Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: B-Hop
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
streetlion1
Assuming B-Hop dominates Pascal like I expect....where does he go from there? Dawson? Retirement?

Something tells me he wont retire so who is next for Hopkins?
JD
Bernard will be a month shy of 46...and Pascal in his own backyard is no gimme.

I wouldn't look past this fight.
D-MARV
Hops should beat Pascal. IF he does, I would like to see him fight Dawson or just retire.
Maxy
I'm picking Pascal. He ain't no slouch and he will work his nuts off in this fight, no doubt about it.
Method
Hopkins wins this one EASY.

After that, not real sure. Don't think Dawson is worth the time. After losing to Pascal, there's nothing in that fight for Ex, especially since BEFORE the loss, HBO wasn't looking to pony up any dough for Hopkins/Dawson. They'll be looking to pay even less for a defeated Dawson vs Hopkins.
Spyder
QUOTE (SmartyBeardo @ Nov 23 2010, 10:02 AM) *
This has all the birthmarks of a disputed decision for Pascal. BHop should be looking to finish.

Everytime Hopkins loses it's disputed. You would think that a fighter as ring smart as Hopkins would've started faster, or pressed the action during the second fight with Taylor, right? Nope. Hopkins won't change his slow starting, 20 punches a round output. In fact, he's turned into a fighter that would rather lay on the ground and cry foul to the referee, than actually throw punches in exchanges.

It really has become quite pathetic. I say his best choice of action after this fight is to inquire about early enrollment into AARP.
streetlion1
QUOTE (Spyder @ Nov 23 2010, 09:13 AM) *
Everytime Hopkins loses it's disputed. You would think that a fighter as ring smart as Hopkins would've started faster, or pressed the action during the second fight with Taylor, right? Nope. Hopkins won't change his slow starting, 20 punches a round output. In fact, he's turned into a fighter that would rather lay on the ground and cry foul to the referee, than actually throw punches in exchanges.

It really has become quite pathetic. I say his best choice of action after this fight is to inquire about early enrollment into AARP.

Hopkins punch output has actually gone up since fighting Calslappy....granted it was against Pavlik, Ornealas, and Jones. I think B-Hop just wanted to do anything he could to get the win from Jones even get him disqualified thats why it was so ugly. Combine that with Jones not wanting to engage and style vs style you have a bad fight anyway.

Pascal was on his way out before Dawsons eye got cut...I think Hopkins is gonna outclass Pascal and dare I say stop him...I just dont see Pascal and his rag tag style being able to bother Bernard. Even at this age B-Hop is still one of the best defenders in the game. Look for Hopkins to throw around 40punches a round and win easy.
BoxingStill#1
this fight is going to be a mirrored image of hopkins taylor.....

same outcome I think
Method
Except Pascal doesn't have the energy to fight 3 minutes of most rounds the way Taylor did (up until he kinda gassed in the championship rounds), and 3 minutes of every round the way CalSlappy did...and many had Hopkins winning ALL THREE of those fights.

Versus Dawson, The BEST Pascal could do was 30 seconds a round up until the 9 or 10th, and then he was a dead man walking until he was saved by the accidental cut.

Sorry, 30 second/round winging flurries against a guy w superior defense, footwork, is NOT going to get it done versus Hopkins.

I just don't see it.

I would rather see Bernard lose by brutal beat-down than by a bullshit, home-cooked decision.
Maxy
Different fighter altogether but against Froch, Pascal kept up a good pace in an excellent fight. Froch did prove to have the superior stamina towards the end though admittedly.
JLUVBABY
IF B-Hop wins... He should retire... he really has no where else to go... if he fought again he'd be that much older.... why not go out on top?... A win vs pascal opens him up to defending the title vs younger legit fighters... thing is i dont think he'll beat pascall.. i hope he beats him and my heart is with old school but i dont see him winning that fight... i think pascals youth wins out in this one... we shall see...
Method
Been listening to the age argument since '99.
caneman
I think X should retire after this fight! It's funny, I could see him win this fight easy and I could cry low blow & rabbit punch trying to get free point! If he does like he did vs Jones & Calslappy, I have to say, he shouldn't even take this fight & I love old school Hopkins!

