Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: ward vs. dirrell
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
JLUVBABY
just read this article....

Ward-Dirrell for WBC belt too

The WBC Board of Governors voted unanimously to name Mikkel Kessler Champion Emeritus and Ambassador of Good Will, due to his accomplishments inside and outside the ring, after he sustained an injury, which will keep him inactive for a long period of time. The WBC also conducted a voting procedure to determine how the title would be filled and by a majority voting, the WBC Board of Governors accepted to sanction the fight between number 1 and mandatory challenger Andre Dirrell versus Andre Ward for the WBC championship to be held on September 25 (although it is certain to be postponed).

The fight between former champion Carl Froch and Arthur Abraham, which will be contested on October the 2nd, will be sanctioned as a final elimination bout and the winner of both fights must fight each other.

What kind of B.S is this?.. lol... Ward beats kessler and is awarded a belt if he wins lower than kessler?... lol.... just dont sound right to me... whats you guys thoughts on this?
SmartyBeardo
QUOTE (JLUVBABY @ Sep 6 2010, 09:18 PM) *
just read this article....

Ward-Dirrell for WBC belt too

The WBC Board of Governors voted unanimously to name Mikkel Kessler Champion Emeritus and Ambassador of Good Will, due to his accomplishments inside and outside the ring, after he sustained an injury, which will keep him inactive for a long period of time. The WBC also conducted a voting procedure to determine how the title would be filled and by a majority voting, the WBC Board of Governors accepted to sanction the fight between number 1 and mandatory challenger Andre Dirrell versus Andre Ward for the WBC championship to be held on September 25 (although it is certain to be postponed).

The fight between former champion Carl Froch and Arthur Abraham, which will be contested on October the 2nd, will be sanctioned as a final elimination bout and the winner of both fights must fight each other.

What kind of B.S is this?.. lol... Ward beats kessler and is awarded a belt if he wins lower than kessler?... lol.... just dont sound right to me... whats you guys thoughts on this?

Sounds like a dumptruck load of crap. And further undermining of the Super Six.
D-MARV
I'm confused here... Im not sure what the problem is. I think this is a fair ruling. Ward won the WBA strap from Kessler and Kessler has since won the WBC title.
SmartyBeardo
QUOTE (D-MARV @ Sep 6 2010, 11:40 PM) *
I'm confused here... Im not sure what the problem is. I think this is a fair ruling. Ward won the WBA strap from Kessler and Kessler has since won the WBC title.

Champion Emeritus? I didn't read any further.

You are right DMarv. What they did makes sense. Maybe Dirrell and Ward will do more than slow dance.

I stand corrected.
Mean Mister Mustard
I don't care about what strap the winner gets around his waist just as long as Direll and Ward fight.
sweetchuck
Sounds to me like the WBC is trying to double down on the sanctioning fees. They can charge sanctioning fees on the Ward-Dirrell fight and then on the Froch-Abraham fight. Brilliant for the fair sanctioning body that will applaud the Texas Commission for licensing Margarito and no longer sanction fights in Arizona due to their immigration law.
JLUVBABY
QUOTE (sweetchuck @ Sep 7 2010, 01:10 AM) *
Sounds to me like the WBC is trying to double down on the sanctioning fees. They can charge sanctioning fees on the Ward-Dirrell fight and then on the Froch-Abraham fight. Brilliant for the fair sanctioning body that will applaud the Texas Commission for licensing Margarito and no longer sanction fights in Arizona due to their immigration law.

hey hey sweet chuck... we not gonna discuss the texas ruling... its making it possible for me to go to another pac fight.. lol....
sweetchuck
I don't care as much about the Texas ruling as I do the WBC. Really, they have Pacquaio and Margarito fighting for their title when Pacquiao has not held a WBC title since being a lightweight and has never fought 154 against Margarito who has fought mostly as a welterweight. WBC is not giving the best fighters in the divisions chances to fight for the vaccant titles, they are going for the guys who can give the most sanctioning fees. Hence the doubling down. They are just like the IBO or IBA or other second rated sanctioning bodies.
JLUVBABY
QUOTE (sweetchuck @ Sep 7 2010, 01:11 PM) *
I don't care as much about the Texas ruling as I do the WBC. Really, they have Pacquaio and Margarito fighting for their title when Pacquiao has not held a WBC title since being a lightweight and has never fought 154 against Margarito who has fought mostly as a welterweight. WBC is not giving the best fighters in the divisions chances to fight for the vaccant titles, they are going for the guys who can give the most sanctioning fees. Hence the doubling down. They are just like the IBO or IBA or other second rated sanctioning bodies.

