Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Roy Jones vs. Danny Santiago
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
Lil-lightsout
So what do you think of this? To be honest, I do not mind Seeing Roy fight this caliber of opponent. I sure miss the prime Roy and if he wants to give his local fans a fight like this, why not? Heck, if I was closer I would sure check it out. Sure it means nothing and all, but it is his choice to continue to fight, better then some fighters that are in their primes and hardly ever fight. Not sure if it's televised or not. Hope it's not PPV, I still never watched a second of the Hopkins-Jones rematch.
Spyder
Makes sense.

I've been to Santiago's gym a few times...he seems like a nice guy, but he's lost every time I've seen him fight.
King Eugene
Just hope its free......which I doubt!
Lil-lightsout
Sorry... October 7.

It would be nice if it was free, I mean Jones-Santiago PPV just makes zero sense.

There is a reason Santiago is his opponent, lol.

I just hope Roy does not get all cocky afterwards and proclaiming himself to be back and looking for the big dogs. It be a pleasant surprise to see a modest realistic Roy Jones speak after the fight.

Kellerman- So how did you feel in there tonight Roy?

Jones- I felt pretty good, not what I once was, but good enough to beat this type of opponent.

Kellerman- Is this it for you now?

Jones- Nahhh. I still got a few more fights in me, but I need to be realistic who I am in there with.

Kellerman- So no more hallucinations of beating say a Lennox Lewis or a Wladamir Klitscko?

Jones- Oh definitely not those dudes. Did you see what Tarver, G. Johnson, and Green did to me? Shit... even that Calslappy busted me up pretty good. I do not know what I was thinking...

Snoop
QUOTE (Lil-lightsout @ Sep 8 2010, 04:01 AM) *
Sorry... October 7.

It would be nice if it was free, I mean Jones-Santiago PPV just makes zero sense.

I just hope Roy does not get all cocky afterwards and proclaiming himself to be back and looking for the big dogs. It be a pleasant surprise to see a modest realistic Roy Jones speak after the fight.

Jones- I felt pretty good, not what I once was, but good enough to beat this type of opponent.

Jones- Nahhh. I still got a few more fights in me, but I need to be realistic who I am in there with.

Kellerman- So no more hallucinations of beating say a Lennox Lewis or a Wladamir Klitscko?

Jones- Oh definitely not those dudes. Did you see what Tarver, G. Johnson, and Green did to me? Shit... even that Calslappy busted me up pretty good. I do not know what I was thinking...

If Roy truly felt that way, I doubt he'd be fighting at all let alone on...Oct 7th? Isn't that a Thursday?
Lil-lightsout
QUOTE (Snoop @ Sep 8 2010, 12:08 AM) *
If Roy truly felt that way, I doubt he'd be fighting at all let alone on...Oct 7th? Isn't that a Thursday?

I know... I was kidding.

I thought I read Oct 2 first time I read it on fightnews.com. Then I reread it and it definitely says Oct. 7 now. Which is a thursday. That is kind of weird.
Snoop
QUOTE (Lil-lightsout @ Sep 8 2010, 05:16 AM) *
I know... I was kidding.

I thought I read Oct 2 first time I read it on fightnews.com. Then I reread it and it definitely says Oct. 7 now. Which is a thursday. That is kind of weird.

Wow. Has Roy been reduced to a Thursday night fighter?
Lil-lightsout
QUOTE (Snoop @ Sep 8 2010, 12:17 AM) *

And obviously Pensacola is the only place where he can sell tickets anymore, especially a fight of this magnitude. I even wonder if his hometown truly supports him anymore? Though as a huge fan, I would go.
The Ollie Reed Fan Club
QUOTE (Snoop @ Sep 8 2010, 12:17 AM) *

The sad thing is, even if it was on for free, I'd probably still have to consult my TV guide just in case something better was on laugh.gif
Snoop
QUOTE (The Ollie Reed Fan Club @ Sep 8 2010, 05:52 AM) *
The sad thing is, even if it was on for free, I'd probably still have to consult my TV guide just in case something better was on laugh.gif

LMAO. That's cold. Almost as cold as the other poster that said if Tito and Roy were fighting on his front lawn, he'd close the blinds and call the cops. laugh.gif
Lil-lightsout
QUOTE (Snoop @ Sep 8 2010, 12:58 AM) *
LMAO. That's cold. Almost as cold as the other poster that said if Tito and Roy were fighting on his front lawn, he'd close the blinds and call the cops. laugh.gif

wtf.gif

I went to that fight, around 5 years too late.

BigG
I'll watch and support Roy til the end...
King Eugene
QUOTE (Lil-lightsout @ Sep 8 2010, 12:01 AM) *
Sorry... October 7.

First off this bold would mean this fight is on HBO.

Secondly his ego will never let him talk with such modesty.
sweetchuck
This fight reminds me of McBride-Tyson...except that was on PPV. If Roy wins, we all know Roy will declare that he is on the road back, he'll step it up a little and then a little more and since Roy can fight against the lower competition he will get a few wins. Then he'll try to step up and lose. Maybe he needs to be out cold like against Glen Johnson and Tarver again to remind him he should step down. Ok, I know Byrd is mostly retired, but how about another 10 years too late fight between Roy and Byrd. Roy will go down as the better late than never fighter, he can rematch Toney as well.
SmartyBeardo
RJJ's just setting himself up to challenge the future heavyweight chump of the world, Fraudley Harrison.

