Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Khan v Maidana December 11?
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
SmartyBeardo
I guess Khan's protection racket is over.

Man is it a beautiful day for boxing.
SmartyBeardo
QUOTE (Fitz @ Sep 9 2010, 10:31 AM) *
Maidana has a punchers chance and that is about it. Khan should school him otherwise. Maidana kind of sucks.

No doubt, he is not a great boxer. But Maidana is a tough competitor and I would watch him v anyone. I don't think his heart can be questioned.

Khan deserves credit for finally stepping in with a real brawler. He should definitely be favored but Maidana could rough him up. If Khan comes through this test impressively, he is ready for a go with the winner of Bradley v Alexander. But the same can be said for Maidana.

All good stuff.
D-MARV
Khan will beat the shit out of him. Khan TKO8
Hittman25
i agree maidana cant really box...but he can fight it should be a really good fight......if ne one is getting knocked out its khan.....khan ko's little bitches and maidiana isnt a bitch victor ortiz knocked maidana down three times ur lucky if khan knocks him down once.......if victor couldnt get ko marcos khan wont
Maxy
QUOTE (SmartyBeardo @ Sep 9 2010, 10:15 AM) *
No doubt, he is not a great boxer. But Maidana is a tough competitor and I would watch him v anyone. I don't think his heart can be questioned.

Khan deserves credit for finally stepping in with a real brawler. He should definitely be favored but Maidana could rough him up. If Khan comes through this test impressively, he is ready for a go with the winner of Bradley v Alexander. But the same can be said for Maidana.

All good stuff.

Now I'm no fan of Khan...quite the opposite, but this part I just don't get. I read similar quotes pretty often. Truth be told, he's a young champion and he's moving along. I don't see anyone, anywhere fighting the best competition fight after fight....

...So to take on Maidana who ain't great but has a proper punchers chance, at this stage, is a good fight but it ain't as if we've had to wait for Khan to mix with some quality opponents.

That said, I hope Maidana lands one flush.
SmartyBeardo
QUOTE (Maxy @ Sep 9 2010, 01:52 PM) *
Now I'm no fan of Khan...quite the opposite, but this part I just don't get. I read similar quotes pretty often. Truth be told, he's a young champion and he's moving along. I don't see anyone, anywhere fighting the best competition fight after fight....

...So to take on Maidana who ain't great but has a proper punchers chance, at this stage, is a good fight but it ain't as if we've had to wait for Khan to mix with some quality opponents.

You're right, Maxy, that was a poor choice of words. It would be as if I said it was about time that Alexander stepped up and fought Bradley.

I forget how young these guys are. I still think they have been protecting his chin for the last two years, but that is exactly what they should have been doing. And to their credit they are going after possibly the most dangerous 140 pounder for Khan.

Khan is a damned fine boxer, especially for his age. DMarv could be right. He may actually clean out the 140s. I will give him credit every step of the way, especially given he will be accomplishing it while protecting that pane of glass where a chin should be.

Even with all his flaws, I like Maidana. He is the classic over achiever.

But isn't it great what all these kids are doing? I honestly haven't got a negative opinion of any of these four young lions.

All I can say to them is thank you for giving me something real to look forward to in my favorite sport.
Maxy
Definitely mate, it's a good division with some quality fights and a fair few pick em's.

I've always been one of the first to slag Khan for his fragile chin having watched all of his fights and seen him get decked badly in his last amateur bout. Kid has skills though. I don't like the man, don't like his fans, but credit where credit is due....he's in the mix in an exciting weight class and he'll be involved in some top quality fights.

I hope he can beat Maidana...skill wise he should, but there's always that chance he'll be caught. Thing is, I really wanna see a Khan vs the winner of a Bradley-Alexander clash.

The sport loves this kinda competitiveness and shit man, it needs it.
SmartyBeardo
QUOTE (Maxy @ Sep 9 2010, 01:52 PM) *

QUOTE (Maxy @ Sep 9 2010, 03:21 PM) *
I hope he can beat Maidana...

If Maidana lands one flush, Khan has no hope.
BigG
Maidana is like the Welterweight Ricardo Mayorga...he's not as skilled as the other top fighters but he's really strong rough and tough....but I think Khan will outbox him to a UD...maybe getting knocked down once along the way.
Lil-lightsout
QUOTE (Fitz @ Sep 9 2010, 09:58 PM) *
Mayorga is much better. At least he was awkward and had some hand speed. Maidana isn't awkward, he is just ordinary with a big punch.

