Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Martinez vs Ward
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
streetlion1
I definitely wouldnt mind seeing this fight....could be a classic!

I would have Ward winning but given the styles it could be interesting.
JLUVBABY
QUOTE (streetlion1 @ Nov 22 2010, 08:04 PM) *
I definitely wouldnt mind seeing this fight....could be a classic!

I would have Ward winning but given the styles it could be interesting.

interesting fight on paper but i could see ward just being too big for martinez.. but he's one of those guys that will be competitive with anybody...
kidbazooka1
C'mon fellas Ward too big for Martinez.

I know most want to see an American as the top dog in boxing but Ward isn't that guy.

I know Ward is much more skilled than PW but PW has more pop, pressure and better chin(don't seem like it now)but he does. Ward too me is too damn boring and this is coming from a guy who who born and raised in the same town as Ward. As much as i wanted Ward to be a huge superstar i just don't see it happening. His punch and clinch style ain't cutting it for me he's been pulling that sh*t ever since he first started getting rocked earlier in his career.

Martinez would beat Ward down Ward might give him a little trouble with his movement at first but martinez ain't no dummy he's can box your ears off when he wants too difference is Martinez has shown he can dig deep when the going gets tough Ward hasn't.

Martinez by late rd stoppage.
The Original MrFactor
People keep trying to make Sergia fight guys at 68, like Bute and Ward. There are no names at 160 that we recognize. Despite piopular thinking on here, I still think that the trilogy with Williams may be the most lucrative thing for Serge. I think both guys will fight once or twice in the interim. I think we will revisit these two again possibly next year this time.

Right now, I wouldnt be surprised to see Serge fight Winky Wright as sort of a soft touch. May actually turn out to be a decent fight.
Fitz
QUOTE (kidbazooka1 @ Nov 23 2010, 04:57 PM) *
C'mon fellas Ward too big for Martinez.

I know most want to see an American as the top dog in boxing but Ward isn't that guy.

I know Ward is much more skilled than PW but PW has more pop, pressure and better chin(don't seem like it now)but he does. Ward too me is too damn boring and this is coming from a guy who who born and raised in the same town as Ward. As much as i wanted Ward to be a huge superstar i just don't see it happening. His punch and clinch style ain't cutting it for me he's been pulling that sh*t ever since he first started getting rocked earlier in his career.

Martinez would beat Ward down Ward might give him a little trouble with his movement at first but martinez ain't no dummy he's can box your ears off when he wants too difference is Martinez has shown he can dig deep when the going gets tough Ward hasn't.

Martinez by late rd stoppage.

Yet you pick the hispanic guy, lol.

His punch and clinch style is fine, I have seen it used, but not to disgusting lengths. Him pulling that shit since getting rocked earlier in his career? That shit sounds smart to me, Williams and Cotto could learn a thing or two about clinching. Ward has showed versatility, he outboxed Kessler from the outside, and out muscled and roughed Green up in his next fight fighting inside.
I wasn't sure about Ward a while back, but he has impressed me recently. He looks good.
STEVENSKI
QUOTE (ViperSniper @ Nov 23 2010, 07:46 PM) *
Winky Wright is a fight I was thinking about today. It would be a good fight for Martinez at this point and a good opportunity to get a future HOF veteran on his resume.

Surely you don't mean Winky by that HOF reference? That is reserved for deserving fighters & Winky is about as far from deserving as you get. He has two wins over a overweight twice whipped Mosley & lost every other big fight he has had bar a win over a out of condition tubby Tito.

HOF should be reserved for legends or fighters that are so exciting to watch they become legends. Wright is as boring as they come, grinds out decisions or more likely loses a decision. He makes the most exciting fighters look as boring as he is. Sorry Wright should never ever be let into the HOF.
Hops
Martinez is too good a big guy. He ain't gonna make a fight with any lighter opponents. He may as well try to fight a heavier guy. Sooner or later, he has to.
STEVENSKI
QUOTE (ViperSniper @ Nov 23 2010, 08:25 PM) *
Actually I was. Dudes not that bad laugh.gif

I did not mind seeing Winky fight at all, he was pretty skilled, smart and would let his hands go at times. I don't find him as boring as others do, although I would be throwing on a whole lotta other fighters fights before his lol.

I think it will be good to see how Martinez skills match up against a the skills of a Winky who is as experienced as any fighter Sergio can get his hands on at the moment.

I can see your point & Winky has plenty of experience. He is too old & worn out now to be a worthy challenger & is not in a position to deserve a shot. I just think that a guy who lost most of his big fights* & brings all the excitement of a colonoscopy exam to the ring should never be in the HOF.