I just want him to give his all & get a nice clean win & go out on top...I don't wanna see the other Hopkins @ all!
Method
I'd rather see him win clean or get his ass kicked.
Snoop
Bernard once again the underdog. I'll be laying some cash on him to pull this one out.
PR316
I'm picking Hopkins, mostly because I don't think Pascal is all that good. Be that as it may, at 46 no fight is a gimme for even a fighter as great as him.

I think against Lucian Bute or Andre Ward though, he would lose.
Spyder
QUOTE (PR316 @ Nov 23 2010, 08:13 PM) *
I'm picking Hopkins, mostly because I don't think Pascal is all that good.

You and Meth are both right. Pascal only fights for 30sec a round. He's athletic, but he shouldn't be in the same sentence as Bernard...nevermind the same ring.

But this version of Hopkins is just flat out pathetic compared to what he used to be. He fights scared, and complains more than the ref's wife. He's become a mockery of himself...like an SNL sketch. The new kids tuning in to watch him fight for the first time won't believe us when we tell them how great he used to be. His lasting image to those kids will be the guy that flopped around faking injury more than a World Cup soccer player.
thehype
Hopkins gets an easier than expected victory. He wouldn't have taken the fight so quickly if he didn't think he could exploit a weakness he saw. For being the younger guy, I think he's only a tad bit more active than ol' Snaggletooth. It'll be ugly, but Hops will win. Now, will he get the decision? That's a different story, but he'll get the win.

laugh.gif

As far as where does he go after the fight? Pretty much wherever he wants to go. Hell, win or lose, I wouldn't be surprised to see Sergio Martinez be foolish enough to meet him at a catchweight, as I'm sure DiBella probably doesn't think Taylor gave Hopkins a good enough beating. LOL. Only way Hops retires is if he catches a SERIOUS beatdown. LOL.
Mean Mister Mustard
If Hopkins is able to beat Pascal, then I doubt he retires. The guy will say "Hey, I'm still beating young guys, why not keep going?"
Snoop
QUOTE (thehype @ Nov 24 2010, 02:25 AM) *
Hopkins gets and easier than expected victory. He wouldn't have taken the fight so quickly if he didn't think he could exploit a weakness he saw. For being the younger guy, I think he's only a tad bit more active than ol' Snaggletooth. It'll be ugly, but Hops will win. Now, will he get the decision? That's a different story, but he'll get the win.

laugh.gif

As far as where does he go after the fight? Pretty much wherever he wants to go. Hell, win or lose, I wouldn't be surprised to see Sergio Martinez be foolish enough to meet him at a catchweight, as I'm sure DiBella probably doesn't think Taylor gave Hopkins a good enough beating. LOL. Only way Hops retires is if he catches a SERIOUS beatdown. LOL.

My thoughts exactly.
Warlord
QUOTE (Spyder @ Nov 23 2010, 10:13 AM) *

I don't know why this myth has continued, as at least two posters here (myself and Fitz) have pointed out on numerous occasions, but Hopkins's output has increased substantially since he moved up from middleweight. 20 punches a round was what Hopkins was averaging at the tail end of his middleweight career. Since moving up, I think he's closer to 35-40 punches a round.
STEVENSKI
QUOTE (thehype @ Nov 24 2010, 01:25 PM) *
Only way Hops retires is if he catches a SERIOUS beatdown. LOL.

