Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Toney-Couture (SPOILERS WITHIN)-Expected Around 9:30 CT/10:30 ET
FightHype Community > OTHER HYPE > Archives
Pages: 1, 2, 3
The Ollie Reed Fan Club
QUOTE (Fitz @ Aug 30 2010, 12:08 AM) *
I have admitted that while I don't hate MMA, it just doesn't do it for me like boxing does and I just don't get the feeling and into it like I do with boxing, but I don't think it's fair to judge the sport on that. I don't find it entertaining when guys are rolling (though I respect it, and see what they are trying to do), though I don't think a fight like that gives a full picture of the sport. I seen some entertaining fights where they have strikes, kicks, elbows and just a good ground and pound.

I suppose it's like seeing a Hatton or Ruiz fight and then saying "so that's the sport huh? Different strokes for different folks". A Hatton or Ruiz fight isn't a good example to use to describe what boxing is about and what people love about the sport for entertainment value, they would probably use a Pacquiao-Marquez fight for that, just like I am sure they wouldn't use a style that we saw between Couture-Toney as an example of what people find great about the sport.

I have seen a few other fights and really none of it does anything for me. I don't like the kicks, I don't like the elbows and the ground and pounds just look messy to me. The contest is too static for my liking. I don't even like that fucken octagon ring thing. Don't think I'm basing it off one fight. That fight just merely reinforced to me that it isn't my cup of tea. I just don't see any grace or beauty in the violence of MMA the way I see it in boxing. It leaves me cold and disengaged. Does that make sense?
Lil-lightsout
QUOTE (The Ollie Reed Fan Club @ Aug 29 2010, 11:43 PM) *
And quickly to Lil LightsOut, dude I know how you feel, growing up James was my favourite fighter as well. Watching he and Tyson as a kid is what got me into the sport. Think of the good days and although he's underachieved James has still had more good nights than bad. He is a first ballot hall of famer and one of the best to lace them up, wear your sig with pride, it's an honour to be a fellow Toney fan with you drinks.gif

Very well said. Thanks my man. drinks.gif
AussieLad
Man, toney mustnt have trained at all? As we all know from reading this board, it only takes a couple of months training to get you enough take down defence to become a force in the UFC...

thumbsup_anim.gif

And what was he doing tapping? A guy as tough as James... just doesnt make sense him tapping to some pansy ass choking...
Fitz
lol
lloyd mayflower
Recorded it, finally got a chance to watch it. I'm sure its already been said, but talk about goin out with a whimper. Embarrasing. Give it up fatboy, give it ALL up.
Lil-lightsout
QUOTE (AussieLad @ Aug 30 2010, 05:37 AM) *
And what was he doing tapping? A guy as tough as James... just doesnt make sense him tapping to some pansy ass choking...

How the fuck is he supposed to eat if Randy would have ruined his throat forever? That's the only thing that went through his mind at that time. He just wanted to make sure he could swallow another whopper after the fight. laugh.gif
Spyder
Man, toney mustnt have trained at all? As we all know from reading this board, it only takes a couple of months training to get you enough take down defence to become a force in the UFC...

thumbsup_anim.gif

Well at least James finally found a sport where wins and losses don't matter.

Give him 1 'tune-up' fight and he'll be ready for a shot at the title!

thumbsup_anim.gif
Warlord
QUOTE (Spyder @ Aug 30 2010, 12:47 PM) *

thumbsup_anim.gif

Good thing that shit don't happen in boxing. I mean, imagine a guy getting caught loading up his gloves before taking a brutal beat-down, and then get handed the opportunity of fighting the sport's most popular fighter for a ton of money and a shot at the title afterwards. I mean, that's preposterous. Oh wait....
Spyder
QUOTE (Warlord @ Aug 30 2010, 08:37 PM) *
Good thing that shit don't happen in boxing. I mean, imagine a guy getting caught loading up his gloves before taking a brutal beat-down, and then get handed the opportunity of fighting the sport's most popular fighter for a ton of money and a shot at the title afterwards. I mean, that's preposterous. Oh wait....

