Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Marquez vs Katsidis
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
Fitz
This fight is coming up this weekend, and a big fight at 135 and for some real titles. Marquez defending his status as undisputed lightweight champion.

This should be a very tough fight, and a tough fight to pick as well. I am leaning towards Katsidis by late stoppage. I think it will be a good fight, but Marquez has aged, his legs are no longer the same and I think Katsidis will be too fresh. I also think he will take the death of his brother as motivation. I seen him on TV recently, and looks to be in excellent shape.
A fight I have been looking forward to for a long time.

I'm going with Katsidis by late stoppage. Who does everyone else have?
gravytrain
I'm going to go with Marquez by MD.
caneman
Great fight but I am gonna take Katsidis by stoppage and it's more of a feeling then what I actually think! I think all the wars & ring wear catches up to JMM!
D-MARV
Marquez is going to fuck Katsidis up! I expect to see some sparks fly early and this can possibly turn out as the FOTY. At the end of the day, I think that Marquez ring brilliance and accurate shots will slice Katsidis up. Marquez TKO11
Mean Mister Mustard
Marquez has slowed down considerably. His footwork especially, as JD has pointed out on numerous occasions, is not what it was when he was trouncing guys like Medina and Peden. Marquez has never been a guy who rolls with shots or who uses a lot of head movement. Instead, he relies on using his legs to get out of range or to use his excellent counter punching to dissuade his opponents form throwing back. Today though, his relfexes have slowed down and thus gets hit more. It won't help that he's going to be in against a guy who is almost as active as Juan Diaz i, but that can also punch hard.

What does help though, is the fact that Katsidis is not hard to miss and that his face seems to be made out of cock foreskin, which means it's very thin. He won his fight handily against Escobedo but even then he was cut. I would not be surprised to see him cut in 3 different places against a sharp counter puncher like JMM.

Katsidis has been on a good run since the Diaz loss, and has always given his opponents tough fights. This will be no exception but I see JMM adapting to Katsidis's pace and putting enough rounds in the bank to win a decision.
Fitz
QUOTE (Mean Mister Mustard @ Nov 24 2010, 02:02 PM) *
Marquez has slowed down considerably. His footwork especially, as JD has pointed out on numerous occasions, is not what it was when he was trouncing guys like Medina and Peden. Marquez has never been a guy who rolls with shots or who uses a lot of head movement. Instead, he relies on using his legs to get out of range or to use his excellent counter punching to dissuade his opponents form throwing back. Today though, his relfexes have slowed down and thus gets hit more. It won't help that he's going to be in against a guy who is almost as active as Juan Diaz i, but that can also punch hard.

What does help though, is the fact that Katsidis is not hard to miss and that his face seems to be made out of cock foreskin, which means it's very thin. He won his fight handily against Escobedo but even then he was cut. I would not be surprised to see him cut in 3 different places against a sharp counter puncher like JMM.

Katsidis has been on a good run since the Diaz loss, and has always given his opponents tough fights. This will be no exception but I see JMM adapting to Katsidis's pace and putting enough rounds in the bank to win a decision.

Pretty good breakdown MMM, the other thing is that Katsidis is a little bit chinny, he can be hurt.
Mean Mister Mustard
QUOTE (Fitz @ Nov 23 2010, 10:24 PM) *
Pretty good breakdown MMM, the other thing is that Katsidis is a little bit chinny, he can be hurt.

Thanks Fitz.

Katsidis might get stopped due to an accumulation of punches, like in the Casamayor fight where he had eaten a lot of shots and his defense broke down as he tired. The same thing might happen here but he's just so strong, and I would actually argue that he's faster than Marquez, particularly with his lead straight right hand. Whether JMM wins or loses, this fight is going to take a lot out of him.
kidbazooka1
Unless Marquez grows old overnight he should win this one.

I see JMM starting off kinda shaky and maybe getting rocked once or twice in the early rds but once he finds his rythm like he always does i see him busting and cutting up Katsidis to take a TKO stoppage late in the fight.
STEVENSKI
If Marquez can be caught early like against Pac he will be in a shitload of trouble. Rocky can bang hard & finish well. My heart is telling me Rocky by brutal KO that elevates him in the eyes of many. Logic says JMM is still a excellent counterpuncher & if he can get his timing right he will win possibly by late stoppage.
AussieLad
Marquez by tko round 10
mexi-cutioner
I think Katsidis has improved drastically since his loss vs. Diaz and has shown he can beat slick fighters in Escobedo and Mitchell who imo, are more than just stepping stones. Katsidis' win streak against notable opponents should have him at a high in terms of confidence and at Marquez nearing the twilight of his career, this is a good opportunity for Katsidis to add a future HOF onto his resume and set up bigger paydays. With that being said, this will be a tough one for katsidis to pulll offf and although I expect a Marquez victory, a part of me is rooting Katsidis and believes he may actually be able to snag this one with a stoppage
The CEO
I like both these guys...they're what Boxing's all about...

I have to go with Marquez due to his vast technical superiority and experience...stoppage due to cuts perhaps.
streetlion1
I have Marquez winning this fight via unanimous decision. It will be a war but Marquez I feel is gonna have too much skill. I think JMM will be rocked early but recover and at the end will win having landed the harder shots and using Katsidis aggressive style against him.
TheFonz
Marquez by KO in 9.
JLUVBABY
i can see another possible fight of the year bout to go down this weekend.... should be a barn burner...
JD
I am taking Katsidis to win a close decision...my gut says late stoppage, but Marquez has seen it all and will still be there in the end.
Fitz
QUOTE (The CEO @ Nov 25 2010, 01:03 AM) *

I have to go with Marquez due to his vast technical superiority and experience...stoppage due to cuts perhaps.

