Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: What's going on with Cotto?
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
Fitz
For a while, there were talks about a fight with Chavez, then haven't heard much. I did a search to see if any news came up, and I found this. Apparently talks were for Cotto-Berto, but Arum said the fight was difficult to make. DiBella said it wasn't.

http://www.boxingscene.com/?m=show&id=32212

Anybody else heard anything about Cotto? I am guessing they probably aren't saying anything until Margarito-Pacquiao is done?
King Eugene
QUOTE (Fitz @ Nov 3 2010, 04:18 AM) *
For a while, there were talks about a fight with Chavez, then haven't heard much. I did a search to see if any news came up, and I found this. Apparently talks were for Cotto-Berto, but Arum said the fight was difficult to make. DiBella said it wasn't.

http://www.boxingscene.com/?m=show&id=32212

Anybody else heard anything about Cotto? I am guessing they probably aren't saying anything until Margarito-Pacquiao is done?

Haven't heard much but I wouldn't be surprised if he was first in line with a rematch of the winner of the Nov. 13th fight.
mexi-cutioner
Cotto vs Chavez Jr. early-mid 2011 and winner of Pac/Marg fights Berto next year????

imo, a unification bout between Pac and Berto is the only other fight at welter (other than floyd) that makes any sense and helllssssss naw is Roach or Arum putting their moneybag in the ring with PWill
The Ollie Reed Fan Club
QUOTE (mexi-cutioner @ Nov 3 2010, 03:34 AM) *
Cotto vs Chavez Jr. early-mid 2011 and winner of Pac/Marg fights Berto next year????

imo, a unification bout between Pac and Berto is the only other fight at welter (other than floyd) that makes any sense and helllssssss naw is Roach or Arum putting their moneybag in the ring with PWill

And neither will Al Haymon put his money bag in with P-Will.
Snoop
Top Rank has put him on the shelf as punishment ever since he fucked up their plans with the Foreman fight.
salvador
QUOTE (King Eugene @ Nov 3 2010, 03:30 AM) *
Haven't heard much but I wouldn't be surprised if he was first in line with a rematch of the winner of the Nov. 13th fight.

I'd be shocked if he fought Pac again - particularly if Pac wins.

Cotto-Marg 2 (assuming Marg gets destroyed) would be an obvious choice because fans (and Cotto) would assume Marg used the wraps in the first fight and that Cotto would be coming for righteous revenge.

That said, Cotto-Angulo would be a big money maker for Cotto in a very winnable fight.

And Snoop, Foreman was never going to be a star and Top Rank knew it because he's not exciting and never will be. He was perfect for Cotto because he was light hitting and had a Jewish fan base in NYC that they could sell for a Yankee Stadium type of event.

Cotto is still a major draw and Arum will feed him medium-sized snacks as long as Cotto remains popular with the crowds and HBO.

When Cotto-Floyd is announced at 154, then you will know that Arum is finally cashing out on him. Not one minute sooner.

Snoop
QUOTE (salvador @ Nov 3 2010, 01:41 PM) *

Cotto-Marg 2 (assuming Marg gets destroyed) would be an obvious choice because fans (and Cotto) would assume Marg used the wraps in the first fight and that Cotto would be coming for righteous revenge.

That said, Cotto-Angulo would be a big money maker for Cotto in a very winnable fight.

And Snoop, Foreman was never going to be a star and Top Rank knew it because he's not exciting and never will be. He was perfect for Cotto because he was light hitting and had a Jewish fan base in NYC that they could sell for a Yankee Stadium type of event.

Cotto is still a major draw and Arum will feed him medium-sized snacks as long as Cotto remains popular with the crowds and HBO.

When Cotto-Floyd is announced at 154, then you will know that Arum is finally cashing out on him. Not one minute sooner.

I don't think they were planning to make a star out of Foreman, but he would have been an easier target with a belt for the stars of Top Rank.

Top Rank has been cashing out on Cotto for a while. That's probably why he doesn't have a fight right now.
TheFonz
QUOTE (salvador @ Nov 3 2010, 09:41 AM) *

I have pretty much given up on that fight ever happening.
salvador
QUOTE (Snoop @ Nov 3 2010, 10:11 AM) *
I don't think they were planning to make a star out of Foreman, but he would have been an easier target with a belt for the stars of Top Rank.

Could any of those other stars other than Pac have filled Yankee stadium?

Pac-Foreman would have been a major disappointment to all Pac fans.