Well then, I guess all is as it should be...
JLUVBABY
QUOTE (The Ollie Reed Fan Club @ Aug 29 2010, 11:20 PM) *
I have seen a few other fights and really none of it does anything for me. I don't like the kicks, I don't like the elbows and the ground and pounds just look messy to me. The contest is too static for my liking. I don't even like that fucken octagon ring thing. Don't think I'm basing it off one fight. That fight just merely reinforced to me that it isn't my cup of tea. I just don't see any grace or beauty in the violence of MMA the way I see it in boxing. It leaves me cold and disengaged. Does that make sense?

agreed... that fight card was horrible and its not because toney put up such a horrible showing... there is no grace in the octagon... ufc fighters have no character... and whats sad is i wasted my money on that farce when there was a quality ppv on the next channel and probably less money in calderon vs. segura... not sure if i will buy another ufc ppv... id rather waste my money on boxing than what they are putting out if its gonna be a shit fight card...
rusty_trombone

thumbsup_anim.gif

I am convinced, James Toney must not have trained at all.
Warlord
QUOTE (JLUVBABY @ Aug 30 2010, 09:55 PM) *
agreed... that fight card was horrible and its not because toney put up such a horrible showing... there is no grace in the octagon... ufc fighters have no character...

What the hell are you talking about, dude? Find another fighter on the planet with the character of a Wanderlei Silva. A guy who chooses to go to war in every single fight he's in, win or lose, just to please the fans. A guy who could take his opponents down and grind out victory after victory, but doesn't, because again, he just wants to please the fans.

Wanderlei Silva, a guy who doesn't even refer to fans as fans, but instead, friends. A guy who even gave out his phone number to fans during an interview, inviting them to call him. Only please, not so late, because his wife and son may be sleeping.

Wanderlei Silva, the guy who goes to UFC Fan Expos and takes pictures with every fan who wants it, no matter how many hours it takes. The guy who tells UFC officials to fuck off when they tell fans time is up, no more pictures.

How many surgeries has the man had? He's in a fucking wheelchair right now, and he STILL went to the UFC Fan Expo this weekend to sign autographs and take pictures with fans.

What boxer is doing that shit, man?

And in boxing we have faggot-ass Floyd Mayweather who STILL can't seem to nut up and fight a guy for $100 million purse.

Jluv you're usually a cool dude, but you can fuck right off with that statement about MMA fighters not having character. Boxing is the fucking cess-pool of professional sports right now, man. Dudes fucking raping chicks, murdering color commentator's brothers who gave them a place to stay, murdering their wives, getting murdered by their wives, etc...

Goddamn man, Pot fucking Kettle, dude. Pot fucking kettle. You got no room to talk when biting an opponent's ear off and loading up your gloves is like the least fucking thing to go wrong in the last 15-20 years of your favorite sport.
AussieLad
QUOTE (Lil-lightsout @ Aug 30 2010, 02:20 PM) *
How the fuck is he supposed to eat if Randy would have ruined his throat forever? That's the only thing that went through his mind at that time. He just wanted to make sure he could swallow another whopper after the fight. laugh.gif

I think he had to tap because he had half a burger stuck in his throat.

Ah, just stirring a few people. They know who they are.. lol
AussieLad
QUOTE (Spyder @ Aug 30 2010, 05:47 PM) *

thumbsup_anim.gif

The problem is, theres no-one currently in the UFC heavyweight division that can toney can beat based on that performance. Toney would need to go out to some backwoods MMA event just to get a win.

AussieLad
QUOTE (JLUVBABY @ Aug 31 2010, 02:55 AM) *
agreed... that fight card was horrible and its not because toney put up such a horrible showing... there is no grace in the octagon... ufc fighters have no character... and whats sad is i wasted my money on that farce when there was a quality ppv on the next channel and probably less money in calderon vs. segura... not sure if i will buy another ufc ppv... id rather waste my money on boxing than what they are putting out if its gonna be a shit fight card...