Got to slightly disagree with you there buddy. He is more than ordinary, I mean he got great resolve and determination in there. Most could have giving up against Ortiz, but he showed his toughness and desire to keep pushing forward and taking Ortiz' heart. That shows great character and will, which means so much in boxing. I also like the way he speaks on fighting the best out there, he is trying everything to get in there with Khan and to destroy him. I just do not think ordinary is a fair assessment of him, I think he's a little better than that.
SmartyBeardo
Maidana, the Rodney Dangerfield of boxing.
Lil-lightsout
QUOTE (Fitz @ Sep 9 2010, 10:44 PM) *
That's cool. I'm not denying that Maidana doesn't have heart, but some fighters like Mayorga, Margarito, Darchinyan or Hamed might look ordinary, but they have an x-factor about them. Whether it's awkward or non-stop work rate. I just don't see any x-factor in Maidana other than him having some power in his hand.
Also about the Ortiz fight, I'm not discrediting Maidana, he done what he had to do. But I think you are giving Maidana more credit, because I think that fight had more to do with Ortiz flat out quitting than Maidana forcing him to quit via beatdown. Ortiz basically took nothing in terms of a fighter quitting through a beating. He quit at the first moment of pressure. I think Ortiz deserves more criticism than Maidana deserved credit. That's just me though.

What about Wlad and Brewster I? You give the credit to Brewster or more criticism to Wlad? I think more credit to Brewster for taking Wlad's heart, and of course some criticism to Wlad. I guess it all matters how you look at it.

But I definitely see boxing flaws in Maidana, and a good boxer might be able to keep him at bay for all 12 rounds and out skill him. I just can not see Khan doing it, just cause of his chin.

I do completely see what you are saying man.
Fitz
QUOTE (Lil-lightsout @ Sep 10 2010, 12:57 PM) *
What about Wlad and Brewster I? You give the credit to Brewster or more criticism to Wlad? I think more credit to Brewster for taking Wlad's heart, and of course some criticism to Wlad. I guess it all matters how you look at it.

But I definitely see boxing flaws in Maidana, and a good boxer might be able to keep him at bay for all 12 rounds and out skill him. I just can not see Khan doing it, just cause of his chin.

I give credit to Brewster for that win, and I am giving credit to Maidana for the win as well over Ortiz. All I was saying is that what Ortiz did in that fight wasn't right, he flat out quit. He wasn't beaten into submission like Cotto did with Margarito after Margarito taking Cotto's best. That's all I was saying, Maidana didn't put a Margarito type of performance or even a Segura performance (if anybody say his fight with Calderon).
I also think Maidana may get some wins like the ones we were just talking about. I just don't think that much of him. Back on the Wlad-Brewster fight, I don't think Wlad quit like Ortiz did, I think the circumstances were different.
SmartyBeardo
QUOTE (Lil-lightsout @ Sep 9 2010, 10:57 PM) *

Dammit! DMarv proves me wrong again. LL takes Maidana.

That's it! I'm joining you LL. War Maidana!
Lil-lightsout
QUOTE (Fitz @ Sep 9 2010, 11:04 PM) *
I give credit to Brewster for that win, and I am giving credit to Maidana for the win as well over Ortiz. All I was saying is that what Ortiz did in that fight wasn't right, he flat out quit. He wasn't beaten into submission like Cotto did with Margarito after Margarito taking Cotto's best. That's all I was saying, Maidana didn't put a Margarito type of performance or even a Segura performance (if anybody say his fight with Calderon).
I also think Maidana may get some wins like the ones we were just talking about. I just don't think that much of him. Back on the Wlad-Brewster fight, I don't think Wlad quit like Ortiz did, I think the circumstances were different.

Wlad looked like he was hit by a truck, where Ortiz looked good to go on. Circumstances were different, I was just wondering your thoughts on that fight.
SmartyBeardo
QUOTE (Lil-lightsout @ Sep 9 2010, 11:09 PM) *
Wlad looked like he was hit by a truck, where Ortiz looked good to go on. Circumstances were different, I was just wondering your thoughts on that fight.

