Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: If Pac and Mayweather does not happen
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
Run and Gun Game Calls
If the fight never happens and floyd doesnt fight again (due to legal problems). and pac retires after his upcoming bout. (assuming he wins and wins big)

Who will be remembered as this generations greatest fighter.

I used to think it was an easy question to answer in floyd mayweather, but now im not so sure. Even though he does have 0 losses, to me mayweathers body of work is less impressive than manny's. And him refusing to make the fight when both he and manny were in their primes, is a strike against floyd to me.

So if manny wins his next fight, and wins it impressivly, where do you rank him and floyd in this generation if neither fighter ever laces them up again
gravytrain
Is Pacquiao going to be out of his prime after the Margarito fight? I think they'll make the fight and settle it. Currently I'd say Pacquiao would be considered the better fighter.

lloyd mayflower
People on sites like this will always be divided because of the pure boxing skill of Floyd, and some of the catchweight antics of Pac. Various other factors too like who ducked who etc. We will argue about it for years, the casual fan on the other hand will be very clear and very sure about the fact that Manny is the best.
Run and Gun Game Calls
So lloyd your saying that most who follow the sport closely will always be divided, and casual fans will consider pac greater for the most part? I kinda agree with that.

I do think mayweather is the best defensive fighter of his generation. Manny is the best at what he does as well. Would have made for one hell of a fight.

We can all have opinions on who would have won, but ya never really know till they step into that ring.

Floyd reminds me alot of James Toney, except James would fight a buzz saw, Not nearly and careful in his fight picks as floyd. But their styles are alot alike and like Toney ( wouldnt stay in shape) Mayweather is wasting precious time that could build upon his legacy

lloyd mayflower
QUOTE (Run and Gun Game Calls @ Sep 24 2010, 09:25 AM) *
So lloyd your saying that most who follow the sport closely will always be divided, and casual fans will consider pac greater for the most part? I kinda agree with that.

I do think mayweather is the best defensive fighter of his generation. Manny is the best at what he does as well. Would have made for one hell of a fight.

We can all have opinions on who would have won, but ya never really know till they step into that ring.

Floyd reminds me alot of James Toney, except James would fight a buzz saw, Not nearly and careful in his fight picks as floyd. But their styles are alot alike and like Toney ( wouldnt stay in shape) Mayweather is wasting precious time that could build upon his legacy

Exactly. The way he destroyed Hatton for one, and Cotto, and De la Hoya.

We will sit here and say, yeah but Hatton was shot, Cotto and De la Hoya were drained. The casual fan will say, Holy Shit! did you see what that Manny Pacquiao guy did to Oscar and Cotto and Hatton!!! Which it has to be said, is indicative of a job well done by Bob "Antichrist" Arum
JonnyBlaze
I don't think casual fans will side with Pac-man..I know a lot of casual fans who would say Floyd is greater..

In my opinion,I'd say Pac-man is greater overall..
JonnyBlaze
I don't think casual fans will side with Pac-man..I know a lot of casual fans who would say Floyd is greater..

In my opinion,I'd say Pac-man is greater overall..
ViperSniper
Both our P4P best fighters in the world have hurt their legacy in the long run imo as one has continuously ducked the big fights and the other has had questionable ones & has also made demands that have disadvantaged his opponents in his big fights.

Mayweather has already left it way too late as he has hurt his career a lot by ducking that many fights, even if he was to take them now they would not have the same relevance as they once should have.

Pacquaio’s career post lightweight on the other hand has gotten totally out of hand as it really isn’t as great as it looks on paper. Pac beats Cotto and people start throwing “top 20 of all time", "top 5 of all time"...some even comparing him to Robinson???

Pac has taken big fights but many point to steroids for Manny’s performances against top fighters but I point to great matchmaking as he picks his opponents at the right time. (ie. Margarito being next on the list).

Fans will see “MAYWEATHER-PACQUAIO SIGNED!!!” to see both fans be all shocked & impressed to then give each fighter props for stepping in the ring as if they have done something so courageous! Tsss.. so these dudes should be fucking fighting each other!! I mean this is meant to be boxing right? And these guys happened to be considered the biggest & best in the world not to mention they happen to be fighting in the same fucking division! Please. Neither would deserve the sack swingin' attention & praise that would come after the fight not to mention the money they would be rewarded with.

Both have had some solid wins in recent fights but other than possibly Hatton, which fresh or primed fighter has either guy step into the ring with since leaving Lightweight?

Mayweather would whip Manny but If I had to pick who’s had the greater career though I’d have to give it to Pac as his wins over Morales & Barrera are better than Mayweather’s wins over Castillo & Corales.

