Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Cotto-Margarito II might be next
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
BigG
It might happen in Madison Square Garden....GREAT fight for both.
salvador
Is this info you've heard about or is it something you are speculating on? because I also assume it's next, but it would be interesting if it was already being negotiated.
Hittman25
I heard margrito is gonna be out for a while at least til next november
Snoop
Unless he is in dire need of money, Margarito needs to stay away from anyone with a remote ability to punch after that ass thrashing he took on Saturday.
Hittman25
Can ne one say justice served!
gbh32001
QUOTE (Hittman25 @ Nov 16 2010, 01:24 AM) *
Can ne one say justice served!
Nope, its other way around, instead of boxing punish Margarito they reward him with millions. I want to see that rematch and when Cotto beat that shit out of him@154 then i call it justice served.
KYLE THEEE SPINKS FAN
I'll still say it....Styles do make fights and I still think Margarito beats Cotto. Even after the two beatings he was just given, Cotto doesn't deal well with pressure fighters. Margarito was able to get to Pacquiao numerous times even with that huge speed difference. Cotto was able to look great against Foreman because Foreman didn't have the strength to put pressure on him and back him up. Maybe I'm sippin on the Margarito kool-aid again, but I'd still love to see the fight.
gravytrain
damn, kyle. who got you?
The Ollie Reed Fan Club
QUOTE (KYLE THEEE SPINKS FAN @ Nov 17 2010, 06:43 PM) *
I'll still say it....Styles do make fights and I still think Margarito beats Cotto. Even after the two beatings he was just given, Cotto doesn't deal well with pressure fighters. Margarito was able to get to Pacquiao numerous times even with that huge speed difference. Cotto was able to look great against Foreman because Foreman didn't have the strength to put pressure on him and back him up. Maybe I'm sippin on the Margarito kool-aid again, but I'd still love to see the fight.

I don't think you'd have to sipping the Margarito Kool Aid to think he beats Cotto. Tony's style will always be wrong for Cotto IMHO.

Cotto HATES pessure fighters, guys that will make him think and fight for a full 3 minutes of every round. They don't even have to be particularly well schooled fighters, as long as they exert the pressure he will inevitably fold. It's a shame and I would LOVE to see Cotto knock 7 shades of shit out of him in the rematch but I get the feeling if they do fight it will be the same result only more legit.
rusty_trombone
QUOTE (gravytrain @ Nov 17 2010, 08:20 PM) *
damn, kyle. who got you?

kyle bet on margarito and lost.
TheFonz
Manny Stewart can prepare Cotto to deal with Marg correctly. A few clinches here and there, and the fight is totally different. Not rocket science at all.
Hops
I've always thought after the Mosley incident that Margarito had loaded gloves against Cotto. But after Pacquiao, I am no sure anymore. Margarito managed to hurt Pacquiao despite landing few shots. Pacquiao was not himself during post-fight interviews, he was seen limping and supported by his wife, and he went to a hospital to have himself scanned.

Margarito will whoop Cotto's ass again if ever they fight.
gravytrain
Personally, I'd rather see Cotto get cashed out against Pac. I don't see Cotto having many more fights so it'd at least be nice to see dude get a good bit of money before he hangs them up. I've never been a huge fan of him but he did take fights, didn't make excuses, and just seems like a good guy in general. He's going to probably fight Pac again anyway so I'd rather see that then Margarito get some more money.
BrutalBodyShots
I actually think Cotto has a decent shot against Margarito II, and I rarely pick a guy that was brutally stopped to beat his conqueror.

Margarito I think after both the Mosley beating and the Pacquiao beating has had more taken from his tank than Cotto... and without the potential for "illegal wraps" Cotto may enter the ring a little stronger mentally.

Snoop
QUOTE (TheFonz @ Nov 18 2010, 02:23 PM) *
Manny Stewart can prepare Cotto to deal with Marg correctly. A few clinches here and there, and the fight is totally different. Not rocket science at all.

Yup. Cotto should have tied him up in the first fight. Might have changed the outcome of the fight.

Margarito I think after both the Mosley beating and the Pacquiao beating has had more taken from his tank than Cotto... and without the potential for "illegal wraps" Cotto may enter the ring a little stronger mentally.