valid points... and very true..
neophyte7
these overrated hype jobs are friends. this fight will be boring. Both of them are chinny... Ward beats up on Green and I heart people comparing him to Hopkins LMAO.. Dirrell LMAO he faked death to keep from facing the raging Abraham LMAO.. comp is weak so I guess these are the best right now.. honestly i am not impressed by either
SmartyBeardo
What is going on with this fight?
caneman
Whatever on the belts but the super six crap is taking way too long IMO! It seems like it's been going on for years and we ain't seen but a few fights! I was thinking it was a great idea but we should be over with already. BOTTON LINE IS THE ABC'S OF THE WORLD ARE JOKES AND FIGHTERS FIGHT FOR THE BELTS...NO WONDER IT'S ALL SCREWED UP HUH????
SmartyBeardo
The Super Six format is dead. Never made sense for boxing. The single elim 4 man format is far better. It may actually get dudes fighting a bit more frequently. Every weight class should go for it. What really makes sense is the fights being the same night. Easier to compare performances etc.
caneman
QUOTE (SmartyBeardo @ Sep 19 2010, 03:59 PM) *
The Super Six format is dead. Never made sense for boxing. The single elim 4 man format is far better. It may actually get dudes fighting a bit more frequently. Every weight class should go for it. What really makes sense is the fights being the same night. Easier to compare performances etc.

I have to agree, the middleweight tourney was way better IMO!
Fitz
QUOTE (caneman @ Sep 20 2010, 06:49 AM) *
Whatever on the belts but the super six crap is taking way too long IMO! It seems like it's been going on for years and we ain't seen but a few fights! I was thinking it was a great idea but we should be over with already. BOTTON LINE IS THE ABC'S OF THE WORLD ARE JOKES AND FIGHTERS FIGHT FOR THE BELTS...NO WONDER IT'S ALL SCREWED UP HUH????

I never understood this logic. What is the tournament holding up. The tournament started on October 2009, so it's been running less than a year and we had two fights in the tournament which is about right with how often fighters fight these days.
We had Kessler, Abraham, Ward, Dirrell and Froch fight one another. What would have happened if this was not a tournament? Would we have had these guys fight the quality they are fighting back to back, or without the tournament, would we have had a few soft touches after one big fight?
I honestly don't know what the rush is, or exactly what it's holding up. The only thing it's holding up is maybe a fight with Bute later, other than that, nothing is being held up and the best at 168 are fighting each other.
Other than Bute, in terms of 168, if the tournament was to end now, what would you like to see happen at 168 that isn't happening now? I'm assuming you do not want to see a fight between Abraham, Ward, Dirrell and Froch because that is the issue, it's taking too long. So if the tournament is to end now. What next, that doesn't involve those guys together?
If all of those fights happened and not under a tournament, they would be getting credit for fighting the top guys at 168 and we would be happy that they are fighting each other. It's not as if we have Ward in a tournament with some other second tier guys, and then have Dirrell and Abraham not in it, and the tournament is holding up some key fights at 168. The key fights at 168 are with the guys in the tournament (other than Bute), so I literally don't understand what the complaints are about. As I don't think the tournament is holding much back in the division.
JLUVBABY
QUOTE (Fitz @ Sep 19 2010, 06:04 PM) *
I never understood this logic. What is the tournament holding up. The tournament started on October 2009, so it's been running less than a year and we had two fights in the tournament which is about right with how often fighters fight these days.
We had Kessler, Abraham, Ward, Dirrell and Froch fight one another. What would have happened if this was not a tournament? Would we have had these guys fight the quality they are fighting back to back, or without the tournament, would we have had a few soft touches after one big fight?
I honestly don't know what the rush is, or exactly what it's holding up. The only thing it's holding up is maybe a fight with Bute later, other than that, nothing is being held up and the best at 168 are fighting each other.
Other than Bute, in terms of 168, if the tournament was to end now, what would you like to see happen at 168 that isn't happening now? I'm assuming you do not want to see a fight between Abraham, Ward, Dirrell and Froch because that is the issue, it's taking too long. So if the tournament is to end now. What next, that doesn't involve those guys together?
If all of those fights happened and not under a tournament, they would be getting credit for fighting the top guys at 168 and we would be happy that they are fighting each other. It's not as if we have Ward in a tournament with some other second tier guys, and then have Dirrell and Abraham not in it, and the tournament is holding up some key fights at 168. The key fights at 168 are with the guys in the tournament (other than Bute), so I literally don't understand what the complaints are about. As I don't think the tournament is holding much back in the division.

damn good points young fitzgerald...
gravytrain
QUOTE (SmartyBeardo @ Sep 19 2010, 03:21 PM) *
What is going on with this fight?

The fight is postponed, Showtime however did the smart thing and threatened legal action if the fight isn't made in a timely fashion .

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.