Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Pacquiao - Margarito ends up doing 1.15 million buys
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
Pages: 1, 2
JD
So is this number more in line with what people expected? Is it a disappointing number?
Spyder
QUOTE (JD @ Nov 23 2010, 01:01 PM) *
So is this number more in line with what people expected? Is it a disappointing number?

That number is more in line with what I expected.
caneman
QUOTE (JD @ Nov 23 2010, 01:01 PM) *

I still think it's good numbers really! Especially in this economy I would think! What do you think JD?
JD
This sounds like a solid number despite Arum's hopes for 1.25 million.
D-MARV
This is more like I expected. Pacquiao just isn't the PPV star that Mayweather is but still a great number!
gravytrain
It's a disappointing number, I've my doubts as to whether or not there will be Mayweather/Pac in the future now.
D-MARV
I don't see what's so disappointing about 1.15 million buys... it's a great number. A few short years ago, guys were only collecting 300K-400K buys and it was considered a success.
gravytrain
I misread the 1.15 and thought it's 1.5, never mind now. Arum probably wishes it did 1.5 million lol. I think it's kind of disappointing considering all the attention this fight has received.
Maxy
I think it's disappointing but you people get charged way too much for your PPV's so it's understandable. I'll add, I thought 1.4 was disappointing also though.
JLUVBABY
in my opinion not a bad number... specially when you think its a lot of people that go to bww or different pubs and sports bars to watch the fights these days... and you take into account fight parties etc... if and or when pac and mayweather sign to fight they will i am pretty sure double this amount of buyers.... its the only fight really worth making for either fighter... unless the other fighters name is martinez after saturday night... lol... they are on a collision course..
gravytrain
QUOTE (JLUVBABY @ Nov 23 2010, 04:16 PM) *
in my opinion not a bad number... specially when you think its a lot of people that go to bww or different pubs and sports bars to watch the fights these days... and you take into account fight parties etc... if and or when pac and mayweather sign to fight they will i am pretty sure double this amount of buyers.... its the only fight really worth making for either fighter... unless the other fighters name is martinez after saturday night... lol... they are on a collision course..

You know, I think it'll happen. Mayweather needs this fight, Pac says he doesn't but he needs this fight, and this fight is guaranteed to make both parties lots of money.

I can't even imagine the hype leading up to this fight.

QUOTE (Maxy @ Nov 23 2010, 04:01 PM) *
I think it's disappointing but you people get charged way too much for your PPV's so it's understandable. I'll add, I thought 1.4 was disappointing also though.

What kind of PPV buys do they get in the UK?
STEVENSKI
QUOTE (D-MARV @ Nov 24 2010, 07:13 AM) *
This is more like I expected. Pacquiao just isn't the PPV star that Mayweather is but still a great number!

I just don't see it.

Pac vs Margarito was two guys who can't speak the queens english proper & neither are American yet they do 1.15.

PBF vs Mosley was two American fighters fighting on a American network in America & they did what 1.2?

Sorry but I will take two foreigners being within 100K buys as the bigger draw overall.

Do we have a global figure for this or is it based of only US PPV buys & therefore biased in the extreme towards American fighters.

Have vs Fraudley did 800K buys in the UK alone out of a population of 60M people. American has a long way to go to catch up with supporting boxing. Maxy is right about the numbers.
gravytrain
QUOTE (STEVENSKI @ Nov 23 2010, 04:52 PM) *
I just don't see it.

Pac vs Margarito was two guys who can't speak the queens english proper & neither are American yet they do 1.15.

PBF vs Mosley was two American fighters fighting on a American network in America & they did what 1.2?

Sorry but I will take two foreigners being within 100K buys as the bigger draw overall.

Do we have a global figure for this or is it based of only US PPV buys & therefore biased in the extreme towards American fighters.

Have vs Fraudley did 800K buys in the UK alone out of a population of 60M people. American has a long way to go to catch up with supporting boxing. Maxy is right about the numbers.

Well obviously being American will have its advantages when reaching the American market but anyone can make it in America if they get the right marketing. The only thing people care about is entertainment, they don't care whether they're from America or not. Unless you win a gold medal for America being American means jack shit. There are lots of American fighters the general public knows nothing about.
Snoop
QUOTE (STEVENSKI @ Nov 23 2010, 09:52 PM) *
I just don't see it.

An American nationality only matters when the other fighter isn't American. Otherwise, where would you be able to put all that patriotism if both guys are from the same place?
thehype
It's a DISAPPOINTING number because....

1) So many people, particularly "diehard" fans, bought into the hype that Pacquiao was having "the worst camp ever" and actually believed that Margarito had a shot.

2) Bob Arum is now 100% confident that he can put Pacquiao in with ANYONE and still do great numbers, so why even bother putting him in against a fighter who has a promoter that he'll have to share the wealth with?

3) The chances of Mayweather vs. Pacquiao ever happening just got a little bit slimmer.

Get ready for Pacquiao vs. Mosley on May 7, 2011.

fool.gif

That is all. Carry on.
The Ollie Reed Fan Club
QUOTE (gravytrain @ Nov 23 2010, 05:20 PM) *
Well obviously being American will have its advantages when reaching the American market but anyone can make it in America if they get the right marketing. The only thing people care about is entertainment, they don't care whether they're from America or not. Unless you win a gold medal for America being American means jack shit. There are lots of American fighters the general public knows nothing about.