There were some good fights on the undercard, at least in my opinion. Lauzons arm bar, Millers choke, and the Diaz vs Davis fight were all pretty good. The headline fight was never going to be fireworks, based on how the first match went down.

9 times out of 10, the UFC events are pretty good

D-MARV
LOL, Warlord lost it.
Spyder
The problem is, theres no-one currently in the UFC heavyweight division that can toney can beat based on that performance. Toney would need to go out to some backwoods MMA event just to get a win.

I'm sure he could find Tim Sylvia or Andrei Arlovski in Strikeforce or some shit...

laugh.gif

QUOTE ( @ Aug 31 2010, 06:30 AM) *
LOL, Warlord lost it.

Eh, if we lived in China we'd be pissed at the world too.
Fitz
QUOTE (D-MARV @ Aug 31 2010, 08:30 PM) *
LOL, Warlord lost it.

He is acting no different than any of us would act when we hear casual sports fans make dumb comments about boxing. I know and everyone knows this gets on us boxing fans nerves. We have even had topics about it where we comment on stupid comments that piss us off.
Warlord is probably feeling the same way we do when he has casual fans making ignorant comments on MMA. The difference is, that this time a lot of the people here are being 'that guy'. By the way, I'm not pointing it at you, just in speaking in general on several comments.
D-MARV
QUOTE (Fitz @ Aug 31 2010, 08:03 AM) *
He is acting no different than any of us would act when we hear casual sports fans make dumb comments about boxing. I know and everyone knows this gets on us boxing fans nerves. We have even had topics about it where we comment on stupid comments that piss us off.
Warlord is probably feeling the same way we do when he has casual fans making ignorant comments on MMA. The difference is, that this time a lot of the people here are being 'that guy'. By the way, I'm not pointing it at you, just in speaking in general on several comments.

I, for one, wouldn't be on a UFC forum getting all defensive because someone says something bad about boxing. But that's just me. I like Warlord... dude is a very good poster but he should just ignore all the silly comments about UFC. This being a "predominately" boxing forum, he needs to recognize that people are going to talk bad about UFC. I don't see Percy or CEO react to every little comment about the UFC.
rusty_trombone
QUOTE (Warlord @ Aug 30 2010, 10:55 PM) *
What the hell are you talking about, dude? Find another fighter on the planet with the character of a Wanderlei Silva. A guy who chooses to go to war in every single fight he's in, win or lose, just to please the fans. A guy who could take his opponents down and grind out victory after victory, but doesn't, because again, he just wants to please the fans.

Wanderlei Silva, a guy who doesn't even refer to fans as fans, but instead, friends. A guy who even gave out his phone number to fans during an interview, inviting them to call him. Only please, not so late, because his wife and son may be sleeping.

Wanderlei Silva, the guy who goes to UFC Fan Expos and takes pictures with every fan who wants it, no matter how many hours it takes. The guy who tells UFC officials to fuck off when they tell fans time is up, no more pictures.

How many surgeries has the man had? He's in a fucking wheelchair right now, and he STILL went to the UFC Fan Expo this weekend to sign autographs and take pictures with fans.

And in boxing we have faggot-ass Floyd Mayweather who STILL can't seem to nut up and fight a guy for $100 million purse.

Jluv you're usually a cool dude, but you can fuck right off with that statement about MMA fighters not having character. Boxing is the fucking cess-pool of professional sports right now, man. Dudes fucking raping chicks, murdering color commentator's brothers who gave them a place to stay, murdering their wives, getting murdered by their wives, etc...

Goddamn man, Pot fucking Kettle, dude. Pot fucking kettle. You got no room to talk when biting an opponent's ear off and loading up your gloves is like the least fucking thing to go wrong in the last 15-20 years of your favorite sport.

I do believe the UFC fighters get into their share of legal trouble also, I mean murder, suicide, assault, etc.. Don't act like UFC fighters are little angels sent down from heaven.

