Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: HBO and the State of Boxing
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
Method
HBO and the State of Boxing

By Thomas Hauser

There was a time when the “Sweet Science” was governed by the axiom, “As the heavyweight division goes, so goes boxing.” Now, in the United States, the rule of thumb is, “As HBO goes, so goes boxing.”

No network has ever been associated with a sport to the degree that HBO is associated with boxing. And no network has ever set the agenda for a sport to the extent that HBO sets the agenda for boxing.

HBO has the single biggest boxing budget in the world.

It’s one of the few places that a fighter and promoter can go to make big money in the United States and, for many Americans, their only exposure to boxing. Indeed, most of the public and media are unaware of a fighter’s existence unless he fights on HBO.

Most big fights in the United States happen if and when HBO chooses to televise them.

In most sports, athletes with talent succeed. In boxing, a good or bad manager, a powerful or weak promoter, a competent or incompetent matchmaker can spell the difference between success and failure. But the most dominant force of all is HBO.

That sort of power demands scrutiny. Indeed, one can make a case that, while HBO’s primary obligations are to its subscribers and Time Warner shareholders, it also has a fiduciary obligation to boxing by virtue of its power.

This article is long. It will be posted in three parts over a three-day period. No one is required to read it. Anyone who’s concerned about the future of boxing might take the time to do so...

http://www.maxboxing.com/news/main-lead/hb...xing--part-one1

Part 2: http://www.maxboxing.com/news/promo-lead/h...xing--part-two1

Part 3: http://www.maxboxing.com/news/main-lead/hb...ng--part-three1

Long one. Printed it out...gonna dig into it now. Shld be good.
Jack 1000
Great stuff!

I always respected Tom Hauser's work. He wrote, The Black Lights, which is another great boxing read. Thanks Method!

Jack
mexi-cutioner
It was an excellent article, and it makes sense considering all the Golden Boy signings as of late and Al Haymon fighters taking up the spotlight on HBO. With that being said, I feel there was substantial bias in his article as many of his sources (especially in part 1) referenced Bob Arum, who would undoubtedly shine a negative light onto Golden Boy's spotlight as they are his main opposition in the boxing promoting biz. And unless someone can correct me, I don't think Haymon represents any notable fighters under the Top Rank banner.

He ended off with a piece of rhetoric that makes u think as it is true that boxing needs HBO and Showtime more than they need boxing. Makes u wonder as to what changes will occur within the next few years, If i was Greenburg and serious about the success of boxing on his netwrok, I would threaten GP and Top Rank to make a Pac-Mayweather fight b4 their contract runs up in 2012 or else they won't renew. It'll definitely put GP and Top Rank in a difficult situationa dn would more than likely force the fight to happen which is what boxing needs
mexi-cutioner
HBO shouldn't be wasting their time qwith Guerrero/Escobedo and Judah/Matthysse. If shit was right in the game HBO would be showcasing the Green/Johnson and Lopez/Raf Marquez fight it makes me sad that the Marquez and Vasquez didn't get the justice it deserved like it would if it was showcased on HBO
sweetscientist1
QUOTE (Method @ Nov 4 2010, 11:47 AM) *
Long one. Printed it out...gonna dig into it now. Shld be good.

Seems like HBO and Showtime are really re-evaluating whether they should even have boxing. Since the end of the Tyson & ODLH eras, boxing just ain't that lucrative for HBO and Showtime. Seems our PPV don't really mean shit. Rather than grow the sport, promoters are out to command and control. This is what the sport is about, not the fighters. The fighter are thirdendary after promoters and HBO dates. Than will go get a fighter. Probably any tomato can that can stand in for a few rounds with Pac or Pavlik or whoever. I think Levy at Turner Sports would do a hellava lot better job than Ross Greenburg and all his non-boxing people. These people don't give a shit about the sport, they just look at revenue. It's time for somebody who knows how to care about the Sweet Science to actually run this sport. for HBO to broker out it's Boxing agenda and operations to Turner sports wold be the best thing that can happen. Turner has a real sports dept with knowledgable individuals who actually love sports. Unlike Turner. at the fight parties alot of HBO crew will even tell you there's someplace else they would rather be.
Jack 1000
QUOTE (mexi-cutioner @ Nov 4 2010, 05:12 PM) *
HBO shouldn't be wasting their time qwith Guerrero/Escobedo and Judah/Matthysse. If shit was right in the game HBO would be showcasing the Green/Johnson and Lopez/Raf Marquez fight it makes me sad that the Marquez and Vasquez didn't get the justice it deserved like it would if it was showcased on HBO

True,

I think Judah is pretty much washed up. But as he is Max Kellerman's boyfriend, at least Max is still excited when he fights! LOL! But seriously, Showtime, with only few exceptions has been kicking HBO's ass for boxing. HBO has better movies and series. It used to be that HBO had the best boxing, but not anymore.

