Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Fighter of the Year
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
D-MARV
It's kind of hard to say at this point.

I think if Martinez signs and beats Paul Williams then it's his to win. You also have to take Pascal into consideration if he defeats Hopkins ( How sad would that be?).

Some others to consider would be Wladimir Klitschko, Juan Manuel Lopez, and Fernando Montiel. Who would you guys pick?
Hittman25
Sergio Martinez would have to get it if he beats paul willliAMS IN A REMATCH......i cant think of ne one else that would deserve it more.......to go from a journey man to middleweight champion of the world is the biggest leap to star power.....juan manuel lopez might have a chance but no one has been put through the hoops more than martinez He didnt get proper judging on the cintron and williams fight and if he could get that bitch pwill to fight him again he will show who the top middleweight is
Mean Mister Mustard
This is a very good question. I think the Ring did an article about this a couple of weeks back. They were lamenting the fact that so far there has not been a fighter who has accomplished all that much this year. If Martinez beats Williams he could be the one. same thing goes for Montiel if he fights and beats Donaire. So far this year has been lackluster, and I am left to wonder how easily Pacquiao or Mayweather could have taken the honors if they would have fought more than 1 or two times a year. Remember back in 2007 how we had 3 candidates who could have easily been FOTY?
BigG
Whoever wins Rafael Marquez vs Juan Ma Lopez for me
Mean Mister Mustard
QUOTE (BigG @ Sep 14 2010, 11:14 AM) *
Whoever wins Rafael Marquez vs Juan Ma Lopez for me

I don't know that if Rafael Marquez beats JML he would be FOTY, especially if Martinez beats Williams or if Montiel beats Donaire. He would be a candidate though, and would probably win Comeback of the Year.
thehype
Mean Mister Mustard
QUOTE (thehype @ Sep 14 2010, 11:54 AM) *

lol. Well if he beats Margarito up pretty good he could be considered, although Ring Magazine already said he wouldn't get the award.
Spyder
Mabuhay Bitches.
Spyder
JonnyBlaze
Andre Ward if he beats Dirrell,which I think he will or Wlad. Klitchko might be my picks..Dirrell/Ward is the fight I've been most excited for since the tourney began..I had been hoping this fight would happen and we're real close..
thehype
QUOTE (Mean Mister Mustard @ Sep 14 2010, 11:02 AM) *
lol. Well if he beats Margarito up pretty good he could be considered, although Ring Magazine already said he wouldn't get the award.

Fuck Ring Magazine! What the fuck do they know anyway?

MABUHAY MUDDASUCKA!

salvador
Maybe there should be 2 awards for fighter of the year, one for "fighter of the year" and one for "probably roided up fighter of the year". Because if Pacquiao, who got knocked out twice at 112, actually beats Margarito, then I don't give a fuck about what the little girls at "Ring Magazine" think, Pac would DEFINITELY be the only pick for "probably roided up fighter of the year".

Lil-lightsout
QUOTE (D-MARV @ Sep 14 2010, 09:58 AM) *
It's kind of hard to say at this point.

I think if Martinez signs and beats Paul Williams then it's his to win. You also have to take Pascal into consideration if he defeats Hopkins ( How sad would that be?).

Some others to consider would be Wladimir Klitschko, Juan Manuel Lopez, and Fernando Montiel. Who would you guys pick?

Martinez has only had 1 fight this year, a win against Pavlik. And Pascal also only has one win against Dawson. Sure both of them can get 1 more good win in by years end, but it still only makes two fights in the year. To me I do not think either of them should get it if they both win. You would think there are more out there with more wins than just two?

I would have to think about it more who should get it, but IMO neither of those two did enough this year. I will give you my pic later.
D-MARV
QUOTE (Lil-lightsout @ Sep 14 2010, 08:23 PM) *
Martinez has only had 1 fight this year, a win against Pavlik. And Pascal also only has one win against Dawson. Sure both of them can get 1 more good win in by years end, but it still only makes two fights in the year. To me I do not think either of them should get it if they both win. You would think there are more out there with more wins than just two?

I would have to think about it more who should get it, but IMO neither of those two did enough this year. I will give you my pic later.

Manny Pacquiao, Floyd Mayweather, Ricky Hatton and even you're boy James Toney received "fighter of the year" with just two fights so you're argument doesn't really hold much water. If you can come up with other fighters who you would choose over these prospects (of course if they fight again this year) then be my guest.

I think wins over both Dawson and Hopkins would warrant some consideration on Pascal's behalf as well as wins over Pavlik and Williams. But there still some time left in the year for guys like Montiel and Klitschko to solidify the stance.
Lil-lightsout
QUOTE (D-MARV @ Sep 14 2010, 08:59 PM) *
Manny Pacquiao, Floyd Mayweather, Ricky Hatton and even you're boy James Toney received "fighter of the year" with just two fights so you're argument doesn't really hold much water. If you can come up with other fighters who you would choose over these prospects (of course if they fight again this year) then be my guest.

I think wins over both Dawson and Hopkins would warrant some consideration on Pascal's behalf as well as wins over Pavlik and Williams. But there still some time left in the year for guys like Montiel and Klitschko to solidify the stance.

Well I guess not then, lol. If I can not come up with anyone else and both Pascal and Martinez both win, I would favor Pascal for sure for more quality wins. I just figured there would be someone more worthy with more than 2 wins.

D-MARV
QUOTE (Lil-lightsout @ Sep 14 2010, 09:11 PM) *
Well I guess not then, lol. If I can not come up with anyone else and both Pascal and Martinez both win, I would favor Pascal for sure for more quality wins. I just figured there would be someone more worthy with more than 2 wins.

