Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: A Force put on the grill
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
STEVENSKI
This guy takes it to Fraudley

Round 1
ROB BEASLEY: You are the luckiest boxer in the world to have this world title shot against David Haye, aren't you? There's no way you deserve it.

AUDLEY HARRISON: You're right, I maybe don't deserve it. But to go from where I was in my life, in my career, to where I am now - on the brink of being world champion - is a reward for a lot of hard work and determination.

I've had to triumph over a lot of adversity to get there, so how can anyone begrudge me this shot at the title? Remember, I'm not any average Joe, I'm not Audley the baker's son getting this chance from nowhere. I'm Audley Harrison, Olympic gold medallist, Audley Harrison, a European champion.

SCORECARD: Beasley's opening round.

Round 2
RB: After winning Olympic gold in 2000 you said you would soon be heavyweight champion of the world. How do you explain away 10 wasted years?

AH: I honestly felt in my heart and soul that I could go on to be world champion and by 2004-05 I was convinced I could become the undisputed No 1. But now I see that it just wasn't my time and I realise I wasn't ready to be the next Lennox Lewis. I know now that you can't have what you want until you are ready to take it.

SCORECARD: Beasley on top again.

Round 3
RB: You were ready to take 1million from the BBC, though, but they didn't get value for money, did they?

AH: No, you're wrong. The BBC did get value for money. That was a fair market value at the time, especially as it was a sports entertainment contract.

And when you look at the money BBC presenters get, like Jonathan Ross on a 12m deal, the Beeb definitely got me on the cheap because I was getting better viewing figures than any of their presenters or entertainers.

SCORECARD: Harrison on a loser again.

Round 4
RB: No, you are the one who's wrong, this is boxing. It's about winning, it's about realising your potential and achieving your goals - you're mixing it up with entertainment!

AH: I was winning, I was realising my potential. I was 19 and 0. In 2004 Ring magazine, the bible of boxing, hailed me as the future of the heavyweight division, so obviously my career was going in the right direction. But all of a sudden my career took a fall. My relationship with the BBC soured and went from one where they were supporting me to one where they were fighting with me. It ended up with me losing my deal and that was the biggest blow I have suffered in my entire career.

SCORECARD: Harrison starting to fight back but still Beasley's round.

Round 5
RB: Surely it had everything to do with what you were NOT doing in the ring? You weren't fighting anyone of any consequence, that's why people started calling you FRAUDley and AUDinary!

AH: That's another total misconception. Be realistic, will you? I had an exclusive contract with the BBC and all the other major heavyweights like Danny Williams, Matt Skelton, Michael Sprott and Julius Francis were contracted exclusively to Sky, so that's why I couldn't fight any of them. But I fought the best of the bunch that were available.

SCORECARD: Even round.

Round 6
RB: Unfortunately, though, you became a bit of a joke figure and it got to you, didn't it?

AH: I had to keep telling myself that people's perception is not reality. But, yes, it was tough and I really had to look at myself hard. I told myself I was not a bad guy, that it wasn't true that I was just in it for the money. I realised I had been kicked off the pathway but I had to find a way back.

SCORECARD: Even round.

Round 7
RB: But you went from being a winner to being a loser, a quitter even.

AH: I have been beaten but I have never quit, not in the ring. The one time I surrendered in my career was just before I fought Danny Williams for the first time. I compromised my principles, gave up on my own way of working towards my dream because I was so desperate to get a shot at the world title and it just wasn't happening. I'd been beaten down by the politics of professional boxing. I capitulated and tried it someone else's way, tried a different route to where I wanted to be and that proved to be the second biggest setback of my career.

SCORECARD: Beasley hits a nerve.

Round 8
RB: If you surrender on one level in boxing, albeit out of the ring, surely it then makes it easier for you to surrender inside the ropes too. Isn't that what happened with the first Williams fight?

AH: Two days before that fight I wanted to pull out because I knew I wasn't going to perform. I had lost my focus, my confidence, my belief.

But the street fighter inside me wouldn't let me - I had to go out there and give it a shot. But it was the raw Audley from the street out there, not Audley Harrison, Olympic champion. I had made a big mistake and for the first time in my life I had lost my passion for boxing. But my motivation is back as strong as ever now, just you watch.

SCORECARD: Audley on the ropes.

Round 9
RB: Your story so far is full of great successes and abject failures, of huge potential but massive under-achievement. Are you fit to be champion of the world?

AH: Yes I am and nobody will savour becoming it more than me. I have never given up no matter what has hit me along the way. I remember reading Steven Spielberg had a 1,000 scripts rejected before he finally got a film deal and I took inspiration from that.

I believe I can be a beacon of light to others who are facing difficulties in life, who fear that there's no way ahead for them. They can look at me and take inspiration because when I win in Manchester on November 13 it will be the greatest comeback in boxing history - and one of the greatest in all sport.

SCORECARD: Harrison beginning to motor.

Round 10
RB: That's laying it on a bit thick, isn't it?

AH: Listen, everyone thought I was washed up. You don't get offers to do Celebrity Big Brother, I'm A Celebrity Get Me Out Of Here, Strictly Come Dancing, if you are at the height of your career.

