Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: X-Treme fight club
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
STEVENSKI
This is a article from the Sydney papers

WHEN Abo Henry was fighting on the club circuit, the going rate was $49 a fight. Entirely legal, but it didn't pay a lot.

"That's why I had to start jumping counters," he said.

That was not so legal.

Regardless, Graham "Abo" Henry has paid his debt, as they say, and after 13 trouble-free years he finds himself, in a way, back where it all began.

Henry and partner Nathan Swadling are about to launch X-Treme Fight Club.

It is a new form of fighting, as close to a street fight as they could get. The rules were sanctioned by the NSW Combat Sports Authority two weeks ago and next week they will meet with Main Event over plans for their first pay-per-view promotion.

It'll be 10 good heavyweights fighting through on a knockout basis, with $50,000 to the winner at the end of the night.

"This is what people want," Abo said. "It's like the old schoolyard days, when you said 'Come on, let's go'.

"If I could have done something like this when I was 25, 30, I would have been in it in a flash."

Neddy Smith still holds the title as Sydney's best street fighter, a fair achievement when you consider the pedigree. Abo never saw him knocked off his feet.

But Abo held him to an honourable draw when Smith landed four early one night after their relationship soured.

Abo was too busy trying to pull the shiv from his pants to defend himself properly.

Moments later Abo claimed the honourable draw when he returned with a shotgun and Smith fled.

He knows a thing or two about how to settle a fight.

X-Treme Fight Club is almost as basic.

The rules are designed to attract the fans of mixed martial arts who can't quite get into two fighters going to ground to wrestle.

"There's no kicking, no elbows and no knees," Swadling said.

When the fighters go to ground - and they are encouraged to slam their opponents - the referee will stand them up so they can go again.

No wrestling to slow the action. No intricate grappling that the untrained can't understand.

Some weeks back a handful of fighters got together at a gym and whaled away under the new rules, asking afterwards where they sign up.

X-Treme Fight Club's rules were sanctioned on Wednesday under the guise of modified Thai boxing.

While the planned heavyweight fight will be fought under an amateur licence, "they can still give prizemoney away" said the NSW Combat Sports Authority's Craig Waller.

It features five divisions: heavyweight (100kg+), cruiserweight (100kg), light-heavyweight (90kg), middleweight (80kg) and lightweight (70kg). They plan to fill the eight-man card with three boxers and three mixed martial artists.

The hope is that boxers such as Kali Meehan and John Hopoate will be enticed by the $50,000 prizemoney.

MMA star Lucas Browne came out of the trial looking for a start.

Perhaps best of all are their plans for the final two punchers in the eight- man field.

They are looking for some of Sydney's meanest, the kind of blokes who want a chance at $50,000 for something they normally do for eight bucks an hour.

"We want to attract a heap of street fighters," Swadling said.

Every doorman in the city has an open invitation to trial for the remaining two spots.

For those who like a little blood in their coffee, you'd pay just to see that.

I like the idea of this. No wrestling, no kneeing, no elbowing just a bloody toughman contest.

Thoughts?

AussieLad
I wonder if we are talking bare fisted or with gloves? And if there are gloves, what sort of gloves, mma or boxing? The way they are talking, it almost sounds bare knuckle. The thing about MMA, i think sometimes its better to get taken down and pounded out than stood back up after a knockdown only to repeat the process.

And when they say streetfighters, do they really expect some dude of the street to compete in what sounds like bare knuckle boxing with professionals and/or stick to a gameplan? Or have a gameplan? LOL

I have no doubt it would be entertaining to watch. Two thumbs up
gravytrain
Sounds pretty extreme.
STEVENSKI
QUOTE (AussieLad @ Nov 12 2010, 09:20 PM) *
I wonder if we are talking bare fisted or with gloves? And if there are gloves, what sort of gloves, mma or boxing? The way they are talking, it almost sounds bare knuckle. The thing about MMA, i think sometimes its better to get taken down and pounded out than stood back up after a knockdown only to repeat the process.

And when they say streetfighters, do they really expect some dude of the street to compete in what sounds like bare knuckle boxing with professionals and/or stick to a gameplan? Or have a gameplan? LOL

I have no doubt it would be entertaining to watch. Two thumbs up

I believe it is using MMA gloves. Basically a toughman contest open to anyone who wants to enter. I think they are having tryouts that are open & they will pick the contenders. I know Abo is a very tough mofo & a top level crim involved in major heroin distribution, armed robberies & protection. He was so hooked up with the pigs he used to do "drug raids" with them on his competitors & not only steal their gear but then "sort out" their pending charges for money & split it with the cops.

It is not about gameplans it is about providing a more primal bloodsport for people like me to enjoy.
AussieLad
QUOTE (STEVENSKI @ Nov 13 2010, 01:32 AM) *
I believe it is using MMA gloves. Basically a toughman contest open to anyone who wants to enter. I think they are having tryouts that are open & they will pick the contenders. I know Abo is a very tough mofo & a top level crim involved in major heroin distribution, armed robberies & protection. He was so hooked up with the pigs he used to do "drug raids" with them on his competitors & not only steal their gear but then "sort out" their pending charges for money & split it with the cops.

It is not about gameplans it is about providing a more primal bloodsport for people like me to enjoy.

hahaha ok, so i will change my verdict to 4 thumbs up (inbreeding sometimes has its advantages)
AussieLad
QUOTE (SmartyBeardo @ Nov 13 2010, 05:27 AM) *
How bout we stick your hero Abo in a closed circuit cage and we have a lottery for who gets to blow his fucking head off?

Will a whipsmash deathpunch work over that distance?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.