Ii totally agree with you by the way. I think it's sad that fighters can fight twice in one year and still get the award.
SmartyBeardo
If Maidana actually meets and beats Khan, he would warrant consideration.

If The Mexican Cocktail defeats QuackMeow, he will be considered (still a toilet log by me).

If Katsidis defeats JMM, he should be on the list.

If Y. Gamboa can get by another credible opponent I think he would have to be considered with 4 wins. Depends on the fourth though.
Fitz
QUOTE (SmartyBeardo @ Sep 15 2010, 04:29 PM) *
If Maidana actually meets and beats Khan, he would warrant consideration.

If The Mexican Cocktail defeats QuackMeow, he will be considered (still a toilet log by me).

If Katsidis defeats JMM, he should be on the list.

If Y. Gamboa can get by another credible opponent I think he would have to be considered with 4 wins. Depends on the fourth though.

Good ones. I also liked the Katsidis mention which I think is a good one. His other win was when he went over to the UK to fight against an undefeated prospect in Kevin Mitchell, where he was the slight underdog. He stopped him early. While I'm not sure how Mitchell will turn out as a fighter, but he was regarded as a decent guy with potential and an undefeated record. I think venturing into the unknown is underrated, it can be mentally testing when going into unknown territory. Kind of like Douglas beating Tyson, Calzaghe beating Lacy, and Tszyu beating Judah. The feeling for Tyson and Judah being undefeated was pretty strong and intimidating. Sure it's different fighting them later when you seen them through those times, but when you go into unknown territory, I think if a fighter over comes that and wins in good fashion, they deserve credit for showing mental toughness and not folding like some guys did before them.
The Ollie Reed Fan Club
Why is no-one picking Floyd? He demolished Mosley.

And am I the only one not sold on Martinez? Yeah the guy has had a couple of great last fights, I concede that and was pumped when he beat Jim Beam Pavlik, but I think Floyd makes him look silly if ever they were to fight.
Fitz
QUOTE (The Ollie Reed Fan Club @ Sep 15 2010, 09:04 PM) *
Why is no-one picking Floyd? He demolished Mosley.

And am I the only one not sold on Martinez? Yeah the guy has had a couple of great last fights, I concede that and was pumped when he beat Jim Beam Pavlik, but I think Floyd makes him look silly if ever they were to fight.

One fight just doesn't cut it.
lloyd mayflower
QUOTE (Fitz @ Sep 15 2010, 02:18 PM) *

Correct, fighter of the year implies that the guy has done some fighting throughout the year, if you want to put Floyd v Mosley in for fight of the year to give Floyd credit for his performance fair enough, but for fighter of the year id say its only fair to look for guys who have fought at VERY least twice, preferably 3 or 4 times, and really raised their game throughout the year, maybe came through a hard battle in amongst it, etc. Floyds whole year has been about talkin shit sbout Manny with a sum total of 36 minutes worth of action sandwiched in there.
Lil-lightsout
QUOTE (D-MARV @ Sep 14 2010, 09:26 PM) *
Ii totally agree with you by the way. I think it's sad that fighters can fight twice in one year and still get the award.

I don't know, maybe I would give the edge to Gamboa if you twisted my arm? He has had three solid wins this year, and maybe he will fight once more this year?

Man it is sad how little fighters fight these days. What is crazy to me a boxing career can end at any moment, and there is money to be made, but so many fighters for all sorts of reasons stay idle too long. It just would be nice somehow to get some top fighters to be more active.
KYLE THEEE SPINKS FAN
I would throw Andre Dirrell in the mix if he could beat Ward before the year is done. He beat Abraham earlier in the year, when not too many were giving him a shot. If he beats another top fighter like Andre Ward, that would warrant getting the award to me. I don't punish him for fighting only twice this year because that seems a bit outside his control right now. If Chavez Jr. were to somehow beat Cotto in December (if they fight), I would throw him in there too. Pacquiao won't get the award. If I had to throw another fighter out there, it would be Juan Manual Lopez for sure. If he beats Marquez, he will have had a solid year, that really nobody compares to. He would have beaten Marquez, a decent contender in Concepcion, and a solid featherweight titleholder in Luevano. That's a damn good year.
Fitz
Nice choices Kyle. I think sometimes the smaller guys get overlooked, just because they aren't beating these 'marquee' names. A lot of fighters that don't get the recognition are just as good as the marquee names.
SmartyBeardo
Pascal should definitely be in the mix if he defeats BHop.

Ditto Segura if he defends before the end of the year.

What about BHop? No love? crazy.gif
thehype
QUOTE (Fitz @ Sep 15 2010, 08:18 AM) *

Agreed...ALTHOUGH...if Shane would have beat Floyd and that was his only fight, I wouldn't have argued about giving it to him.

laugh.gif
Fitz
QUOTE (thehype @ Sep 17 2010, 03:05 AM) *
Agreed...ALTHOUGH...if Shane would have beat Floyd and that was his only fight, I wouldn't have argued about giving it to him.

laugh.gif

lol. That said, I think Mayweather would be a solid win from being fighter of the year as the way he beat Mosley did impress me. I just can't see a guy with one fight do it.
Fighter of the year is still up for grabs for many fighters, nobody has it clearly at this stage.
JD
If Dirrell were to beat Ward, that would be two 0's he took from two highly regarded fighters.

That merits consideration.
SmartyBeardo
QUOTE (JD @ Sep 16 2010, 05:16 PM) *
If Dirrell were to beat Ward, that would be two 0's he took from two highly regarded fighters.

That merits consideration.

As long as he doesn't pull the raggedy-andy doll routine.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.