Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Battle of the Joes, Louis vs Frazier?
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
Nay_Sayer
How does this one play out?
Run and Gun Game Calls
Wow thats a great question. Let me think on this a bit, very good matchup
STEVENSKI
I think Joe has some success early & Joe manages to get the win.
gravytrain
Joe Louis by decapitation.
neophyte7
Louis was chinny... If Joe Frazier jumped him early he could get the early stoppage.... in a late fight Barrow wins yet Frazier had one helluva a chin...
SmartyBeardo
I think it is about to play out on The Classics Forum.

Tough one to call. Louis was not the destroyer that Foreman was and not as quick and slick as Ali. Frazier's chin was uncrackable under all but Foreman circumstances. Similar to Tyson, I would have to take Frazier in the initial battle but if they met again I think Louis would make the adjustments and overcome Smokin' Joe.
mexi-cutioner
Joe Frazier in a close one
JLUVBABY
frazier... as someone else said louis could be hurt if tagged and i cant say he fought someone with the power of smokin joe... and people forget at his prime frazier had plenty of speed and the biggest kicker is by time frazier started fighting the fight game had already evolved from the time louis fought... i see frazier jumpin on louis early and getting him out of there... problem with frazier is his short reign as champion... i think that gets him under rated as a champ but he would have been dangerous against most greats...
Snoop
QUOTE (STEVENSKI @ Oct 17 2010, 10:42 PM) *
I think Joe has some success early & Joe manages to get the win.

laugh.gif
TheFonz
Joe Louis would KO just about anybody that was going straight at him. Frazier would go straight at him. You see where I'm going with this.
SmartyBeardo
QUOTE (TheFonz @ Oct 19 2010, 09:05 AM) *
Joe Louis would KO just about anybody that was going straight at him. Frazier would go straight at him. You see where I'm going with this.

I think you need to (re)watch footage of Smokin' Joe at his best. While he was certainly one of the great pressure fighters of all time, I don't think you could call his attack "straight at him." Frazier had tremendous head and upper body movement and he was just short of lightning quick in his prime.
TheFonz
QUOTE (SmartyBeardo @ Oct 22 2010, 11:52 AM) *
I think you need to (re)watch footage of Smokin' Joe at his best. While he was certainly one of the great pressure fighters of all time, I don't think you could call his attack "straight at him." Frazier had tremendous head and upper body movement and he was just short of lightning quick in his prime.

I'm not taking anything away from Frazier, but his style would be playing right into Louis' strengths.
SmartyBeardo
QUOTE (TheFonz @ Oct 22 2010, 09:27 AM) *
I'm not taking anything away from Frazier, but his style would be playing right into Louis' strengths.

I really can't pick a winner in this, although I have stated earlier that I think Frazier would win the first fight and Louis would win the rematch.

I understand your position but I think that Louis' style also plays into Frazier's strengths.
Nay_Sayer
Do we need to put up a poll?
gravytrain
I think Louis could make the adjustments to Frazier, Louis was tough enough to make it past the big shots of Frazier too. I see this fight in favor of Louis because he could parry and counter quite well. Frazier's best punch was the left hook and Louis was a master at parrying hooks and countering or simply countering while people tried to get him with hooks. His ability to do so in my opinion really limited the offense of his opponents, trying to hook with him meant being countered.

JonnyBlaze
QUOTE (gravytrain @ Oct 17 2010, 06:55 PM) *
Joe Louis by decapitation.

Agreed..Not much else to say..
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.