Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Who said boxing was dead?
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
mrwigi
I live in the D.C, Maryland, and Virginia area, and this is not a boxing city. Rarely when there are big fights do so see them in the local paper. I found it quite interesting to open a paper yesterday morning, look in the sports section, and see an article about the super flyweight title. I think the thing that stood out the most to me was the fact that both fighters were not american. One fighter Tomas Rojas was from mexico, and the other Kohei Kono was from japan. The fight took place in mexico. To see something like this in my local paper gives me hope that boxing is making a resurgence. Who knows where the sport may go with more quality fights. Below is the article. SOrry about the size and quality. I have it on my computer and im trying to figure out how to put it on FH.

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=7129...p;ref=fbx_album

Warlord
I agree wit u, Mr. Miyagi. Boxing iz goin 2 a whole new level, starting Novermber da 13th, when Audley Harrizon spuds dat bum David Gaye be4 a live audience, and millionz around da world.

Westside....
Warlord
QUOTE (SmartyBeardo @ Sep 22 2010, 09:33 AM) *
Laying down nuthin' but da A-Train truth, Conductor.

Westside....
Lil-lightsout
Who'd a thunk A-force would be responsible for the biggest enemies on FH to becoming buddies, lol? That's bigger than any accomplishment thus far in his pro career.
thehype
QUOTE (Lil-lightsout @ Sep 22 2010, 10:14 PM) *
Who'd a thunk A-force would be responsible for the biggest enemies on FH to becoming buddies, lol? That's bigger than any accomplishment thus far in his pro career.

laugh.gif
King Eugene
QUOTE (Lil-lightsout @ Sep 22 2010, 10:14 PM) *

LMAO...I swear I was thinking the same thing as I was scrolling down. This is Monumental! Please save Warlords sig in archives somewhere.
ROLL DEEP
I wonder if Audley knows the good he has done outside of boxing....? laugh.gif

I think boxing has been issued a shot of life n the UK here the last few weeks. We've had Frank Warrens 'Magnificent 7' boxing card in Birmingham last week that a few people have been speaking to me about and the Haye/Harrison fight that has been on Radio One and prime time breakfast shows and things , so at the moment it's looking good!
JonnyBlaze
Not dead,just not as alive as most of us would like..In the 90s and early 2000s I could say I was a real fan of a lot of fighters where as today I have a hand full..hahaha..Guys like Andre Ward,Robert Guerrero,and of course Holyfield..I will always be a huge fan of Holy until he retires from boxing at the age of 100 and retires as the oldest man to retire while holding onto the heavyweight belt..
PR316
Not as dead as many claim it to be.

There are still great match ups and the big fight pay per views still rake in good numbers.
JD
Boxing is in fact dying right now.

And it does not need to worry about another sport killing it...everything is self inflicted.
ROLL DEEP
QUOTE (JD @ Sep 23 2010, 10:08 AM) *
Boxing is in fact dying right now.

And it does not need to worry about another sport killing it...everything is self inflicted.

cray.gif

I agree.

Whilst I don't think it's 'dead' it's certainly not alive and kicking either.

In the UK, we've had the two biggest names, Calzaghe and Hatton, both drive the sport into the dark depths of drug abuse. We have the vast majority of the public who know a lot more about MMA then they do about boxing. In the national papers, boxing fans are lucky to have a small, text only article in the bottom of the back pages which is normally a few lines only. Boxing is never on terrestrial TV and hardly ever on in pubs.

It's HARD WORK being a boxing fan in England. We have to search and search for fight information. Trying to follow English fighters is damn near impossible as there is no exposure of them.

Like I said, boxing isn't dead.....yet. We've got a brief spell of publicity at the moment with the Haye/Harrison fight, but other than that, it's not looking brilliant.

BigG
Boxing may not be as famous in the USA (exception of Pacman and Mayweather) but it's big here in the Philippines (bigger than MMA)..and its huge everywhere else in the world, especially in European countries like UK and Germany.

I personally think Boxing is GREAT right now.
Maxy
QUOTE (ROLL DEEP @ Sep 23 2010, 10:26 AM) *
cray.gif

I agree.

