Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: The Fighter
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
Fitz
Never really heard about this, but I'm interested in seeing it now, for obvious reasons. Anybody hear about this? Or what kind of expectations to expect?

stateofthegame
I knew it was being made, but did not know when it would come out. It looks good based on the trailer.
Mean Mister Mustard
The trailer looks a bit cheesy, like they are trying to make this into a big epic, but then again that's mostly the point of movie trailers. Initially Darren Arnofky was set to direct the movie but then he dropped out of the project, perhaps because he felt it had too many parallels to The Wrestler.

Did anyone notice that Bale dropped a ton of weight again? Will those crazy diets of his end up costing him in the long run?
lloyd mayflower
Looks not bad, and more imprtantly, ample retribution for every fuckin chick flick iv ever had to sit through.
Snoop
QUOTE (Mean Mister Mustard @ Sep 18 2010, 04:08 PM) *
The trailer looks a bit cheesy, like they are trying to make this into a big epic, but then again that's mostly the point of movie trailers. Initially Darren Arnofky was set to direct the movie but then he dropped out of the project, perhaps because he felt it had too many parallels to The Wrestler.

I thought "The Wrestler" and "The Fighter" had some sort of ties together i.e. same producer, director, etc. Is this not the case?

Did anyone notice that Bale dropped a ton of weight again? Will those crazy diets of his end up costing him in the long run?

Dude, I didn't even know that was Bale until I saw his name in the credits. But actors gain and lose weight all the time. I don't think it'll affect his life too much. It isn't like success in his industry is dependent on his physicality, not like Ricky Hatton or anything.
ROLL DEEP
I think it looks pretty good!

Let's just hope the boxing isn't too cheesy in it. I hate that in films.
ROLL DEEP
QUOTE (SmartyBeardo @ Sep 18 2010, 11:07 AM) *
On a side note, does this movie push certain racial, cultural, political and economic class hot buttons?

Yes it does. I can't believe they used a black boxer to show him getting his ass whooped. RACIST!

kidbazooka1
My thing is Ward was a good fighter but never great im sure he has a story but so do most great fighters. Why Ward why not someone who was a more accomplished boxer?

Mean Mister Mustard
QUOTE (Snoop @ Sep 18 2010, 12:01 PM) *
I thought "The Wrestler" and "The Fighter" had some sort of ties together i.e. same producer, director, etc. Is this not the case?

Dude, I didn't even know that was Bale until I saw his name in the credits. But actors gain and lose weight all the time. I don't think it'll affect his life too much. It isn't like success in his industry is dependent on his physicality, not like Ricky Hatton or anything.

I don't know about that link Snoop.

Regarding Bale's weight: I think it might affect him despite not being an athlete. The guy drops ridiculous amounts of weight, and it's not just fat he's shedding.
gravytrain
QUOTE (kidbazooka1 @ Sep 18 2010, 04:27 PM) *
My thing is Ward was a good fighter but never great im sure he has a story but so do most great fighters. Why Ward why not someone who was a more accomplished boxer?

I'd really like a SRR, Tyson, or Liston movie. Ward? I can't complain, I can't say I ever though they'd be making a movie about Micky Ward though.
Snoop
QUOTE (kidbazooka1 @ Sep 18 2010, 09:27 PM) *

Since race seems to be the theme of the month, it's because he's a white guy.
Fitz
QUOTE (Snoop @ Sep 19 2010, 09:11 AM) *
Since race seems to be the theme of the month, it's because he's a white guy.

That's racist. Why does it have to be because he is a white guy? Because you don't associate white people with boxing and generally boxing have guys with hard luck stories, with a bad upbringing? White people can't have hard luck stories? Is that what makes this story, because a white guy isn't usually in tough times? Why does it have to be because he is a white guy? Why not just a guy? Racist, people are going to be up in arms about this.

laugh.gif
Method
It's about Ward because Marc Walburg is spearheading the project and he's a white boy boxing fan from Boston. If he was black, they'd probably be making it about Hags.

I agree that there are awesome stories to be told about guys in the sport, probably more so than Ward, but I have no problem with one being made about Ward.
Snoop
QUOTE (Fitz @ Sep 18 2010, 11:17 PM) *
That's racist. Why does it have to be because he is a white guy? Because you don't associate white people with boxing and generally boxing have guys with hard luck stories, with a bad upbringing? White people can't have hard luck stories? Is that what makes this story, because a white guy isn't usually in tough times? Why does it have to be because he is a white guy? Why not just a guy? Racist, people are going to be up in arms about this.

laugh.gif

laugh.gif

I was 80% joking and 20% serious.

20% for what Smarty said. More people will go see a movie when the protagonist looks like them. Not necessarily racist, just a business decision.
Lil-lightsout
Just off the top of my head of boxing movies where the main character/fighter is white.

Gladiator
Rocky 1-6
Raging Bull
The Hammer?(i think that's the name)
the one with William Dafoe

I am sure there is more.

