Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Manny Pac video...
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
JLUVBABY
Snoop
Some of his facts are off but overall he's right on point. After Pac/Marg pushed 1.5 million PPV, this alone proves that Top Rank can promote ANY fight with Pacquiao if they really wanted to. They kind of shot themselves in the foot from using the excuse, "Well so-and-so is just not a marketable name."
caneman
He made some good points but I wouldn't be shocked if we never see Pac in the ring again unless it's vs PBF!!!! As far as those guys he brought up, sure they can be sold and bring them on! All 3 would be interesting! STILL ONLY 1 FIGHT I REALLY WANNA SEE!!!!
The Ollie Reed Fan Club
I love how this doofus puts at the end that this video is about Manny not Floyd so please don't bring up Floyd although he himself brings up Floyd twice in the video, mentioning that he had beaten both DLH and Fatton before Manny. Gee it's not too hard to see this guys agenda.

It's obvious why they are taking the fights they are. Arum himself must know that Manny's retirement isn't too far away and he wants to make sure that when he cashs up it will be for all the chips in a Mayweather fight. Having said that he knows he can continue to put Manny in relatively low risk fights that will continue to pull in HUGE money.

To be honest I'm staggered that Manny/Marg did 1.5 million buys. It wasn't that long ago that a million buys was considered very big and particularly as it was a fight between a Filipino who barely speaks English and a known cheater who speaks none.

Arum on the other hand will be licking his lips. I see him putting manny in one more low risk fight and then mayweather/manny being made in mid to late next year.

Why bother with a Bradley when your next fight may be Floyd? Yes as Hype said it could prepare him better for a Floyd fight but he could also lose as well. Arum will continue to play the %'s on this one.

Snoop
QUOTE (The Ollie Reed Fan Club @ Nov 19 2010, 10:26 PM) *
I love how this doofus puts at the end that this video is about Manny not Floyd so please don't bring up Floyd although he himself brings up Floyd twice in the video, mentioning that he had beaten both DLH and Fatton before Manny. Gee it's not too hard to see this guys agenda.

It's obvious why they are taking the fights they are. Arum himself must know that Manny's retirement isn't too far away and he wants to make sure that when he cashs up it will be for all the chips in a Mayweather fight. Having said that he knows he can continue to put Manny in relatively low risk fights that will continue to pull in HUGE money.

To be honest I'm staggered that Manny/Marg did 1.5 million buys. It wasn't that long ago that a million buys was considered very big and particularly as it was a fight between a Filipino who barely speaks English and a known cheater who speaks none.

Arum on the other hand will be licking his lips. I see him putting manny in one more low risk fight and then mayweather/manny being made in mid to late next year.

Why bother with a Bradley when your next fight may be Floyd? Yes as Hype said it could prepare him better for a Floyd fight but he could also lose as well. Arum will continue to play the %'s on this one.

Nowadays it feels like if Floyd or Manny don't break 1M buys in their fights, the PPV was failure.
The Ollie Reed Fan Club
QUOTE (Snoop @ Nov 19 2010, 04:31 PM) *
Nowadays it feels like if Floyd or Manny don't break 1M buys in their fights, the PPV was failure.

I know I was thinking around one million. The extra half a million surprised me. Snoop do you know what Mayweather/Mosley did by any chance?
Snoop
QUOTE (The Ollie Reed Fan Club @ Nov 19 2010, 09:34 PM) *
I know I was thinking around one million. The extra half a million surprised me. Snoop do you know what Mayweather/Mosley did by any chance?

1.4 mil I think.
The Ollie Reed Fan Club
QUOTE (Snoop @ Nov 19 2010, 04:50 PM) *
1.4 mil I think.

If you're right that is interesting. I would've expected Mayweather/Mosley to do a little bit better. I think if they fight (PBF/Pac) it should probably be 50/50.

Adding on from another thread I agree, I think their fight would do north of 2.8 million buys. Especially with all the drama's and other personalitties involved (Floyd's family/Roach/Ariza) that shit is marketing gold.
Snoop
QUOTE (The Ollie Reed Fan Club @ Nov 19 2010, 09:52 PM) *
If you're right that is interesting. I would've expected Mayweather/Mosley to do a little bit better. I think if they fight (PBF/Pac) it should probably be 50/50.

