Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: What's the bigger PPV....
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
thehype
Just curious...which fight do you guys think would do bigger PPV numbers if it was announced right now:

Mayweather vs. Pacquiao

Or....

Tyson vs. Slice

laugh.gif

I know, I know...sounds like a crazy fucking question, but how many people do you think would bite just on the fact that Tyson is returning to the ring?

laugh.gif

Just something to think about.

Here's another question...which of those fights do you think would have the better 24/7?

dntknw.gif
TRU
Internationally... Pac-Mayweather.

Here... could be something else.

Tyson-Slice would be viewed as a farce by the hardcore fan which makes up maybe a 500,000 people in the states at most.

Hype... hit me back on the e-mail bro.
JD
Pac - Mayweather is bigger...but Tyson - Slice 24 / 7 DOMINATES.
thehype
QUOTE (TRU @ Aug 26 2010, 09:19 PM) *
Internationally... Pac-Mayweather.

Here... could be something else.

Tyson-Slice would be viewed as a farce by the hardcore fan which makes up maybe a 500,000 people in the states at most.

Hype... hit me back on the e-mail bro.

I would LOVE to see what kind of PPV numbers Mike Tyson would do WITH a 24/7.

I mean, don't get me wrong...Tyson vs. ANYONE should be considered a farce, but man, it still blows my mind how many people still talk about Mike like it's 1989. Not diehards, of course, but just all those casual folks, at the gym, at work...you know the type. I just wonder what's more powerful...the actual diehard fans or all those suckers who'll buy something just on the strength of a name.

Just curious.

I think you're right though...Mayweather-Pac would be bigger...at least I HOPE it would be.

laugh.gif

Wait, wait...e-mail...did you e-mail me recently or are you referring to our recent convo a week or so ago? Either way, we do still need to chit chat about some things. I'll hit you up.
Snoop
Pac vs Mayweather 24/7 would be pretty much taking each of their sides from previous 24/7's and sewing them together. I mean c'mon, more or less these two say the same things in almost all the 24/7's.

Shit I'd pay just to watch the 24/7s between Kimbo and Tyson. The dialogue would be unpredictable at this point.
King Eugene
I think Kimbo would draw more fans if they done a 24/7 series on him just his humility alone. A lot of people's perception of Kimbo is he is this big black dude with a nasty beard that talks a lot of trash and knocks out bums in back yards which isn't the case. He'll who doesn't get amped up and spew a little venom in the middle of a fight?
pcraw
Pac/May would slaughter Kimbo/Tyson on PPV and have the better 24/7. Tyson isn't that verbal guy anymore. He would be talking about how he respects Kimbo for taking the fight and shit like that. The shit Floyd SR. would be saying about Pac and Roach would be priceless. Lol
Snoop
QUOTE (pcraw @ Aug 27 2010, 12:48 PM) *
Pac/May would slaughter Kimbo/Tyson on PPV and have the better 24/7. Tyson isn't that verbal guy anymore. He would be talking about how he respects Kimbo for taking the fight and shit like that. The shit Floyd SR. would be saying about Pac and Roach would be priceless. Lol

I thought about how much Tyson has changed and how that would affect his shit talking. I still think he'd be able to say far more interesting shit than Mayweather could say to Pac or vice versa. But more interesting than Floyd SR. to Roach? Hmmm...that is a good question.
salvador
QUOTE (Snoop @ Aug 27 2010, 12:30 PM) *
I thought about how much Tyson has changed and how that would affect his shit talking. I still think he'd be able to say far more interesting shit than Mayweather could say to Pac or vice versa. But more interesting than Floyd SR. to Roach? Hmmm...that is a good question.

Tyson can outsell anyone for one reason: regardless of his skills and regardless of any other nonsense, there is nothing in sports that can compare to the 30 seconds between the staredown and the opening bell of a tyson fight. Roach and Floyd Sr. are selling to the people who already bought the fight before it was announced. Tyson sells to anyone who craves the thrill - i.e. EVERYONE.
JLUVBABY
the intrigue is gone on kimbo slice too... I dont think he is looked at as the big question mark anymore....
Byrd Man
Better PPV #'s, probably Manny vs. Floyd.

More entertaining 24/7, well...I dunno. Logic would say the Tyson one, but I think anyone that chooses that one is thinking of the old Tyson. Mike ain't that man anymore that's gonna go out and talk about eating children and fucking the world.

I'd say Manny/Floyd on both counts.
KookedKrack
QUOTE (Byrd Man @ Aug 27 2010, 08:54 PM) *
Better PPV #'s, probably Manny vs. Floyd.

More entertaining 24/7, well...I dunno. Logic would say the Tyson one, but I think anyone that chooses that one is thinking of the old Tyson. Mike ain't that man anymore that's gonna go out and talk about eating children and fucking the world.

I'd say Manny/Floyd on both counts.