Unless the fight is a total flop, by no means do I somehow think this fight is bad for boxing. I just don’t understand how many a relying on this fight to save boxing which if is the case we are pretty fucked once the fight is over then. Boxing doesn’t NEED this fight to save the sport when we have so many great fights to be made in future with boxers that are actually willing to fight!

To be honest I wouldn't be that moved if the fight was never made. I’m much more pumped to see the following fights below:

Lopez-Marquez
Martinez-Williams II
Darchiniyan-Mares
Agbeko-Perez II
Bradley-Alexander
Pascal-Hopkins
The Super Middleweight division
Marquez-Katsidis
Khan-Maidana

Now if only the fights above could get promoted the shit out of like the other 2’s fights have, then we could have something to really be proud of. Boxing has all of a sudden taken a big u-turn the second half of the year as it’s looking pretty damn impressive at this point in time. thumbsup_anim.gif
JLUVBABY
sad thing is the fight is quickly becoming an after thought... and i honestly think, as much of a fan as i am of lil floyds, that he's losing touch on reality... plus i dont think he really gives a damn about his legacy anymore... that being said skill for skill id say lil floyd is head and shoulders over pac right now but pac is fighting the fights rather they have astoriks next to them or not that make his time in the sport more valuable to the fan than is mayweather... with that said if neither fighter ever fought again I personally would rate lil floyd higher only because i BELIEVE IF they where to fight he would come out on top... but i couldnt argue with someone going with pac, his body of work has been impressive and if he does beat margarito its just another feather in his hat... its the reason they really need to bite the bullet and make the damn fight...
streetlion1
Good post Viper.....IMO Mayweather should be remembered as the better fighter and a greater fighter all time. People are on the Pacquiao hype train because of matchmaking mostly. I used to be a Mayweather hater until he stepped up and fought Shane Mosley...now an older Mosley or not he is still the Shane Mosley Pacquiao and Roach wanted no part of even at 140lbs. Take into account that Pacman has been ducking JMM ever since he narrowly escaped losing twice to him...take into account that the guys Pacman has destroyed as of late were an old and drained DLH...while Mayweather fought him at 154 while he still had some skill and quickness left....a Ricky Hatton who was already K.O.ed by Floyd (and Hatton is garbage anyway lol)....a Cotto who was slightly drained with a bad corner....and a walking heavy bag who seemed he was just there to make Manny look good.

I do think Pacquiao is a good fighter...a very exciting fighter who deserves to be recognized...a fighter who always lays it all on the line when he is in the ring...but not placed ahead of Floyd for winning titles at catchweights and very good matchmaking by his trainer and promoter. Now if Pac and Floyd fight and Pac wins then I would say you have an arguement but until then its Floyd all day. To me...I would love to see them fight but I dont think it would be as good a fight as some people think. I think after Mayweather adjusts to Pac-roids speed he will dominate him and knock him out. Manny is all offense...he cant fight backing up and even though I think he shreds Margacheato I think he will take alot of punishment in the process if it doesnt end early.

I wanna see Mayweather take 2 more fights...1st Pacquiao...and then Cotto. Personally I feel he struggles more with Cotto then he does Pacquiao...I know most people dont agree with that comment lol...but style vs style I see it as a better fight.
JLUVBABY
QUOTE (ViperSniper @ Sep 24 2010, 06:01 AM) *
Unless the fight is a total flop, by no means do I somehow think this fight is bad for boxing. I just don’t understand how many a relying on this fight to save boxing which if is the case we are pretty fucked once the fight is over then. Boxing doesn’t NEED this fight to save the sport when we have so many great fights to be made in future with boxers that are actually willing to fight!

I love this post the most because it says a lot... hardcore and casual fans alike have done nothing but talked about this one fight between two prima donnas when there are so many more better fights to be made between fighters AND PROBABLY MORE IMPORTANTLY THEIR CAMPS that want to make fights and want to fight... may-pac is fun barber shop shop discussion but until they both have signed on the line i say fuck the both of them... like i said months ago i think the best that could happen is one of them get bumped off... ends the discussion and these young hungry fighters that dont get, yet deserve, the lime light these two rich fuckers are getting can finally get their time to shine with the fans... personally i have a problem with these two continuosly turning down money most if not all of us will ever see, and having the nerve to complain about why that kind of money was turned down... for 40 million a piece or 30 or how ever many a millions it would have wound up being floyd should have let pac juice up as much as he wanted and pac should have let floyd come in weighing 160 or whatever his complaint was and make that fight... i actually hope one of them get beats so severely against someone else it kills the buzz for that fight cuzz thats some bullshit.
alaganza
I believe it was said earlier that from the hardcore fans it will be debated seemingly forever. And the casual fans would side with Pac. I agree to both of those statements.