I'm kind of surprised too now that I have the two figures next to each other. But people tune into Pac because they like him, and people tune into Mayweather because they hate him. I think naturally people are more inclined to watch the guy they're rooting for succeed rather than the guy they despise piss them off by winning. Put em together and it's a monumental event.

50/50 is the fairest split at this point. Either guy would be ridiculous in trying to leverage for anything more IMO.
Maxy
QUOTE (The Ollie Reed Fan Club @ Nov 19 2010, 04:26 PM) *

I'm surprised it only did 1.5 million or thereabouts. Considering the size of the country, the population, that's a minuscule amount.

Hatton-Mayweather did 1.2 million in lil ol England and it had jack shit to do with Pretty Boy cos most of the buyers didn't know who the fuck he was.
The Ollie Reed Fan Club
QUOTE (Maxy @ Nov 19 2010, 05:23 PM) *
I'm surprised it only did 1.5 million or thereabouts. Considering the size of the country, the population, that's a minuscule amount.

Hatton-Mayweather did 1.2 million in lil ol England and it had jack shit to do with Pretty Boy cos most of the buyers didn't know who the fuck he was.

Yeah but you have to remember that at the time England was only a one fighter nation. There was Hatton and that was it. In America you have other fighters and so many other sports and events to compete against. When Tua fought Lennox Lewis that fight was watched by over 1 million NZ'ers which was at the time over a quarter of our population. Same reaon as England we had Tua and that was it.

Then Maxy take into account PPV history in America. Very few fights get over a million buys and even fewer over 1.5 To have 2 non-Americans hit this number is to me surprising when taken in this context.
Maxy
QUOTE (The Ollie Reed Fan Club @ Nov 19 2010, 06:43 PM) *
Yeah but you have to remember that at the time England was only a one fighter nation. There was Hatton and that was it. In America you have other fighters and so many other sports and events to compete against. When Tua fought Lennox Lewis that fight was watched by over 1 million NZ'ers which was at the time over a quarter of our population. Same reaon as England we had Tua and that was it.

Then Maxy take into account PPV history in America. Very few fights get over a million buys and even fewer over 1.5 To have 2 non-Americans hit this number is to me surprising when taken in this context.

I understand where you're coming from but still, the sales generated in America are pathetic percentage wise and yet we are lead to believe they lead the world when it comes to boxing.

Seriously, I am really disappointed that such a huge nation doesn't get like 10 million buys for the big fights minimum. Stunned actually.

And Ollie, football is the number one sport over here, shed loads like cricket (fuck knows why, never been a fan) but boxing, when promoted right, always does good numbers. Having said that, when boxing was on terrestrial TV the numbers destroyed anything you'll ever likely to see again.
kidbazooka1
Dude is Biased.

Manny would f*ck Berto, Devin, and Bradley up with ease.
The Ollie Reed Fan Club
QUOTE (Maxy @ Nov 19 2010, 08:12 PM) *
I understand where you're coming from but still, the sales generated in America are pathetic percentage wise and yet we are lead to believe they lead the world when it comes to boxing.

Seriously, I am really disappointed that such a huge nation doesn't get like 10 million buys for the big fights minimum. Stunned actually.

And Ollie, football is the number one sport over here, shed loads like cricket (fuck knows why, never been a fan) but boxing, when promoted right, always does good numbers. Having said that, when boxing was on terrestrial TV the numbers destroyed anything you'll ever likely to see again.

Maxy I know football is the number one sport, I lived in London for several years. However it was like the Henman factor every Wimbledon, because you only had one player of note (OK maybe Rusedski when you felt like claiming him laugh.gif ) all of a sudden the whole nation got behind tennis for that fortnight.

Same goes for a minor sporting nation like NZ. If we get a world class competitor in a certain sport then the whole country gets behind him (or her.) Despite rugby being our national sport the Tua/Lewis fight is still the single most watched event in NZ TV history. Unfortunately Tua couldn't deliver but I have no hesitation in believing if we had another decent HW come along in the next few years you would see huge viewing numbers all over again.

