Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Early Estimates Have Pacquiao - Margarito at 1.4 million PPV Buys
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
JD
Surprised?

What you expected?

salvador
I expected a little less than that, but with the 60 minutes and all the other promotion I'm not at all surprised.

I suppose Marg-Cotto is a done deal now and I'd be a little shocked if Pac didn't fight another winnable fight before Floyd.
D-MARV
Honestly, I'm a bit surprised. I expected around 1 million buys for this fight.
Hops
This will probably settle to around 1.3 million.
KYLE THEEE SPINKS FAN
I'm not that surprised. There was a ton of hype about this fight. 60 minutes, ESPN, and even the world news did pieces leading up to the fight. Margarito-Cotto did very well, and there were quite a few fans that were in support of Margarito for this fight. Pacquiao is the star, and he'll always draw. The combination of all that made it such a successful promotion.
caneman
I am not surprised either way! It sounds about right to me! Of course it gives PBF another reason to say see I am the cash cow & want 60-40% to fight Pacman, no cut off on testing & the DA to drop all charges against him! rolleyes_anim.gif
JD
QUOTE (Hops @ Nov 18 2010, 10:02 AM) *
This will probably settle to around 1.3 million.

Actually it appears that 1.4 million is a minimum with 1.5 million possible.
Maxy
I'm pretty clueless when it comes to PPV figures in America. Were these better or worse than what was expected/predicted?

The Harrison-Haye farce over here apparently did 800,000 buys for the record.
ROLL DEEP
Yeah, I thought Pac - Marg would've done more than Haye-Harrison by a loooooooong shot.

I heard it was 750,000/800,000 too.
gbh32001
QUOTE (ROLL DEEP @ Nov 19 2010, 01:50 AM) *
Yeah, I thought Pac - Marg would've done more than Haye-Harrison by a loooooooong shot.

I heard it was 750,000/800,000 too.

laugh.gif Arum will shut up after a week because the total count is lower than Pac-Clottey PPV. laugh.gif
gravytrain
QUOTE (Maxy @ Nov 18 2010, 12:40 PM) *
I'm pretty clueless when it comes to PPV figures in America. Were these better or worse than what was expected/predicted?

I can't recall what they projected the numbers to be but I think it's 1.3 million.

Is there a mob of 800,000 pissed off Brits on the hunt for Fraudley and Haye?
Spyder
I'm a little surprised. I didn't give it much thought, but I guess I expected a number around 900K-1M.

24/7 is a phenomenon.
gravytrain
QUOTE (Spyder @ Nov 18 2010, 06:08 PM) *
I'm a little surprised. I didn't give it much thought, but I guess I expected a number around 900K-1M.

24/7 is a phenomenon.

24/7 and team Pac did a good job of selling this fight. I had some people who watch fights every now and then and order the odd PPV talking to me like this was going to be the fight of the century.
BrutalBodyShots
I think those are great numbers for a fight where the draw was a 5-1 favorite. Means that regardless of essentially a foregone conclusion people were willing to shell out the buck to see the fight.

Most of the time I choose not to buy a fight it's because I feel like odds are too wide and don't see it as being competitive.

Makes me think Mayweather-Pacquiao which would be near even odds IMO would do ~1.8

JD
If Floyd and Pac ever fought...the fight would do closer to 3 mill than 1.8 mill.
Snoop
QUOTE (BrutalBodyShots @ Nov 19 2010, 12:34 AM) *
I think those are great numbers for a fight where the draw was a 5-1 favorite. Means that regardless of essentially a foregone conclusion people were willing to shell out the buck to see the fight.

Most of the time I choose not to buy a fight it's because I feel like odds are too wide and don't see it as being competitive.

Makes me think Mayweather-Pacquiao which would be near even odds IMO would do ~1.8

Correlation does not imply causation. Just because the fight had a 5-1 favorite doesn't mean that's the one reason they cranked out PPV so high.

IMO it's because Pacquiao has an incredibly large fan base, and the Mexican fanbase will more or less root for anyone representing their country (with certain exceptions).

If Pac/May ever came to fruition, the buys would be WAY past 1.8 million. In fact I would guess that a fight with closer odds would draw more viewers, but then again, I don't think betting odds is the most significant driving factor to PPV buys.
mexi-cutioner
Pac haters are surprised because they doubt Pac's fanbase which has deifnitely reached past the filipino community since 2008
Snoop
QUOTE (mexi-cutioner @ Nov 19 2010, 03:21 AM) *
Pac haters are surprised because they doubt Pac's fanbase which has deifnitely reached past the filipino community since 2008

Yeah Spyder, you Pac hater.
BrutalBodyShots
QUOTE (JD @ Nov 18 2010, 07:42 PM) *
If Floyd and Pac ever fought...the fight would do closer to 3 mill than 1.8 mill.

