Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Cotto Kirkland anyone?
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
BoxingStill#1
Good fight,.... Not really sure who I'd pick
lloyd mayflower
Not sure who i'd pick, maybe slight lean towrds Miguel. Would definitely like to see it tho.
EAlbian
Cotto tears him apart right now, kirkland has not fought near the level of opposition not to mention he's been out the game for a year+. Kirkland has great pressure but a lot of holes in his defense. Good fight a year or two from now if Cotto is still in the game. It's funny how 2 -3 years ago everyone was talking about how weak 154 was, i'd say its the best, if not 2nd best division in boxing right now. Williams, Martinez, Cotto, Dzinziruk, Mosley, Margarito, Cintron, Angulo, Kirkland, Martirosyan, Alvarez, Chavez Jr, Foreman, Bunderage, Powell, Smith, and Guerrero. Not to mention Pacquiao, who's gonna make a move into the division against Margarito. Those were not in any order and i know that Martinez and Williams are fighting at middle but they still could make 154 if they wanted. Most, if not all, have had some Hbo exposure. If i were Hbo this is where i'd make my tournament. Even if you cut out Martinez, Williams, Mosley, and Cotto in the early stages and inserted them in the second or third round it would still make for great fights and establish new household names.
sweetscientist1
QUOTE (SmartyBeardo @ Oct 12 2010, 10:03 AM) *
Right now I would take Cotto. A year from now, maybe not so much.

God you guys are gonna leave Cotto no brain when he's done. He will have taken so many shots. If you really care about Miguel, tell him to retire or set up a rematch with Yuri Foreman!
King Eugene
Cotto could out box Kirkland right NOW but how would he hold up to the constant pressure? Kirkland isn't Margarito(probably better) but he comes with a lot of pressure and throw all hard shots. I don't think Cotto has the power to keep him off. Give him a few more fights to knock off the rust and round this time next year we'll see either Kirkland vs. Cotto or Angulo.
BoxingStill#1
Cotto needs to be tested with a puncher in this division.....Plus if he can show up against a young hungry fighter in Kirkland, he would have reestablished himself as a legit top fighter......

This would be a tremendous opportunity for Kirkland.... both for a championship belt and an extremely notable name under his belt to get things moving for him as he is comes back to the ring.

Cotto has fought nearly everyone at 147 with the exception of Mayweather.... he has taken abuse,.....however, he has chosen to further his career at the higher division.....So I think its time to see if he swim.....He proved he still has the boxing skills and power to deal with the caliber of the Jr. middle weights, but can he deal with the power?...

Kirkland is a machine and hits like a mule,... he would give Cotto fits and could possibly knock him out....

I see a real fight, a people's fight,...id even go as far as to say a PPV worthy.....
JLUVBABY
QUOTE (sweetscientist1 @ Oct 12 2010, 08:17 PM) *
God you guys are gonna leave Cotto no brain when he's done. He will have taken so many shots. If you really care about Miguel, tell him to retire or set up a rematch with Yuri Foreman!

man i agree.. cotto takes to many shots... let kirkland shake that rust off and i think he bombs cotto out in worse fashion than pc... and quicker... cotto is very much damaged goods.... if yuri foreman had a punch he would have exposed that....
sweetscientist1
QUOTE (BoxingStill#1 @ Oct 12 2010, 09:49 AM) *
Good fight,.... Not really sure who I'd pick