* Yeah yeah DLH lost almost all his big fights but he was a exciting fighter to watch at his peak & a enourmous PPV draw.
STEVENSKI
QUOTE (ViperSniper @ Nov 23 2010, 09:23 PM) *
By no means do I think this is a must happen fight nor do I think it should happen but I think it's a good fight out there for Martinez to take for his next.

I agree Winky is old and seen his best days so it won't be a great win but he still has enough skills and experience to make it a solid win. Martinez has not taken a break in his last 4 or so fights and think he can win this fight against a boxer and should take something out of it.

Who you thinkin at the moment?

I have not given it great deal of thought to be honest. I would be happy to see him ruin Chavez jr as that is pure win.
The Ollie Reed Fan Club
QUOTE (STEVENSKI @ Nov 23 2010, 05:54 AM) *
I have not given it great deal of thought to be honest. I would be happy to see him ruin Chavez jr as that is pure win.

I don't like Chavez Jr much either but it would be totally unfair to throw a green horn like him there either.

Hey Martinez isn't young either and I don't think a Winky fight is such a bad idea. Might be interesting to see if he can actually hurt Winky. watcvhing Winky's career I didn't mind either Mosley fight nor the Taylor fight and quite even enjoyed his domination of Trinidad or the grinding fight he had with Hopkins. Winky has been in some decent contests.
STEVENSKI
QUOTE (The Ollie Reed Fan Club @ Nov 23 2010, 10:12 PM) *
I don't like Chavez Jr much either but it would be totally unfair to throw a green horn like him there either.

He is 40-0-1 (30). How fucking ready does the beaner have to be? Or is he gonna be like his old man & get to 89-0 with a few gifts along the way. 40-0 means you should be challenging the elite & if you are not then you have been brought along too slowly. Fuck him Martinez would take his melon head off & I would enjoy seeing it.

QUOTE (The Ollie Reed Fan Club @ Nov 23 2010, 10:12 PM) *
Hey Martinez isn't young either and I don't think a Winky fight is such a bad idea. Might be interesting to see if he can actually hurt Winky. watcvhing Winky's career I didn't mind either Mosley fight nor the Taylor fight and quite even enjoyed his domination of Trinidad or the grinding fight he had with Hopkins. Winky has been in some decent contests.

It may not be a bad fight but I think Winky has to be as undeserving as they come. One fight in 3 years & he lost that with a record of 1-2-1 in his last 4 fights means he has no place in the ring with Martinez. Imagine the uproar if Pac pulled a fight like that? He at least fights guys that have notched up a win recently.
The Ollie Reed Fan Club
QUOTE (STEVENSKI @ Nov 23 2010, 07:25 AM) *
He is 40-0-1 (30). How fucking ready does the beaner have to be? Or is he gonna be like his old man & get to 89-0 with a few gifts along the way. 40-0 means you should be challenging the elite & if you are not then you have been brought along too slowly. Fuck him Martinez would take his melon head off & I would enjoy seeing it.

It may not be a bad fight but I think Winky has to be as undeserving as they come. One fight in 3 years & he lost that with a record of 1-2-1 in his last 4 fights means he has no place in the ring with Martinez. Imagine the uproar if Pac pulled a fight like that? He at least fights guys that have notched up a win recently.

Steve you know that if Arum thought we had some rabid Aussie/Kiwi fanbase that he could sell shit to he would somehow manufacture 40-0 records for us as well laugh.gif

As far as undeserving goes, well Margarito is about as undeserving as they come and he still to got a big fight recently after a long lay off (and OK some warm-up against a journeyman.) Winky taking this fight could not be more undeserving than that.
streetlion1
QUOTE (Fitz @ Nov 23 2010, 02:50 AM) *
Yet you pick the hispanic guy, lol.

His punch and clinch style is fine, I have seen it used, but not to disgusting lengths. Him pulling that shit since getting rocked earlier in his career? That shit sounds smart to me, Williams and Cotto could learn a thing or two about clinching. Ward has showed versatility, he outboxed Kessler from the outside, and out muscled and roughed Green up in his next fight fighting inside.
I wasn't sure about Ward a while back, but he has impressed me recently. He looks good.

I agree totally about Cotto needing to put some clinching in his game....to get back on Ward I agree with you also. If anything I look at Ward as possibly the next great American fighter. Love his versatility....I think Martinez makes it interesting but in no way do I see him outboxing Ward. I think I would have to say Ward wins by U.D.....around 116-112 or somewhere around there.

A Martinez vs Winky Wright fight would be a landslide for Martinez IMO. At this point I think Winkys legs are totally gone....Martinez would easily circle him and outbox him to a U.D. win
kidbazooka1
QUOTE (streetlion1 @ Nov 23 2010, 09:35 AM) *
If anything I look at Ward as possibly the next great American fighter.

Hahahahahahahhahahahhahahahahha

Damn than our hopes are pretty damn low.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.