I don't particularly care about the character of either set of athletes, because they are just athletes, and serve no real intrinsic value to society. But I'm pretty sure, there are a natural amount of scumbags in every sport, not just boxing.
D-MARV
QUOTE (rusty_trombone @ Aug 31 2010, 11:46 AM) *
I do believe the UFC fighters get into their share of legal trouble also, I mean murder, suicide, assault, etc.. Don't act like UFC fighters are little angels sent down from heaven.

I don't particularly care about the character of either set of athletes, because they are just athletes, and serve no real intrinsic value to society. But I'm pretty sure, there are a natural amount of scumbags in every sport, not just boxing.

Agreed. Rampage Jackson is far from an angel.
Method
I fucking spit my coffee all over my keyboard when I read James Toney proclaiming, "I'm the only two-sport athlete".

Some of the funniest shit I've heard in a long time.
JLUVBABY
QUOTE (Warlord @ Aug 30 2010, 09:55 PM) *

LOL!!!! man im just stating my opinion bout the ufc homie... lol... matter of fact i think K-1 is a better organization with better fights and fighters... get mad if you want but the ufc events have been slipping, again in my opinion, LOL!!!!.. reason?... because they know they are going to sell regardless, the same reason boxing promoters watered down their shows... IF they know "shit" is going to sell why load up the card when its guarenteed brain washed cronies are going to buy anyway?... just saying... say what you want but ufc events are not what they where even a year ago... IN MY OPINION... LOL!!!!!!

and when i say ufc fighters dont have character... i mean they dont have that pizazz... that finesse to get the people talking.... for once ufc was barber shop conversation, just as the big BOXING MATCHES usually are... why?... James Lights Out Toney, thats why... ufc doesnt have a one james toney... regardless of how he got his ass kicked couture vs toney sold that fight card cuzz of the way toney talked shit... not couture... james toney sold that fight card with his shit talking... bet you one thing tho warlord... we wont see couture cross over and fight toney in a boxing ring... just like we didnt see anderson silva cross over and fight roy jones jr... WHY?... cuzz dana "pimp his fighters" white already knows whats gonna happen in both of those fights... so for that alone i give james toney credit for giving it a try, as dismal of an outing as that was... real fight fans know the deal... it will always be ok for the boxer to cross over to mma but when it comes time for that payback.. we'll never see them in our fighters realm, that boxing ring, cuzz an ass whipping is waiting right back... matter of fact the only mma fighter i have that type of respect for is kj noons... he can do both... who else?... please tell me... fact is there will be more boxers to cross over and has been then will be mma fighters into the boxing ring.... butterbean has had success as much of a joke as he has been... ray mercer ko'd former ufc champ tim sylvia.... jeremy williams is undefeated at 5-0 right now in mma... Arvloski didnt have a chin for mma, isnt he gonna try to make a boxing debut?... his cap is gonna get peeled ever further back in boxing...

As for wanderlei silva or what not giving his number out to his fans, in my opinion he was a fool for that... bet his wife cussed his ass out and made him change the number... lol...
jlupi
jeremy williams is undefeated at 5-0 right now in mma>>>>>

and who did he fight? how long ago? Also if im not mistaken JW is blackbelt in judo.

How much respect should james get for getting his ass beat. Randy put it best to paraphrase " me fighting james in boxing would be about as smart as james fighting me in MMA".

as for barber shop talk? who generates that in boxing now? we are down to 2 fighters both mulling retirement.
JLUVBABY
QUOTE (jlupi @ Aug 31 2010, 05:12 PM) *
jeremy williams is undefeated at 5-0 right now in mma>>>>>

and who did he fight? how long ago? Also if im not mistaken JW is blackbelt in judo.

How much respect should james get for getting his ass beat. Randy put it best to paraphrase " me fighting james in boxing would be about as smart as james fighting me in MMA".

as for barber shop talk? who generates that in boxing now? we are down to 2 fighters both mulling retirement.

yeah last i checked jeremy hadnt lost an mma fight... retiring or not pac vs mayweather is normal discussion in the shop i go to...
The Ollie Reed Fan Club
QUOTE (SmartyBeardo @ Aug 31 2010, 09:56 PM) *
How can JT not have a reality show?

