Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Tarver going to Heavyweight
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
Box in Hand
Just got word that Antonio Tarver is moving up to heavyweight and plans on staying there. Any thoughts? I like Tarver's charisma but not sure at this advanced age if he could make any serious impact even in a division as bad as the heavys.
Fitz
I don't like Tarver (though I mind him a lot less these days) and I know he isn't what he was, but good initiative. I like the idea that light heavies and cruisers are moving into heavyweight and trying to take advantage of being in such bad shape. We certainly don't have any good natural heavyweights coming through and the division is garbage. Maybe we are at least going to strike lucky soon, and one of the light heavy or cruisers will actually make it and clean out these pathetic heavyweights, or maybe these guys can try bring the best and more talent out of the upcoming heavies.
It's why I have said that Danny Green not getting any big fights, he may as well just go up to heavyweight. He has the power and strength.
Big Slim Sweet
I'm one of the few guys around here who has always liked Tarver but he has no shot at making any real noise in the heavyweight division.
Warlord
Can't wait to see him get his ugly ass stretched. Maybe he can fight James Toney first.

It'd be epic sweet to see that pink-gummed, milk-dud motherfucker get laid out stiff by one of the Klits.
Lil-lightsout
I don't like Tarver, but sounds like a good move on his part. He can not compete with the top light heavies anymore, but in this shitty heavyweight division, he can maybe make a little noise. It would be awesome to see him stretched, hahaha.
BigG
I think he can beat a few contenders. Some contenders are just bums at this weight.
King Eugene
As soon as Tarver faces an elite(Klits or Haye) heavyweight he'll be out gunned and defused! At this point I've give Arreola a good shot at whipping Tarver.
Lil-lightsout
QUOTE (BigG @ Aug 28 2010, 01:08 AM) *
I think he can beat a few contenders. Some contenders are just bums at this weight.

I love this reply BigG! So sad, but so true.
JD
Front foot heavy...no proven power at heavy...not all that fast...ok defense.

Yeah, this should go well.
The Original MrFactor
I'd pay to see Kimbo vs Tarver...
JD
Give me Tarver.
King Eugene
QUOTE (The Original MrFactor @ Aug 28 2010, 01:37 AM) *

Tarver stops Kimbo...........EARLY!
The Original MrFactor
QUOTE (King Eugene @ Aug 28 2010, 02:25 AM) *

You think so? I'm not so sure. I dont think Tarver has anything left. I dont know Kimbo's height and weight or his age. He does seem to be a bit fresher than Tarver. definately hungrier. I think he'll be in Tarver's chest swinging for the fence. Tarver doesnt have great defense and could get caught with something. I'd like to see the fight fopr the sheer, possibility of a trainwreck.
Lil-lightsout
QUOTE (King Eugene @ Aug 28 2010, 02:25 AM) *

and Easily.
King Eugene
QUOTE (The Original MrFactor @ Aug 28 2010, 02:39 AM) *
You think so? I'm not so sure. I dont think Tarver has anything left. I dont know Kimbo's height and weight or his age. He does seem to be a bit fresher than Tarver. definately hungrier. I think he'll be in Tarver's chest swinging for the fence. Tarver doesnt have great defense and could get caught with something. I'd like to see the fight fopr the sheer, possibility of a trainwreck.

I'd be rooting for Kimbo but would pick Tarver based on his superior boxing skills. He isn't the greatest but he isn't a bum(damn I hated saying that). Kimbo gasses and got dropped by a JAB he DIDN'T SEE COMING! Tarver being at the southpaw stance will hit him with a lot of shit he doesn't see coming. All that anchoring and weaving Kimbo did with those back yard cats wont work with Tarver. He'll time it and touch that chin. We've watched enough Kimbo backyard fights to see he's even been dropped in his WINS. He gets dropped by Tarver he'll be finished by Tarver as well.......EARLY!
sweetchuck
Sad thing, Tarver should have made enough money in his fights not to have to do this. If Tarver fights the likes of Kimbo he'll win some, but no chance against a real heavyweight. By the way, the heavyweight is like a lot of other divisions, one or two good fighters and then everyone else, but think about it, if the Klitschko's were American they would be looked at differently. Too much attention is given to the old names in the division and new guys don't get their opportunity. Wait, then again, in a heavyweight division where Chauncy Welliver is a top ten heavyweight, yeah, forget all my defending of the heavyweight division. Sorry Chauncy, you're my friend, but yeah.
Big Slim Sweet
QUOTE (The Original MrFactor @ Aug 28 2010, 12:37 AM) *

I'd probably pay for that too.

Tarver likes to call himself the legend killer. Let him fight Holyfield.

And of course, Toney-Tarver would be irresistible. P4P trash talking.

Good move by Tarver I suppose. There's some money to be made perhaps.
JLUVBABY
QUOTE (Big Slim Sweet @ Aug 28 2010, 09:56 AM) *
I'd probably pay for that too.

Tarver likes to call himself the legend killer. Let him fight Holyfield.

And of course, Toney-Tarver would be irresistible. P4P trash talking.

Good move by Tarver I suppose. There's some money to be made perhaps.

evander would slaughter tarver... lol... id love to see that... i like the first tarver vs. harding fight... i love seeing him get his ass handed to him... i actually like him as an announcer but as a fighter i cant stand that guy... lol... bernard beating the brakes off him is fun to watch as well....
Run and Gun Game Calls
What has tarver really done/ He beat a RJJ who was clearly not the same after his move back to lt heavy. Other than that what has he really accomplished to even be a name? beat glen Johnson?? Woo Hoo.

