Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Williams-Martinez II Preview and Prediction Thread
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
BrutalBodyShots
I don't see a thread for this one yet and it's less than 2 days away. How are you guys taking and why? How do you see it playing out?

I've got Martinez by close decision... probably MD in another war/FOTY candidate.
kidbazooka1
QUOTE (BrutalBodyShots @ Nov 19 2010, 01:48 AM) *
I don't see a thread for this one yet and it's less than 2 days away. How are you guys taking and why? How do you see it playing out?

I've got Martinez by close decision... probably MD in another war/FOTY candidate.

You beat me to the punch Brutal.

Im pumped for this one. I thought Martinez won the first fight and feel that after his win over Pavlik he'll be more mentally ready for the Williams. PW didn't look all that good in the three rds we seen of him in the Cintron fight. I see the fight being nip n tuck all the way with Martinez versatility being the differecne.

Martinez by UD.
King Eugene
I see Martinez winning early rounds and being flashy while at it but Williams coming on strong and adjusting forcing Martinez to fight(which he isn't scared to do) and taking a split decision. Martinez will not work as much as he did in the early rounds while Williams will be coming forward letting his hands go. Hopefully he'll fight tall and avoid as much punishment as possible.
PR316
Hard to call. I'm gonna go with Williams on a close UD.
JD
Martinez...get ready for the trilogy
D-MARV
I've got PWill by late stoppage TKO12. FOTY!

It's quite possible that Martinez will be leading at the time of the stoppage but I think PWill's is as determined as he has ever been. I have never seen him so focused while training and I think he got some good sparring from Quintana. Rumors spreading about Martinez being 175 as recent as last week could have an effect on Martinez late in the fight and I think that's where PWill will leave his mark. This will be a great fight either way and I have split right down the middle but I don't see this one going the distance.. Somebody is getting stopped.
The Original MrFactor
Every great fighter has a rival that just helps define their career. Ali had Frazier, Robinson had LaMotta, Louis had Schmeling. The question with these two, is who the great fighter and who is the rival. This will easily be a trilogy.

I like Williams to stop Martinez. I think, Williams will look at the tape of the last fight and fight a bit more cautious and patient. He was so anxious last fight. He took a lot of risks, placing his head in Martinez lap to be countered. I think he fights this one like he fought the Margarito fight a few years back. I think he fights tall and a bit more patient. I think he outworks Martinez and jumps on him, if he catches him. There is something special about Paul Williams ability to take a punch and be determined to land three back at you. Its either a blessing or a curse. In this fight, I think its a blessing...
PR316
QUOTE (JD @ Nov 19 2010, 09:18 AM) *
Martinez...get ready for the trilogy

Hope your right. Like both guys but am rooting for Maravilla.
salvador
I've got Williams by a bloody and semi-close decision.

On a side note, what was up with the Williams video press release? We got to learn that he likes shooting pistols - wonderful. Are we supposed to assume that that means he's still got that killer instinct?

caneman
It's hard to argue with anyone picking either guy! I have a really hard time going against PWill but I am taking Martinez by UD! I did find this though that you might wanna watch!1st fight
Snoop
I'm rooting for a good fight. I like both these guys. No bullshit at the negotiating table, just fighting, like how it should be.
caneman
Somehow I forgot a judge scored the 1st fight 119-110! Wow, he should never judge a fight again!
Jack 1000
I thought Martinez won the first fight close, but convincingly. I think Martinez takes the rematch in another great fight, hopefully with no scoring bullshit in a close fight, (first fight, one judge had 119-110 Williams, WTF?) It should be another good to great fight.

Jack
caneman
we get/had 8 pages of posts for pac/marg and 2 for a fight 10 times more interesting???? WTF? PITIFUL!
The Ollie Reed Fan Club
Williams by UD but really it could go either way. To me it's more about what Willaims does than Martinez. Paul has to be the most frustrating fighter on the planet. He has all the tools to win against top guys easy but he constantly makes things harder for himself by making basic mistakes.

Mean Mister Mustard
I agree with the posters who say that the fighter who has more room to improve, based on the first fight, is Williams. It all depends on if he chooses to box and use his height, and doesn't go in face first like he's used to. Problem is that he might not be able to change. Maybe those defensive flaws are there to stay, and if they are, Martinez is going to counter him when Williams leans in on his jab and left hand.

Martinez can improve as well. In the first fight he was swinging for the fences after the 1st round. Later on he settled down but his wild shots had taken a lot of steam out of him. Either way he showed up in excellent condition because he caught his second wind and was back to landing hard shots in the late rounds.

I think we're going to see a more tactical fight, with Williams trying to jab more. I really don't know who to pick though, but if have to choose, I'll say that Williams chooses to box more and wins a fight in which he'll get hit flush, but not as much as in the first one.

