Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: What will it take for Juan Manuel Lopez to be a superstar in America?
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
glennhallet
We know he is up there in the boxing stratosphere because we can definitely hear his punches as they land. But unless you are a diehard, it is hard to get a fix on exactly where he is. Most consider him a talented fighter who is on the verge of superstar status, but the casual fan is finding it hard to pinpoint his exact location.

The names Gomez, Trinidad and Cotto were and still are names that the casual fan can recognize. Why isnít Juanma? Ask any Puerto Rican and he can tell you who he is. But the answer is a little bit different here in America.

Friends of mine, who generally know a little bit about boxing, can tell me about Sanchez versus Gomez, Trinidad versus Vargas and Cotto versus
http://www.boxingnotes.com/Juan_Lopez.html
kidbazooka1
keep winning in impressive fashion and move up and conitnue to win.

I do believe he'll become a bigger star in the US maybe not as big as Tito but more like a Cotto.
lloyd mayflower
He will probably have to beat some well known Americans to get really well known? Not sure if anyone fits the bill around his division.
King Eugene
TIME.....and more KO's
Fitz
Move up in weight class. It also depends on what you mean by 'superstar'?

If it's the true definition, I don't think he will be ever. But could you give an example on someone you call a 'superstar'? Because it could be being used loosely or some may have different definitions.

Just remember that Pacquiao wasn't a 'superstar' when he had wins over Barrera, Morales and Marquez. He only became that star when he moved up and beat DLH. Darchinyan another guy who puts on fan friendly fights, fights champions, knocks people out and became undisputed isn't a superstar either. Very hard for the little guys.
salvador
If Marquez and Vasquez couldn't do it after their 4 fights, Lopez will never do it - at least not in the ring. He seems to have a likable personality and I'd bet that his fight with Gamboa next June will attract a lot of PR fans - maybe even in MSG - and maybe that will end up being a spectacular trilogy.

Tito and Cotto both had stars to fight. That said, I could easily see Lopez becoming rich on a steady diet of semi-known fighters like Caballero or De Leon on Showtime.

mexi-cutioner
It'll be good for both Gamboa and JuanMa to get some serious airtime on HBO against quality opponents b4 they fight. I still think they need more exposure amongst mainstream fans. Hopefully the Gamboa-John fight goes off as expected and IF (big if) Marquez actually did sustain a shoulder injury that impeded his ability to perform, then I wouldn't mind Lopez-Marquez II early next year consdiering how entertaining it was while it lasted. Other options that could test Lopez b4 a Gamboa rematch are Jhonny Gonzalez, Billy Dib or Miguel Garcia--all have the makings to make an entertaining bout that would require Lopez to be in top shape for
oozemcbuck
He definetly has to learn to speak english. He's a very likable dude and charismatic. Cotto was always the quiet type, even in PR. But, like someone mentioned, he's gonna have to fight other "big names", and right now the lower classes don't really have someone people in the US can get attached to. Gamboa will be a GREAT fight, but he's not really known outside of diehards.
kidbazooka1
QUOTE (oozemcbuck @ Nov 11 2010, 01:15 PM) *
He definetly has to learn to speak english. He's a very likable dude and charismatic. Cotto was always the quiet type, even in PR. But, like someone mentioned, he's gonna have to fight other "big names", and right now the lower classes don't really have someone people in the US can get attached to. Gamboa will be a GREAT fight, but he's not really known outside of diehards.

I disagree i don't think he needs to learn english to be a star. Trinidad and Chavez Sr. were both huge and neither knew a word of english.

As long as he keeps on winning and being invlovle in the type of fight like last weekends he'll get bigger no dount in mind.
Fitz
QUOTE (kidbazooka1 @ Nov 12 2010, 12:31 PM) *
I disagree i don't think he needs to learn english to be a star. Trinidad and Chavez Sr. were both huge and neither knew a word of english.

As long as he keeps on winning and being invlovle in the type of fight like last weekends he'll get bigger no dount in mind.

Though like it's been mentioned, they are bigger guys fighting in a division and fighting guys that the general public are interested in. Someone mentioned earlier that Marquez and Vaszquez NEVER became superstars and look at what show they put on. Pacquiao wasn't a superstar when he had wins over Barrera, Morales and Marquez. He only became a true superstar after that.
Darchinyan who is fan friendly, is an undisputed champion is not a superstar.
I think it's unfair as the smaller guys now I think are better fighters that the guys in the higher weight class, but public just don't get interested in these small guys. I doubt Lopez ever becomes a superstar unless he can move up pretty high or do something really special.
Hoodlum
A chin
kidbazooka1
QUOTE (Hoodlum @ Nov 11 2010, 10:29 PM) *
A chin

Haha

He has an ok chin i mean yes he got hurt by Marquez who's a pretty damn good puncher himself even at FW but atleast he didn't go down just like with Mtagwa he was hurt(really bad)but he never went down that took heart and a chin.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.