Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Andre Berto
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
Hittman25
It might not be his fault why he cant get a big name in the ring with him but enuff is enuff im tired of seeing berto fighting B fighters.....miguel cotto or some one needs to step up to the plate already........what do you guys think.......
gravytrain
How is it Berto's fault? Mayweather and Pacquiao aren't going to fight him, Mosley wont fight him because the "money isn't right", and I really don't know who else he can fight to prove himself.
Hodge
I think he should Paulie Malinaggi.
SmartyBeardo
I'm looking forward to this fight as well as the whole card. I'm thinking about heading to you know where for this one.

I think Berto will beat up Hernandez but Freddy could land something early that makes it a good fight.
thehype
QUOTE (gravytrain @ Oct 5 2010, 05:03 PM) *
How is it Berto's fault? Mayweather and Pacquiao aren't going to fight him, Mosley wont fight him because the "money isn't right", and I really don't know who else he can fight to prove himself.

The money WAS right with Mosley until Berto demanded a 50/50 split of the purse the second time around.

Seeing as how Paul Williams was intent on coming back down to 147 prior to signing to fight with Martinez, I think he could have fought him...especially since they both have the same advisor.

He also could have fought Collazo again since so many people thought that fight was close and deserving of a rematch.

I believe Devon Alexander was also willing to fight him, but that's a whole other story.

There have DEFINITELY been opportunities for Berto to showcase his talents against more well-known competition...the problem, however, is that the money was never right for Berto, who's already accustomed to making 600K to 1 million per fight, despite the fact that he's never really beaten anyone of note within the division...well, except Quintana.

But hey, I don't want to make it sound like I'm getting down on Berto. If you guys are cool with the career choices he's making, then so am I.

laugh.gif
Hittman25
paulie mallinagi get the fuck outta here...that dude is trash....i want cotto or a paul williams would be ku.....who else would be good for berto...
TheFonz
Miguel Cotto would be a great fight for him to get his ass busted in.
gravytrain
QUOTE (thehype @ Oct 5 2010, 07:44 PM) *
The money WAS right with Mosley until Berto demanded a 50/50 split of the purse the second time around.

Seeing as how Paul Williams was intent on coming back down to 147 prior to signing to fight with Martinez, I think he could have fought him...especially since they both have the same advisor.

He also could have fought Collazo again since so many people thought that fight was close and deserving of a rematch.

I believe Devon Alexander was also willing to fight him, but that's a whole other story.

There have DEFINITELY been opportunities for Berto to showcase his talents against more well-known competition...the problem, however, is that the money was never right for Berto, who's already accustomed to making 600K to 1 million per fight, despite the fact that he's never really beaten anyone of note within the division...well, except Quintana.

But hey, I don't want to make it sound like I'm getting down on Berto. If you guys are cool with the career choices he's making, then so am I.

laugh.gif

Berto has a more legitimate claim to a 50/50 split then Mosley has against it. I would like to see him go against Williams if possible, despite the Collazo fight being close I don't really see him winning by a wider margin really gaining him accolade, and when it comes down to signing the contract I really don't believe Alexander would have fought him.

Sure, Berto has had chances, it's not as if he's ducking the better fighters though. Not in my opinion anyway. Then again it's pretty hard to know what's really going on these days with all the politics and bullshit lol.
gravytrain
QUOTE (Fitz @ Oct 5 2010, 08:31 PM) *
You maybe read my post or the original post wrong. I don't think it's his fault either.

It was just directed towards the original post. And I was personally just questioning how it could be all on him, not so much wondering how anyone could possibly question the skills of young Andre lol.
Romulus9
I'd like to see Hernandez to do Berto when John Molina did to Hank Lundy.

50/50 split with Mosley.

Get outta here with that bullshit, Andre.
Jack 1000
Yea,

They could do better than Freddy Hernandez, but if HBO sees Berto as their next big star and are winning to pay Berto big money for small risks, Berto's got to be thinking, "Why take bigger challenges?"

Jack
gravytrain
QUOTE (Romulus9 @ Oct 5 2010, 08:55 PM) *
I'd like to see Hernandez to do Berto when John Molina did to Hank Lundy.

50/50 split with Mosley.

Get outta here with that bullshit, Andre.

Mosley sure had a lot to offer after getting embarrassed by Mayweather and being stripped of his title. Can't believe Berto wanted a 50/50 split when a guy is fighting for his title, doesn't generate lots of money, and who people already thought is old and should retire.
SmartyBeardo
I don't understand why Hernandez gets no respect. I realize his win over Anchondo means nothing. His Corley KO was pretty impressive though.

Hernandez is probably a set up fight for Berto, but there is no doubt that he is dangerous. He has decent pop, decent skills, he is well trained, tough and rough.

I think it is a decent test for Berto.
thehype
QUOTE (gravytrain @ Oct 5 2010, 07:27 PM) *
Berto has a more legitimate claim to a 50/50 split then Mosley has against it.