Whilst I don't think it's 'dead' it's certainly not alive and kicking either.

In the UK, we've had the two biggest names, Calzaghe and Hatton, both drive the sport into the dark depths of drug abuse. We have the vast majority of the public who know a lot more about MMA then they do about boxing. In the national papers, boxing fans are lucky to have a small, text only article in the bottom of the back pages which is normally a few lines only. Boxing is never on terrestrial TV and hardly ever on in pubs.

It's HARD WORK being a boxing fan in England. We have to search and search for fight information. Trying to follow English fighters is damn near impossible as there is no exposure of them.

Like I said, boxing isn't dead.....yet. We've got a brief spell of publicity at the moment with the Haye/Harrison fight, but other than that, it's not looking brilliant.

I don't know Roll, I think we are heading into a boom time over here. Although the days of terrestrial tele showing boxing have long since passed, we do get far more boxing (albeit on Sky) than we have ever had before. And I mean ever. It was wrong of Sky to make last weekends show PPV but I think it must mean they are getting large viewing figures for their non-pay shows to even consider making that last one PPV.

We've got plenty of solid prospects on the up, an all-British heavyweight title fight (yeah, us hardcore fans mock it but it heightens the profile of the sport to the majority) and a couple of world champions...plus Ricky Burns...

Hatton (his fans were just footy fans who liked the bloke) was already retired, as was Calzaghe, and he was Welsh anyway and the only people who liked him were either Welsh or stupid...

Olympic Gold medalist James Degale is riding high (nah, I don't think he's all that) and his ring persona is turning him into a love hate figure...always good for the sport. George Groves, who would kick Degales arse IMO, Nathan Cleverly (welsh but like-able), Kell Brook who could be in line to face Pac (unlikely but) and many more decent up and coming fighters.

I agree, you have search it out and you have to be a sky subscriber to see the boxing but at least these days we get to see a lot of the overseas fights as well. Steve Bunce does a radio show once a week which is always good...um...yeah, I'm remaining positive about the sport over here.

The demise of Setanta was a big blow though, a massive blow.

Yeah, big fights that should happen by rights, not happening, for whatever pathetic reason they don't happen (Floyd, Haye take note), kick the sport in the bollocks but despite it being a dry time right now I'm always gonna remain optimistic that the future will be brighter.

If it's dying in America I wouldn't know...but all it will take is one fighter from that massive nation to re-ignite the sport in the eyes of those who have become disenchanted.
lloyd mayflower
QUOTE (Maxy @ Sep 23 2010, 07:30 PM) *
I don't know Roll, I think we are heading into a boom time over here. Although the days of terrestrial tele showing boxing have long since passed, we do get far more boxing (albeit on Sky) than we have ever had before. And I mean ever. It was wrong of Sky to make last weekends show PPV but I think it must mean they are getting large viewing figures for their non-pay shows to even consider making that last one PPV.

We've got plenty of solid prospects on the up, an all-British heavyweight title fight (yeah, us hardcore fans mock it but it heightens the profile of the sport to the majority) and a couple of world champions...plus Ricky Burns...
Hatton (his fans were just footy fans who liked the bloke) was already retired, as was Calzaghe, and he was Welsh anyway and the only people who liked him were either Welsh or stupid...

Olympic Gold medalist James Degale is riding high (nah, I don't think he's all that) and his ring persona is turning him into a love hate figure...always good for the sport. George Groves, who would kick Degales arse IMO, Nathan Cleverly (welsh but like-able), Kell Brook who could be in line to face Pac (unlikely but) and many more decent up and coming fighters.

I agree, you have search it out and you have to be a sky subscriber to see the boxing but at least these days we get to see a lot of the overseas fights as well. Steve Bunce does a radio show once a week which is always good...um...yeah, I'm remaining positive about the sport over here.

The demise of Setanta was a big blow though, a massive blow.

Yeah, big fights that should happen by rights, not happening, for whatever pathetic reason they don't happen (Floyd, Haye take note), kick the sport in the bollocks but despite it being a dry time right now I'm always gonna remain optimistic that the future will be brighter.