He is one of the most over rated fighters of all time
D-MARV
QUOTE (Run and Gun Game Calls @ Aug 29 2010, 12:47 PM) *
What has tarver really done/ He beat a RJJ who was clearly not the same after his move back to lt heavy. Other than that what has he really accomplished to even be a name? beat glen Johnson?? Woo Hoo.

He is one of the most over rated fighters of all time

Really? I don't remember anyone ever saying he was a great fighter. He's Buster Douglas
JLUVBABY
tarver is a one hit wonder over a declining great fighter... he was a good fighter, no where nears great fighter in his prime.... thats the best of it.... Stole the mason dixon role in rocky balboa from roy jones jr. due to his win over him... thats the highlight of his career....
Big Slim Sweet
Tarver's had a better career overall than Buster Douglas. He beat some solid guys.
JLUVBABY
QUOTE (Big Slim Sweet @ Aug 29 2010, 01:07 PM) *
Tarver's had a better career overall than Buster Douglas. He beat some solid guys.

skill wise big slim, i'd say when motivated prime for prime buster douglas was the better fighter... his problem throughout his career was keeping him motivated... and just my opinion, but nothing tarver did as a pro even if you added them all up could ever eclipse douglas knocking out tyson... that was monumental.... 50 years from now that clip will be shown... MAYBE they'll be showing tarver saying whats your excuse tonight roy?.. then him knocking roy out...
SmartyBeardo
Tarver still takes out Slice.
Big Slim Sweet
QUOTE (JLUVBABY @ Aug 29 2010, 01:21 PM) *
skill wise big slim, i'd say when motivated prime for prime buster douglas was the better fighter... his problem throughout his career was keeping him motivated... and just my opinion, but nothing tarver did as a pro even if you added them all up could ever eclipse douglas knocking out tyson... that was monumental.... 50 years from now that clip will be shown... MAYBE they'll be showing tarver saying whats your excuse tonight roy?.. then him knocking roy out...

Tarver's KO of Jones ranks right alongside Buster's KO of Tyson as head and shoulders the two most astonishing moments of my lifetime as a boxing fan. Maybe nothing will ever eclipse Tokyo, but Tarver-Roy 2 comes A LOT closer than anything else I've seen.

"You got any excuses tonight Roy?" Whatever anyone thinks of any and everything else Antonio Tarver did, THAT shit was p4p all-time gangsta.

Douglas had skills for days but he generally didn't feel like applying them. I also think his fall from grace was far more humiliating. Laying down and checking the blood from his nose against Holyfield was weaker than getting spanked by Bernard. At least Tarver didn't quit.

Both guys were right place right time, just like Rahman and countless others. To some degree every success story involves luck though, in boxing and in life.
The Ollie Reed Fan Club
QUOTE (Big Slim Sweet @ Aug 29 2010, 11:04 PM) *
Tarver's KO of Jones ranks right alongside Buster's KO of Tyson as head and shoulders the two most astonishing moments of my lifetime as a boxing fan. Maybe nothing will ever eclipse Tokyo, but Tarver-Roy 2 comes A LOT closer than anything else I've seen.

"You got any excuses tonight Roy?" Whatever anyone thinks of any and everything else Antonio Tarver did, THAT shit was p4p all-time gangsta.

Douglas had skills for days but he generally didn't feel like applying them. I also think his fall from grace was far more humiliating. Laying down and checking the blood from his nose against Holyfield was weaker than getting spanked by Bernard. At least Tarver didn't quit.

Both guys were right place right time, just like Rahman and countless others. To some degree every success story involves luck though, in boxing and in life.

I understand this Slim but I'm not sure if I agree 100% The Tyson/Douglas fight I think we can all agree was so far beyond what anyone expected, possibly the greatest upset in the history of sports. Perhaps easier to call in retrospect, now we all have a greater idea of Tyson's crumbling private life, but at the time...................... I don't think I could speak for a week after the fight. I still can't watch that fight.

As for Roy/Tarver I dunno. We'd already seen Roy struggle against Tarver in the first fight, had seen him briefly on the deck against Harding, don't get me wrong it was still fucken shocking but I thought Tzsyu quitting on his stoool against Fatton was more shocking.

The gangsta part I definately get though. I loathe Tarver but that was the shizzle.
Lil-lightsout
QUOTE (The Ollie Reed Fan Club @ Aug 30 2010, 12:00 AM) *
As for Roy/Tarver I dunno. We'd already seen Roy struggle against Tarver in the first fight, had seen him briefly on the deck against Harding, don't get me wrong it was still fucken shocking but I thought Tzsyu quitting on his stoool against Fatton was more shocking.

You mean DelValle? I don't remember Harding ever having Roy on the canvas.
The Ollie Reed Fan Club
QUOTE (Lil-lightsout @ Aug 30 2010, 01:55 AM) *
You mean DelValle? I don't remember Harding ever having Roy on the canvas.

Yeah yeah sorry DelValle. I remember around that time Roy had a couple of slightly tougher fights than expected. Not tough tough, just tougher than expected.
Lil-lightsout
QUOTE (The Ollie Reed Fan Club @ Aug 30 2010, 01:58 AM) *
Yeah yeah sorry DelValle. I remember around that time Roy had a couple of slightly tougher fights than expected. Not tough tough, just tougher than expected.

It's all good. I just was wondering if I missed something? I do remember Roy not having a great night against Harding.
JLUVBABY
eric harding was a pretty good fighter...
Lil-lightsout
QUOTE (JLUVBABY @ Aug 30 2010, 05:25 PM) *
eric harding was a pretty good fighter...

I agree with that, he was a solid tough fighter.
rusty_trombone
Tarver is still fighting, does anyone give a shit?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.