Reallly? Damn. No respect for Shane Mosley. Exactly how many pay-per-view events has Berto headlined or even been in? Oh that's right...he's too busy trying to draw 4000 people in his hometown.

laugh.gif

I would like to see him go against Williams if possible, despite the Collazo fight being close I don't really see him winning by a wider margin really gaining him accolade, and when it comes down to signing the contract I really don't believe Alexander would have fought him.

I don't even know if he would've won the rematch against Collazo...and apparently, Lou DiBella wasn't that confident either, because despite all his talk about it being a great fight and Collazo deserving a rematch, he sure as hell never got one.

As far as Devon is concerned, according to his trainer/manager Kevin Cunningham, they would've signed for that fight in a heartbeat.

Sure, Berto has had chances, it's not as if he's ducking the better fighters though. Not in my opinion anyway. Then again it's pretty hard to know what's really going on these days with all the politics and bullshit lol.

That's because he's too busy ducking the B-level fighters like Collazo. LOL.

He's also not going out of his way to fight the bettter fighters either. I mean, the guy has been the WBC welterweight champion for what....2 years now? And his most significant title defense was against a blown-up jr. middleweight in Juan Urango? Newsflash...Andre Berto is NOT a big name in boxing...not yet anyway...so he should have jumped at the opportunity to gain exposure by beating Shane Mosley NO MATTER the purse split. That's the problem with boxing...these young cats think they're bigger than what they are. I mean, Shane Mosley didn't demand 50/50 the first time he fought De La Hoya and yet, he accomplished way more than Berto did by the time he was given an opportunity at his first PPV event. It's pathetic that a guy with such little exposure is demanding a 50/50 purse split against a future Hall of Famer....just pathetic. Not to mention, there's no way this guy should be fighting just 2 times a year already. At that rate, he'll be retired in about 2-3 years. LOL. I'm sorry, but if I were an Andre Berto fan, I'd be a little upset that he's not taking the opportunities that he's been given. But again, it's his career, so if he's content with the 4000 folks who watch him in his hometown...if he's making good money and can live off of 2 fights a year without fighting any big names....then hey, more power to him. LOL.

As for the "politics and bullshit"....I know what's really going on these days and it's pretty sad that fans let them get away with it.
thehype
QUOTE (gravytrain @ Oct 5 2010, 10:46 PM) *
Mosley sure had a lot to offer after getting embarrassed by Mayweather and being stripped of his title. Can't believe Berto wanted a 50/50 split when a guy is fighting for his title, doesn't generate lots of money, and who people already thought is old and should retire.

Mosley generates more money than Berto does. I guarantee you can walk into a gym and ask a casual fan if they know who Shane Mosley is and the answer would be yes....now ask that same fan if they know who Andre Berto is. LOL.

As for his performance against Mayweather....hey....ain't no shame in getting blanked by one of the best. He didn't look any worse against Mayweather than Juan Manuel Marquez did. LOL. But that's besides the point...at least he wanted and demanded the fight. Exactly how many times has Andre Berto demanded a Floyd Mayweather fight?

dntknw.gif

And for the record, Shane GLADLY gave them their belt back. Why pay a sanctioning fee when you don't need to. He's Shane Mosley...he doesn't even need a belt to get fights. Hell, he headlined a PPV after that embarrassing performance against Mayweather. LOL. If he did fight Berto, he probably wouldn't pay the santioning fee for that belt eithter. LOL.

Let me know when Berto fights anyone as impressive as Shane has fought. Hell, Berto didn't even look all that great against Collazo, who Mosley blanked years before. LOL.

For the record, I do think Berto beats Shane via unanimous decision...but man, if he wants the big fights to start falling into his lap, if he wants to become a PPV star, he's gotta take these fights against the big names when he gets them. Demanding a 50/50 split before you've even proven yourself to be a star is not the way to go about doing it.
thehype
QUOTE (SmartyBeardo @ Oct 6 2010, 09:42 AM) *
I don't understand why Hernandez gets no respect. I realize his win over Anchondo means nothing. His Corley KO was pretty impressive though.

Hernandez is probably a set up fight for Berto, but there is no doubt that he is dangerous. He has decent pop, decent skills, he is well trained, tough and rough.

I think it is a decent test for Berto.

I don't think it has anything to do with Hernandez really...I just think a lot of people are tired of Berto needing "tests". It's time for him to mix it up with the big names and that's what people want to see. Unfortunately, Berto thinks he's a lot bigger than he really is, therefore, it makes it difficult to negotiate those type of fights for him. 50/50 for Shane Mosley? Please! He should have gladly taken a 60/40 split just to beat Shane's ass and get that name on his resume. He should've done the same for a Cotto fight...hell, he shoulda been happy with just a 70/30 split against Cotto, since that fight likely would have been at MSG in front of thousands of New Yoricans. Andre Berto is NOT a draw in any way, shape or form. He's no bigger of a draw than Devon Alexander or Tim Bradley, however, he's been getting paid like he is for his last few fights...because of that, Berto naturally believes he deserves more money than he really does. Way to go HBO. LOL.
EAlbian
I agree, if there are no big name fights then you take an under card fight for exposure. I think Berto is going to benefit from the deep 140 lbs division moving up. If i were him i would keep my activity up and look for the winner of Bradley Alexander or Kahn Miadana. Going to 154 to chase cotto is pointless right now, Arum doesnt want to let his fighter out his stable to fight. All berto can do right now is put on a good performance and tkeep his name relevant. A mosley fight is still not out of the picture for the first half of 2011
gravytrain
QUOTE (thehype @ Oct 6 2010, 11:56 AM) *
Reallly? Damn. No respect for Shane Mosley. Exactly how many pay-per-view events has Berto headlined or even been in? Oh that's right...he's too busy trying to draw 4000 people in his hometown.

