Snoop
QUOTE (Fitz @ Aug 29 2010, 10:28 PM) *
Warlord summed it up pretty well. I have said heaps that I am not a real knowledgeable MMA guy, but I still said what Warlord was saying before I read his response. When Abbot was in UFC, the UFC was totally different. As I remember having like UFC 1 and 4 or something like that on VHS and it's totally different.
It was more of a circus act, I still remember this obese fat black guy fighting some white dude, lol.
Not the best example.

Read my response for a more accurate post on my thoughts.
The Ollie Reed Fan Club
QUOTE (Snoop @ Aug 29 2010, 12:10 PM) *
Seriously dude, chill the fuck out. Of course it's a judgment call, that's why I said "IMO". laugh.gif

You probably know way more about MMA than me, but I do know that guys like Kimbo or Charles "Crazyhorse" Bennett are at least about to win MMA matches. I can't imagine a street brawler stepping into the squared circle getting as far as either of them did, and not because MMA is an "easier" sport, but because I believe it allows more variability to win. IMO boxing is more or less one style, one science, so you have to adhere strictly to the rules to have any relative success. MMA there's definitely science to each specific style, but at the same time there's always just an element of unpredictability due to the clashes of styles, and I think that gives more of a chance for fighters with no formal training to win, at least more than boxing.

But again this wasn't meant to say boxing is better than MMA, so I have no idea why you even brought up the Toney example. Plus, I thought you said last night's fight wasn't an exhibition between MMA and boxing in the first place. laugh.gif

I'd agree Snoop and it's why a guy like Ray Mercer, who was a good but not great boxer could demolish an MMA legend like Sylvia. That particular night the style of a striker worked best for Ray. Had ray tried to fight any other way with kicks or on the ground he gets pulverised. However throw it the other way around and I'd seriously doubt a so-so MMA guy could come and destroy a boxing legend in a pure boxing match. Boxing is more or less one style that you have to perfect.

With MMA there seems to be the striking, the kicks and the ground game I guess that's why it's called mixed martial arts, it's a bit of a few things. I personally think it's boring as shit but if it floats your boat then way to go. What was painfully demonstrated last night is that all aspects of the sport have to be respected and it stands on its own merits, and that merely having one discipline mastered is not nearly enough to compete at the highest level.
imike24
ok

[SIZE=1][FONT=arial]__________________
"traction devices patches enhancement pills female libido
pills volume pills antiaging HGHs pe guide devices weightloss webhosting"
blackbelt2003
Boxing is definitely further up the spectrum in the 'technical' stakes to MMA.

Boxing has been around, as a professional sport, for over a century now, and you can gauge the development in skills over that time. It took boxing right up until the 1940's or so for the fighters to develop the skills needed to be a proficient boxer.

MMA is still in the developmental stages. Although MMA has been around for thousands of years in the form of Greco-Roman Wrestling, Oriental arts etc, as an actual sport, with rules and set fighting styles, it's only been a few decades. Therefore, boxing HAS to have evolved more.

Give MMA another few decades and the athletes in it will have caught up and pushed THEIR sport to the pinnacle of technical ability. The same way we're seeing Cabbage Correira and Tim Sylvia looking like 'MMA cavemen' compared to the fighters today will be the same as seeing BJ Penn etc against the fighters in another twenty years.

Black
Mean Mister Mustard
QUOTE (blackbelt2003 @ Sep 1 2010, 12:45 PM) *
Boxing is definitely further up the spectrum in the 'technical' stakes to MMA.

Boxing has been around, as a professional sport, for over a century now, and you can gauge the development in skills over that time. It took boxing right up until the 1940's or so for the fighters to develop the skills needed to be a proficient boxer.

MMA is still in the developmental stages. Although MMA has been around for thousands of years in the form of Greco-Roman Wrestling, Oriental arts etc, as an actual sport, with rules and set fighting styles, it's only been a few decades. Therefore, boxing HAS to have evolved more.

Give MMA another few decades and the athletes in it will have caught up and pushed THEIR sport to the pinnacle of technical ability. The same way we're seeing Cabbage Correira and Tim Sylvia looking like 'MMA cavemen' compared to the fighters today will be the same as seeing BJ Penn etc against the fighters in another twenty years.

Black

Yeah there have been many evolutions in MMA since it officialy began back in the early 90's. It is a bit like boxing in the 1900-1920, where fighters from America would fight each other, and then once a champion emerged a new challenger would spring up in the form of another American or a foreigner. It was like that a few years ago when we didn't know whether Randy Couture was the best heavyweight or whether it was Fedor. It's pretty cool witnessing the evolution.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.