Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 154lbs
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
EAlbian
This division is loaded with guys like Williams, Martinez, Cotto, Dzinziruk, Mosley, Margarito, Cintron, Angulo, Kirkland, Martirosyan, Alvarez, Chavez Jr, Foreman, Bunderage, Powell, Smith, and Guerrero. Not to mention Pacquiao, who's gonna make a move into the division against Margarito. Those were not in any order and i know that Martinez and Williams are fighting at middle but they still could make 154 if they wanted. Most, if not all, have had some Hbo exposure. If i were Hbo this is where i'd make my tournament. Even if you cut out Martinez, Williams, Mosley, and Cotto in the early stages and inserted them in the second or third round it would still make for great fights and establish new household names. This was my post in a previous topic but i think its worthy of discussion. How would you like to see 154 play out?
EAlbian
QUOTE (SmartyBeardo @ Oct 14 2010, 11:07 AM) *
Cintron v Martirosyan
Angulo v Mosley

I think the above would be an interesting little single elim tourney.

I suppose something could be made between the winner of the SMartinez v PWill and The Mexican Cocktail if the prick manages to upset Quack. The Little Green Monster aint jumping up that far, but he might be able to lure PWill down to a ludicrous catch weight for the clams.

I'd like to see and 8 or ten man tournament or maybe 12 with 4 of the higher profile fighters getting byes in. something like:

Kirkland v K9
-- ------------------winner gets Cotto/---------2nd---
Angulo vs Smith/---------------------------------------/---Semis--------
---------------------winner gets Dzinzurik/-----2nd--
Alvarez vs Powell/--------------------------------------/------------------/----Champ------
-------------------------winner gets Mosley/----2nd--
Foreman vs Guerrero----------------------------------/--Semis-------
--------------------------winner gets Chavez/--2nd--

The way i have it set up the lower profile fighters and non champions feed into a champion or may feed into a fighter under the same promoter so that they can maximize their money before getting into the semis. Dzinzurik is not high profile but since Angulo cant fight in the US a fight in Germany might not be Bad. Any of the second round fighters could be replaced with Pac, Williams, Margs, Berto, or Martinez. The first round could be scraped and better fights could be made but i think with a tournament style like this it gives the young guys a chance to be showcased and get vital experience before a tough second round and third round.
King Eugene
No tournament needs to be made. The division doesn't need exposure like 168 did because they already have it. The best just needs to fight the best within the division.
blackbelt2003
Well, the obvious thing would be for Pac to beat MArgarito and then take on Cotto in a rematch.

The first fight was highly entertaining and a big event, so a rematch would be a natural and would tie together two of the three belts.

I doubt Bundrage is a big enough name to warrant Pac taking him on so if we wanted the title to be unified fully we'd need a big name to knock Bundrage off the top spot. How about if Kirkland can come correct, destroy K-9 and another couple of guys to establish himself as a legitimate threat for Pac.

Pac-Kirkland for the undisputed 154 title...that sounds fun to me.

Black
EAlbian
QUOTE (SmartyBeardo @ Oct 15 2010, 05:55 AM) *
Not bad. I don't think it should be more than eight man though. How about . . .

Cotto v Dzinziruk
Martirosyan v Alvarez
Cintron v K-9
Mosley v Angulo

I like the idea of tournaments in every division. 4 man tournies. Both fights on the same night if not the same card. Winner v winner, loser v loser on the same card. If they were 8 man they could be simple single elim.

The reason i set it up the way i did is because some of the fighter could use more exposure to maximize the overall selling of the fight. Arum would never give Dzinziruk a shot at cotto because its all risk and no reward. Same thing with Alvarez v Martisoyan. Cintron doesn't deserve the easy pay day in k-9, k-9 is a Don King fighter so look for him to be matched with whoever Don King wants to sell him to which i would imagine would be Golden boy or Top rank because they got the loot.
EAlbian
QUOTE (blackbelt2003 @ Oct 15 2010, 04:11 AM) *
Well, the obvious thing would be for Pac to beat MArgarito and then take on Cotto in a rematch.

The first fight was highly entertaining and a big event, so a rematch would be a natural and would tie together two of the three belts.

I doubt Bundrage is a big enough name to warrant Pac taking him on so if we wanted the title to be unified fully we'd need a big name to knock Bundrage off the top spot. How about if Kirkland can come correct, destroy K-9 and another couple of guys to establish himself as a legitimate threat for Pac.

Black

Who said anything about Pac vs K-9?? Kirkland needs at least 3 fights before that fight could even be thought of, the man hasnt even fought a legit top 10 guy yet let alone fight in the last year. Let Kirkland get the rust off then dust k-9 and then look for Cotto or maybe Alvarez or Mosley(if he's still around next year)
BrutalBodyShots
QUOTE (blackbelt2003 @ Oct 15 2010, 05:11 AM) *

Why would anyone want to see a rematch of something so one sided?
EAlbian
QUOTE (BrutalBodyShots @ Oct 15 2010, 09:57 AM) *

Agreed, i'd rather see Pac fight Timothy Bradley if he gets past Alexander or Berto
blackbelt2003
QUOTE (BrutalBodyShots @ Oct 15 2010, 03:57 PM) *

Well for one, to unify the belts, which should be top priority in every division, and two because although one sided, it was one hell of an entertaining one sided beatdown.