Agreed as well. Margarito's beating against Pac was worse than Cotto's IMO. Not to mention getting his clocked cleaned by Mosley, Margarito isn't sitting too high on in-ring self-esteem.
BrutalBodyShots
Margarito is getting up there age and in ring years as far as taking punishment. I just see Cotto as being a bit more resilient at this point. It would probably end up being a good scrap that goes all 12 with each guy having his moments, but I think Cotto would be just a step ahead of Margarito in most of the rounds. It's always tough to tell how much a fight takes out of a guy... but you gotta think the Pacquiao fight took a good chunk out of Margarito at this stage of the game.

Snoop
QUOTE (BrutalBodyShots @ Nov 19 2010, 04:11 AM) *
Margarito is getting up there age and in ring years as far as taking punishment. I just see Cotto as being a bit more resilient at this point. It would probably end up being a good scrap that goes all 12 with each guy having his moments, but I think Cotto would be just a step ahead of Margarito in most of the rounds. It's always tough to tell how much a fight takes out of a guy... but you gotta think the Pacquiao fight took a good chunk out of Margarito at this stage of the game.

Especially because it was so recent. Cotto at least had the confidence builder victory over Foreman.
BrutalBodyShots
I think the wrap issue will also weigh on both guys minds...

Cotto will be thinking, "The only reason he beat me the first time was because of those illegal wraps... I've got him this time." = confidence booster.

Margarito will be thinking, "This time I don't have the illegal wraps, so it's going to be a lot tougher to hurt him." = confidence killer.

KYLE THEEE SPINKS FAN
Or Cotto will get to the 7th round and realize that Margarito is still coming and he doesn't like the pressure=confidence killer. Cotto hates pressure and has never dealt with it well. If anything, the fight will be a war again. Cotto is no easy fight, and the first fight was close. However, Clottey was able to bully Cotto around and punish him on the ropes. I just don't see Cotto standing up to 12 rounds of constant pressure no matter how washed up Tony is right now. It's not like Margarito is some slick boxer who's losing his skills with age. The idea of the wraps makes this fight a selling point. We've debated it and every message board has debated it to death whether he fought Cotto legally. Everybody already knows HBO will run with that, and Lampley will suck Cotto's cock. He'll probably claim he's basically undefeated with Margarito's hand wrap issue and Pac's steroids thing with him not taking the blood tests. That won't be fun to listen to if the fight gets made, but the fight itself would be solid.
TheFonz
This fight basically boils down to this.

Can Cotto hurt Tony this time around? Personally, I think Tony's chin has been cracked and if he can't walk through Cotto's bombs like he did in the first fight he is going to be in some serious trouble.
rusty_trombone
Cotto and the fucking idiots that were training him the first time around for this fight have the boxing iq of sarah palin. If they can implement just 1 ounce of strategy, cotto should be able to beat margarito like he's one of floyds bitches.

Kyle, I can't believe you're still all up in Margaritos shit after what he did to you...
streetlion1
At this point I think Cotto would box Margaritos ears off and stop him. Cheato wont have the benefit of having plaster this time....Mosley took his heart and whatever he had left was just probably beatin out of him by Pac-roid. Emanuel Steward would have the right gameplan!
BigG
Looks like its on! And Chavez Jr. will fight the winner...i hope the winner beats the shit out of that fuckin diva bitch Chavez Jr.
KYLE THEEE SPINKS FAN
I'm glad it's on. This is actually one of the fights that I've been wanting to see since 2008. It has a lot of intrigue, and people wonder whether Margarito had illegal wraps or not. I think it will be another war, and the winner of this fight would destroy Chavez Jr. This fight really gives the winner an opportunity to get their career back on track. I still firmly believe that will be Margarito because styles make fights. Cotto don't want to fight three minutes of every round, and he can't take 12 rounds of pressure. Clottey had him backed up on the ropes for most the time. I'm also curious as to how much each fighter has left in the tank. Their first fight was grueling, and Margarito may have had a lot taken out of him by Pac and Mosley. Cotto hasn't looked that sharp either, except against Foreman.
D-MARV
Margarito TKO11.
King Eugene
I'm curious as to how Margarito gets back to back title shots. He just lost to Pacquaio now he gets to challenge Cotto for his belt? Whats next? He beats Cotto and unifies with Pac at 154(150)?

For the life of me...
JLUVBABY
QUOTE (KYLE THEEE SPINKS FAN @ Nov 17 2010, 04:43 PM) *

yep... margarito will have a nice come back from that thrashing if he fights cotto.
gravytrain
QUOTE (King Eugene @ Nov 26 2010, 05:07 PM) *
I'm curious as to how Margarito gets back to back title shots. He just lost to Pacquaio now he gets to challenge Cotto for his belt? Whats next? He beats Cotto and unifies with Pac at 154(150)?

