Full Version: Toney-Couture (SPOILERS WITHIN)-Expected Around 9:30 CT/10:30 ET
FightHype Community > OTHER HYPE > Archives
Pages: 1, 2, 3
EirbinX
i hate mma 10x more now....
SmartyBeardo
QUOTE (EirbinX @ Aug 28 2010, 10:59 PM) *

Come on dude. I caught the last UFC with Big Country and Silva vs that Oregonian Animal in Brazil. That was a mothafin badass card.
The CEO
QUOTE (SmartyBeardo @ Aug 28 2010, 11:58 PM) *
Glad you didn't bother to "PM" the old man.

Shit, man...did you ask?
JD
LOL...that was hilarious.
SmartyBeardo
QUOTE (The CEO @ Aug 28 2010, 11:01 PM) *
Shit, man...did you ask?

Dude, how bout you "PM" me some of that shit your smokin'?
The CEO
I didn't even have time to imagine a perfect counter right to Shoulder Lean...lol
Snoop
I'm just left wondering how I thought a different outcome was possible.
The CEO
QUOTE (SmartyBeardo @ Aug 29 2010, 12:04 AM) *
Dude, how bout you "PM" me some of that shit your smokin'?

lol...I would if I could......it's buddy....stinky.....
D-MARV
Is anyone here really surprised?
SmartyBeardo
By the way, I'll be first to give Couture his props. Fukin' JT! Seriously, I could have done better. Just give me a week or two to recover.
JD
QUOTE (Snoop @ Aug 29 2010, 12:05 AM) *
I'm just left wondering how I thought a different outcome was possible.

So am I.
Warlord
QUOTE (EirbinX @ Aug 28 2010, 10:59 PM) *

That's cool. You guys just STFU now about how boxers are better than Mixed Martial Artists. They are both great at what they do, but you don't walk into another man's house and attempt to take a dump in his living room floor. Shit ain't happening. Ever.
D-MARV
QUOTE (Warlord @ Aug 29 2010, 12:09 AM) *
That's cool. You guys just STFU now about how boxers are better than Mixed Martial Artists. They are both great at what they do, but you don't walk into another man's house and attempt to take a dump in his living room floor. Shit ain't happening. Ever.

Mercer took a dump in Sylvia 's living room. LOL, Just Kidding. I'm just gald this whole thing is over. Maybe all the ignorance will leave with it.
SmartyBeardo
QUOTE (Warlord @ Aug 28 2010, 11:09 PM) *

Depends.
EirbinX
QUOTE (SmartyBeardo @ Aug 29 2010, 12:07 AM) *
By the way, I'll be first to give Couture his props. Fukin' JT! Seriously, I could have done better. Just give me a week or two to recover.

i must love boxing but how do u gove someone that wrestles all his life wrestle someone to the ground that never wrestles he was happy to stand up with brock why couldnt he do it here...
SmartyBeardo
QUOTE (EirbinX @ Aug 28 2010, 11:15 PM) *
i must love boxing but how do u gove someone that wrestles all his life wrestle someone to the ground that never wrestles he was happy to stand up with brock why couldnt he do it here...

Cuz he aint a moron.
Snoop
QUOTE (JD @ Aug 29 2010, 05:08 AM) *
So am I.

LMAO. fuck.gif
The CEO
got some posts in the UFC section... http://www.fighthype.com/community/index.p...view=getnewpost
Lil-lightsout
1- To think I actually thought Toney could get at least one punch off, LOL.

2- Couture obviously had a smart game plan, duh.

3- Couture was a classy interview.

4- Toney trained 9 months, and could not get off one sprawl, hahaha. What did his team think Randy was going to do?

5- Toney should never step in an octagon again, stay busy and get some fights in the boxing ring you fat fuck!

6- I do not care how tough you are, when a skilled MMA guy puts you in a submission, you are tapping, going to sleep, or getting hurt bad.

7- I think most truly expected this, but HOPED for a miracle.

8- Couture is 47, and stays in amazing shape, good for him.

9- I wonder what blood work on Toney would look like, if they could even find a vein?

10- IMO, Toney "representing" boxing tonight was an embarrassment for boxers( his effort and physique).

11- Really thinking about changing my screen name, lol.

The CEO
I can change it if you want, man...lol

Edgar just embarrassed Penn iMo...UD win.
The Original MrFactor
Couture vs Grimace...