I'd happily sit through the FIRST fight fight again, knowing the result and what happens, let alone a second instalment.

Black
Hittman25
people are proly gonna hate me for saying this but i dont care.....but i would wanna see win or lose margrito vs cotto for cottos title....if u look it up WBA ranks margrito as the number 1 contender for the title but more than that its revenge time i think cotto should avenge his first loss... i would pay to see it if i had to....also i would wanna see saul alvarez vs julio ceasar chavez jr....powell vs k9......manny needs to fight floyd so i wont even put him in the equation but i would wanna see him fight shane just because thats the only name missin from his record lol

......side note u look at manny record the only big names hes missin are paul williams maywheather shane mosely and margrtio... if u look at these guys records they all have eachother there one way or another...mayhwheather looks like a punk man....he dont have cotto margrito pwill all he has is a untouched ricky hatton and deigo corrales and an old mosely....castillo is good name too but thats it...he tryed to put juan manuel marquez in there but if he wanted that to mean anything he should have fought him at 135....idk i dont care what ne says floyd fights who he wants to fight....he duznt fight nebody for ne good reason other than to get rich...he coulda made much more money fighting cotto or margrtio when they were at the top of the welterweight division and shane too at that time
EAlbian
QUOTE (blackbelt2003 @ Oct 15 2010, 11:18 AM) *
Well for one, to unify the belts, which should be top priority in every division, and two because although one sided, it was one hell of an entertaining one sided beatdown.

I'd happily sit through the FIRST fight fight again, knowing the result and what happens, let alone a second instalment.

Black

You make it seem as though the only belts are those of Cotto and Pac. Pac is inheriting a vacated title if he beats Margs. K-9 and Dzinzurik both have titles at 154 so that would also be a unification. Pac should fight the guy at 154 that clears out the division. He should be looking for Mayweather, Martinez, Williams or at worst Berto or Mosley. Cotto needs to earn the right for a rematch and beating Yuri Foreman is far from enough. A tournament would assure the best fighting the best and work for an heir apparent to the 154/160 future picture
blackbelt2003
QUOTE (EAlbian @ Oct 15 2010, 06:09 PM) *
You make it seem as though the only belts are those of Cotto and Pac. Pac is inheriting a vacated title if he beats Margs. K-9 and Dzinzurik both have titles at 154 so that would also be a unification. Pac should fight the guy at 154 that clears out the division. He should be looking for Mayweather, Martinez, Williams or at worst Berto or Mosley. Cotto needs to earn the right for a rematch and beating Yuri Foreman is far from enough. A tournament would assure the best fighting the best and work for an heir apparent to the 154/160 future picture

I mentioned Bundrage's IBF title in my earlier post, but I don't think K-9 carries enough of a rep to make a unification fight viable. Perhaps if someone with a bigger name could dethrone him then it would work.

And I won't even attempt to call the WBO a world title belt and keep a straight face.

As for Pac fighting the guy who cleans out the division, I'm hoping Pac IS the guy who clears it out, because I can't see the others having enough steam to do it, both physically, financially or ambition-wise.

Black
BrutalBodyShots
QUOTE (blackbelt2003 @ Oct 15 2010, 12:18 PM) *

Black

Well to me, better, competitive fights take precedence over "belts" or unifications... and Pac-Cotto isn't a competitive fight. I think the only people that would enjoy seeing that are those that dislike Cotto or just love seeing Pac beat someone down. Nothing wrong with that, but certainly there are far better fights to be made as other have mentioned in this thread. Very rarely do we see rematches of incredibly one sided beat downs, and for good reason as the result is a foregone conclusion.
blackbelt2003
QUOTE (BrutalBodyShots @ Oct 15 2010, 06:48 PM) *
Well to me, better, competitive fights take precedence over "belts" or unifications... and Pac-Cotto isn't a competitive fight. I think the only people that would enjoy seeing that are those that dislike Cotto or just love seeing Pac beat someone down. Nothing wrong with that, but certainly there are far better fights to be made as other have mentioned in this thread. Very rarely do we see rematches of incredibly one sided beat downs, and for good reason as the result is a foregone conclusion.

I agree to an extent but, to me, the more belts are unified the more the competitive fights work themselves out. Conversely, the more belts available to fight for, the more excuses fighters have to avoid each other, so in an ideal world, the unification matches get made, and then the competitive fights have to happen, so long as the champion doesn't avoid everyone and give his belts up.

I don't like the whole 'belts mean nothing' argument...it's how modern fighters like Mayweather et al get to avoid each other for so long whilst still proclaiming greatness.

Black
Fitz
QUOTE (blackbelt2003 @ Oct 16 2010, 05:38 AM) *
I don't like the whole 'belts mean nothing' argument...it's how modern fighters like Mayweather et al get to avoid each other for so long whilst still proclaiming greatness.

Hit the nail on the head. It becomes convenient.
BrutalBodyShots
I never made or will make the "belts mean nothing" argument... just that I'd take a better, competitive matchup over a less competitive foregone conclusion rematch of a one sided beatdown just to eliminate 1 guys belt.
Snoop
QUOTE (blackbelt2003 @ Oct 15 2010, 09:11 AM) *

Pac vs Kirkland...think how that would have sounded 2 years ago.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.