Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: PPV:UFC-123:Rampage vs. Machida@10PM(ET)/9PM(CT)/7PM(PT)
FightHype Community > OTHER HYPE > Archives
Pages: 1, 2
Jack 1000
For all on-going and post-fight reactions to the UFC 123: Rampage-Machida card. Keep everything in this thread.

Jack

Administrator
The CEO
I'd like to see Rampage win...but I doubt it...

Unless Machida's not over that Shogun beating and is off his game...because Rampage still has the power to knock him out.
Warlord
QUOTE (The CEO @ Nov 20 2010, 07:34 PM) *
I'd like to see Rampage win...but I doubt it...

Same here.

If the UFC version of Rampage shows up tonight, he will lose to Machida by boring-ass decision. And I am using the first conditional intentionally here, because I fully believe this is what will happen. Rampage has been a plodding, one dimensional fighter for the most part since his arrival to the UFC, and I don't see that changing here.

If the Pride version of Rampage were fighting Machida tonight, he would win the fight. I'm using the second conditional here, as, again, I believe this to be an unlikely scenario.

Machida is a tactical fighter, a counter puncher who likes to react to his opponent. Fighters looking to play his game will get finished or get outpointed. The key to these types of fighters are to blitz them with hyper aggression. Don't give them a chance to think, but force them to simply react instead. More times than not, they won't react well. See Shogun/Machida II for example.

The Pride version of Rampage was tailor-made for Machida. If he comes in swinging to set up takedown slams, and I mean vintage Rampage slams, he'd hurt Machida to the body and finish him within two. But I don't see that happening.

The real question mark tonight is Penn/Hughes III. I can't wait to see that one, as I don't have a clue as to what will happen. Though, talent-wise, Penn should pull it off. But its Penn, and you never know.
Warlord
Just read that Rampage's ring entrance music tonight will be the Pride theme. Hmm... should I change my pick now? laugh.gif
Warlord
Brian Foster just choked out Matt "The Immortal" Brown. Why would an immortal feel the need to tap to a choke?
Warlord
Well, Rampage claims he's bringing back Rampage from the Pride days. But I'm not buying it. I certainly hope so though. I like Rampage and can't stand Machida, and would love nothing better than to see Lyoto get power-bombed to hell.

We'll see though.
Warlord
George Sotiropoulos vs. Joe Lauzon coming up.
Warlord
Very entertaining first round. Impossible to call. Lauzon looked good early and very late, Sotiropoulos looked good in between.
Warlord
Lauzon shot his load in the first. Sotiropoulos finishes him with a Kimura in the second.
Warlord
Phil Davis vs. Tim Boetsch up next.
Warlord
Wow. That GSP-Koscheck promo was officially the gayest thing I've ever seen. Ever.

I miss Pride. cray.gif
Warlord
Man, Phil Davis coming out in pink tights every goddamn fight is starting to look really suspect.
Warlord
Davis wins by 2nd round kimura. What a gay fight up until that point.
Mean Mister Mustard
You are not the only one who misses PRIDE. I was lucky enough to have experienced the Golden Years and nothing the UFC has done so far can equal the magnitude of a PRIDE event. They still put on the best fights out there but there's something about the crowds, the commentators and their ads that just doesn't sit well with me.

By the way, do you think Hughes tries to take the fight to the ground or does he make it a stand-up fight against Penn?
Warlord
Rip Hamilton in the audience tonight. Didn't recognize him without his predator face guard he usually wears.
Warlord
QUOTE (Mean Mister Mustard @ Nov 20 2010, 10:51 PM) *
You are not the only one who misses PRIDE. I was lucky enough to have experienced the Golden Years and nothing the UFC has done so far can equal the magnitude of a PRIDE event. They still put on the best fights out there but there's something about the crowds, the commentators and their ads that just doesn't sit well with me.

Exactly. I got hooked on Pride when I was living in Japan. There just hasn't been anything like it since.

By the way, do you think Hughes tries to take the fight to the ground or does he make it a stand-up fight against Penn?

I actually think Hughes will keep it standing early on, but eventually he'll look to get it on the ground. He can't out-strike BJ.
Mean Mister Mustard
Are you going to watch the Martinez-Williams fight or are you going to stay here covering the UFC event?
Warlord
Gerald Harris vs. Maiquel Jose Falcao Goncalves coming up.
Warlord
QUOTE (Mean Mister Mustard @ Nov 20 2010, 11:02 PM) *
Are you going to watch the Martinez-Williams fight or are you going to stay here covering the UFC event?

Guess I'll stay here with this. What about you?
Mean Mister Mustard
QUOTE (Warlord @ Nov 20 2010, 11:07 PM) *
Guess I'll stay here with this. What about you?

Man, you're choosing MMA over a potential FOTY? What are they giving you to drink over in China?