The only one without a white main character is that flick Girlfight with that spanish chick Michelle Rodriguez. Though this is just me thinking right now. I am sure there are many more movies, I just can not think of any but these.
The Ollie Reed Fan Club
QUOTE (Lil-lightsout @ Sep 18 2010, 11:13 PM) *
Just off the top of my head of boxing movies where the main character/fighter is white.

Gladiator
Rocky 1-6
Raging Bull

I am sure there is more.

The only one without a white main character is that flick Girlfight with that spanish chick Michelle Rodriguez. Though this is just me thinking right now. I am sure there are many more movies, I just can not think of any but these.

The Cinderella man.
kidbazooka1
Unlike most people that will watch the movie I know who and what Ward was in boxing and i was never impressed. I didn't dislike the guy but wasn't a fan either. I won't pay for the movie(until it comes out on RedBox for a buck that is thumbsup_anim.gif )but not because he's white but because i know what he was and what the wasn't in boxing.

Gatti would have been a better story IMO but we might get that a little down the road.
Snoop
QUOTE (Lil-lightsout @ Sep 19 2010, 05:13 AM) *

Gladiator
Rocky 1-6
Raging Bull

I am sure there is more.

Girlfight is actually one of my favorite boxing movies. Another one is "Against the Ropes", but too bad that movie sucked.
Method
Streets of Gold was a great boxing movie. Wesley Snipes...and some white boy...about a white boy.
Maxy
I never saw Streets of Gold. Will have to check it out.
Method
One of the best I've seen. Its old.
SmartyBeardo
QUOTE (kidbazooka1 @ Sep 19 2010, 02:03 AM) *
Unlike most people that will watch the movie I know who and what Ward was in boxing and i was never impressed. I didn't dislike the guy but wasn't a fan either. I won't pay for the movie(until it comes out on RedBox for a buck that is thumbsup_anim.gif )but not because he's white but because i know what he was and what the wasn't in boxing.

Gatti would have been a better story IMO but we might get that a little down the road.

I agree (especially with the Gatti part).
SmartyBeardo
QUOTE (The Ollie Reed Fan Club @ Sep 18 2010, 11:41 PM) *
The Cinderella man.

That was a damn good flick.
SmartyBeardo
QUOTE (Lil-lightsout @ Sep 18 2010, 11:13 PM) *

You weren't actually THAT drunk last night, were you LL?

Will Smith and Jamie Fox ring any bells?

Sorry about the bells if you have a hangover.
Lil-lightsout
QUOTE (SmartyBeardo @ Sep 19 2010, 01:20 PM) *
You weren't actually THAT drunk last night, were you LL.

Will Smith and Jamie Fox ring any bells?

Sorry about the bells if you have a hangover.

laugh.gif

No I was not drunk, lol. I do not know how that slipped me?

Your post made me think of LL Cool J "Rock the Bells".
The Ollie Reed Fan Club
I also liked Play it to the Bone. I thought the scenes in that film were half decent.

Then there was the Great White Hype. I love Irish Terry Conklin in that, damn funny. Paul Newman in Somebody up There likes Me.

Raging Bull and Rocky 3 would be my personal favourites.

What was that film based on the life of Jackie Kallen starring Meg Ryan? Anyways it was shit.
Snoop
QUOTE (The Ollie Reed Fan Club @ Sep 20 2010, 06:40 AM) *
I also liked Play it to the Bone. I thought the scenes in that film were half decent.

I remember Play It to the Bone. All the punches sounded like gunshots.

Then there was the Great White Hype. I love Irish Terry Conklin in that, damn funny. Paul Newman in Somebody up There likes Me.

That movie was fucking great. And truthfully, they were making a statement about race with that one. laugh.gif

Raging Bull and Rocky 3 would be my personal favourites.

Raging Bull is a fucking classic. My favorite Rocky would be between 3 and 4.

What was that film based on the life of Jackie Kallen starring Meg Ryan? Anyways it was shit.

That was "Against the Ropes" and yeah, it sucked.
STEVENSKI
QUOTE (gravytrain @ Sep 19 2010, 08:57 AM) *
I'd really like a SRR, Tyson, or Liston movie. Ward? I can't complain, I can't say I ever though they'd be making a movie about Micky Ward though.

They already made one about Liston (Ving Rahms is SL) & one about Tyson. Ward is perfect fodder for a movie. Because he is a battler & from mean streets he makes a good story. Add in one of the most epic trilogy's in boxing & you have a winner.
Spyder
QUOTE (Mean Mister Mustard @ Sep 18 2010, 11:08 AM) *

I wish Arnofsky would've stayed on the project. It seems too much like a Disney flick now based on the trailer.
JonnyBlaze
QUOTE (kidbazooka1 @ Sep 18 2010, 03:27 PM) *

I know a lot about Ward from reading his book..He has a bizarre story andd crazy story especially when adding his brother in the mix..I'm real glad they decided to do this movie and I'm really looking forward to it..Ward is one of my all time favorites..Most people think Ward in the Gatti fights was Ward at his best but Ward had some serious skill in his early career..
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.