Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Roger Mayweather quote front page
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
salvador
"They won't let Margarito put no weight on" - Roger Mayweather

Percy Crawford's interpretation of that quote was that there may be a clause in the contract that prohibits Marg from gaining too much weight between the weigh in and the fight. Is that even remotely possible? If it is, then I think it should absolutely be legally required for it to be disclosed to the betting public (or anyone who pays for this thing).

Roger is obviously a loose canon, but at the same time I'd like to know if there has EVER been such a contract anywhere in boxing. If so, and if there is one in this fight, then this whole thing just stinks. It's enough of a disadvantage for Marg to be coming in at 150 in the first place. I am, of course, taking this with a grain of salt because Roger also suggested that DLH would have signed a similar contract - obviously there's no chance that DLH would EVER EVER EVER sign something so stupid.

I'm on the edge of putting some more money on Marg by stoppage in the late rounds (+3000 per round in rounds 9-12). But if there really is a clause like that then Pac won't need steroids. I can't think of another sport where there could possibly be a concern about things like this.

And the fact that Roach is gloating about the 8th title this represents when there's a catchweight is almost sad.

oozemcbuck
QUOTE (salvador @ Nov 13 2010, 10:25 AM) *

Percy Crawford's interpretation of that quote was that there may be a clause in the contract that prohibits Marg from gaining too much weight between the weigh in and the fight. Is that even remotely possible? If it is, then I think it should absolutely be legally required for it to be disclosed to the betting public (or anyone who pays for this thing).

Roger is obviously a loose canon, but at the same time I'd like to know if there has EVER been such a contract anywhere in boxing. If so, and if there is one in this fight, then this whole thing just stinks. It's enough of a disadvantage for Marg to be coming in at 150 in the first place. I am, of course, taking this with a grain of salt because Roger also suggested that DLH would have signed a similar contract - obviously there's no chance that DLH would EVER EVER EVER sign something so stupid.

I'm on the edge of putting some more money on Marg by stoppage in the late rounds (+3000 per round in rounds 9-12). But if there really is a clause like that then Pac won't need steroids. I can't think of another sport where there could possibly be a concern about things like this.

And the fact that Roach is gloating about the 8th title this represents when there's a catchweight is almost sad.

I heard there was something that said Cotto couldn't re-hydrate more than 147 on fight night when they fought. Don't know if it's true but I wouldn't doubt it.....
D-MARV
Not the first time I heard that this clause was included. I mean, De La Hoya only gained 2 pounds overnight... That was stupid.
Method
QUOTE (salvador @ Nov 13 2010, 09:25 AM) *

Percy Crawford's interpretation of that quote was that there may be a clause in the contract that prohibits Marg from gaining too much weight between the weigh in and the fight. Is that even remotely possible? If it is, then I think it should absolutely be legally required for it to be disclosed to the betting public (or anyone who pays for this thing)...If so, and if there is one in this fight, then this whole thing just stinks. It's enough of a disadvantage for Marg to be coming in at 150 in the first place. I am, of course, taking this with a grain of salt because Roger also suggested that DLH would have signed a similar contract - obviously there's no chance that DLH would EVER EVER EVER sign something so stupid....And the fact that Roach is gloating about the 8th title this represents when there's a catch-weight is almost sad.
There is ABSOLUTELY NO WAY there is a clause in the contract that Margarito CAN NOT put on "X" amt of weight after the weigh-in WITHOUT it being publicly disclosed.

Vegas odds alone would have to disclose that.
salvador
QUOTE (D-MARV @ Nov 13 2010, 12:01 PM) *
Not the first time I heard that this clause was included. I mean, De La Hoya only gained 2 pounds overnight... That was stupid.

It might have been stupid for DLH, but was it contractually required?

When else have you heard of this kind of clause? I'm very curious. And I think that the promoter has an obligation to the fans - particularly the gamblers - to disclose such a clause.

salvador
QUOTE (Method @ Nov 13 2010, 12:30 PM) *
There is ABSOLUTELY NO WAY there is a clause in the contract that Margarito CAN NOT put on "X" amt of weight after the weigh-in WITHOUT it being publicly disclosed.