I think being an American matters for an American audience. Same as any country, you will get higher viewing figures when either or both fighters are from that country.

Plus they had a big promo but neither guy really speaks English. Some might regard that as inconsequential but I don't. Audiences these days want everything fed to them on to a plate and when you have to watch a 24/7 and half of it has subtitles and the other half is barely legible has got to count.

I think the numbers are actually pretty solid when all things are considered.

gravytrain
QUOTE (The Ollie Reed Fan Club @ Nov 23 2010, 09:43 PM) *
I think being an American matters for an American audience. Same as any country, you will get higher viewing figures when either or both fighters are from that country.

Plus they had a big promo but neither guy really speaks English. Some might regard that as inconsequential but I don't. Audiences these days want everything fed to them on to a plate and when you have to watch a 24/7 and half of it has subtitles and the other half is barely legible has got to count.

I think the numbers are actually pretty solid when all things are considered.

There are a lot of American fighters that Americans know nothing about, the fighters people do know about are known because of their marketing and promoter. Unless they win a gold medal and ride the gravytrain of medaling they're not guaranteed shit. Andre Ward is the last American to get a gold medal in boxing and if I tried to ask someone about Andre Ward they'd say "who?", if I asked them about what boxers they know about they'd probably say "Mayweather and Pacquiao", the two most heavily marketed fighters.

I honestly can't say I've ever heard of someone talking about buying a PPV because the fighters are American, they buy them because they think it'll be a good fight. I couldn't even keep track of how many people that know I watch boxing ask me about Pac/Margarito, they were people that don't even really watch fights either. What they did know was Pac and Margarito were on 24/7 and 24/7 made it seem like it's going to be the fight of the century, that the fight was getting attention on ESPN, and that they seen Pac on talk shows. They were far more concerned about that than nationality.
The Ollie Reed Fan Club
QUOTE (gravytrain @ Nov 23 2010, 11:29 PM) *
There are a lot of American fighters that Americans know nothing about, the fighters people do know about are known because of their marketing and promoter. Unless they win a gold medal and ride the gravytrain of medaling they're not guaranteed shit. Andre Ward is the last American to get a gold medal in boxing and if I tried to ask someone about Andre Ward they'd say "who?", if I asked them about what boxers they know about they'd probably say "Mayweather and Pacquiao", the two most heavily marketed fighters.

I honestly can't say I've ever heard of someone talking about buying a PPV because the fighters are American, they buy them because they think it'll be a good fight. I couldn't even keep track of how many people that know I watch boxing ask me about Pac/Margarito, they were people that don't even really watch fights either. What they did know was Pac and Margarito were on 24/7 and 24/7 made it seem like it's going to be the fight of the century, that the fight was getting attention on ESPN, and that they seen Pac on talk shows. They were far more concerned about that than nationality.

So if Pac fought with the same boring ass style of Floyd he would be generating 1.15 million buys? Oh get outta here. Pac earns his ratings becaue he brings excitement to the table. Forget whether the guys are weight drained or whatever he's prepared to get down and dirty and people will tune in for that shit.

Yeah I understand that a lot of American fighters aren't known but really what does that prove? If you look at the top PPV stars over the past 15 years they are all American (Manny apart.). If either Klit despite their boring style were American they'd be huge in the states. Fact. The idea that someone's nationality doesn't have at least some bearing on how they sell in their own country is plain stupid.
Hops
So, we all acknowledged a lot of factors affecting PPV buys. Also, remember that Floyd suddenly got injured when news of slow ticket sales for his initial schedule against Marquez. Remember, they moved the fight to a later date. Economy, other sports schedules, etc. etc. etc.
gravytrain
QUOTE (The Ollie Reed Fan Club @ Nov 24 2010, 06:10 AM) *
So if Pac fought with the same boring ass style of Floyd he would be generating 1.15 million buys? Oh get outta here. Pac earns his ratings becaue he brings excitement to the table. Forget whether the guys are weight drained or whatever he's prepared to get down and dirty and people will tune in for that shit.

Yeah I understand that a lot of American fighters aren't known but really what does that prove? If you look at the top PPV stars over the past 15 years they are all American (Manny apart.). If either Klit despite their boring style were American they'd be huge in the states. Fact. The idea that someone's nationality doesn't have at least some bearing on how they sell in their own country is plain stupid.

No, Mayweather helped generate 2.5 million buys and got 1.4-1.5 with Mosley by being an asshole on camera though. He might not be entertaining to the casual fan in the ring but he entertains them outside of it.

Most of the top fighters over the years have been American, in divisions that receive attention anyway. And no, the Klits wouldn't be huge in the states no matter how you look at it. They didn't get dropped by networks because they're from another country, they got dropped because there's no entertainment with them inside or outside the ring. They're nice guys, they can't sell a fight inside or outside of the ring though. Unless they were WASPs.

OK, why isn't Andre Ward a PPV star? Why has this cat been doing jack shit on Showtime up until the Super Six? He's an American Olympic gold medalist, that should guarantee him something right? No. As an American I can tell you that people here want to be entertained, they don't care if you're American or not. What about all the other Americans that no one knows? The fighters people do know about have mainstream exposure and do something to sell their fights.
Maxy
gravytrain...just curious here for a second....who are these American fighters that nobody knows about? Or do you just mean "nobody" as in the general public?
gravytrain
QUOTE (Maxy @ Nov 24 2010, 02:23 PM) *
gravytrain...just curious here for a second....who are these American fighters that nobody knows about? Or do you just mean "nobody" as in the general public?