Hopefully Wlad is about to experience de ja vu all over again.
Lil-lightsout
QUOTE (SmartyBeardo @ Sep 9 2010, 11:18 PM) *
Hopefully Wlad is about to experience de ja vu all over again.

I am picking Wlad with my head. But man I hope you are right. If Peter is there mentally and comes to fight, no doubt with his raw power, he could make things interesting. I would not mind seeing a replay of Jeremy Williams type KO!!!
The Ollie Reed Fan Club
QUOTE (Lil-lightsout @ Sep 9 2010, 11:16 PM) *
I am picking Wlad with my head. But man I hope you are right. If Peter is there mentally and comes to fight, no doubt with his raw power, he could make things interesting. I would not mind seeing a replay of Jeremy Williams type KO!!!

LilLightsOut enough with the Peter jabba we've discussed this already. Now please go and wash your mouth out with soap. Need I remind you that it was this bufoon that derailed James' HW campaign? Somewhere in a buffet, far far away, James would be very disappointed to find out that he has you for a fan.
Lil-lightsout
QUOTE (The Ollie Reed Fan Club @ Sep 10 2010, 12:24 AM) *
LilLightsOut enough with the Peter jabba we've discussed this already. Now please go and wash your mouth out with soap. Need I remind you that it was this bufoon that derailed James' HW campaign? Somewhere in a buffet, far far away, James would be very disappointed to find out that he has you for a fan.

Sorry man. I guess I dislike Wlad even more and just want to see him KO'd again.

And my other angle is this... since Wlad Clitoris won't give Toney a shot, maybe if Peter wins HE will give James a third fight??? thumbsup_anim.gif

What you think of that?
The Ollie Reed Fan Club
QUOTE (Lil-lightsout @ Sep 9 2010, 11:29 PM) *
Sorry man. I guess I dislike Wlad even more and just want to see him KO'd again.

And my other angle is this... since Wlad Clitoris won't give Toney a shot, maybe if Peter wins HE will give James a third fight??? thumbsup_anim.gif

What you think of that?

I think no way does that goat herding, floral arranging, funky costume wearing tub of anus lard give James a 3rd fight. His pimp (Ivaylo) will argue that Sam is already 2 and 0, so why the need for a 3rd fight. Won't happen.

The dude is a disgrace to the profession. If he does win I'd like to see him give Tua a shot so David can launch that concrete block piece of shit head of his into outta space. You dig?
Lil-lightsout
QUOTE (The Ollie Reed Fan Club @ Sep 10 2010, 12:35 AM) *
I think no way does that goat herding, floral arranging, funky costume wearing tub of anus lard give James a 3rd fight. His pimp (Ivaylo) will argue that Sam is already 2 and 0, so why the need for a 3rd fight. Won't happen.

The dude is a disgrace to the profession. If he does win I'd like to see him give Tua a shot so David can launch that concrete block piece of shit head of his into outta space. You dig?

You never know. What's the chances of Toney getting a shot at Wlad? I am just so bored with Wlad right now and want a shake up, even if it's Peter who does it. You dig?

I like Tua a lot, and did not see his fight with Barrett, but seems he got some work to do.
PR316
I don't think Khan has the fortitude, phsyical or mental to win this fight.

He will be hit at some point. And I don't see him surviving when he does get hit.

Khan will be ahead after a few rounds but he'll get run down eventually.

Maidana TKO 8
SmartyBeardo
After viewing Kotelnik v Maidana, Khan and Alexander (repeatedly), IMO Maidana won the fight but it could have gone either way, Khan won a clear decision and Alexander was given a homer gift. Kotelnik is just a nightmare to deal with. Maidana damaged him worse than Khan or Alexander managed to. I would love to see what Rios could do with Kotelnik.

Maidana v Corley was a flat out no holds barred, head butting, low blow, rabbit punch, hit on the break and after the bell fest. It was not perty by any means but Maidana managed to pull it out. Yeah, Corley is little more than a journeyman at this point. Sure, Hernandez clocked him. But Corley through everything at Maidana and Maidana responded in kind and roughed up the old pro. Corley is one of those awkward guys who has been robbed a couple of times recently, but the Maidana fight was not one of those times.

Khan is a very skilled young boxer. I love the way he keeps his gloves high. He has decent power. He moves well. He is very quick. He is wise beyond his years in the ring due largely to The Little Roach.