No surprises in the outcome. Just surprised Grimace wasn't sipping on a shake during the post fight interview...
Lil-lightsout
QUOTE (The CEO @ Aug 29 2010, 12:44 AM) *
I can change it if you want, man...lol

I feel like every fighter after a tough loss that retires immediately in the post fight interview. Let me think it over before I make a rash decision. I think I will take a family vacation and after I return I will announce my future plans.
The CEO
QUOTE (Lil-lightsout @ Aug 29 2010, 12:50 AM) *
I feel like every fighter after a tough loss that retires immediately in the post fight interview. Let me think it over before I make a rash decision. I think I will take a family vacation and after I return I will announce my future plans.

Cool cool...but let it be known there was nothin' like a prime, Boxing James Toney...
Warlord
QUOTE (Lil-lightsout @ Aug 29 2010, 12:50 AM) *

Yeah, don't give up on James, man. He's an all-time great, and has balls the size of grapefruits for even trying to do what he did.

Wear your handle proudly. Not many fighters in the world willing to do what James did tonight. He got himself humbled and totally embarrassed. Sometimes that's the price a man must pay when he dares to be great.
SmartyBeardo
QUOTE (Warlord @ Aug 29 2010, 12:01 AM) *
Yeah, don't give up on James, man. He's an all-time great, and has balls the size of grapefruits for even trying to do what he did.

Wear your handle proudly. Not many fighters in the world willing to do what James did tonight. He got himself humbled and totally embarrassed. Sometimes that's the price a man must pay when he dares to be great.

Well said.
Lil-lightsout
Thanks guys. I remember seeing Toney's first fight back in 1989 in high school on TNF's. Seeing him KO Nunn, solidified him as my favorite fighter ever since. Got to see him fight live at Fernwood back in the mid 90's on ESPN, that was awesome. I just am a little bummed right now, it was tough watching that.
alaganza
Much respect to Toney for even climbing in the Octagon. It definitely doesn't mean MMA is better than boxing at all. It's like comparing american football to rugby.

Besides that if Randy would have jumped in the boxing ring with James he would have gotten embarrassed too.

When I was watching the fight as soon as Randy secured the takedown I turned to the guy beside me and said the fight is over.

I do give James credit for throwing his hands even from his back. I also give him credit for surviving so long in that arm choke.

No shame.
JD
Can we now move forward from the boxing vs mma shit?

Boxers win in boxing matches, mma fighters win in mma matches.

End of...
PR316
Agree 100% JD.

Though it is annoying to hear the young and ignorant UFC fans talk shit "This proves MMA is better than boxing". rolleyes_anim.gif

Really annoying.

But I'm glad I didn't watch this. Had all the makings of a circus and it looks like thats what it was.
Big Slim Sweet
Damn, damn, damn, James...
Warlord
QUOTE (PR316 @ Aug 29 2010, 01:37 AM) *
Agree 100% JD.

Though it is annoying to hear the young and ignorant UFC fans talk shit "This proves MMA is better than boxing". rolleyes_anim.gif

Would've been no different if Toney had won. Would've seen a ton of ignorant boxing fans going on about how boxing is better than MMA.

Check that shit at the door.
Fitz
James didn't have a clue in there as soon as it went to the ground. "Beached whale" sums it up pretty well.

Good on James anyways for getting in there and taking a risk, and I hope if anything was taken away from this, is that I hope we have less ignorant people. Both athletes are skilled in what they do, they are in different sports and should excel in the sports they chose, rather than argue which one is better.
That said, I can enjoy an MMA fight, but I just cannot get into it fully, I just don't feel it. That's not to say I dislike the sport, I just don't love it. Though I respect it, and I like the way it is run, boxing could take some notes.
Warlord
Someone put Jonny Blaze on suicide watch. I saw him in here perusing this thread, and then he suddenly vanished. I don't suspect foul play at this point, but I am worried that he may have done something drastic. I know he can't be happy about tonight's spectacle.
BigG
You know I expected this like many others here. Cotoure aint got a shot standing with Toney but he did the smart thing and went for the takedown.

Toney aint built for MMA at this point or not at the elite level. Give him credit for getting in there with a top fighter in his first fight. He's over 40 and fat and with only 4 months deep in other martial arts. He's tough as nails and skilled as hell but he's too seriously too fat and slow at this point. Looked like he fell on his own trying to sprawl or something and Cotoure just submitted someone who's a novice.