Honestly, I think inactive fighters are probably more well known than some of our American champions and premier fighters. The only active fighter I can think of that most people know by name and is widely known is Mayweather. I'm using that in the general public sense.

I think being an American fighter in America just doesn't carry the same clout as it'd if you were a domestic fighter in another nation. America just has such a variety of sports and so many athletes that it's hard for that American boxer to really break into the mainstream. I think the biggest advantage American fighters have is being able to start their career in America rather than having to crossover to America.
Maxy
QUOTE (gravytrain @ Nov 24 2010, 03:34 PM) *
Honestly, I think inactive fighters are probably more well known than some of our American champions and premier fighters. The only active fighter I can think of that most people know by name and is widely known is Mayweather. I'm using that in the general public sense.

I think being an American fighter in America just doesn't carry the same clout as it'd if you were a domestic fighter in another nation. America just has such a variety of sports and so many athletes that it's hard for that American boxer to really break into the mainstream. I think the biggest advantage American fighters have is being able to start their career in America rather than having to crossover to America.

OK, cool...and this ain't a diss but is this a relatively new thing in America? At one time America dominated and I really don't see that as the case these days. Even the very best American fighters don't have the aura of their contemporaries. I know you've got a broad variety of sports no-one else in the world gives a fuck about but this shouldn't be at the detriment to boxing, considering the massive history your nation has on this magnificent sport.
SmartyBeardo
QUOTE (gravytrain @ Nov 24 2010, 01:34 PM) *

I couldn't even find the results of SMartinez v PWill in any local newspaper on Sunday (fortunately, since I DVRed it and got to see it without knowing the face plant of it).
gravytrain
QUOTE (Maxy @ Nov 24 2010, 03:43 PM) *
OK, cool...and this ain't a diss but is this a relatively new thing in America? At one time America dominated and I really don't see that as the case these days. Even the very best American fighters don't have the aura of their contemporaries. I know you've got a broad variety of sports no-one else in the world gives a fuck about but this shouldn't be at the detriment to boxing, considering the massive history your nation has on this magnificent sport.

You know, I don't think the sport of boxing has fallen off, I think there aren't many fighters out there trying to create an opportunity. America has always been the land of opportunity and American fighters don't want to do shit. They're not going bear hunting like Ali, they're not making an asshole out of themselves like Mayweather, and they're not knocking cats the hell out like Tyson. They want PPV stardom while making moves like they want to be Emmanuel Augustus.

I can't really speak on when it happened, someone that has been following boxing longer than me would have to answer that. But here in America the sporting channels have the NFL, MLB, NBA, NHL, NASCAR, NCAA football, NCAA basketball, and golf whenever Tiger Woods is playing to cover. Between the NFL and NBA it can consume a lot of time on ESPN, then most of the time on talk shows you see NFL players and NBA players. Even when a boxer does make it on TV it's only a PPV star or the Olympic team.

Snoop
QUOTE (The Ollie Reed Fan Club @ Nov 24 2010, 11:10 AM) *

I REALLY don't think Floyd's current popularity is due to him being American, in fact, I would say most Americans would consider him very un-American. On the other hand, has Floyd been able to succeed in his career because he's born and raised in a nation considered the mecca of boxing? Absolutely. The opportunities and the resources were available to him when they aren't to fighters in other nations, like a Pacquiao, who has to manhandle his way to gain America's attention. But people don't continually tune into Floyd because he's some all American superstar, they tune into him because he's an asshole, because he's controversial, and quite honestly, because most people hope to see him get KTFO.
Snoop
QUOTE (gravytrain @ Nov 24 2010, 08:34 PM) *

Spot on. It's not simply because they're American, but because they were able to take advantage of all the things that come with being American.
The Ollie Reed Fan Club
QUOTE (Snoop @ Nov 24 2010, 04:02 PM) *
I REALLY don't think Floyd's current popularity is due to him being American, in fact, I would say most Americans would consider him very un-American. On the other hand, has Floyd been able to succeed in his career because he's born and raised in a nation considered the mecca of boxing? Absolutely. The opportunities and the resources were available to him when they aren't to fighters in other nations, like a Pacquiao, who has to manhandle his way to gain America's attention. But people don't continually tune into Floyd because he's some all American superstar, they tune into him because he's an asshole, because he's controversial, and quite honestly, because most people hope to see him get KTFO.

Fame/infamy same difference. Floyd was clever enough to realize that his boxing style was never going to appeal to the mainstream fan so he created a persona that would raise his profile and have many people tune in to see him lose. Kudos to Floyd for being canny enough to latch on to that. Do I think this routine would sell as well in America if he was an Australian? Get the fuck outta here.
Snoop
QUOTE (The Ollie Reed Fan Club @ Nov 25 2010, 12:51 AM) *
Fame/infamy same difference. Floyd was clever enough to realize that his boxing style was never going to appeal to the mainstream fan so he created a persona that would raise his profile and have many people tune in to see him lose. Kudos to Floyd for being canny enough to latch on to that. Do I think this routine would sell as well in America if he was an Australian? Get the fuck outta here.