Karma's workin' OT.
HaydelHammer

LMAO..that was cold. LOL.
alaganza

LOL!!! That's the way I felt about the fight. I wish I would have saved that comment for Hopkins Jones II. thumbsup_anim.gif

By the way I am almost to that point about Pac/Mayweather. But that's a different topic.
Snoop
QUOTE (alaganza @ Sep 8 2010, 04:54 PM) *
LOL!!! That's the way I felt about the fight. I wish I would have saved that comment for Hopkins Jones II. thumbsup_anim.gif

By the way I am almost to that point about Pac/Mayweather. But that's a different topic.

Haha. That was you wasn't it? Congrats to a P4P post that still lives on today. drinks.gif
KYLE THEEE SPINKS FAN
If Roy beats Santiago, then he'll claim that he's ready for the best. He'll scream up and down how he had a bad year of his life and that Jesus found him again, and that he's ready to be heavyweight champion of the world. He should be able to beat Santiago rather convincingly too. Unless something like the Danny Green fight happens, then he'll outclass him for 12 rounds.
alaganza
QUOTE (Snoop @ Sep 8 2010, 03:16 PM) *
Haha. That was you wasn't it? Congrats to a P4P post that still lives on today. drinks.gif

LOL. Thanks.

Is it just me or does anyone else watch Roy fights waiting for the knockout?
SmartyBeardo
QUOTE (alaganza @ Sep 8 2010, 06:21 PM) *
LOL. Thanks.

Is it just me or does anyone else watch Roy fights waiting for the knockout?

Here.
Mean Mister Mustard
Another bad thing is that when Jones is clearly dominating Santiago he will start showboating, which is something that a man who has been KO'd three times and equally mocked for 12 rounds against Calzaghe should never do.
Snoop
QUOTE (Mean Mister Mustard @ Sep 9 2010, 02:08 AM) *
Another bad thing is that when Jones is clearly dominating Santiago he will start showboating, which is something that a man who has been KO'd three times and equally mocked for 12 rounds against Calzaghe should never do.

laugh.gif Nicely put.
killer
brothers ?!
BrutalBodyShots
Roy just lost to a Danny via stoppage... might not be a great idea to take on another.
Bropho
good to see the fight in Jones backyard this time, Santiago got away with hitting behind the head when he knocked Roy out in Australia and karma is a mofo
Bropho
QUOTE (killer @ Sep 10 2010, 03:34 AM) *
brothers ?!

sisters ?!
Run and Gun Game Calls
As my favorite fighter continues to fall, i boycott the fight

I know it makes no difference to him, as like holyfield, he still believes he can compete at a championship level.

Whats really sad is who do we have to get excited about now?

PAcquio and floyd are both saying they will retire sooner rather than later.

And with Holyfield, Roy Jones, James Toney, Hopkins, hell even tarver all in their twilight, I fear boxing is headed into a bad era where not just the heavyweights suck.

Yes there are still very good fighters out there, but the personalities in boxing that sell it. Seems soon there will be a huge void to fill.

Hopefully i am wrong, i hope that this isnt going to be a slump for the sport
Fitz
QUOTE (Run and Gun Game Calls @ Sep 15 2010, 05:17 PM) *
As my favorite fighter continues to fall, i boycott the fight

I know it makes no difference to him, as like holyfield, he still believes he can compete at a championship level.

Whats really sad is who do we have to get excited about now?

PAcquio and floyd are both saying they will retire sooner rather than later.

And with Holyfield, Roy Jones, James Toney, Hopkins, hell even tarver all in their twilight, I fear boxing is headed into a bad era where not just the heavyweights suck.

Yes there are still very good fighters out there, but the personalities in boxing that sell it. Seems soon there will be a huge void to fill.

Hopefully i am wrong, i hope that this isnt going to be a slump for the sport

It feels like that now, but the media will always find someone to be the new star. Seriously, years ago when it was DLH clearly, who would have ever thought that Pacquiao would be this type of star when he was winning close fights with Marquez, who thought Mayweather would have been as big as he is? Someone will always pop up. I think boxing has some good fighters that aren't extremely old. Though I like the guys in the smaller classes.

• Gamboa
  • Lopez
  • Darchinyan
  • Berto
  • Andre Ward
  • Amir Khan
  • Tim Bradley
  • Devon Alexander

Just one good win like Martinez did as well will bring people out of no where.
The Ollie Reed Fan Club
QUOTE (Fitz @ Sep 15 2010, 05:51 AM) *
It feels like that now, but the media will always find someone to be the new star. Seriously, years ago when it was DLH clearly, who would have ever thought that Pacquiao would be this type of star when he was winning close fights with Marquez, who thought Mayweather would have been as big as he is? Someone will always pop up. I think boxing has some good fighters that aren't extremely old. Though I like the guys in the smaller classes.

• Gamboa
  • Lopez
  • Darchinyan
  • Berto
  • Andre Ward
  • Amir Khan
  • Tim Bradley
  • Devon Alexander

Just one good win like Martinez did as well will bring people out of no where.

Agreed, this seems to happen with every generation. I remember when Tyson went to prison, then what was boxing gonna do with Mike in the clink? The same with De la Hoya and now with Floyd and Manny. Every generation has enough fighters who have the potential to be superstars.

If I had a criticism with boxing it is the way it is being marketed. The actual product is good enough, but is it being bought to the market in the best possible way? It's a bit like the WWE. They decide who wins the belts and who they make stars. And once they make a certain wrestler a star they go about marketng him (or her.)

Now boxing is not (quite) that premeditated, despite the best efforts of the networks and promoters, but it could learn a thing or 2 from the WWE's and UFC's of the world about how to market fights.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.