I think you put a guy thats young and fast and with some other background history (Judah, Cintron, Malignaggi) they could do well.
Method
QUOTE (BigG @ Aug 29 2010, 07:14 AM) *
Toney aint built for MMA at this point

Toney ain't built for SHIT at this point, except eating.
JLUVBABY
me and my girl watched that shit last night.... her first response when randy had james in the side mount and all you could see was that flabby belly was... "damn, did he train for this...lol...".... i sum up that fight like this... 1... james toney wasnt the best rep for the sport of boxing to have tried what he attempted to do (wasnt vitali klit an undefeated kick boxing champ?)... 2.... it is quite obvious that boxing and mma are two completely different sports... as unskilled as toney was last night he'd do the same to couture in a boxing match... toney looked out of his element from the weigh in on... i'll also add even at 47 couture is still fighting at a very high skill level mma wise and toney is as green a novice as you could see enter the octagon...

with that being said i still remind you guys when anderson silva wanted to cross over and box roy jones jr... dana white would not let that happen cuzz he knew the difference in sporting realms and he knew what would happen and it wouldnt look good on his sport... i wish toney would have had a clause in his contract that shall he lose they fight in a boxing match... even if it was just a 4 rounder.... just my thoughts on last night since it was billed as something that it wasnt, mma vs boxing.... thats like saying football vs soccer....
Warlord
QUOTE (JLUVBABY @ Aug 29 2010, 06:24 AM) *
me and my girl watched that shit last night.... her first response when randy had james in the side mount and all you could see was that flabby belly was... "damn, did he train for this...lol...".... i sum up that fight like this... 1... james toney wasnt the best rep for the sport of boxing to have tried what he attempted to do (wasnt vitali klit an undefeated kick boxing champ?)... 2.... it is quite obvious that boxing and mma are two completely different sports... as unskilled as toney was last night he'd do the same to couture in a boxing match... toney looked out of his element from the weigh in on... i'll also add even at 47 couture is still fighting at a very high skill level mma wise and toney is as green a novice as you could see enter the octagon...

with that being said i still remind you guys when anderson silva wanted to cross over and box roy jones jr... dana white would not let that happen cuzz he knew the difference in sporting realms and he knew what would happen and it wouldnt look good on his sport... i wish toney would have had a clause in his contract that shall he lose they fight in a boxing match... even if it was just a 4 rounder.... just my thoughts on last night since it was billed as something that it wasnt, mma vs boxing.... thats like saying football vs soccer....

I don't think the UFC ever billed it as "MMA vs. boxing." I think that was done by a bunch of gay-ass fans and media outlets. But I'm glad to see guys finally starting to realize the obvious, that these are two entirely different sports and should be treated as such. (That last statement was not directed at you personally.)
Spyder
This is a national promo that the UFC was running...

The UFC Fanboys really bought into it too. The bar was packed with them last night, and they were as classy as ever. Very modest in "MMA's" victory.

I felt compelled to join them in denouncing boxing..."THAT'S how you win a fight!" "Fuck punching...you don't punch when you fight." "That right there, what we just saw, THAT'S how it's done!"

One of the classy dude's girlfriends politely corrected me and said, "No, that was gay."

Touche' young lady...touche'.
JD
That fight was terrible.
D-MARV
Last night was a complete joke. My only beef is that some MMA fans claimed that one of our best got his ass handed to him. NEWS FLASH!!! Toney is beyond shot. He struggled with Danny Batchelder.

James Toney = Tim Sylvia.
The CEO
QUOTE (SmartyBeardo @ Aug 28 2010, 11:58 PM) *
Glad you didn't bother to "PM" the old man.

Sorry about that, Beardo....I just reread the thread and caught where you asked me...I was gettin' a lot of PMs and was all over the place...you happened to slip through the cracks...
SmartyBeardo
QUOTE (D-MARV @ Aug 29 2010, 10:07 AM) *
Last night was a complete joke. My only beef is that some MMA fans claimed that one of our best got his ass handed to him. NEWS FLASH!!! Toney is beyond shot. He struggled with Danny Batchelder.

James Toney = Tim Sylvia.

Yeah, I'm glad I didn't buy that sack of feces, but MMA has grown on me. That card on the Silva v The Oregonian Nightmare evening was one of the best overall nights of fighting I have ever seen. You just don't get cards like that in boxing, unfortunately.

I still prefer to watch two men boxing rather than looking like they are trying fuck each other in the ass.
SmartyBeardo
QUOTE (The CEO @ Aug 29 2010, 10:45 AM) *
Sorry about that, Beardo....I just reread the thread and caught where you asked me...I was gettin' a lot of PMs and was all over the place...you happened to slip through the cracks...

