Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Bantam 4 man single elim tourney?
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
SmartyBeardo
I'd prefer double elim, but WTF, this could be setting a great precedent. Wouldn't it be great if Khan v Maidana and Alexander v Bradley fought on the same night.

Oh yeah, Khan v Maidana will be fighting on the same night as the Bantam tourney first round.

I think boxing is finally starting to get its shit together.
blackbelt2003
Great little tournament...more of this is needed.

It's a shame they couldn't have gone the whole hog and made it a Super Six, thrown in Fernando Montiel and Anselmo Moreno and we would have finished up with an undisputed champion.

I pick Perez to win, and then I hope Perez-Montiel gets made!

Black
SmartyBeardo
QUOTE (blackbelt2003 @ Sep 17 2010, 05:35 AM) *
Great little tournament...more of this is needed.

It's a shame they couldn't have gone the whole hog and made it a Super Six, thrown in Fernando Montiel and Anselmo Moreno and we would have finished up with an undisputed champion.

I pick Perez to win, and then I hope Perez-Montiel gets made!

Black

I suppose that is the argument for single elim; quick and clean, then move on. The super six format just does not work for boxing. With the 4 man single elim we will have a champ by the middle of 2011 who can then meet Montiel before the end of the year.

Quick, clean, less moving parts. I like it.

blackbelt2003
QUOTE (SmartyBeardo @ Sep 17 2010, 01:54 PM) *
I suppose that is the argument for single elim; quick and clean, then move on. The super six format just does not work for boxing. With the 4 man single elim we will have a champ by the middle of 2011 who can then meet Montiel before the end of the year.

Quick, clean, less moving parts. I like it.

Yeah, but without the 'Six' format we wouldn't have had Froch-Kessler or Abraham-Froch, both of which were/could be the highlight of the series. If the fighters are evenly matched enough, why wouldn't you want it to go on a bit longer?

Black
Jack 1000
I am so excited for this tournament!

Boxing should have something like this in EACH AND EVERY DIVISION! Determine the best fighters fighting the best fights. Surprisingly, the alphabet federations have been for the most part cooperative. If you look at this Bantamweight thing, it is so great, because all of the fighters have the potential to give us great action. Not too much tactical stuff here! Most of the time, the little guys make for the most exciting fights!

This sets an example for ALL of boxing to follow.

Jack
SmartyBeardo
QUOTE (blackbelt2003 @ Sep 17 2010, 01:04 PM) *
Yeah, but without the 'Six' format we wouldn't have had Froch-Kessler or Abraham-Froch, both of which were/could be the highlight of the series. If the fighters are evenly matched enough, why wouldn't you want it to go on a bit longer?

Black

Come on, Black, the Super Six is a disaster. It just does not make sense. This isn't the World Cup. Boxing does not lend itself well to a round robin format.

4 man single elim is quick and relevant. After it is finished it can be repeated with new challengers. Hopefully, we are seeing a 4 man tourney coming together at 140. 135 would be another great 4 man elim class.
BigG
I'd like to see Gerry Penalosa part of that somehow...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.