Like you though the smaller numbers blow me away in America. However there are so many other things to consider. Take the level of interest in college sports as an example. Can you imagine college (university) matchs having the same level of interest in England or NZ that they have in USA? America is just a different larger beast.
gravytrain
QUOTE (The Ollie Reed Fan Club @ Nov 19 2010, 08:28 PM) *
Maxy I know football is the number one sport, I lived in London for several years. However it was like the Henman factor every Wimbledon, because you only had one player of note (OK maybe Rusedski when you felt like claiming him laugh.gif ) all of a sudden the whole nation got behind tennis for that fortnight.

Same goes for a minor sporting nation like NZ. If we get a world class competitor in a certain sport then the whole country gets behind him (or her.) Despite rugby being our national sport the Tua/Lewis fight is still the single most watched event in NZ TV history. Unfortunately Tua couldn't deliver but I have no hesitation in believing if we had another decent HW come along in the next few years you would see huge viewing numbers all over again.

Like you though the smaller numbers blow me away in America. However there are so many other things to consider. Take the level of interest in college sports as an example. Can you imagine college (university) matchs having the same level of interest in England or NZ that they have in USA? America is just a different larger beast.

Plus there are tons of sports on TV for free. NCAA football and basketball, MLB, NBA, NFL, NASCAR. Unless you're doing something incredible as a fighter, like the second coming of Tyson, I think it's really just hard to compete with the other sports. There are just too many American sports/athletes with a high level of popularity.
Snoop
QUOTE (kidbazooka1 @ Nov 20 2010, 01:05 AM) *
Dude is Biased.

Manny would f*ck Berto, Devin, and Bradley up with ease.

I don't see how you can be so sure of that. Who in the last 2 years has Pacquiao fought that remotely resembles their styles?
The Ollie Reed Fan Club
QUOTE (Snoop @ Nov 20 2010, 12:29 AM) *
I don't see how you can be so sure of that. Who in the last 2 years has Pacquiao fought that remotely resembles their styles?

But you could say have Berto, Alexander or Bradley faced anyone remotely close to Pac in speed, stamina and intensity? Mate if those guys got in the ring to face a prime Pac I'm sure they would find it a very stimulating step-up in class. laugh.gif

Personally not sold on Berto or Alexander. I'd pick Bradley to stand the best chance of pulling the upset.
kidbazooka1
QUOTE (Snoop @ Nov 19 2010, 11:29 PM) *

Don't matter to me neither of those guys have the experience of a Cotto there style IMO won't give Manny any trouble. The only thing they will be able to do differently than recent Pac opponents is run for survival once they get tagged.

I am not sold on either guy. I Like Devin but i just can't see him giving Manny many problems. Bradley would get ran over brutaly.

Only Floyd style would give Manny trouble but even at that Manny still wins it in my opinion.
mexi-cutioner
Entertaining while it lasts, but i think Berto would get exposed badly by Manny, like how Hatton got exposed by Floyd.

Devon Alexander...I've just got one word. Kotelnik. That says it all.

Bradley would give manny the most fits out of the three, Pac vs Bradley and Pac vs Berto would be interesting to watch imo
Maxy
QUOTE (The Ollie Reed Fan Club @ Nov 19 2010, 09:28 PM) *

Did you live here during that time? Hope not cos that's embarrassing to be a Brit. Those Henman fans were the sort of people who thought it was trendy to like tiger Tim and had no real interest in Tennis until Wimbledon came around. I liken that type to the sad adult twats who openly read and discuss Harry Potter books like it was cool to be into that shit.

Yeah, I take your point though but still, I wouldn't say we have anywhere near to the number of boxing fans over here compared to America. I think they charge too much for their PPV's and without a vast array of superstars in boxing to brag about I suppose it's a hard sell. Still, the low numbers are really surprising.

Was PPV around in the Hagler/Hearns/Leonard/Duran days and how did they do? Anyone know what the largest ever PPV sales were in America?
The Ollie Reed Fan Club
QUOTE (Maxy @ Nov 20 2010, 05:43 AM) *
Did you live here during that time? Hope not cos that's embarrassing to be a Brit.

Do the phrases 'Timbledon' and 'Henmania' answer your question? laugh.gif
Maxy
QUOTE (The Ollie Reed Fan Club @ Nov 20 2010, 05:46 AM) *
Do the phrases 'Timbledon' and 'Henmania' answer your question? laugh.gif

Shit yeah, sadly they do. laugh.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.