Pac has a more fan friendly style that the casual fans love. He actually goes for the finish. That's what sets them apart in my opinion. As for me, I would think Mayweather is the better fighter. But Pac may have the better career. JMO
Run and Gun Game Calls
very good post alaganza, With floyd facing serious charges and roger facing serious charges, I could see floyd away from boxing at least 2 or 3 years. Floyd depends on his quick twitch muscles to be the boxer he is. 2 to 3 years away at his age will take a serious toll on him IMO
JLUVBABY
QUOTE (Run and Gun Game Calls @ Sep 24 2010, 08:25 PM) *
very good post alaganza, With floyd facing serious charges and roger facing serious charges, I could see floyd away from boxing at least 2 or 3 years. Floyd depends on his quick twitch muscles to be the boxer he is. 2 to 3 years away at his age will take a serious toll on him IMO

no way floyd will be the same in 3 years for sure even if he's active... kets say he serves time the only reason he'd have to come back would be for the payday and to sell his 0...
Run and Gun Game Calls
I used to hate mayweather, but i do kinda feel sorry for the kid tbh now. I get the same depression feelings and vibe that I used to get from Tyson.

Sad a man can be that loaded with that much talent, and yet be that unhappy.
HaydelHammer
QUOTE (JLUVBABY @ Sep 24 2010, 04:28 PM) *
sad thing is the fight is quickly becoming an after thought... and i honestly think, as much of a fan as i am of lil floyds, that he's losing touch on reality... plus i dont think he really gives a damn about his legacy anymore... that being said skill for skill id say lil floyd is head and shoulders over pac right now but pac is fighting the fights rather they have astoriks next to them or not that make his time in the sport more valuable to the fan than is mayweather... with that said if neither fighter ever fought again I personally would rate lil floyd higher only because i BELIEVE IF they where to fight he would come out on top... but i couldnt argue with someone going with pac, his body of work has been impressive and if he does beat margarito its just another feather in his hat... its the reason they really need to bite the bullet and make the damn fight...

bingo. Fk em. Bring on Paul and Sergio, NCAA and NFL.
Warlord
QUOTE (Run and Gun Game Calls @ Sep 24 2010, 09:32 PM) *
I used to hate mayweather, but i do kinda feel sorry for the kid tbh now. I get the same depression feelings and vibe that I used to get from Tyson.

Sad a man can be that loaded with that much talent, and yet be that unhappy.

I have zero sympathy for Gayweather. As I've said numerous times, he's just a insecure bitch with daddy issues. His problems could be solved if he'd just grow a pair.

Tyson, on the other hand, doesn't just have deep seeded emotional problems. I think he also genuinely has the type of mental problems caused by physical factors, i.e. genetics, chemical imbalances, etc...

As weird as it might sound to some, I've always considered Mike to be a decent human being. Floyd is just a straight-up douchebag. (Though he is the top P4P fighter in the world right now, imo.)
Lil-lightsout
QUOTE (Warlord @ Sep 25 2010, 12:54 AM) *
I have zero sympathy for Gayweather. As I've said numerous times, he's just a insecure bitch with daddy issues. His problems could be solved if he'd just grow a pair.

Tyson, on the other hand, doesn't just have deep seeded emotional problems. I think he also genuinely has the type of mental problems caused by physical factors, i.e. genetics, chemical imbalances, etc...

As weird as it might sound to some, I've always considered Mike to be a decent human being. Floyd is just a straight-up douchebag. (Though he is the top P4P fighter in the world right now, imo.)

Excellent post. Agree 100%.
JLUVBABY
speaking of tyson i read an interview the other day from holyfield saying tyson passed on a 35 million dollar payday recently for a 3rd fight fight with him... stating his heart was no longer in the sport... cuddos to iron mike for not being sucked in...
Run and Gun Game Calls
tyson was never the same fighter after jail, hell he wasnt the same after leaving kevin rooney tbh. A third fight made no sence for tyson other than a pay day
The Ollie Reed Fan Club
I would go so far as to say Tyson was a goneburger after the Spinks fight. After that he was fighting on fumes and reputation.

I would agree with others, I think Mayweather may be the more talented fighter but he refuses to prove it by taking the biggest fights available to him. Manny has the more storied a career and his acheivments I think currently outweigh Floyds and Floyd has no-one to blame but himself.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.