I think Cotto-Foreman was a perfect money maker for Arum. It gave Foreman a high profile/big money fight that he couldn't have gotten anywhere else and set him up for a Chavez Jr. fight (meaning that Chavez Jr. is being fed an easy/semi-credible target). And it gave Cotto an easy win for big money - thus keeping Cotto happy and giving him a much needed confidence boost.

salvador
QUOTE (TheFonz @ Nov 3 2010, 10:20 AM) *

It won't. Nobody in Cotto's camp is that stupid. The only way it might happen is if Cotto is broke. If it does happen it will be a very sad day for boxing.
Snoop
QUOTE (salvador @ Nov 3 2010, 03:31 PM) *
Could any of those other stars other than Pac have filled Yankee stadium?

We're not arguing if there was a better opponent for Foreman, we're arguing if it would have been better for Top Rank had Foreman won.

Pac-Foreman would have been a major disappointment to all Pac fans.

I think Pac-Foreman would have been much more of an attraction if Foreman had a Cotto win under his belt because again, we're not arguing if there was a better opponent other than Cotto.

I think Cotto-Foreman was a perfect money maker for Arum. It gave Foreman a high profile/big money fight that he couldn't have gotten anywhere else and set him up for a Chavez Jr. fight (meaning that Chavez Jr. is being fed an easy/semi-credible target). And it gave Cotto an easy win for big money - thus keeping Cotto happy and giving him a much needed confidence boost.

Well, since we're not debating if there would have been a better opponent for Foreman, we're in total agreement then. Cotto-Foreman was the perfect money maker for Arum, but it would have been more of a money maker had Foreman won. That way they had an easy target with a 154lb strap that Pac hadn't fought yet. But they managed to make his upcoming fight against Margarito, a proven cheater who couldn't get licensed in some states, for a paper strap anyway.

Oh don't you just love Top Rank?
salvador
QUOTE (Snoop @ Nov 3 2010, 12:39 PM) *
I think Pac-Foreman would have been much more of an attraction if Foreman had a Cotto win under his belt because again, we're not arguing if there was a better opponent other than Cotto.

Oh don't you just love Top Rank?

I just don't think that Arum thought for a second that Foreman had a chance.

I kind of do love the idea that Arum clearly doesn't give a damn about what people think of him. He's about money above integrity and he won't even pretend otherwise. When a guy in his position is actually willing to represent a guy like Margarito that really is all anyone ever needs to know about him.
gravytrain
QUOTE (salvador @ Nov 3 2010, 02:37 PM) *

I kind of do love the idea that Arum clearly doesn't give a damn about what people think of him. He's about money above integrity and he won't even pretend otherwise. When a guy in his position is actually willing to represent a guy like Margarito that really is all anyone ever needs to know about him.

I love Arum. Especially when he said "Pac/Cotto 2 would be a good fight, Cotto has been working with a new trainer." then said "We're not pursuing Pac/Cotto 2, Cotto is working with a new trainer". Any time a promoter pitches a fight and shoots down a fight for the same reason you know he doesn't give a fuck.
gbh32001
QUOTE (salvador @ Nov 3 2010, 11:33 PM) *
It won't. Nobody in Cotto's camp is that stupid. The only way it might happen is if Cotto is broke. If it does happen it will be a very sad day for boxing.
Cotto is a prizefighter, if he gets Floyd before Khan or Pac it's an all win-win situation for him and the boxing world.
streetlion1
I heard Cotto vs Chavez Jr early next year but Cotto vs Mayweather is a fight I wanna see. After Floyd destroys Pac-Roid he should fight Cotto.
gravytrain
QUOTE (streetlion1 @ Nov 3 2010, 04:51 PM) *
I heard Cotto vs Chavez Jr early next year but Cotto vs Mayweather is a fight I wanna see. After Floyd destroys Pac-Roid he should fight Cotto.

Wouldn't surprise me if Arum made it a TR PPV.

Why you want to see Cotto fight Mayweather? That would be boring. If it were Cotto from back in the day it'd be one thing but Cotto would probably gas in round 8 and slowly coast to decision these days. That and his pace has slowed down too much to really press Mayweather.
Snoop
QUOTE (salvador @ Nov 3 2010, 08:37 PM) *

Fair enough. I thought he did, but you're of course entitled to your opinion.

I mean I can respect the "not giving a damn" part of Arum, but his not giving a damn is kind of fucking up the sport of boxing. At least in my opinion.
BoxingStill#1
QUOTE (TheFonz @ Nov 3 2010, 11:20 AM) *

sadly,.... this fight will never happen
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.