Vegas odds alone would have to disclose that.

thank you.

that seems incredibly basic, but this is boxing.
sweetscientist1
QUOTE (salvador @ Nov 13 2010, 09:25 AM) *

I could definitely see Oscar signing that catchweight agreement all the way to fight time for 15% of Pac forever. ODLH probably didn't have any issues with it if he did it. I wouldn't. ODLH figured Pac was naturally the smaller man. I bet he didn't have a problem with it. If that's the case.
salvador
QUOTE (sweetscientist1 @ Nov 13 2010, 01:40 PM) *
I could definitely see Oscar signing that catchweight agreement all the way to fight time for 15% of Pac forever. ODLH probably didn't have any issues with it if he did it. I wouldn't. ODLH figured Pac was naturally the smaller man. I bet he didn't have a problem with it. If that's the case.

DLH is still worth 10 Pacs. DLH would never step into the ring at a disadvantage because he doesn't have to. Pac was chasing him for the paycheck, not the other way around.

sweetscientist1
QUOTE (salvador @ Nov 13 2010, 12:49 PM) *
DLH is still worth 10 Pacs. DLH would never step into the ring at a disadvantage because he doesn't have to. Pac was chasing him for the paycheck, not the other way around.

Getting 15% of Pac for the rest of his career is a hellava investment to make for 147lbs. Put it this way: If you were ODLH and knew you had your best years at 125 - 147lbs, why would you be real concerned about a guy who was a natural at 110lbs?
sweetscientist1
QUOTE (salvador @ Nov 13 2010, 12:32 PM) *
thank you.

that seems incredibly basic, but this is boxing.

You would think!
Snoop
I'd like to hear from Hype or Perc to see if there was any truth to what Roger said.
True-Boxing-Fan
I dont give any credibility to what a Mayweather says, especially Roger. Its all hot air they talking and none of it you can take serious. What quality information does a Mayweather bring when they are interviewed anyways?
gbh32001
QUOTE (True-Boxing-Fan @ Nov 14 2010, 03:35 AM) *
I dont give any credibility to what a Mayweather says, especially Roger. Its all hot air they talking and none of it you can take serious. What quality information does a Mayweather bring when they are interviewed anyways?
Now that we got Margarito at 165lbs, Roger maybe thinking another slander now.
Snoop
Well, Roger was obviously wrong.
thehype
In a fight contracted at 150 pounds, why would Manny Pacquiao suck down to 144 only to rehydrate to 148 the next day?

dntknw.gif
STEVENSKI
QUOTE (thehype @ Nov 15 2010, 10:02 AM) *
In a fight contracted at 150 pounds, why would Manny Pacquiao suck down to 144 only to rehydrate to 148 the next day?

dntknw.gif

Because he wanted better odds to back him self with?
thehype
QUOTE (STEVENSKI @ Nov 14 2010, 06:43 PM) *
Because he wanted better odds to back him self with?

laugh.gif

That's certainly a possibility I suppose.
sweetscientist1
QUOTE (True-Boxing-Fan @ Nov 13 2010, 03:35 PM) *

Say what you want about Roger man. It don't matter. all I know is the $250.00 I spent at his gym 5 years back for a fat ol guy like me to get some grasp on the sweet science was a life changing experience for a week. Man I learned a hellava lot about spacing and being in the ready position to throw at all times. He also let me realize that I wasn't so bad in G.G's although I got my ass kicked all the time. I guess there's a reason for that and it had to do with my lack of foot work. But all in all when it comes to this sport Roger is more credible than most. I wish you guys could've known this cat in the 80's. He's a far cry from what we see now. This was an upbeat, articulate cat that was Full of Life. Boxing is a tough business and a lot of guys problems start after they're done boxing with time and money on their hands.
Method
QUOTE (thehype @ Nov 14 2010, 06:02 PM) *

dntknw.gif

What's the implication?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.