I refused them all, though, because I knew I wasn't finished. Then out of the blue there was an offer that gave me a way back. Prizefighter. Five years ago, you wouldn't have found me anywhere near something like that, I had too much pride and ego. But now I have my ego in check and realised this was the chance I was waiting for... and the rest is history. I won Prizefighter, I became European champion and now I have a shot at the world title - and I'm going to win it.

SCORECARD: Another round for Audley.

Round 11
RB: What do you think when David Haye says he's going to retire you in the ring and then come and visit you in hospital afterwards?

AH: David Haye is where I was five years ago. His ego is running out of control and he thinks he is invincible. He's so wrong. He's thinking it is the David Haye show when he is just a bit-part in my great story, my journey to becoming world champion.

I am going to do him a favour - I am going to beat him up but I am doing it out of love and compassion for him because I know he needs it. I know all the people around him want him to lose too because he has become such a jerk, they just can't tell him that. But I can.

And I know David Haye is not prepared to go where he'll need to go to beat me, to retire me. Because I'm prepared to put everything in - there's no November 14 for me, it's all about the 13th and he'll have to be Superman to cope with me.

SCORECARD: Harrison finishing strong.

Round 12
RB: Will this be the greatest triumph of your career?

AH: No, that will always be the Olympic gold medal. That will never be eclipsed because that was so pure - not tainted, not poisoned by the skulduggery of professional boxing. I didn't just win that medal for me, I won it for my country and for British boxing.

When I win the world title it will only be for me. It will be the end of my personal journey, the final chapter in an amazing story. That's why I'm telling you, on November 13 Fraudley and Audinary are going to do something truly extraordinary.

SCORECARD: Audley's a knockout!
SENTRAL
Audley sees himself as a great hollywood movie in the future and his self belief, although unfounded, certainly has to be admired.

Haye KO 2.
gravytrain
"I've had to triumph over a lot of adversity to get there, so how can anyone begrudge me this shot at the title? Remember, I'm not any average Joe, I'm not Audley the baker's son getting this chance from nowhere. I'm Audley Harrison, Olympic gold medallist, Audley Harrison, a European champion."

More like "I'm Audley Harrison, Haye was too scared to fight Wlad or Vitali."

Didn't Haye come out and go on a rant about the Harrison fight being a rumor? So much for that lol.
STEVENSKI
Rob Beasley is vicious. He is like a nastier version of a extremely drunk Merchant.
KYLE THEEE SPINKS FAN
Wow, Harrison actually showed a lot of class during that interview. If I were a professional fighter, there is no way I would let somebody like that talk to me in that way. That was out of line and super disrespectful imo. There's a difference between asking tough questions and just being a total dick. The fighter does not have to take time out to answer questions from secondary media outlets or fans who are going to be like that. Unless he's doing it as a joke or the fighter knows it's all in good fun, then I don't agree with that. Just my opinion though.
King Eugene
QUOTE (KYLE THEEE SPINKS FAN @ Sep 20 2010, 08:13 PM) *
Wow, Harrison actually showed a lot of class during that interview. If I were a professional fighter, there is no way I would let somebody like that talk to me in that way. That was out of line and super disrespectful imo. There's a difference between asking tough questions and just being a total dick. The fighter does not have to take time out to answer questions from secondary media outlets or fans who are going to be like that. Unless he's doing it as a joke or the fighter knows it's all in good fun, then I don't agree with that. Just my opinion though.

Yea I was thinking the same thing. Had he asked to be interviewed it would have been a different story but handled it with pure class.
STEVENSKI
I thought this was the most telling quote.

RB: Will this be the greatest triumph of your career?

AH: No, that will always be the Olympic gold medal. That will never be eclipsed because that was so pure - not tainted, not poisoned by the skulduggery of professional boxing. I didn't just win that medal for me, I won it for my country and for British boxing.

That is the truth right there.
Warlord
Audley Harrizon you iz da man. Da best british boxer since Danny Williamz. David Gaye iz goin 2 b decaptiated wiv da shot heard round da world.

Westside...
ROLL DEEP
Yeah, fair play to Audley for keeping his cool.

He's been saying the same story for years and years now. He's said the same thing so many times it's well and truely embedded in his head and he believes it.
The Ollie Reed Fan Club
Audley was cool, calm and collected, the way a world champion should be. That Rob Boozley is lucky Audley didn't put his head through a table.
STEVENSKI
QUOTE (The Ollie Reed Fan Club @ Sep 21 2010, 07:29 PM) *
Audley was cool, calm and collected, the way a world champion should be. That Rob Boozley is lucky Audley didn't put his head through a table.

I can't believe the way some of you are defending Audley. He is not a world champion unless you count a world champion bust. He has beat no one of note yet he has lost 4 times to journeyman at best competition.

This writer is just saying what the world thinks. Audley you have achieved nothing of note in your entire professional career.

You are lucky to get a shot for having done nothing.
You have wasted 10 years.
You did take a million quid from the BBC & delivered nothing entertaining.

I'm not saying this guy was not harsh like Merchant Crown & Coke harsh but he is asking the questions we as boxing fans want asked. Props to Audley for handling it in a dignified manner but the fact is that RB was asking the hard questions we want answered.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.