If it's dying in America I wouldn't know...but all it will take is one fighter from that massive nation to re-ignite the sport in the eyes of those who have become disenchanted.

thumbsdown_anim.gif thumbsdown_anim.gif thumbsdown_anim.gif

The Celtic contingent have to go some to please you ya English bastard!!!!

Just kiddin, I'm torn betweent he statements of yourself and Roll. I see signs of life in boxing like you say, but like Roll says, the level of exposure is fucking bullshit. No one talks about boxing except real fans. No casual interest. Iv said it loads of times before, being a boxing fan over here is like your own little dirty secret. Personally I blame the BBC as much as anyone. I grudge paying a license fee just to pay Jonathon fucking Ross's wages, or fund the outrageous (albeit quite funny) capers that those lucky top gear bastards get up to, or worst of all, Formula FUCKING ONE!?!?!?!?

Look at the guys that are at or around or even trying to get that big break at world stage in British boxing, Froch, Burns, Cleverly, Haye, Brook, Mitchell, prospects like Groves, Degale, how many of these guys can the average sports fan tell you about? These guys are out there providing entertainment in a sport that used to be massive here. Now our national TV network wont even mention whats happening to these guys for 30 seconds in the sports news. Seriously, when did you last here boxing reported anywhere apart from SKY. Its a fucking disgrace

ROLL DEEP
QUOTE (lloyd mayflower @ Sep 23 2010, 02:37 PM) *
thumbsdown_anim.gif thumbsdown_anim.gif thumbsdown_anim.gif

The Celtic contingent have to go some to please you ya English bastard!!!!

Just kiddin, I'm torn betweent he statements of yourself and Roll. I see signs of life in boxing like you say, but like Roll says, the level of exposure is fucking bullshit. No one talks about boxing except real fans. No casual interest. Iv said it loads of times before, being a boxing fan over here is like your own little dirty secret. Personally I blame the BBC as much as anyone. I grudge paying a license fee just to pay Jonathon fucking Ross's wages, or fund the outrageous (albeit quite funny) capers that those lucky top gear bastards get up to, or worst of all, Formula FUCKING ONE!?!?!?!?

Look at the guys that are at or around or even trying to get that big break at world stage in British boxing, Froch, Burns, Cleverly, Haye, Brook, Mitchell, prospects like Groves, Degale, how many of these guys can the average sports fan tell you about? These guys are out there providing entertainment in a sport that used to be massive here. Now our national TV network wont even mention whats happening to these guys for 30 seconds in the sports news. Seriously, when did you last here boxing reported anywhere apart from SKY. Its a fucking disgrace

That's what I mean....I understand what you are saying Maxy, we do have a lot of up and coming prospects like you have mentioned, but I get frustrated when the only person I can speak to about boxing is my brother and maybe one or two lads at my kickboxing gym,

My friends have no fucking idea about boxers. When I start a topic up I'm usually greeted by the 'do you remember Naz?' or the even worse 'have you seen that MMA? It's brutal isn't it?'.....

So yeah, we do have some good boxers on the up rise, but the exposure and Joe Public interest isn't around by me cray.gif

gravytrain
People have been saying boxing is dead ever since boxing has been a legitimate sport. People thought boxing died when Dempsey retired, when Louis retired, when Ali retired, people thought it's dead in the 1950s and that's during the "golden age" of boxing. Boxing has always been "dying". In fact, read articles of boxing from any era and there will be critics saying it's a dying sport. Not only were there critics, there's also a decline in popularity.

Is boxing dead right now? No, it just operates differently than all other sports. Boxing has one goal and that's to make money for both the promoter and fighter and that money and attention is usually focused towards one fighter. I'd say the same thing that happened to baseball happened to boxing; attention shifted primarily to the NFL and NBA. However, history has shown that anytime there's a fighter that crosses into the mainstream they can generate a lot of money and interests in themselves[still happening today] so I'd say boxing is doing the same thing it's been doing for the past 70+ years.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.