You're right, he probably wouldn't be able to do any of that if he wasn't American, but his popularity isn't JUST because he's American.
gravytrain
QUOTE (The Ollie Reed Fan Club @ Nov 24 2010, 06:51 PM) *

Man, motherfuckers in America have made millions of dollars by putting videos on Youtube. Don't ever doubt the willingness for Americans to throw money at something somebody is telling them to buy. Jersey Shore is the corniest shit I've ever seen in my life and that has made all the people on it millionaires and their show gets audiences only rivaled by NFL games.

If they're entertaining people will pay to watch them. It wouldn't matter if they're Australian, African, Asian, or American.

The Ollie Reed Fan Club
QUOTE (gravytrain @ Nov 24 2010, 02:16 PM) *
No, Mayweather helped generate 2.5 million buys and got 1.4-1.5 with Mosley by being an asshole on camera though. He might not be entertaining to the casual fan in the ring but he entertains them outside of it.

Most of the top fighters over the years have been American, in divisions that receive attention anyway. And no, the Klits wouldn't be huge in the states no matter how you look at it. They didn't get dropped by networks because they're from another country, they got dropped because there's no entertainment with them inside or outside the ring. They're nice guys, they can't sell a fight inside or outside of the ring though. Unless they were WASPs.

OK, why isn't Andre Ward a PPV star? Why has this cat been doing jack shit on Showtime up until the Super Six? He's an American Olympic gold medalist, that should guarantee him something right? No. As an American I can tell you that people here want to be entertained, they don't care if you're American or not. What about all the other Americans that no one knows? The fighters people do know about have mainstream exposure and do something to sell their fights.

Answer me this. Why is Pac so hugely popular in the Phillipines? Why is Danny Green so massive in Australia? Why is Hatton so loved in England. Why when Tua gets off his tubby arse does he do massive viewing numbers in NZ? Why are the Klits so big in their adopted country of Germany? Why does JMM rate throiught the roof in Mexico?

It's called national pride. Extra fans will always gravitate to a fighter if they feel a nationalistic affinity with that fighter. Don't believe me then check out the examples above. In some cases these guys aren't/weren't the best in their own divisions but that didn't stop them from pulling huge viewing numbers in their homeland. In some other cases it is because they are excelllent boxers and great entertainers, but you can be sure that if Manny was Chinese he wouldn't stop the masses in the Phillipines the way he does now.

Are you now telling me that in America, one of the most patriotic countries in the world, a boxer being American would have no relevance on their popularity/profile? Seriously are you bullshitting me? Wow if that's the case that's really sad. Sad that American fans don't have any kind of national pride to support their own.

As for the Klits, c'mon Gravy you damn well know if they were Johnny and Jimmy Guido they would be fucking huge in the States. Look at Tommy Morrisson, a guy with not even half the career or career KO's that either brother has. Before he got Aids he was halfway towards becoming a superstar in America.

Even more recently that tubby Joe Mesi was starting to develop a really big fan base with no talent at all. Imagine if he'd won a strap? The guy would've been huge.

Now as for your Andre Ward example, that is facile at best. Try actually reading my posts on the subject. Nowhere have I said that being American GUARANTEES you'll be a PPV star in America. You need a few things for that to happen. You need good management, promotion, good marketing, good matchmaking, natural charisma and a TV pleasing style. Sorry but Ward falls short of the mark in a few of those areas. That is why he is not a star.

I'll say it one last time. Whilst being from the States is no guarantee of PPV success, when you break through it has to be worth an added pop in viewing figures in your own country. As I've said in every other country I can think of it would certainly be worth some added numbers if only for the casual fan buying a fight to see one of their countrymen win a title etc.

However you may be right, maybe Americans simply don't care about Americans anymore and there isn't the national pride that ensures that they have extra success in their own country. I feel sorry for you if that is the case.

Snoop
QUOTE (The Ollie Reed Fan Club @ Nov 25 2010, 01:09 AM) *
Answer me this. Why is Pac so hugely popular in the Phillipines? Why is Danny Green so massive in Australia? Why is Hatton so loved in England. Why when Tua gets off his tubby arse does he do massive viewing numbers in NZ? Why are the Klits so big in their adopted country of Germany? Why does JMM rate throiught the roof in Mexico?

It's called national pride. Extra fans will always gravitate to a fighter if they feel a nationalistic affinity with that fighter. Don't believe me then check out the examples above. In some cases these guys aren't/weren't the best in their own divisions but that didn't stop them from pulling huge viewing numbers in their homeland. In some other cases it is because they are excelllent boxers and great entertainers, but you can be sure that if Manny was Chinese he wouldn't stop the masses in the Phillipines the way he does now.

Are you now telling me that in America, one of the most patriotic countries in the world, a boxer being American would have no relevance on their popularity/profile? Seriously are you bullshitting me? Wow if that's the case that's really sad. Sad that American fans don't have any kind of national pride to support their own.

As for the Klits, c'mon Gravy you damn well know if they were Johnny and Jimmy Guido they would be fucking huge in the States. Look at Tommy Morrisson, a guy with not even half the career or career KO's that either brother has. Before he got Aids he was halfway towards becoming a superstar in America.

Even more recently that tubby Joe Mesi was starting to develop a really big fan base with no talent at all. Imagine if he'd won a strap? The guy would've been huge.

Now as for your Andre Ward example, that is facile at best. Try actually reading my posts on the subject. Nowhere have I said that being American GUARANTEES you'll be a PPV star in America. You need a few things for that to happen. You need good management, promotion, good marketing, good matchmaking, natural charisma and a TV pleasing style. Sorry but Ward falls short of the mark in a few of those areas. That is why he is not a star.