Jack
gbh32001
After Floyd and Pacquiao retires, are we going back to the stone age of boxing?Or the little men(118-147) will carry us for another long ride?
Method
I STILL havent finished reading it...been getting through it a bit here...a bit there...carrying all three parts stapled together and rolled up in my back pocket literally everywhere I go. About half way. Think I left the hard copy at work, so will finish it up online. Something about printing it out and reading it on the shitter though...
gravytrain
QUOTE (gbh32001 @ Nov 5 2010, 04:27 PM) *
After Floyd and Pacquiao retires, are we going back to the stone age of boxing?Or the little men(118-147) will carry us for another long ride?

When both of them retire promoters and networks will just build up other fighters.
gbh32001
QUOTE (gravytrain @ Nov 6 2010, 06:00 AM) *
When both of them retire promoters and networks will just build up other fighters.
That is atleast half decade job though..
JLUVBABY
QUOTE (gbh32001 @ Nov 5 2010, 05:57 PM) *
That is atleast half decade job though..

naw man... the boxers are available right now to keep the sport healthy if the promoters would stop protecting them... people know some of these fighters but the excitements leaves when the casual fans watch this talent fight no hopers over and over... when they understand that even if you lose if you make good fights you will be a commodity, people will want to see you and you will make the money they will continue to keep boxing in the lower realms of the sports world... at the end of the day people want to see good fights... thats what seperates the sport today from the 80's and 90's and the past years of the sport... you'd see fights like riddick bowe vs bruce seldon before they where even ranked contenders... just as an example... or fights on regular television like michael carbajal made a career on nbc for the most part... i watched him win his first title vs kittekasum on nbc... once they get back with the program and realize that at least in the growing stages their fighters need to take the short money, fight on nbc, abc cbs and make the fights prime time... they are missing the boat... last fighter i can think of that did this was tyson when he fought mathis on fox... ive said it before and ill say it again... greedy promoters are what keep the sport from growing to what it should be... the fighters are there.... each division is for the most part pretty strong except for the heavyweights... they are just a wasteland division... matter fact the klits need to do a double header on one of the local channels and fight showcase fighters... those guys would be so huge over here.... the casual fan would clamour to see them vs each other, which would never happen, but they could keep coming back... unless its haye those guys dont have a ppv opponent...
gbh32001
QUOTE (JLUVBABY @ Nov 6 2010, 07:10 AM) *
naw man... the boxers are available right now to keep the sport healthy if the promoters would stop protecting them... people know some of these fighters but the excitements leaves when the casual fans watch this talent fight no hopers over and over... when they understand that even if you lose if you make good fights you will be a commodity, people will want to see you and you will make the money they will continue to keep boxing in the lower realms of the sports world... at the end of the day people want to see good fights... thats what seperates the sport today from the 80's and 90's and the past years of the sport... you'd see fights like riddick bowe vs bruce seldon before they where even ranked contenders... just as an example... or fights on regular television like michael carbajal made a career on nbc for the most part... i watched him win his first title vs kittekasum on nbc... once they get back with the program and realize that at least in the growing stages their fighters need to take the short money, fight on nbc, abc cbs and make the fights prime time... they are missing the boat... last fighter i can think of that did this was tyson when he fought mathis on fox... ive said it before and ill say it again... greedy promoters are what keep the sport from growing to what it should be... the fighters are there.... each division is for the most part pretty strong except for the heavyweights... they are just a wasteland division... matter fact the klits need to do a double header on one of the local channels and fight showcase fighters... those guys would be so huge over here.... the casual fan would clamour to see them vs each other, which would never happen, but they could keep coming back... unless its haye those guys dont have a ppv opponent...
That's a big IF...
gravytrain
QUOTE (JLUVBABY @ Nov 5 2010, 06:10 PM) *

I think the biggest problem is just the PPV era in general. Promoters just want to build up one guy then put everything into him, then at the end of his career the promoter wants to cash him out and pass the reigns to the next star.

I don't think boxing will ever be without a main attraction though, boxing has always had one. I'm sure people wondered what would happen when Mayweather retired, I recall people even saying boxing would be dead those 2 years of retirement.. Then a promoter took advantage of the situation and made a P4P fighter into a star[Pac]. I think GBP will probably build Canelos American fan base up on Mayweather's under cards, Khan's too if he keeps winning. I wouldn't be surprised to see Arum try to cash Pac out though.
sweetscientist1
QUOTE (Jack 1000 @ Nov 5 2010, 12:41 PM) *
True,

I think Judah is pretty much washed up. But as he is Max Kellerman's boyfriend, at least Max is still excited when he fights! LOL! But seriously, Showtime, with only few exceptions has been kicking HBO's ass for boxing. HBO has better movies and series. It used to be that HBO had the best boxing, but not anymore.

Jack

That's because zab is a NYC Golden Gloves legens and Max used to fight Gloden Gloves and they're both from NYC where they've known each other for years.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.