Think so? I was thinking in the 2 million range... 1.8 was a conservative number I threw out there.

BrutalBodyShots
QUOTE (Snoop @ Nov 18 2010, 07:56 PM) *
Correlation does not imply causation. Just because the fight had a 5-1 favorite doesn't mean that's the one reason they cranked out PPV so high.

IMO it's because Pacquiao has an incredibly large fan base, and the Mexican fanbase will more or less root for anyone representing their country (with certain exceptions).

If Pac/May ever came to fruition, the buys would be WAY past 1.8 million. In fact I would guess that a fight with closer odds would draw more viewers, but then again, I don't think betting odds is the most significant driving factor to PPV buys.

I'm not suggesting it is... Perfect case in point is Tyson being a 10-1 or 15-1 favorite over whoever and cranking serious PPV numbers. Just shows that Tyson is a great draw due to his exciting style, as is Pacquiao. I for one used to score Tyson PPV's just because it was exciting to see him likely KO a guy. I on the other hand only buy Pacquiao PPVs because I either think it will be a good scrap or because I think I might actually see Pacquiao lose for once. Kinda a different situation there, at least for me anyway.

Pacquiao isn't the draw of a Tyson though... as exciting as he may be... so people may be hesitant to pull the trigger on one of his fights if the odds are really wide.

Snoop
QUOTE (BrutalBodyShots @ Nov 19 2010, 04:04 AM) *
I'm not suggesting it is... Perfect case in point is Tyson being a 10-1 or 15-1 favorite over whoever and cranking serious PPV numbers. Just shows that Tyson is a great draw due to his exciting style, as is Pacquiao. I for one used to score Tyson PPV's just because it was exciting to see him likely KO a guy. I on the other hand only buy Pacquiao PPVs because I either think it will be a good scrap or because I think I might actually see Pacquiao lose for once. Kinda a different situation there, at least for me anyway.

Pacquiao isn't the draw of a Tyson though... as exciting as he may be... so people may be hesitant to pull the trigger on one of his fights if the odds are really wide.

If it's not because of the odds, why do you think Pacquiao/Mayweather would only do 1.8 mil? A sincere question because you're the first person I'd ever heard project such a low number.

But yeah, Pacquiao definitely isn't the draw of Tyson. Dunno if anyone ever will be in the near future.
BrutalBodyShots
QUOTE (Snoop @ Nov 18 2010, 11:10 PM) *
If it's not because of the odds, why do you think Pacquiao/Mayweather would only do 1.8 mil? A sincere question because you're the first person I'd ever heard project such a low number.

But yeah, Pacquiao definitely isn't the draw of Tyson. Dunno if anyone ever will be in the near future.

More than anything just that Mayweather isn't a great draw. I can't recall all of his PPV numbers... but I think Marquez was 1M, Mosley 1.2M and DLH was his high of 2.4M. I could be off a tenth or so on each. Anyway, DLH was always a great draw and a huge dance partner... I'm not sure Pacquiao surpasses that. Like I said 1.8M was a conservative # I shot out there, I think 2M is more like it.

I think the economy could be a factor as well. If I use myself as an example... I know I buy a lot less PPVs now than I did 3-4 years ago. I'm just tighter with my money and am willing to watch it a week later for free a lot of the time.

Of course to offset the loss from economic factors there is the gain from the 24/7 promo that didn't exist back then... so I guess it's a wash.

JD
QUOTE (BrutalBodyShots @ Nov 18 2010, 11:00 PM) *
Think so? I was thinking in the 2 million range... 1.8 was a conservative number I threw out there.

I do. It is the last mega / crossover / mainstream fight that can be made for a very long time...the entire sports world is ready, and it's the only fight that can be top story news on any sports channel.

My guess is that the fight would do 2.6 - 2.8 million buys.
salvador
QUOTE (Maxy @ Nov 18 2010, 12:40 PM) *

That is totally incredible. Was was the price on that? If it was anywhere near $54.95 that we paid here then it makes you wonder why in the hell Haye would ever bother with the Klits when he can make so much on his own.

Aside from the sad fact that all those Brits got ripped off, which, of course, is ultimately bad for boxing, it does show what excellent boxing fans they obviously are. They must be starved for a great boxer now that Hatton and Calzaghe are gone. I don't know if that has to do with the fact (like I believe Emmanuel Steward said) that there are fewer sports in Europe or if they are just really big fans of boxing.
Maxy
QUOTE (salvador @ Nov 19 2010, 10:24 AM) *
That is totally incredible. Was was the price on that? If it was anywhere near $54.95 that we paid here then it makes you wonder why in the hell Haye would ever bother with the Klits when he can make so much on his own.