For the life of me...

Probably.

caneman
WAR COTTO and beat his ass bad! PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!1
1zz
If Cotto can dig to the body and clinch which is the key to defeating Antonio Margarito he can win.This shouldn't be to hard seeing that Cotto was one of the best bodypunchers in boxing a few years ago.
See the Mosley Marg fight for reference.
SmartyBeardo
QUOTE (BigG @ Nov 25 2010, 09:17 PM) *
Looks like its on! And Chavez Jr. will fight the winner...i hope the winner beats the shit out of that fuckin diva bitch Chavez Jr.

I don't get the hate for Chavez Jr. Dude is fighting in the shadow of one of the biggest Mexican legends of all time. Personally, I think he beats the winner of The Ruined Fighter Contest.

QUOTE (KYLE THEEE SPINKS FAN @ Nov 25 2010, 09:46 PM) *
I'm glad it's on. This is actually one of the fights that I've been wanting to see since 2008. It has a lot of intrigue, and people wonder whether Margarito had illegal wraps or not. I think it will be another war, and the winner of this fight would destroy Chavez Jr. This fight really gives the winner an opportunity to get their career back on track. I still firmly believe that will be Margarito because styles make fights. Cotto don't want to fight three minutes of every round, and he can't take 12 rounds of pressure. Clottey had him backed up on the ropes for most the time. I'm also curious as to how much each fighter has left in the tank. Their first fight was grueling, and Margarito may have had a lot taken out of him by Pac and Mosley. Cotto hasn't looked that sharp either, except against Foreman.

At least it is an honest Damaged Tomato Can Contest.

QUOTE (King Eugene @ Nov 26 2010, 03:07 PM) *

For the life of me...

You would have to ask The RingMaster.

QUOTE (JLUVBABY @ Nov 26 2010, 03:25 PM) *
yep... margarito will have a nice come back from that thrashing if he fights cotto.

I'll watch it . . . hoping karma rears its head for Cotto.
TheFonz
After watching the fight with Mayorga, I am more convinced than ever that Cotto beats him this time around on points. Stewart will have have Cotto holding alot in the early goings of that fight.
mexi-cutioner
QUOTE (TheFonz @ Mar 20 2011, 11:47 AM) *
After watching the fight with Mayorga, I am more convinced than ever that Cotto beats him this time around on points. Stewart will have have Cotto holding alot in the early goings of that fight.

I don't know about that, i'm pretty sure the savage beating he took from margarito is still in his head. It'll be interesting to see how Cotto handles himself in the ring thsi time around. Defs look forward to it, if it's PPV I plan on ordering
gravytrain
i like what Steward has done but unfortunately for him he got a out of his prime Cotto. i see him doing better with Margarito this time for what it's worth since i don't think Margarito is the same either. i think for either fighter this will be a hard fought decision. i like Cotto in the rematch though and could see him by a couple points.
JLUVBABY
i liked what cotto showed vs mayorga... for sure he has more left than what i originally gave him credit for... but it will be interesting to see how he looks vs a fighter that is able to hit him and makes him work to get his shots off to hit them back.. margarito had a lot taken out of him in his fight vs cotto as well but hands wrapped or not cotto has to have in the back of his head that he hit margarito with everything he had and could not get him out of there... and im not sure cotto is the kind of boxer that can resist the type of pressure margarito is gonna bring him.. im sure we will see him at some point almost have to knuckle up and fight... that may be his undoing again... if the under card is good i will for sure order this one... it should at least provide fireworks however long it last...
TheFonz
QUOTE (Fitz @ Mar 21 2011, 02:32 AM) *
That's how I feel. I really like what I have seen from Cotto with Steward. I saw him clinch against Mayorga, something I didn't see previously. He was more patient and boxed a little more. But like you said, it's still an out of prime Cotto.
I would have loved to have seen Steward work with Cotto just before the Mosley fight. Things could have been different.

He also jabbed to the body (something else that I don't ever remember him doing) and he fought behind the Jab the entire fight. I have gotten so used to him abondoning it after 2-3 rounds that I was expecting him to do in the fight with Mayorga. In fact, the times Mayorga had any success is when Cotto decided not to use it.

Anyway Cotto should beat Marg and then head to 147 to fight the winner of Berto-Ortiz.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.