Khan could catch Maidana cold (if they actually do meet). The problem with that is Maidana is one of those fighters who seem to get stronger after being knocked down. Khan will come in for the kill and quite likely get caught himself. If Khan does get caught, he will not respond the way Maidana does. It will become a war of attrition that Maidana will win, unless Khan can get him out of there early like he did with Salita. I can't see that happening but anything is possible.

Maidana's only chance is to take Khan into deep water and drown him. It is very unlikely that he can win a decision. Maidana and Khan have similar experience going into deep water. The differences are that Khan broke down a good boxer that was no threat power wise (Malignaggi) while Maidana wrestled with an anaconda (Corley), and Khan fought Kotelnik on home turf, while Maidana fought on enemy soil.

Many consider Maidana a mediocre fighter. Eventually you will probably be proven correct. He will most likely not be a HOFer or a GOAT. If Kotelnik had Maidana's power he might be an HOFer himself and he would have KOed Khan. Maidana is not the boxer that Kotelnik is though. But he has great heart and is rough and tough.

Whoever gets the W in this one will give the winner of Bradley v Alexander (Bradley IMO) all that he can handle and maybe more.

I think if Khan can have the discipline to stay away after he hurts Maidana, he will win a UD. If not he will end up in The Land of Twitch after being punished brutally.

Lil-lightsout
Nice write-up Beardo.
The Ollie Reed Fan Club
QUOTE (SmartyBeardo @ Sep 12 2010, 11:32 PM) *
I think if Khan can have the discipline to stay away after he hurts Maidana, he will win a UD. If not he will end up in The Land of Twitch after being punished brutally.

I think Roach will have instilled enough discipline in him to do just that. I think he is fundamentally sound enough and big enough to fight his way to a safety first UD.
Mean Mister Mustard
After viewing Kotelnik v Maidana, Khan and Alexander (repeatedly), IMO Maidana won the fight but it could have gone either way, Khan won a clear decision and Alexander was given a homer gift. Kotelnik is just a nightmare to deal with. Maidana damaged him worse than Khan or Alexander managed to. I would love to see what Rios could do with Kotelnik.

Maidana v Corley was a flat out no holds barred, head butting, low blow, rabbit punch, hit on the break and after the bell fest. It was not perty by any means but Maidana managed to pull it out. Yeah, Corley is little more than a journeyman at this point. Sure, Hernandez clocked him. But Corley through everything at Maidana and Maidana responded in kind and roughed up the old pro. Corley is one of those awkward guys who has been robbed a couple of times recently, but the Maidana fight was not one of those times.

Khan is a very skilled young boxer. I love the way he keeps his gloves high. He has decent power. He moves well. He is very quick. He is wise beyond his years in the ring due largely to The Little Roach.

Khan could catch Maidana cold (if they actually do meet). The problem with that is Maidana is one of those fighters who seem to get stronger after being knocked down. Khan will come in for the kill and quite likely get caught himself. If Khan does get caught, he will not respond the way Maidana does. It will become a war of attrition that Maidana will win, unless Khan can get him out of there early like he did with Salita. I can't see that happening but anything is possible.

Maidana's only chance is to take Khan into deep water and drown him. It is very unlikely that he can win a decision. Maidana and Khan have similar experience going into deep water. The differences are that Khan broke down a good boxer that was no threat power wise (Malignaggi) while Maidana wrestled with an anaconda (Corley), and Khan fought Kotelnik on home turf, while Maidana fought on enemy soil.

Many consider Maidana a mediocre fighter. Eventually you will probably be proven correct. He will most likely not be a HOFer or a GOAT. If Kotelnik had Maidana's power he might be an HOFer himself and he would have KOed Khan. Maidana is not the boxer that Kotelnik is though. But he has great heart and is rough and tough.

Whoever gets the W in this one will give the winner of Bradley v Alexander (Bradley IMO) all that he can handle and maybe more.