Thegreatequalizer
i think martinez is going is going to win a UD. i agree that williams is kind of frustrating. i was looking forward to him being a monster, but he still fights kind of like an amateur. i'm not sure if he'll ever grow out of it either. we'll see. i think martinez's heart will carry him to victory.
D-MARV
Pacquiao won't go near PWill and Mayweather won't go near Martinez.
gbh32001
Williams did not improve since their first match and Martinez only improve one step above his and he only look good because he got the right fight. Paul will take this one either KO or close D.
caneman
QUOTE (D-MARV @ Nov 20 2010, 10:41 AM) *
Pacquiao won't go near PWill and Mayweather won't go near Martinez.

I don't see Pac or PBF going near either guy personally & not really a need to do so anyhow!
BrutalBodyShots
How did you guys score the first fight. Although I FELT Martinez edged it, I actually scored it 114-114.

That one judge that had it 119-110 should be executed.

caneman
QUOTE (BrutalBodyShots @ Nov 20 2010, 01:06 PM) *
How did you guys score the first fight. Although I FELT Martinez edged it, I actually scored it 114-114.

Re watching the fight 115-113 Martinez but I saw PWill winning it 115=113 but a really close fight! A draw might have been the best call!
gravytrain
Going to go with Martinez by SD, I think he won the first fight and can take Williams again. Williams just doesn't use his height and I think Martinez will really be looking for a win.
Imperius3
Williams will show some improvement, and his workrate should edge him the fight. The catchweight will probably help too.

Williams by close decision.
salvador
QUOTE (BrutalBodyShots @ Nov 20 2010, 01:06 PM) *

At the very least he should be audited and be required to give an explanation for his scores.
Jack 1000
Paul Williams fights are always the hardest for me to score because he throws so many punches with that reach and stance. It's hard to see what lands and what doesn't because he just keeps coming. I was in the minority who thought that he beat Quintana the first time. It was still very close. Williams busier, but Quintana throwing the harder shots.

But you can take away Williams good athletic advantages by getting inside and applying pressure, But Paul Williams is this tall octopus. He makes you work for everything. I think that Paul may not be as fast as earlier years and the octopus may gradually slow down from Martinez's pressure. I am counting on Sergio to snatch a close victory in those later rounds by being just a little fresher, staying just a little busier if the Octopus can fade around the 10th round or so, Martinez I think gets it done. It's very close. I would not bet, because who wins, it's gonna be just as tight as the first fight.

I might be forced to do something in this fight that I hate to do. Score even rounds. This could be just like the first fight.

Jack
KYLE THEEE SPINKS FAN
I think this fight will be as good as the first one, and tough to score. Williams had a rough time with Cintron's boxing ability in the first few rounds of that fight. He also got hit a lot against Martinez the first time. I think Martinez takes a close decision here, as he utilizes a little more movement and avoding Williams' shots. Williams will try and pressure him, but Martinez won't be there to be hit this time. Of course Williams will have his moments and he'll win some rounds. However, I see Martinez landing the more effective shots and utlilizing his movement more.
The CEO
People forget how old Martinez is...and with his certain style, youthful reflexes means everything...could tonight be the night he slows down a bit?....his manager (Gabriel Sarmiento), win or lose, should get Trainer Of The Year.

The 158 catchweight isn't really a factor in this one...

Williams will show some improvements, and his name has more pull than Martinez' in The Boxing World...

Overall: Rootin' for Martinez, but I'm thinking we'll see a true Draw tonight...one better than his loss last time, and he retains the belt...

$25 on the Draw wins you $450...something to consider.
JD
Age is a factor...but as I thought about it, I couldn't help but feel that Williams might not be any younger in ring years.
The CEO
QUOTE (JD @ Nov 20 2010, 06:47 PM) *
Age is a factor...but as I thought about it, I couldn't help but feel that Williams might not be any younger in ring years.

I believe that too...

I just can't help but feel there's some Politics Pro-Williams goin' on...I mean, look at the 1st fight...I scored that for Martinez.

Maybe they'll at least let him keep his belt tonight...
HaydelHammer
Paul Williams KO 1st round.
TheFonz
QUOTE (HaydelHammer @ Nov 20 2010, 09:08 PM) *

LMAO
JD
QUOTE (The CEO @ Nov 20 2010, 07:06 PM) *
I believe that too...

I just can't help but feel there's some Politics Pro-Williams goin' on...I mean, look at the 1st fight...I scored that for Martinez.

Maybe they'll at least let him keep his belt tonight...

I thought Martinez won the first fight by a hair...I agree that Williams could end up getting the benefit of close rounds, but looking at the fight I like Martinez by MD or SD.
TheFonz
QUOTE (HaydelHammer @ Nov 20 2010, 09:08 PM) *

Lolmaorolf
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.