I live in hope & I like Hopkins.
The Original MrFactor
Not sure that Hopkins dominates Pascal. Bernard will make it a difficult fight, but at what point does age factor in. From the Dawson fight, I saw Pascal as a bull who charges in, fights and then sits back and sucks wind. Pascal may be taylor made for Hopkins. I expect a boring fight where one guy charges like a tasmanian devil and the other guy steps aside and counters. Will those counters be enough to win the fight? Will Pascal appear to land enough punches during his bull rushes to win a decision.
Method
Taylor Made
Method
QUOTE (Spyder @ Nov 23 2010, 09:07 PM) *
You and Meth are both right. Pascal only fights for 30sec a round. He's athletic, but he shouldn't be in the same sentence as Bernard...nevermind the same ring.

But this version of Hopkins is just flat out pathetic compared to what he used to be. He fights scared, and complains more than the ref's wife. He's become a mockery of himself...like an SNL sketch. The new kids tuning in to watch him fight for the first time won't believe us when we tell them how great he used to be. His lasting image to those kids will be the guy that flopped around faking injury more than a World Cup soccer player.

Way too off on that assessment, man. Way too off.
King Eugene
Hopkins "Son's" him! We'll be back on here talking about how great a fighter he is at such an old age and naming all the young up and comers he should fight. Hopkins is a boxing genius. He knows exactly what he is doing. He thrives off being the under dog.

Pascal only fighting for 30 seconds a round will benefit Hopkins more than it does Pascal. I expect Hopkins to be more aggressive this fight because he knows he has to win decisively in Canada and since the JT fight his work rate has gone no where but up while his opponents work rates have all decreased against him. He'll counter Pascal when Pascal throws and leave him self wide open which will make Pascal reluctant to throw later in the fight when he's winded(we all know he gasses) and the incoming is more damaging than the out going.

Hopkins whips his ass!
The CEO
Jean Pascal is a Light Heavyweight version of Andre Berto...

That said, I LIKE the fact Pascal is willing to fight the big names around his weight...I also have to say he's very lucky Dawson chose to mail it in against him...

I think if Hopkins is at least 50%, he's got this...because Pascal is more flash than substance.
Maxy
Hopkins should win this, he's obviously a far more accomplished fighter. Pascal doesn't have a jab and tends to throw loads of hooks, something which won't trouble Bernard in the slightest. People have noted how Hopkins is busier since moving up in weight. He'll need to be because this fight will go against him if the rounds are close. Controversial or not, I'm gonna pick Pascal to win the fight on the cards via close decision.
Col Reb
I want to see him step to David Haye for the HW title. There's nothing left for him of significance at LHW. It's time to either move up to HW and fight Haye, Toney, or Holyfield or just retire. Personally, I hope he goes after Haye.
Warlord
QUOTE (King Eugene @ Nov 24 2010, 08:23 AM) *
Hopkins "Son's" him!

I was just about to make a topic in General Discussion about dead internet meme's that no one uses anymore, and I was inspired to do so because I began to wonder why no one ever used the phrase "sonned [insert fighter's name)." laugh.gif

Thanks for bringing it back, King. Now I don't have to make that topic anymore. laugh.gif
King Eugene
QUOTE (Warlord @ Nov 24 2010, 08:59 PM) *
I was just about to make a topic in General Discussion about dead internet meme's that no one uses anymore, and I was inspired to do so because I began to wonder why no one ever used the phrase "sonned [insert fighter's name)." laugh.gif

Thanks for bringing it back, King. Now I don't have to make that topic anymore. laugh.gif

laugh.gif

We say it all the time around my way. You never want to get "sonned" or be called "son."
SmartyBeardo
QUOTE (King Eugene @ Nov 24 2010, 11:58 PM) *
laugh.gif

We say it all the time around my way. You never want to get "sonned" or be called "son."

Thank omnipotence, I have a Dad. Therefore I am "sonned."
BoxingStill#1
QUOTE (Method @ Nov 23 2010, 04:41 PM) *
I would rather see Bernard lose by brutal beat-down than by a bullshit, home-cooked decision.

that will be the day...........

QUOTE (Method @ Nov 23 2010, 08:43 PM) *
I'd rather see him win clean or get his ass kicked.

well neither have ever happened in his career!....lol
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.