No problem. I could smell the skunk clear up here in the Great Pacific Northwest. Seeing that shit would have made me uncomfortable anyway, since I resemble a lighter skinned version of the beached whale rolling around out there last night.
Run and Gun Game Calls
The thing that most stands out from last night is...My prediction was exactly right. Toney is the better boxer, by worlds, but Randy couture is the better fighter.

He beat james up before he submitted him. It wasnt like he took him down and choked him out only. He took james down. Got full Mount, landed some nice shots from there. Then got toney pinned against the cage in a sitting type of position, and pounded him upside the head. then applied the choke that left toney waving his hand in the air yelling i quit,

It was a complete domination.

I still love to watch an "in shape" Toney box. But he has no business in a MMA ring.

Toney = all time great boxer Couture = all time great fighter
JLUVBABY
QUOTE (Warlord @ Aug 29 2010, 08:54 AM) *
I don't think the UFC ever billed it as "MMA vs. boxing." I think that was done by a bunch of gay-ass fans and media outlets. But I'm glad to see guys finally starting to realize the obvious, that these are two entirely different sports and should be treated as such. (That last statement was not directed at you personally.)

thats all they talked about last night during the lead up to and after the fight... mma vs boxing... but thats not what last night was... when you think about it it would be hard to actually make an mma vs boxing fight.. is half the ring square and the other half half of the octagon?... what would the rules consist of?... boxer fights by his rules and mma guy by his?... how about round minutes and how many rounds?... lol... my point is they are obviously 2 different sports... both deserving its individual respect... the same way toney got man handled last night coture would get dominated by toney in a boxing ring...
SmartyBeardo
QUOTE (JLUVBABY @ Aug 29 2010, 01:01 PM) *
thats all they talked about last night during the lead up to and after the fight... mma vs boxing... but thats not what last night was... when you think about it it would be hard to actually make an mma vs boxing fight.. is half the ring square and the other half half of the octagon?... what would the rules consist of?... boxer fights by his rules and mma guy by his?... how about round minutes and how many rounds?... lol... my point is they are obviously 2 different sports... both deserving its individual respect... the same way toney got man handled last night coture would get dominated by toney in a boxing ring...

True, but I still must admit that I thought JT would acquit himself better than he did. Couture really was impressive. He did exactly what he had to do not to end up unconscious.

Couture is a freak of nature on the level of BHop.
HaydelHammer
I'm sure somebody showed toney how to sprawl ...fat ass was lazy.
Snoop
I didn't really expect Toney to win, just to have a better showing than a beached whale.
The Ollie Reed Fan Club
So I got around to finally making myself watch it. So that's a sport huh? I guess it is and different strokes for different folks and all that, but honestly it aint the most visually appealing thing to watch, 2 guys rolling around on the floor with each other.

I seriously hope Toney doesn't go back for seconds. What would be the point? It's only made me believe more that if boxing were to run itself as professionally as the UFC runs its cards it would shit all over MMA. I'm not trying to diminish Couture's win, good for him, and I know a lot of dudes on these boards like MMA, but honestly I think it blows.

All I guess we can surmize is that they really are 2 very very different sports and James should probably not bother to compete in either anymore.

And quickly to Lil LightsOut, dude I know how you feel, growing up James was my favourite fighter as well. Watching he and Tyson as a kid is what got me into the sport. Think of the good days and although he's underachieved James has still had more good nights than bad. He is a first ballot hall of famer and one of the best to lace them up, wear your sig with pride, it's an honour to be a fellow Toney fan with you drinks.gif
Fitz
QUOTE (The Ollie Reed Fan Club @ Aug 30 2010, 01:43 PM) *
So I got around to finally making myself watch it. So that's a sport huh? I guess it is and different strokes for different folks and all that, but honestly it aint the most visually appealing thing to watch, 2 guys rolling around on the floor with each other.

I have admitted that while I don't hate MMA, it just doesn't do it for me like boxing does and I just don't get the feeling and into it like I do with boxing, but I don't think it's fair to judge the sport on that. I don't find it entertaining when guys are rolling (though I respect it, and see what they are trying to do), though I don't think a fight like that gives a full picture of the sport. I seen some entertaining fights where they have strikes, kicks, elbows and just a good ground and pound.

I suppose it's like seeing a Hatton or Ruiz fight and then saying "so that's the sport huh? Different strokes for different folks". A Hatton or Ruiz fight isn't a good example to use to describe what boxing is about and what people love about the sport for entertainment value, they would probably use a Pacquiao-Marquez fight for that, just like I am sure they wouldn't use a style that we saw between Couture-Toney as an example of what people find great about the sport.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.