laugh.gif

Well, how is asking someone to shoulder all the risks for little reward reasonable? Not long ago Mosley got a million for a fight, 2 mil against Margarito, and I can't recall what he got for Mora but I'm not thinking it'd be past 2 million. He doesn't command the high purses. And now, especially after the Mora fight, people are really doubting Mosley and think he should hang up the gloves.

If you were Andre Berto would you most likely take a pay cut to have someone fight for your title, against a person who's stock rapidly dropped over the course of two fights, and wouldn't raise your stock more than fighting a person like Paul Williams would? If this were back when Mosley was riding the success of the Margarito fight I'd be calling Berto a fool for thinking he should get 50/50, but it's not.

QUOTE (thehype @ Oct 6 2010, 11:56 AM) *
He's also not going out of his way to fight the bettter fighters either. I mean, the guy has been the WBC welterweight champion for what....2 years now? And his most significant title defense was against a blown-up jr. middleweight in Juan Urango? Newsflash...Andre Berto is NOT a big name in boxing...not yet anyway...so he should have jumped at the opportunity to gain exposure by beating Shane Mosley NO MATTER the purse split. That's the problem with boxing...these young cats think they're bigger than what they are. I mean, Shane Mosley didn't demand 50/50 the first time he fought De La Hoya and yet, he accomplished way more than Berto did by the time he was given an opportunity at his first PPV event. It's pathetic that a guy with such little exposure is demanding a 50/50 purse split against a future Hall of Famer....just pathetic. Not to mention, there's no way this guy should be fighting just 2 times a year already. At that rate, he'll be retired in about 2-3 years. LOL. I'm sorry, but if I were an Andre Berto fan, I'd be a little upset that he's not taking the opportunities that he's been given. But again, it's his career, so if he's content with the 4000 folks who watch him in his hometown...if he's making good money and can live off of 2 fights a year without fighting any big names....then hey, more power to him. LOL

Well realistically it wasn't quite 4,000 people, they gave away quite a lot of tickets.

Sure, I'd like to see him step it up in competition, just against the top fighters in his division. Mayweather and Pacquiao aren't going to give him the time of day. Has he avoided the best competition? I can't say, I don't know what has been realistically available to him other than the Mosley fight. In my opinion the same thing is happening as to what he's doing; people are trying to make the biggest fight and finances dictate whether or not they'll sign the contract or not.
SmartyBeardo
QUOTE (thehype @ Oct 6 2010, 12:15 PM) *
I don't think it has anything to do with Hernandez really...I just think a lot of people are tired of Berto needing "tests". It's time for him to mix it up with the big names and that's what people want to see. Unfortunately, Berto thinks he's a lot bigger than he really is, therefore, it makes it difficult to negotiate those type of fights for him. 50/50 for Shane Mosley? Please! He should have gladly taken a 60/40 split just to beat Shane's ass and get that name on his resume. He should've done the same for a Cotto fight...hell, he shoulda been happy with just a 70/30 split against Cotto, since that fight likely would have been at MSG in front of thousands of New Yoricans. Andre Berto is NOT a draw in any way, shape or form. He's no bigger of a draw than Devon Alexander or Tim Bradley, however, he's been getting paid like he is for his last few fights...because of that, Berto naturally believes he deserves more money than he really does. Way to go HBO. LOL.

It is too bad that the Berto v Mosley fight didn't come off earlier this year. The winner would have probably ended up being PBF's 2010 fight. If Mosley won he would have been better prepared for PBF. If Berto won he would have ended up fighting the two best Welters available this year.

Berto v SSM is not as interesting as it was at the beginning of the year, although few gave Berto much of a chance at that time. If Berto does the expected and gets by Hernandez, he could well end up matched up with QuackMeow or PBF.

I'd love to see Hernandez pull the upset. Whatever happens, we are actually set up for a few great months of boxing that should lead to an even more intense and interesting group of fights to follow.

Honestly, I'm not sure how the next few months could line up any better, given the circumstances, unless Quack v Less Money had materialized and The Sisters decided to beat the shit out of each other.
Big Slim Sweet
QUOTE (gravytrain @ Oct 5 2010, 10:46 PM) *

No matter how bad Floyd made Shane look, that fight if anything raised Shane's profile and gave him more leverage in a bout with a guy like Berto.

Hardly anyone knows who the fuck Berto is, and most of the fans that do aren't all that impressed by him. He should be jumping at the chance to get Mosley in the ring.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.