Yup Pac vs Floyd does better in both accounts.

But the thought of a 24/7 with Tyson in his prime. shok.gif

Fuck that not even when he was in his prime the post jail Tyson would be perfect for 24/7 the whole show would be non stop Tyson quatables.
Col Reb
I would love to see the numbers for Tyson-Holyfield III, in the octagon!
Lil-lightsout
Manny-Floyd would do bigger numbers. Tyson still has a name, but I think most would be okay skipping seeing a really washed up fighter. And Kimbo has definitely lost a lot of his initial popularity.

I just think so many more people are truly interested in a seeing Pac-PBF fight. Even where I work it is amazing all the regular non boxing fans that know and want to see this fight.
thehype
I think some of you think that people just watch 24/7 for shit talking purposes. I TOTALLY disagree with that assessment. I think Tyson appearing on ANYTHING draws eyes...even if it's a fuckin reality show about pigeons. The mere sight of his name draws eyes. I mean, I don't know what the Nielsen Ratings were like, but I bet his appearance on Oprah did some pretty fuckin' good numbers...especially considering that she brought him back for a second time. And how many of you watched that Tyson documentary? I highly doubt you tuned in because you wanted to see more footage of Tyson knocking people out. No, you tuned in because you were curious...you wanted hear what he had to say...and listen you all did, just like you probably read that recent SI interview he did...and THAT was the softer, gentler Tyson...not the Tyson of old. I think a whole hell of a lot of people would watch any 24/7 featuring Tyson. Why? Because the man still has this aura...one that makes you want to watch.

Mayweather, however, just gives you the same ol' regurgitated smack...the same ol' regurgitated flossin...same ol' shit. That's not to say it's not entertaining, but the point is, with Mayweather, you know what you're going to get. Same holds true with Pacquiao and his, "Uuuuummmmmmmm...I fight for da peoples and I fight whoeva my promota tell me to fight." I can't even remember any great moments from a Pacquiao 24/7. Tyson makes you watch because you just can't resist, and I think more people would watch just to see him hit the heavy bag than to hear him talk some smack. Not to mention, Tyson's actually a pretty fuckin' funny dude...he's an interesting character and I think that would play out well on 24/7. Truth be told, I think Mayweather AND Pacquiao are starting to fuck up the luster of their fight for a lot of fans.

Tyson...man...you'd watch him just to listen to him talk about boxing, let alone see him train.

laugh.gif

thehype
QUOTE (Lil-lightsout @ Aug 28 2010, 01:34 AM) *
I just think so many more people are truly interested in a seeing Pac-PBF fight. Even where I work it is amazing all the regular non boxing fans that know and want to see this fight.

I think more people know who Mike Tyson is than they know who Mayweather AND Pacquiao are. I know a whole hell of a lot of older cats in the gym...cats who all tell me how much they love boxing, but don't watch it anymore...but as soon as they start talking about it, guess whose name they bring up first?

MIKE TYSON!

I guarantee you can probably walk up to a total stranger...some fool who looks like he's never seen a fight in his life....ask him if he knew who Manny Pacquiao was and his answer would likely be, "Who? Manny Peacock?" But ask that same guy if he knows who Mike Tyson is, and guess what his answer will be?

laugh.gif

But hey, who knows if that guy would actually tune in to watch him fight.

dntknw.gif

That being said, I think there's a much better chance that he'd tune in to see Tyson fight than he would to see Manny Peacock fight.

laugh.gif

Who knows.

dntknw.gif

I bet all it would take is for Tyson to get ripped again (he's looking in much better shape now), give a little scowl and declare that he's coming back to clean up the mess he left behind. Like a WWE event, Tyson comes back as the good guy.

laugh.gif

And don't lie...you know you'll buy it...or at the very least, scramble to find a stream.

laugh.gif
Fitz
QUOTE (KookedKrack @ Aug 28 2010, 11:49 AM) *
Fuck that not even when he was in his prime the post jail Tyson would be perfect for 24/7 the whole show would be non stop Tyson quatables.

Tyson in his prime now would sell absolutely ridiculous. If millions of people will tune into a little asian and Floyd Mayweather, Tyson in his prime against someone like Holyfield would probably push 3 million if some of these guys are getting 2 millions, and that is no disrespect to these new PPV stars. But for entertainment purposes, I don't think anybody could come close to Tyson. The things he says, his ferocity and action packed fights. He would sell the fight and put on a show than fans like. He had everything from a marketing point and being a heavyweight just topped it off.
Lil-lightsout
QUOTE (thehype @ Aug 28 2010, 01:50 AM) *
I think more people know who Mike Tyson is than they know who Mayweather AND Pacquiao are. I know a whole hell of a lot of older cats in the gym...cats who all tell me how much they love boxing, but don't watch it anymore...but as soon as they start talking about it, guess whose name they bring up first?

MIKE TYSON!