I'll say it one last time. Whilst being from the States is no guarantee of PPV success, when you break through it has to be worth an added pop in viewing figures in your own country. As I've said in every other country I can think of it would certainly be worth some added numbers if only for the casual fan buying a fight to see one of their countrymen win a title etc.

However you may be right, maybe Americans simply don't care about Americans anymore and there isn't the national pride that ensures that they have extra success in their own country. I feel sorry for you if that is the case.

But again the American nationality only comes into play when the other guy isn't American. If Pacquiao was fighting another Filipino fighter, they'd probably still be rooting for him, but not because he's Filipino. Same with all the other examples you gave. Same reason as to why the Mosley vs Mayweather fight is no reflection on the level of pride American viewers has in it's fighters.

You're also homogenizing the American demographic. We ARE the most diverse nation in the world, filled with citizens from all corners of the world, and because of that, an "American" identity has become ambiguously defined. There are plenty of first generation immigrant Americans that hold more allegiance to their homeland than this one and because of that, don't necessarily "feel" American enough to start waving a flag and singing the national anthem.
The Ollie Reed Fan Club
QUOTE (Snoop @ Nov 24 2010, 07:20 PM) *
But again the American nationality only comes into play when the other guy isn't American. If Pacquiao was fighting another Filipino fighter, they'd probably still be rooting for him, but not because he's Filipino. Same with all the other examples you gave. Same reason as to why the Mosley vs Mayweather fight is no reflection on the level of pride American viewers has in it's fighters.

You're also homogenizing the American demographic. We ARE the most diverse nation in the world, filled with citizens from all corners of the world, and because of that, an "American" identity has become ambiguously defined. There are plenty of first generation immigrant Americans that hold more allegiance to their homeland than this one and because of that, don't necessarily "feel" American enough to start waving a flag and singing the national anthem.

Nope still not getting it (but then again nothing new there.) My whole point, my only point, is that being a great American boxer must help your PPV numbers in America. Now I'm not saying that that is the ONLY thing that helps but it's got to be worth a few extra buys. It would be in every other country in the world.

As for your countryman V. countryman example I have a recent one for you. In NZ by far the largest PPV numbers in the history of PPV in our country was last year when David Tua fought a palooka called Shane Cameron. Never heard of him? Don't worry not many others have either laugh.gif

Cameron is also a Kiwi and a very very average HW. The buy numbers for this fight were obscene simply because people wanted to watch 2 New Zealanders go at it hammer and tong. It had nothing to do with the quality of the fighters, more where they came from.

And you know what Snoop I'd even argue that you're the most diverse nation in the world. That's a very bold statemnt to make my friend, based on what evidence? Hmmmmm that should keep you busy for a while laugh.gif
Snoop
QUOTE (The Ollie Reed Fan Club @ Nov 25 2010, 01:37 AM) *
Nope still not getting it (but then again nothing new there.) My whole point, my only point, is that being a great American boxer must help your PPV numbers in America. Now I'm not saying that that is the ONLY thing that helps but it's got to be worth a few extra buys. It would be in every other country in the world.

And apparently you're not getting MY point. You started by saying Pacquiao wouldn't be popular if he had Floyd's "boring-ass style". I said that Floyd's American nationality gave him the opportunity to be popular, but it didn't guarantee his popularity. But again, for some reason you're hanging on shit we agree on.

dntknw.gif

As for your countryman V. countryman example I have a recent one for you. In NZ by far the largest PPV numbers in the history of PPV in our country was last year when David Tua fought a palooka called Shane Cameron. Never heard of him? Don't worry not many others have either laugh.gif

Cameron is also a Kiwi and a very very average HW. The buy numbers for this fight were obscene simply because people wanted to watch 2 New Zealanders go at it hammer and tong. It had nothing to do with the quality of the fighters, more where they came from.

But they didn't root harder for either guy because he was from NZ. That would be stupid since the other guy has the exact same quality. I mean I get your point, it's a much bigger deal there than it is here simply for the fact that gravy pointed out that Americans are bombarded with so much entertainment that it's not really an event when two Americans go at it. I'm just saying that nationality plays more of a factor when you have one nation going up against another, which is something that didn't happen in the Mosley vs Mayweather fight, which is why I don't think you can say Americans don't care about their fighters based off just that fight, which is why I got into the whole debate to begin with. But to be fair, it's not something directed at you, just found it relevant to the discussion.

And you know what Snoop I'd even argue that you're the most diverse nation in the world. That's a very bold statemnt to make my friend, based on what evidence? Hmmmmm that should keep you busy for a while laugh.gif

It is a bold statement to make and other countries have a lot more diversity than the average American gives them credit for, but I wouldn't be surprised if the USA still came out on top. I guess it all depends on how you define "diversity" in the first place. I'd rather not debate it since it's a bit off-topic, but if you REALLY wanna argue it, I'm game. Start another thread with some evidence that American isn't the most diverse nation in the world.
gravytrain
QUOTE (The Ollie Reed Fan Club @ Nov 24 2010, 07:09 PM) *

Primarily because those countries have or had a fighter that reached the highest stage so obviously the country will support the only thing they've got. It'd be like if an American went on to be successful in F1, Americans that wouldn't normally care would watch him just because he's the only American competing at that level in the sport.

