Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Glen Johnson replaces Kessler in SUPER 6
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
BigG
Nice addition! I expect Glen to whoop Green's ass....I'd love to see Abraham-Johnson!
thehype
QUOTE (BigG @ Sep 30 2010, 02:15 AM) *
Nice addition! I expect Glen to whoop Green's ass....I'd love to see Abraham-Johnson!

I disagree. No disrespect, but it would be a travesty for Glen Johnson to be considered one of the best super middleweights in the world. That's pretty sad if you think about it.

laugh.gif
JD
At least they are putting the no-hoper and the old man together.
pcraw
Gotta agree with Hype here. This Super 6 idea went from being great to...well...I don't know what. You're basically rewarding Green for his terrible performance. He had already backed into the tourney because of Jermain Taylor. And now you're going to add a guy (and I love Glen Johnson) that haven't made 168 pounds in 10 years and he's coming off of a loss. Damn. I hope their not still trying to sell me on the fact that this is the best 168 pounders in the world because I'm not buying. I think Glen would make for some exciting fights, but could you imagine if he pulled this thing off some way? OMG
pcraw
Oh, but with that being said, I love the fact that Glen is getting the payday. I would have preferred to see if Dawson could revive himself in a new weight class or simply drop Green out.
D-MARV
They should have just dropped Green and went straight to the Semi Finals.
Method
What kind of payday is Glenn getting?
BigG
It should be Lucian Bute but he doesn't want to take part in the tournament so I have no problem with Glen joining because I consider him to be one of the best around his weight class. Plus he's always in good fights.
JLUVBABY
i think glenn beats allen green but loses to the rest of the comp... just my opinion... but he may make for some better than i expect fights... i thought the idea of bringing in sakio bika was a good idea...
STEVENSKI
QUOTE (SmartyBeardo @ Sep 30 2010, 11:31 PM) *
More solid evidence that the Super Six (round robin) format makes no sense in boxing. They're gonna need another roll of duct tape to get this lemon across the finish line.

I agree. Any form of boxing tournament should be decided on a knockout system only. Why reward fighters that lose? you win you move on & you lose & it's back to flipping burgers or pumping gas.
gravytrain
I think the power struggle between promoters really took this tournament from something that could potentially be great to just a good lineup for Showtime.
Col Reb
Can Glenn even make it to the next round in a best-case scenario? I want to see what would need to happen.
gravytrain
QUOTE (Col Reb @ Oct 1 2010, 01:10 AM) *
Can Glenn even make it to the next round in a best-case scenario? I want to see what would need to happen.

If he were to get two knockouts I think he could.
The Ollie Reed Fan Club
I am pleased if only because I think the all pressure style that Glen brings is gonna bust up that mental midget Allan Green. I don't care what happens after that I just want to see him stretcher Green. Fuck I wanna see that bad.
Deevel79
This super 6 just seems like a huge failure to me. Cancellations, fighters pulling out, postponments, etc.... I've already lost interest.
ViperSniper
QUOTE (JLUVBABY @ Sep 30 2010, 05:35 PM) *
i think glenn beats allen green but loses to the rest of the comp... just my opinion... but he may make for some better than i expect fights... i thought the idea of bringing in sakio bika was a good idea...

Yup! Bika would have been a good choice, if not Andrade!

Also, despite inconveniences and some set backs, the tourney has been pretty good in more than one ways. At the end of the day what's important is we have gotten some pretty decent fights out of a division that's deep & evenly matched. Even after the Super 6 is finished there will still be a big match up waiting for Bute against the winner..not to mention the match ups that slipped and the rematches to be settled.
The Ollie Reed Fan Club
QUOTE (ViperSniper @ Oct 1 2010, 08:55 AM) *

Also, despite inconveniences and some set backs, the tourney has been pretty good in more than one ways. At the end of the day what's important is we have gotten some pretty decent fights out of a division that's deep & evenly matched. Even after the Super 6 is finished there will still be a big match up waiting for Bute against the winner..not to mention the match ups that slipped and the rematches to be settled.

Co-sign. The early part of the tourney threw up some unexpected results, a couple of dramtic fights and briefly made the division look good.
ROLL DEEP
QUOTE (ViperSniper @ Oct 1 2010, 09:55 AM) *

Agreed.

QUOTE (The Ollie Reed Fan Club @ Oct 1 2010, 10:50 AM) *
Co-sign. The early part of the tourney threw up some unexpected results, a couple of dramtic fights and briefly made the division look god.

And agreed.
alaganza
QUOTE (pcraw @ Sep 30 2010, 09:12 AM) *
Gotta agree with Hype here. This Super 6 idea went from being great to...well...I don't know what. You're basically rewarding Green for his terrible performance. He had already backed into the tourney because of Jermain Taylor. And now you're going to add a guy (and I love Glen Johnson) that haven't made 168 pounds in 10 years and he's coming off of a loss. D***. I hope their not still trying to sell me on the fact that this is the best 168 pounders in the world because I'm not buying. I think Glen would make for some exciting fights, but could you imagine if he pulled this thing off some way? OMG

It would be great if Glen could pull it off. However, as you stated above, Glen moving down after all this time will play a big factor in his inability to pull this off.

That said, I will be pulling for Glen as usual.
PR316
How in the hell is Glenn gonna make 168?.

He weighed 192 when he got into the ring las time he fought.
Mean Mister Mustard
I agree with Stevenski, a tournament should only take place in knockout format. Can Johnson even make 168?
Thegreatequalizer
QUOTE (pcraw @ Sep 30 2010, 09:12 AM) *
Gotta agree with Hype here. This Super 6 idea went from being great to...well...I don't know what. You're basically rewarding Green for his terrible performance. He had already backed into the tourney because of Jermain Taylor. And now you're going to add a guy (and I love Glen Johnson) that haven't made 168 pounds in 10 years and he's coming off of a loss. Damn. I hope their not still trying to sell me on the fact that this is the best 168 pounders in the world because I'm not buying. I think Glen would make for some exciting fights, but could you imagine if he pulled this thing off some way? OMG

well, they put mosley, who was coming off a loss, on a ppv with a boring fighter in mora, so i don't think putting johnson in the super six is that much of a travesty.

but with that being said, i agree with d-marv, it should have just moved to the last four with green being dropped. i don't think the tournament can really be called a failure. yes, it is falling apart a little bit, but overall, we now have a fairly well-rounded view of the 168 division. there were question marks around all the fighters in the tournament, and now a lot of those questions have been answered. so the tournament itself didn't turn out quite like it was supposed to, but it did do a good job of exposing and promoting the super middle division.
The Original MrFactor
Surprised that they added anyone at all. I thought it would have been fine if they just let it close out with the four guys that they had left. On the other hand, how can anyone not love the selection of Johnson to the tournament. Its all win/win/win...

Johnson always comes to fight and brings the fight to his opponent. Johnson is a super nice guy. Johnson deserves some shine due to him being everything that all boxers should embody. He's 41, but at 168, he may have new life. I predict him to beat green by decision. Green will do next to nothing, while Johnson just pecks away for 12 rounds. Johnson may mess around and beat Ward, Dirrell, Abraham or Froch....
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.