I guarantee you can probably walk up to a total stranger...some fool who looks like he's never seen a fight in his life....ask him if he knew who Manny Pacquiao was and his answer would likely be, "Who? Manny Peacock?" But ask that same guy if he knows who Mike Tyson is, and guess what his answer will be?

laugh.gif

But hey, who knows if that guy would actually tune in to watch him fight.

dntknw.gif

That being said, I think there's a much better chance that he'd tune in to see Tyson fight than he would to see Manny Peacock fight.

laugh.gif

Who knows.

dntknw.gif

I bet all it would take is for Tyson to get ripped again (he's looking in much better shape now), give a little scowl and declare that he's coming back to clean up the mess he left behind. Like a WWE event, Tyson comes back as the good guy.

laugh.gif

And don't lie...you know you'll buy it...or at the very least, scramble to find a stream.

laugh.gif

The bolded part is the big question. I truly think many would be interested, but would be okay skipping on him at this point. Unless maybe Tyson scored a few sweet KO's to get the public thinking he is back. Not likely happening.

Bottom line is that Pac and Mayweather are basically in there primes(at the end though), and so many are interested in seeing who is the best. There are tons of Pacmaniacs that think he can beat PBF. And so many just want to see the arrogant Mayweather lose and get KTFO. And Floyd himself has a pretty marketable name.

I just think most hardcore fans would be smart enough to skip a Tyson fight, and would be way more eager to see Pac and Floyd. It all depends what the general public would be more willing to pay for. Just my take.

I definitely would not pay for a Tyson fight at this point, but I would stream it. laugh.gif
thehype
QUOTE (Lil-lightsout @ Aug 28 2010, 02:03 AM) *
The bolded part is the big question. I truly think many would be interested, but would be okay skipping on him at this point. Unless maybe Tyson scored a few sweet KO's to get the public thinking he is back. Not likely happening.

Bottom line is that Pac and Mayweather are basically in there primes(at the end though), and so many are interested in seeing who is the best. There are tons of Pacmaniacs that think he can beat PBF. And so many just want to see the arrogant Mayweather lose and get KTFO. And Floyd himself has a pretty marketable name.

I just think most hardcore fans would be smart enough to skip a Tyson fight, and would be way more eager to see Pac and Floyd. It all depends what the general public would be more willing to pay for. Just my take.

I definitely would not pay for a Tyson fight at this point, but I would stream it. laugh.gif

I don't think the "hardcore fans" are the ones that make up the majority of the PPV numbers. When Mayweather-DLH broke 2 million, I don't think it's because diehard fans bought it...I think it's because De La Hoya's hardcore fans bought it...the ones who only watched him because they thought he still had it, the females who only watched him because they thought he was cute...those are the type of fans that put PPV numbers over the top, not the diehard fans...and I think there's MUCH MORE of those fans out there than there are diehard fans. I would HOPE that the diehard fans WOULD NOT buy a fight like that, but man, honestly, no matter what diehard fans say, they can't help but to buy bullshit sometimes, which, in part, is one of the reasons why they're diehard fans. I mean, I know a friend of mine who IS a diehard fan and actually bought Holyfield vs. Valuev. Fucking Holyfield vs. Valuev? Are you fucking kidding me? If he's going to buy that, best believe he's going to buy a Tyson fight...espeically if it's his first fight back, regardless of whether or not he's had a couple of KOs prior to that. LOL. I'm telling you, I think you underestimate what a diehard fan will and won't buy. I also think you underestimate what a casual fan will buy. LOL. But hey, I guess that's why we're having this discussion....it's definitely debateable.
Method
QUOTE (thehype @ Aug 26 2010, 10:01 PM) *
Just curious...which fight do you guys think would do bigger PPV numbers if it was announced right now:

Mayweather vs. Pacquiao

Or....

Tyson vs. Slice

laugh.gif

I know, I know...sounds like a crazy fucking question, but how many people do you think would bite just on the fact that Tyson is returning to the ring?

laugh.gif

Just something to think about.

Here's another question...which of those fights do you think would have the better 24/7?

dntknw.gif

Tyson/Slice, my man!
upinya
QUOTE (JLUVBABY @ Aug 27 2010, 04:39 PM) *
the intrigue is gone on kimbo slice too... I dont think he is looked at as the big question mark anymore....

i could careless about pac and pbf.and i would never buy pac and margo PPV.we CHICANOS are unitting in not to buy this PHUCKED UO FIGHT BEWTEEN A RHOID USER AND A CHEAT.why do you think pac goes too bagui too train.........get real FOLKS.............
streetlion1
The obvious answer is Pac-May...but I would still buy Tyson-Slice just because im a Tyson fan. I think Pac-May would break all records for PPV.
Jack 1000
QUOTE (pcraw @ Aug 27 2010, 07:48 AM) *

Cosign!

Jack
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.