There's national pride but not like you're trying to make it out to be. Being an American fighter means jack shit in America, your marketability and promoter is everything. Nobody got to the top just by being American. Andre Ward is really marketable and he's fucking around on Showtime lol. Come on now, man. Seriously now. Andre Ward, Olympic gold medalist and devout Christian.. No mainstream success outside of his home town. Where is his nationality helping him? lol.

Sure there's. Look at it like this though; Pac isn't American and he's probably received more attention than an American boxer, Mayweather, has. How could you account for that? It's because of his marketability and his promoter.

If they were William and David Tebow maybe. Unless Wlad and Vitali were white, conservative, and Christian they wouldn't be getting the success you're thinking of. If they were just two American HWs they'd probably get the same amount of attention the guys will get when the Klits retire.

Tommy Morrison had shit going on for him outside of boxing, he'd a famous relative and was in a Rocky movie. That's why he was becoming a superstar, not because he's American. As for Joe Mesi, maybe a big fan base to some standard but not mainstream.

LOL come on man, that guarantees you superstardom anyway. That would be like saying "being a good player doesn't mean you'll make it as a quarterback in the NFL, you just need a 4.0 40, be able to throw the ball 100 yards and hit a water bottle, read defenses easier than a child's book, and completely dominate the SEC".

I think you're just looking for a way to account for the difference between Mayweather's PPV and Pac's PPV. Want to know what it's? People wanted to see Mayweather lose. We Americans love controversy and Mayweather provides it, that's probably why Pac only got a Road To Dallas and Mayweather got a 24/7. His antics get people to watch HBO because he makes a fool of himself. Mayweather isn't championed as America's fighter by the general public, he's a clown that people love to hate.

If we were talking about De La Hoya I'd agree but Mayweather is no DLH.
The Ollie Reed Fan Club
QUOTE (Snoop @ Nov 24 2010, 08:00 PM) *
And apparently you're not getting MY point. You started by saying Pacquiao wouldn't be popular if he had Floyd's "boring-ass style". I said that Floyd's American nationality gave him the opportunity to be popular, but it didn't guarantee his popularity. But again, for some reason you're hanging on shit we agree on.

dntknw.gif

But they didn't root harder for either guy because he was from NZ. That would be stupid since the other guy has the exact same quality. I mean I get your point, it's a much bigger deal there than it is here simply for the fact that gravy pointed out that Americans are bombarded with so much entertainment that it's not really an event when two Americans go at it. I'm just saying that nationality plays more of a factor when you have one nation going up against another, which is something that didn't happen in the Mosley vs Mayweather fight, which is why I don't think you can say Americans don't care about their fighters based off just that fight, which is why I got into the whole debate to begin with. But to be fair, it's not something directed at you, just found it relevant to the discussion.

It is a bold statement to make and other countries have a lot more diversity than the average American gives them credit for, but I wouldn't be surprised if the USA still came out on top. I guess it all depends on how you define "diversity" in the first place. I'd rather not debate it since it's a bit off-topic, but if you REALLY wanna argue it, I'm game. Start another thread with some evidence that American isn't the most diverse nation in the world.

I certainly think not being from America, not speaking English, yeah having Floyd's style would be a tough sell for Pac. Floyd loves to play like he's some tough thug from the streets. He certainly likes to try and play the 'gangsta' which is a reasonably American concept yeah? It ensures that some love and relate to him and others want to throttle him. His whole play though is around the American success story and for that he dials in to the American pysche.

To be honest in NZ hardly anyone has heard of him. You could say we are a small country and nobody cares (and they'd be right laugh.gif ) but here's the point. In NZ we don't relate to Floyd's thug life persona we only judge him on his fights, if they are exciting etc. Same with manny. It's the reason why Manny is a much bigger draw in a neutral country like ours than in America. I'd be interested to know from Steve of Fitz as to which fighter is better known in Oz.

My round about point is Floyd's success or infamy or whatever you want to call it, in America is so successful there because it is a persona scripted soley for that audience.

If you feel that if Floyd were Japanese and spoke no English he would be just as successful with his PPV numbers in America as he is now then fair play to you I can't change your mind. Me? I can't see it myself.

I'll also disagree with the countries thing making it a bigger rivalry. Just seeing the way American's get into the whole East Coast/West Coast thing and your football, basketball and baseball finals I don't think you need to have guys from different countries to make the rivalry bigger.

As long as the chemistry is good that's enough. Shoot if Roy Jones and James Toney came along now, with PPV and 24/7 and all the rest of that stuff, darn that fight would be HUGE. Undefeated trash talkers like those two? You'd be looking at 2 mill. buys easy.
The Ollie Reed Fan Club
QUOTE (gravytrain @ Nov 24 2010, 08:17 PM) *
Primarily because those countries have or had a fighter that reached the highest stage so obviously the country will support the only thing they've got. It'd be like if an American went on to be successful in F1, Americans that wouldn't normally care would watch him just because he's the only American competing at that level in the sport.

There's national pride but not like you're trying to make it out to be. Being an American fighter means jack shit in America, your marketability and promoter is everything. Nobody got to the top just by being American. Andre Ward is really marketable and he's fucking around on Showtime lol. Come on now, man. Seriously now. Andre Ward, Olympic gold medalist and devout Christian.. No mainstream success outside of his home town. Where is his nationality helping him? lol.