Since there's no one to discuss the boxing bout in chat tonight, then I will be dropping by here to check your RBR.
Warlord
Maiquel Jose Falcao Goncalves being set up to look spectacular tonight in his UFC debut. Can he pull it off?
Warlord
QUOTE (Mean Mister Mustard @ Nov 20 2010, 11:10 PM) *
Man, you're choosing MMA over a potential FOTY? What are they giving you to drink over in China?

Since there's no one to discuss the boxing bout in chat tonight, then I will be dropping by here to check your RBR.

Haha, yeah. Sorry, I love boxing, but I'm an MMA junkie. laugh.gif I'll check Martinez-Williams out on replay.
Warlord
2 minutes in, no punches landed.
Mean Mister Mustard
QUOTE (Warlord @ Nov 20 2010, 11:13 PM) *
Haha, yeah. Sorry, I love boxing, but I'm an MMA junkie. laugh.gif I'll check Martinez-Williams out on replay.

One's as good as the other.

Is Goncalves the master grappler?
Warlord
Wow. Shades of Haye/Harrison here.
Warlord
Finally Goncalves explodes.
Warlord
WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOWWWWWWWWW! Harris was SAVED by the bell!!!! Goncalves had a DEEP choke.

QUOTE (Mean Mister Mustard @ Nov 20 2010, 11:16 PM) *
One's as good as the other.

Is Goncalves the master grappler?

Naa, Goncalves trains with Chute Boxe, so you know he loves the striking game. 21 wins by KO/TKO.
Warlord
Harris getting WORKED in round 2.
Warlord
Both fighters sucking wind. Goncalves takes the first 2 rounds, but he's slowing down.
Warlord
3rd round looking like the 1st. 0 punches landed through 3 minutes.
Warlord
I wanna heat up some pizza in the microwave, but I'm afraid someone will throw a punch while I'm gone. Guess I'll wait the final excruciating 2 minutes.
Warlord
I'll give Harris the 3rd due to his failed takedown attempt. 0 punches landed in this round. Fans booing louder than I remember in a long time.

Goncalves should take the decision.
Warlord
Goncalves takes it.
Warlord
Penn/Hughes III up next!
Mean Mister Mustard
Hope Penn doesn't just stand there trying to counter punch, waiting for the perfect punch.
Warlord
BJ looking much more intense for this fight than the Edgar fight, where he looked like he was about to cry.

Hughes looking like his same old goofy self, clapping as his own name is called.
Warlord
WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! All done!

BJ finishes Hughes in the 1st minute!
Warlord
Crowd chanting "BJ!"
Warlord
Both guys classy.

This is the BJ Penn conundrum. When he's on, he is ON, and you think, wow, who can beat this guy? And when he's off, he's OFF! Today he was on. And the conundrum lives on.
Mean Mister Mustard
QUOTE (Mean Mister Mustard @ Nov 20 2010, 11:40 PM) *
Hope Penn doesn't just stand there trying to counter punch, waiting for the perfect punch.

Well...
Warlord
QUOTE (Mean Mister Mustard @ Nov 20 2010, 11:40 PM) *

He didn't. He went right after Hughes, right from the beginning. He was head hunting, landed some good shots early (early!) and then finished Hughes in 21 seconds. Brilliant performance by Penn.
Warlord
Rampage/Machida up next! Can they live up to Penn/Hughes III? I some cats hate quick finishes. I love it. Long wars, quick finishes, whatever, it doesn't matter. As long as the fighters are fighting I'm a happy camper.
Mean Mister Mustard
Can Jackson take Machida down? Jackson seemed very listless against Evans and Forrest owned him with leg kicks, so I shudder to think what will happen if he shows up out of shape against Machida.
Warlord
He's doing it ! Rampage coming out to the PRIDE theme!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Warlord
Good round for both fighters. Machida landed some leg kicks and good knees. Rampage was aggressive, landing some good punches, foot stomps, and punches to the leg. Close first round. Rampage needs to be more aggressive, and go for a goddamn slam.
Warlord
Another good round, another close one. Rampage landed some good punches, an uppercut, and got the takedown. Machida more technical with the knees. I would hate to be a judge in this fight.
Warlord
Rampage got hurt, fired back, they're on the ground now. Rampage has to get back up or this is it.
Warlord
Machida went for the arm-bar, Rampage picked up to slam him, Machida jumped out, and the round ended. Machida takes round 3. Who took the first 2?
Warlord
The 3rd was the only definitive round. Damn, I wish this had been 5 rounds.
Warlord
Rampage wins the split decision. Not a robbery, by any stretch. First 2 rounds were close, and Rampage was the aggressor.

Machida has no room to cry, after the 1st Shogun fight.

Rampage pretty classy in victory, says he got his ass whooped, and wants to give Lyoto a rematch.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.