Right now you'd have to go with Miguel. As soon as the World class Competition comes at James, things are gong to be a little different than they have been. Kirkland is going to have to learn to develop some patients and not just run out and slugfest every opponent. If and when he starts to fight more skilled guys like Sergio, Cintron, Paul Williams, Cotto, etc... he's going to have to really learn how to box and develop real defensive fight skill other than standing around getting hit regardless of how great your chin is. The fact that he's about to lose Ann Wolfe as a trainer is a big plus that can take him to the next level if he gets with the right guy. But Cotto, Mayweather and Sergio are all too much for him right now. He'd lose a boxing match with any of these guys. Kirkland is an A- fighter until he develops.
BigG
I think Cotto can outbox Kirkalnd and even hurt him but I might lean towards little Tyson James. but I think he might fade and James stops him late.
The Ollie Reed Fan Club
QUOTE (sweetscientist1 @ Oct 13 2010, 07:59 PM) *
Right now you'd have to go with Miguel. As soon as the World class Competition comes at James, things are gong to be a little different than they have been. Kirkland is going to have to learn to develop some patients and not just run out and slugfest every opponent. If and when he starts to fight more skilled guys like Sergio, Cintron, Paul Williams, Cotto, etc... he's going to have to really learn how to box and develop real defensive fight skill other than standing around getting hit regardless of how great your chin is. The fact that he's about to lose Ann Wolfe as a trainer is a big plus that can take him to the next level if he gets with the right guy. But Cotto, Mayweather and Sergio are all too much for him right now. He'd lose a boxing match with any of these guys. Kirkland is an A- fighter until he develops.

Agree with pretty much all of this post except the A- part. Kirkland is B+ at best. He has virtually no defence and it has been shown that he can be hurt as well. I really don't get why you're all so high on this guy. As soon as he fights a semi decent guy with good fundamentals he is gonna get ripped apart, the end.

I would like to see him fight Saul Alvarez, that would be a fun fight with Saul coming out victorious.
EAlbian
QUOTE (The Ollie Reed Fan Club @ Oct 13 2010, 08:13 PM) *
Agree with pretty much all of this post except the A- part. Kirkland is B+ at best. He has virtually no defence and it has been shown that he can be hurt as well. I really don't get why you're all so high on this guy. As soon as he fights a semi decent guy with good fundamentals he is gonna get ripped apart, the end.

I would like to see him fight Saul Alvarez, that would be a fun fight with Saul coming out victorious.

I agree that james has done nothing to deserve an A- rating, he's a contender at best right now. A B+ rating is about the highest i can rate him until he beats a quality opponent. Joel Julio is a B- fighter so i cant rate Kirkland anything higher than a B+. If im Kirkland i take a stay busy fight then go after K9 take a title and then see where Cottos at. Cotto is the best big name fight for him right now and Cotto may be too good for him but its a fun fight. I think guys like Vanes give him problems same with Dzinziruk. If im Kirkland i would stay away and look at a K9, Cotto, and then Angulo. Angulo i think has a slight technical edge against Kirkland and we saw how Cintron out boxed him. If im Kirkland i take the exciting action fights against the divisions smaller men before trying the rangier tall fighters; ie Williams, Martinez, Cintron, Dzinziruk, and Martirosyan.
TheFonz
QUOTE (EAlbian @ Oct 14 2010, 10:42 AM) *
I agree that james has done nothing to deserve an A- rating, he's a contender at best right now. A B+ rating is about the highest i can rate him until he beats a quality opponent. Joel Julio is a B- fighter so i cant rate Kirkland anything higher than a B+. If im Kirkland i take a stay busy fight then go after K9 take a title and then see where Cottos at. Cotto is the best big name fight for him right now and Cotto may be too good for him but its a fun fight. I think guys like Vanes give him problems same with Dzinziruk. If im Kirkland i would stay away and look at a K9, Cotto, and then Angulo. Angulo i think has a slight technical edge against Kirkland and we saw how Cintron out boxed him. If im Kirkland i take the exciting action fights against the divisions smaller men before trying the rangier tall fighters; ie Williams, Martinez, Cintron, Dzinziruk, and Martirosyan.

Anculo sucks, that is all....
sweetscientist1
QUOTE (The Ollie Reed Fan Club @ Oct 13 2010, 08:13 PM) *

I'm high on him because he's a great athelete while getting hit in the face. And I think he's been dropped in one of his last 2 KO wins. So the foot work and defense part is absent but there's a lot you can grow on this kid if he keeps his head together.
The Original MrFactor
I'd watch... Cotto matched up with any puncher at 54 is a good fight...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.