Sure there's. Look at it like this though; Pac isn't American and he's probably received more attention than an American boxer, Mayweather, has. How could you account for that? It's because of his marketability and his promoter.

If they were William and David Tebow maybe. Unless Wlad and Vitali were white, conservative, and Christian they wouldn't be getting the success you're thinking of. If they were just two American HWs they'd probably get the same amount of attention the guys will get when the Klits retire.

Tommy Morrison had shit going on for him outside of boxing, he'd a famous relative and was in a Rocky movie. That's why he was becoming a superstar, not because he's American. As for Joe Mesi, maybe a big fan base to some standard but not mainstream.

LOL come on man, that guarantees you superstardom anyway. That would be like saying "being a good player doesn't mean you'll make it as a quarterback in the NFL, you just need a 4.0 40, be able to throw the ball 100 yards and hit a water bottle, read defenses easier than a child's book, and completely dominate the SEC".

I think you're just looking for a way to account for the difference between Mayweather's PPV and Pac's PPV. Want to know what it's? People wanted to see Mayweather lose. We Americans love controversy and Mayweather provides it, that's probably why Pac only got a Road To Dallas and Mayweather got a 24/7. His antics get people to watch HBO because he makes a fool of himself. Mayweather isn't championed as America's fighter by the general public, he's a clown that people love to hate.

If we were talking about De La Hoya I'd agree but Mayweather is no DLH.

Thanks for addressing none of my points.
JLUVBABY
I think its fair to say that america doesnt back its fighters like other countries... we as a whole dont support our fighters like we do football teams basketball etc... its a shame too... the hattons, pacs, etc are like a franchise in their respected countries... they back their fighters and get behind them... thats the one bad thing about american boxing today... cnn and espn used to follow the sport down to usa tuesday night fights... a championship fight is lucky to get 30 seconds of coverage.... something bad has to happen or it has to be a super fight to get coverage these days....
gravytrain
QUOTE (JLUVBABY @ Nov 24 2010, 08:36 PM) *
I think its fair to say that america doesnt back its fighters like other countries... we as a whole dont support our fighters like we do football teams basketball etc... its a shame too... the hattons, pacs, etc are like a franchise in their respected countries... they back their fighters and get behind them... thats the one bad thing about american boxing today... cnn and espn used to follow the sport down to usa tuesday night fights... a championship fight is lucky to get 30 seconds of coverage.... something bad has to happen or it has to be a super fight to get coverage these days....

Come on, J. Obviously cats are getting plastered all over the media because they're American.. Or is it the 300 American athletes the media has to choose from? It's not like American boxers don't have to compete against the NFL and NBA that's loaded with superstars either. lol.

Only time I see boxing really get some attention is when Mayweather is going to fight, even then it's mainly just HBO and ESPN.

QUOTE (The Ollie Reed Fan Club @ Nov 24 2010, 08:24 PM) *

You haven't made any points and your argument completely collapsed on itself. If your argument had any credibility then Ward would have had more mainstream success. What you listed; "You need good management, promotion, good marketing, good matchmaking, natural charisma and a TV pleasing style." is what's going to make you a star in America, it'll make you a star whether you're American or Australian.

The biggest advantage American fighters have is the ability to start getting exposure the minute they start competing on the international level.
SmartyBeardo
QUOTE (The Ollie Reed Fan Club @ Nov 24 2010, 06:24 PM) *

Ollie, the fact is that boxing is largely ignored by the American media. It is like a shitty parent that ignores one child over another. They hope that their ignorance will make it just go away.

Americans catch a lot of grief for a perceived ultra patriotism. This is, once again, largely a creation of the media. It foments the patriotic fervor in an easily influenced demographic and hits the rest of us over the head with it over and over again.

Don't get me wrong, I feel extremely lucky to have been born in the USA, and I have and will defend my country. But, I believe that there is still a silent majority of us that defend the ideals of the Constitution of the United States of America over the geography, the flag or a sense of nationalism.

We believe in Life, Liberty and The Pursuit of happiness for all citizens, and we fight to evolve toward greater inclusiveness. We believe in The Rule of Law and Equal Justice under it. That does not mean that Equal Justice exists but simply that we the people continue to fight for it.

I believe in these truths for every man, woman and child on this planet, not just in the USA, and I fight every single day toward that end.

I like PWill, but I was pulling for the Argentinian. Does that make me less American? On the contrary, that is what Americans are all about.

I am a partner in a small local business that competes directly with three multinational corporations. When I speak at seminars and chamber meetings, I certainly tout the fact that we are local, that we are American, that our clients' money churns in the local economy. But, in the next breath I state that nobody should be doing business with my company solely because we are local and American. If our product sucks, you should not purchase it.

Competition breeds excellence. I admire excellence no matter what corner of the globe it originates from. Just because a boxer or a car is American does not mean I am interested in rooting for him or buying it.
Snoop
QUOTE (The Ollie Reed Fan Club @ Nov 25 2010, 02:23 AM) *
I certainly think not being from America, not speaking English, yeah having Floyd's style would be a tough sell for Pac. Floyd loves to play like he's some tough thug from the streets. He certainly likes to try and play the 'gangsta' which is a reasonably American concept yeah? It ensures that some love and relate to him and others want to throttle him. His whole play though is around the American success story and for that he dials in to the American pysche.