That was a good breakdown of some of the top guys at 140. I will say this: Roach is probably preparing Khan to fight a very economical and safe fight, with lots of movement, jabbing and holding. They will try and make it as boring as possible,
sweetscientist1

Alexander was given anything but a gift. Not only was Devon the busier fighter but he made more solid contact in dam near every round than Kotelnick did. I don't think it was even a controversial decision outside of all the hype Devon got and his mediocre outing. But even that was enough to beat this guy. Kotelnick stalked Alexander all night,kinda like the way ODLH stalked Mosely in fight 1 or like in the ODLH vs Mayweather fight. Yeah Kotelnick was the aggressor but he wasn't landing the cleaner shots. Devon was. So I think the whole Kotelnick thing is way over rated due to the real lack of true parody in this 140lb weight class. Yeah you've got a lot of talent there in that division but not only are none of those guys going to ever fight each other most are gonna want to move up to 147lbs so their purse bids don't come in like Alexander vs Bradley. No money, no honey!
PR316
I scratch my head at how many people swear Kotelnik was robbed against Devon. He wasn't...

He lost because he got outworked. Maybe he landed cleaner shots but they were too far few and between what Alexander was doing.

Be that as it may, it wasn't a great night for Devon.

But I have no doubt Alexander, Maidana, and Bradley all beat the fraud.

Khan fights like an amateur.. Scared to get hit and he doesn't have the heart and toughness to reign as champ.
HaydelHammer
Until he seeks revenge for this ass kicking...kahn gets no play in my ride.

SmartyBeardo
QUOTE (sweetscientist1 @ Sep 14 2010, 03:34 PM) *
Alexander was given anything but a gift. Not only was Devon the busier fighter but he made more solid contact in dam near every round than Kotelnick did. I don't think it was even a controversial decision outside of all the hype Devon got and his mediocre outing. But even that was enough to beat this guy. Kotelnick stalked Alexander all night,kinda like the way ODLH stalked Mosely in fight 1 or like in the ODLH vs Mayweather fight. Yeah Kotelnick was the aggressor but he wasn't landing the cleaner shots. Devon was. So I think the whole Kotelnick thing is way over rated due to the real lack of true parody in this 140lb weight class. Yeah you've got a lot of talent there in that division but not only are none of those guys going to ever fight each other most are gonna want to move up to 147lbs so their purse bids don't come in like Alexander vs Bradley. No money, no honey!

Unequivocally disagree. Alexander was only busier missing completely and hitting Kotelnik's gloves. Kotelnik was more economical, accurate and damaging. And it wasn't a "mediocre outing" for Alexander. He was exposed by a superior boxer.

I can't even begin to understand where you are coming from with your comments about the 140 weight class. You suggest that parity does not exist in the division. Therefore, "the whole Kotelnik thing" (whatever it may be) is way overrated. Yet in the next sentence you admit that the division has "got a lot of talent" while simultaneously claiming that the talent is never going to fight each other and in the same sentence use as evidence of your claims the fact that two of the highest rated fighters in the division are fighting each other for what you consider not much money.

News flash- the other two highest rated fighters in the division are fighting each other on December 11.

WTF are you talking about?
SmartyBeardo
QUOTE (PR316 @ Sep 15 2010, 12:30 PM) *
But I have no doubt Alexander, Maidana, and Bradley all beat the fraud.

Khan fights like an amateur.. Scared to get hit and he doesn't have the heart and toughness to reign as champ.

I guess we will find out come December 11.

Khan most certainly does not fight like an amateur. Last I checked the point of boxing was to hit your opponent and avoid being hit. I think his heart and toughness are still question marks. Maidana should provide the answers.
KYLE THEEE SPINKS FAN
No way Khan loses to Maidana. Maidana was just given hell by Chop Chop Corley (as i called), and was stunned by him pretty good from what I read. Corley is still a good fighter, but on the real, he's not on Khan's level. Khan is taller and has a really nice jab. That's all you need to know about the fight. Maidana will be on the outside the whole fight trying to find a way inside to get some big wide shots off. Khan will keep him at bay with the jab and once Maidana gets wild, which will be in round one, Khan will make him pay. I don't think he'll hit him with huge counters until the fourth round or so, but Khan will land some huge straight right hands in between those wide shots. Maidana's a fun fighter to watch, and he'll never stop trying. He's outgunned here completely though. Khan TKO 7.
Fitz
Maidana sucks. If Khan protects his chin, he is going to beat the shit out of him.
SmartyBeardo
Maidana is not Malignaggi or Kotelnik. If he lands what either of those two did, we will find out alot about Khan's suspect chin.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.