Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Sonny Liston....
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
JLUVBABY
For what ever reason Sonny Liston was on my mind today as i worked and i felt I would make a thread about him... Just wondering what are you guys thoughts on the man?... Personally i think he's one of the greatest most misunderstood fighters of all times... i wish his death had closure to it...

JonnyBlaze
QUOTE (JLUVBABY @ Sep 24 2010, 04:07 PM) *
For what ever reason Sonny Liston was on my mind today as i worked and i felt I would make a thread about him... Just wondering what are you guys thoughts on the man?... Personally i think he's one of the greatest most misunderstood fighters of all times... i wish his death had closure to it...

Very misunderstood I feel as well..Yeah,he did some bad shit but he was kind of outcasted in the boxing world..After winning the belt,reporters wouldn't even interview him because they were scared of him I hear..Liston is always forgotten on the top 5 hardest punchers at heavyweight..Liston had the biggest fist in heavyweight history..Some people think fist size means more power..With Liston it's hard to argue but when you think of Tony Zale,you have a case..I've heard stories of Liston knocking teeth out with just his jab..

Have you seen the movie Phantom Punch??If ya haven't,check it out..
Warlord
I like Liston, but I don't think I'd put him on my list of the top 10 heavyweights in history.

Sentimentality seems to be one of the main criteria people use for ranking fighters these days. It's the same reason you see cats like Jack Johnson appearing on top 10 lists. I'm not knocking it, but it certainly is something I try to avoid if at all possible.
ROLL DEEP
He was a baaaaaad mutha!

He was a brilliant fighter, but not in the upper tier of greatest fighters.
SENTRAL
Sonny Liston a very good fighter.  He had a superb jab, a solid chin and awesome power.  Too much stock is read into the Ali fights I feel.  I'm unsure about his whereabouts in an all-time list but I do think people are too nostalgic about the past champions. His cheating in the Clay fight coupled with the phantom punch in the rematch definitely leave a bitter taste in the mouth but it has to be remembered, Liston wasn't a quitter with no heart. In one fight he fought six rounds with a broken jaw and still won, that takes a lot of heart. In 1974 Ali said of Liston,  "He hit harder than George, he had a longer reach than George, he was a better boxer than George...".  High praise.
His jab was something else though, it really warrants credit.  84" long, which is the same as the taller Lewis and Bowe, plus, for a long armed fighter he was extremely good on the inside. He had that clubbing right hand, the savage uppercut and one of the very best left hooks in heavyweight history.  His true prime, between 58 and 60, Liston had, at worst, the 2nd best jab of all time.  Seriously.

salvador
There is a good song by The New Black entitled "The Ballad of Sonny Liston". It's off "Melting Pot Roast" and is worth downloading - unfortunately I can't find it for free anywhere.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.