To be honest in NZ hardly anyone has heard of him. You could say we are a small country and nobody cares (and they'd be right laugh.gif ) but here's the point. In NZ we don't relate to Floyd's thug life persona we only judge him on his fights, if they are exciting etc. Same with manny. It's the reason why Manny is a much bigger draw in a neutral country like ours than in America. I'd be interested to know from Steve of Fitz as to which fighter is better known in Oz.

My round about point is Floyd's success or infamy or whatever you want to call it, in America is so successful there because it is a persona scripted soley for that audience.

If you feel that if Floyd were Japanese and spoke no English he would be just as successful with his PPV numbers in America as he is now then fair play to you I can't change your mind. Me? I can't see it myself.

I'll also disagree with the countries thing making it a bigger rivalry. Just seeing the way American's get into the whole East Coast/West Coast thing and your football, basketball and baseball finals I don't think you need to have guys from different countries to make the rivalry bigger.

As long as the chemistry is good that's enough. Shoot if Roy Jones and James Toney came along now, with PPV and 24/7 and all the rest of that stuff, darn that fight would be HUGE. Undefeated trash talkers like those two? You'd be looking at 2 mill. buys easy.

Valid points but again, I think this whole argument is hinging on something we agree on.

laugh.gif
The Ollie Reed Fan Club
QUOTE (SmartyBeardo @ Nov 24 2010, 09:04 PM) *
Ollie, the fact is that boxing is largely ignored by the American media. It is like a shitty parent that ignores one child over another. They hope that their ignorance will make it just go away.

Americans catch a lot of grief for a perceived ultra patriotism. This is, once again, largely a creation of the media. It foments the patriotic fervor in an easily influenced demographic and hits the rest of us over the head with it over and over again.

Don't get me wrong, I feel extremely lucky to have been born in the USA, and I have and will defend my country. But, I believe that there is still a silent majority of us that defend the ideals of the Constitution of the United States of America over the geography, the flag or a sense of nationalism.

We believe in Life, Liberty and The Pursuit of happiness for all citizens, and we fight to evolve toward greater inclusiveness. We believe in The Rule of Law and Equal Justice under it. That does not mean that Equal Justice exists but simply that we the people continue to fight for it.

I believe in these truths for every man, woman and child on this planet, not just in the USA, and I fight every single day toward that end.

I like PWill, but I was pulling for the Argentinian. Does that make me less American? On the contrary, that is what Americans are all about.
I am a partner in a small local business that competes directly with three multinational corporations. When I speak at seminars and chamber meetings, I certainly tout the fact that we are local, that we are American, that our clients' money churns in the local economy. But, in the next breath I state that nobody should be doing business with my company solely because we are local and American. If our product sucks, you should not purchase it.

Competition breeds excellence. I admire excellence no matter what corner of the globe it originates from. Just because a boxer or a car is American does not mean I am interested in rooting for him or buying it.

I really like this reply and when you speak about America you always do it well and with great sensitivity. Are you any less of a patriot for pulling for the Argie? Hell no. Boxing, pro-boxing at least, is an individual sport and we are free to like who we like without judgement.

My point, my only point is this. Do I personally believe it Pac was born an American, spoke with an American accent and fought under an American flag do I think that would add to a few extra buys on his PPV? Yes I do. I think it would mean a few more casual sports fans would buy it. It's really that simple.

I'm not here to deceminate American society, boxing's place in the pysche of the mainstream fan or even what makes a PPV star, but thanks for your reply.
The Ollie Reed Fan Club
QUOTE (Snoop @ Nov 24 2010, 09:13 PM) *
Valid points but again, I think this whole argument is hinging on something we agree on.

laugh.gif

Same for you Snoop see my previous reply to Smarty.

Now as for that fucken Gravy................................... laugh.gif
Snoop
QUOTE (The Ollie Reed Fan Club @ Nov 25 2010, 03:41 AM) *
Same for you Snoop see my previous reply to Smarty.

drinks.gif
SmartyBeardo
QUOTE (Snoop @ Nov 24 2010, 07:50 PM) *
drinks.gif

Hey! Why can't three Icons have a damned beer together on this site?

Cheers.
King Eugene
QUOTE (SmartyBeardo @ Nov 25 2010, 01:58 AM) *
Hey! Why can't three Icons have a damned beer together on this site?

Cheers.

Probably because three dudes hugging and laughing is um well.................gay!

just saying...
Snoop
QUOTE (King Eugene @ Nov 25 2010, 08:27 AM) *
Probably because three dudes hugging and laughing is um well.................gay!

just saying...

Somebody feels left out...
King Eugene
QUOTE (Snoop @ Nov 25 2010, 03:29 AM) *
Somebody feels left out...

No Sir...you guys can have it.

Just give me a...

and a brew and we good. No need for taco meat rubbing.
Snoop
QUOTE (King Eugene @ Nov 25 2010, 08:37 AM) *
No Sir...you guys can have it.

Just give me a...

and a brew and we good. No need for taco meat rubbing.

friends.gif
STEVENSKI
QUOTE (The Ollie Reed Fan Club @ Nov 25 2010, 12:23 PM) *

I can't really speak for anyone else but as a example I watched Pac vs Cotto & Mayweather vs Mosley at the pub. The pub was far more packed for the pac fight than the Floyd fight. Actually it was embarrasing that Floyd had around 1/2 the people watching in the pub as Pac did. It got worse after round 8 & people started leaving the venue.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.