Aside from the sad fact that all those Brits got ripped off, which, of course, is ultimately bad for boxing, it does show what excellent boxing fans they obviously are. They must be starved for a great boxer now that Hatton and Calzaghe are gone. I don't know if that has to do with the fact (like I believe Emmanuel Steward said) that there are fewer sports in Europe or if they are just really big fans of boxing.

Sky TV did a great job hyping this one up. They actually made Fraudley sound like a legitimate challenger and the casual fan stumped up their cash. It was 14.95, which is what, about half what you have to pay for your PPV's? Anyway, we did get Pac-Marg, Mike Jones etc live and free that same night.
Method
Actually it appears that 1.4 million is a minimum with 1.5 million possible.

Im not surprised in the least by this.

What's more, I think it gives Paq a lot more leverage at parity when negotiating w Mayweather.

I think the purse split for those two should be 50/50 straight down the line.
gravytrain
QUOTE (Maxy @ Nov 19 2010, 11:58 AM) *
Sky TV did a great job hyping this one up. They actually made Fraudley sound like a legitimate challenger and the casual fan stumped up their cash. It was 14.95, which is what, about half what you have to pay for your PPV's? Anyway, we did get Pac-Marg, Mike Jones etc live and free that same night.

I wish, it'd be 35 quid for you. Major PPVs in America are $54.95 for the most part.

How did they hype the fight when Harrison has had such a bad career/reputation? lol. Did people just want to see Haye beat him down?
gravytrain
QUOTE (Method @ Nov 19 2010, 02:12 PM) *
Im not surprised in the least by this.

What's more, I think it gives Paq a lot more leverage at parity when negotiating w Mayweather.

I think the purse split for those two should be 50/50 straight down the line.

I think it's going to make it a hard fight to make now. If they match or beat Mayweather's last PPV, especially after Arum owned Mayweather in the media, they're not going to care if the fight isn't made because everything will be on Mayweather. All the pressure will be on Mayweather to make the fight happen
Maxy
QUOTE (gravytrain @ Nov 19 2010, 08:38 PM) *
I wish, it'd be 35 quid for you. Major PPVs in America are $54.95 for the most part.

How did they hype the fight when Harrison has had such a bad career/reputation? lol. Did people just want to see Haye beat him down?

Sky Tv, along with pretty much every newspaper and radio station hyped the fight immensely. It was as if nobody dare mention that Audley was absolutely useless and had no chance. They just continued with the line that this could well be Harrison's time.

I just thought I'd mention this....when Amir Khan had his last amateur bout against Mario Kindelan an unbelievable 6.3 million viewers tuned in to watch that on free TV. I find that figure astounding.
gravytrain
QUOTE (Maxy @ Nov 20 2010, 02:16 PM) *
Sky Tv, along with pretty much every newspaper and radio station hyped the fight immensely. It was as if nobody dare mention that Audley was absolutely useless and had no chance. They just continued with the line that this could well be Harrison's time.

I just thought I'd mention this....when Amir Khan had his last amateur bout against Mario Kindelan an unbelievable 6.3 million viewers tuned in to watch that on free TV. I find that figure astounding.

That's crazy lol. Reminds me of watching old amateur fight videos and hearing about there being 40,000 people or more at the Golden Gloves finals.
lloyd mayflower
QUOTE (Maxy @ Nov 20 2010, 08:16 PM) *

And yet BBC and now ITV continue to treat boxing like the sports version of a lepur
sweetscientist1
QUOTE (lloyd mayflower @ Nov 21 2010, 12:05 PM) *
And yet BBC and now ITV continue to treat boxing like the sports version of a lepur

And still nobodyt cares whoo this guy is. And, he wants to fight Mayweather? Yeah! Mee too!
chappy
QUOTE (sweetscientist1 @ Nov 22 2010, 08:39 PM) *
And still nobodyt cares whoo this guy is. And, he wants to fight Mayweather? Yeah! Mee too!

Amir Khan fighting Mayweather? How uneventful is that? I would rather watch Floydie slap around Sergio for 8.5 rounds prior to Serge getting TKO'd!
JD
LOL...come on man...pick one screen name.

If you are going to create a second screen name just so you can reply to yourself, at least be creative or slick about it.

Chappy or sweetscientist1...which is it? laugh.gif
lloyd mayflower
QUOTE (JD @ Nov 23 2010, 02:53 AM) *
LOL...come on man...pick one screen name.

If you are going to create a second screen name just so you can reply to yourself, at least be creative or slick about it.

Chappy or sweetscientist1...which is it? laugh.gif

Fuckin embarrassing. We went from Pac Marg PPV numbers to the state of boxing on British TV and somehow that dick manages to slide in quite the most ridiculous scenario of Floyd knocking out the middleweight champ of the world.

What a bell-end
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.