I don't know either. As long as it has subtitles it would be a smash hit. It would crap all over Hogan or Ozzy.

I can just see it now. James at BK, James doing a sit-up.

James at McDonalds, James going for a run to the letterbox and back.

James at Domino's, James making prank calls to Chris Byrd.

So many different potential comedy scenario's.....................all the while shit talking about anybody and everything.

"I'm the king of John Madden!" Best fucken quote ever.
Lil-lightsout
James watching fights on TV ripping on guys.

James playing XBOX online talking trash.

James doing yoga.

James seeing a nutritionist.

James training some young fighters.

James just walking around the town or a mall.

James attending an MMA card.

James at a bar having a few drinks in him.

James attending church.

James reading children books for sick kids.

Mean Mister Mustard
I have no interest in seeing Couture fight Toney in a boxing match. Toney was the one hooting and hollering about how boxers are the better FIGHTERS, and he proved that simply knowing how to box is not enough to win a fight (MMA being the closest thing to a streetfight). The only thing a Toney-Couture boxing match would prove is that Toney is a superior boxer, which is a fact that no one, including Couture, disputes.
Lil-lightsout
QUOTE (Mean Mister Mustard @ Sep 1 2010, 12:10 AM) *
I have no interest in seeing Couture fight Toney in a boxing match. Toney was the one hooting and hollering about how boxers are the better FIGHTERS, and he proved that simply knowing how to box is not enough to win a fight (MMA being the closest thing to a streetfight). The only thing a Toney-Couture boxing match would prove is that Toney is a superior boxer, which is a fact that no one, including Couture, disputes.

No doubt Couture and we all know it already, I still would like to see an exhibition for the heck of it. Heck... they could give all the money to a charity. Actually though, it just be better to see Toney just stay active fighting anyone for that matter in a boxing ring.
Fitz
QUOTE (Mean Mister Mustard @ Sep 1 2010, 02:10 PM) *

Exactly. I really like Toney, but that sums it up. I think a lot of boxing fans are feeling emasculated which shouldn't be the case, because he beat him in a different sport. Now people want a UFC fighter to go into boxing, so they can feel better about themselves.

laugh.gif
The Ollie Reed Fan Club
QUOTE (Lil-lightsout @ Aug 31 2010, 11:05 PM) *
James seeing a nutritionist.

laugh.gif

What the fuck are you talkin about? I am not FAT!!!!!!

OK OK so I'll limit it to 5 Whoppers and a Sprite for dinner. We good?
Lil-lightsout
QUOTE (The Ollie Reed Fan Club @ Sep 1 2010, 12:55 AM) *
laugh.gif

What the fuck are you talkin about? I am not FAT!!!!!!

OK OK so I'll limit it to 5 Whoppers and a Sprite for dinner. We good?

Then the nutritionist would say, "sounds good to me Mr. Toney". And your bloodwork came back flawless and I see no reason include and fruits or vegetables in your diet. Keep up the good work Champ.
King Eugene
QUOTE (SmartyBeardo @ Sep 1 2010, 01:33 AM) *
James calling Percy and saying he's taking up Fencing to become the only three sport athlete.

laugh.gif

One thing you have to give Toney credit for though is he didn't lose and get missing. He gave the MMA guys their props and is still talking trash about everybody else.

Not a good look for his camp though. He and King Mo both lost. Please give us Toney vs. Tarver next....PLEASE!!!
The Ollie Reed Fan Club
QUOTE (SmartyBeardo @ Sep 1 2010, 12:33 AM) *
James calling Percy and saying he's taking up Fencing to become the only three sport athlete.

The world of reality needs this show. Maybe James could purchase a BK franchaise and we could follow his progress as he eats the profits.

3 sport athelete. Classic. Give it 12 months James will be doing the decathalon. LOL

Agreed KE I would like to see Toney/Tarver. Would certainly be entertaining.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.