Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Jose Sulaiman Remains WBC President (Updated)
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
Romulus9
Okay, I admit I didn't see that coming.

Courtesy of FightNews:

After more words amongst involved promoters, Don King, Tom Loeffler and Ahmet Öner, President Sulaiman took the microphone and emotionally abdicated his 35-year presidency to the astonishment of the gathered attendees. He rose from his seat on the dais, declared that he was resigning immediately as president and that the meeting would resume in 90 minutes, at which time the head microphone would be helmed by someone else. Don King then bellowed that he too was finished with boxing, at which time the room emptied. Loeffler, Öner and King accompanied Sulaiman to his suite, in an effort to iron things out and perhaps to encourage the long reigning president to have a change of heart. More to come…

So, any guesses on how long it will be until the pending criminal charges are revealed? That, or a medical issue, are probably the only two things that could bring this about.

Maybe they can dig up Robert W. Lee to replace him...
Jack 1000
QUOTE (Romulus9 @ Nov 3 2010, 05:47 PM) *
Okay, I admit I didn't see that coming.

Courtesy of FightNews:

So, any guesses on how long it will be until the pending criminal charges are revealed? That, or a medical issue, are probably the only two things that could bring this about.

Maybe they can dig up Robert W. Lee to replace him...

And what is interesting is that despite all of the WBC's ratings corruption and favoritism to Mexican champions and contenders, Suliman to some credit did a good job of promoting fighter safety and bringing boxing to an international level better than the head-honchos of the WBA, WBO, and IBF. Their have been rumors of him stepping down for several years. Best guess is probably medical. Could be age too. Hated his Open Scoring proposal and all the ABC Non-title belts. However, many good boxing people still attended the WBC Conventions year after year. We take the good with the bad.

If this is true, there's certainly a lot of influence that Jose had over boxing. In my past dealings with the sanctioning bodies, I always found the WBC to be the most open and communicative. If the story is true, I would suspect that son Mauricio will assume presidential duties.

Jack
Romulus9
QUOTE (Jack 1000 @ Nov 3 2010, 11:12 PM) *
And what is interesting is that despite all of the WBC's ratings corruption and favoritism to Mexican champions and contenders, Suliman to some credit did a good job of promoting fighter safety and bringing boxing to an international level better than the head-honchos of the WBA, WBO, and IBF. Their have been rumors of him stepping down for several years. Best guess is probably medical. Could be age too. Hated his Open Scoring proposal and all the ABC Non-title belts. However, many good boxing people still attended the WBC Conventions year after year. We take the good with the bad.

If this is true, there's certainly a lot of influence that Jose had over boxing. In my past dealings with the sanctioning bodies, I always found the WBC to be the most open and communicative. If the story is true, I would suspect that son Mauricio will assume presidential duties.

Jack

There IS an update.

The board refused to accept Sulaiman's resignation. He came back in and apologized for his outburst, then said something or other about the WBC's finances.

The ratings nonsense and the open scoring stuff is just awful. AWFUL. I still consider the WBO the best run of the 'big 4' but that's not saying a whole lot. I like the way the IBO does things very much.
JLUVBABY
QUOTE (Romulus9 @ Nov 3 2010, 10:24 PM) *
There IS an update.

The board refused to accept Sulaiman's resignation. He came back in and apologized for his outburst, then said something or other about the WBC's finances.

The ratings nonsense and the open scoring stuff is just awful. AWFUL. I still consider the WBO the best run of the 'big 4' but that's not saying a whole lot. I like the way the IBO does things very much.

id like to see at least two of the world sanctioning bodies merge if not all 4... there are two many champions... there should be 1 man in each division holding the throne...
gravytrain
QUOTE (JLUVBABY @ Nov 3 2010, 11:42 PM) *
id like to see at least two of the world sanctioning bodies merge if not all 4... there are two many champions... there should be 1 man in each division holding the throne...

I don't think any of them would ever go for it, all those guys want their money for fights.
Jack 1000
From Reuters News Services: Suliman's resignation refused by WBC Board of Governors. Issues of WBC Finances:

http://in.reuters.com/article/idINIndia-52660920101104

The issues were also apparently according to Fight News over Vitali Klitschko's title defenses. Here is more information:

http://www.fightnews.com/Boxing/vitali-def...5587#more-65587

Jack
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.