That's it CEO. Exactly what boxing is about. I have almost forgotten what it's like to see an undisputed champion taking on a very worthy mandatory that fights in the same division, lol. This is exactly what boxing is about.
I'm going with Katsidis, though I just keep remembering what Casamayor did to him late in the fight. Casamayor had experience and it showed, and Katsidis lack of experience showed as well. He just about had that fight wrapped up and he let it slip. It will be interesting to see if he learns from his mistakes.
Snoop
QUOTE (The CEO @ Nov 24 2010, 03:03 PM) *

+1
lloyd mayflower
Cant make a prediction in this one, not only cos my mind changes on a daily basis, but also cos as CEO says, these two guys are why we love this sport. They are two immensly likeable humble guys who want to fight everyone and anyone and give it their all.

Once again, another top class fight that I will have to scrape around the internet to see tho. Fuckin sick of the constant anti-british TV rants!
gbh32001
There's is no doubt in my mind that JMM will end Kats career but I like underdogs...
SmartyBeardo
QUOTE (gbh32001 @ Nov 26 2010, 05:02 AM) *
There's is no doubt in my mind that JMM will end Kats career but I like underdogs...

End his career? Really?

I have JMM by late TKO but if I was betting on a career being ended I would bet on it being JMM's.
JLUVBABY
QUOTE (SmartyBeardo @ Nov 26 2010, 06:54 AM) *
End his career? Really?

I have JMM by late TKO but if I was betting on a career being ended I would bet on it being JMM's.

i agree... imma huge fan of jmm but he has been through some serious wars... at has a chance in this fight... if he controls his agression this wil be a classic... this year is turning out to be one of the better fight years in memorable history in my opinion...
gbh32001
QUOTE (SmartyBeardo @ Nov 26 2010, 08:54 PM) *
End his career? Really?

Yup, JMM is very motivated on this one because of one thing. And Michael has no defense all out slugger, he's face will be bloodied morethan what Margacheato did to Cotto.
hitman harding
I don't care who wins as long as theres some action ..... My heart thinks Katsidis but you can't look past Marquez too get the win
Maxy
I like Marquez in this fight but Katsidis will bring it on and it should be a great night. Trouble is, like Mayflower pointed out, it's gonna be difficult for me to catch it cos the dumb fucks over here ain't got it on anywhere TV wise.
Mean Mister Mustard
Katsidis actually seems like a smart fighter in there has an idea of what he wants to do. He has been working in improving his defense and I'm pretty sure he's not going to try and rush in like Diaz did in the 1st fight. Still, the problem with him is that once he gets hit, then his face splits up.
alaganza
I am hoping this time I can settle in and watch a good fight. That was my thought for Martinez and Williams and the lights went out for Williams in the second.

This one should go longer. I have JMM getting to the stoppage late with Katsidis helping him get there due to his aggressive style. JMM gets the KO. Katsidis gets the assist. drinks.gif
JLUVBABY

JLUVBABY
i voted marquez but im wondering if he's not too batlle worn the closer the fight comes... this is gonna be an interesting fight....
The CEO
If Marquez is impressive against Katsidis, he will move up to #3 on my P4P list...
JLUVBABY
QUOTE (The CEO @ Nov 26 2010, 07:36 PM) *
If Marquez is impressive against Katsidis, he will move up to #3 on my P4P list...

i can see that... marquez is a beast...
AussieLad
If katsidis is going to win, i think its a case of that he must drop marquez hard and early. Once marquez makes a few adjustments he will pick apart rocky. As soon as he's knocked him down he must swarm going for the kill. He cant box with marquez and win a decision
Hops
Here's my top 4 P4P list after Marquez defeats Katsidis:

#1. Floyd
#2. Sergio
#3. Marquez
#4. Pacman

laugh.gif
Fitz
QUOTE (The CEO @ Nov 27 2010, 12:36 PM) *

Exactly. One of the reasons I love this fight is that both have so much to gain. A lot of times in a fight, one guy is rewarded more for a win than if the other were to win, but who ever wins, is going to be a very impressive win, and will help either fighter.
Snoop
Well, unlike some fights we've seen in recent times, this one is actually competitive.
SmartyBeardo
The sun is rising, I turn on the classic rock station and Street Fighting Man comes on. I smell rib eyes, Russian Standard, sweet pussy and War in the distance.

Ha, ha, ha, ha, ha . . . blood.
TheFonz
QUOTE (TheFonz @ Nov 24 2010, 10:33 AM) *
Marquez by KO in 9.

Did I call it or what?
Fitz
QUOTE (TheFonz @ Nov 28 2010, 03:47 PM) *
Did I call it or what?

Nice call dude.
BrutalBodyShots
QUOTE (TheFonz @ Nov 27 2010, 11:47 PM) *
Did I call it or what?

You should have bet that round man... you'd be sitting pretty with a round pick bet! Good prediction regardless.

The CEO
Doesn't get much more impressive than that, does it?...he gets dropped by a full power shot right on the button, gets up, and then goes on to school and stop a VERY LIVE Katsidis?

After his long and storied career...after all the wars....at his age...

1. Mayweather

2. Martinez

3. Marquez
lloyd mayflower
Dont know how you can have a list with JMM at number 2 (fair enough the man is awesome) but then have Floyd instead of Pac. JMM gets on there because hes fighting and beating guys, so is Pac. If JMM and Sergios recent performances are enough to edge anyone out of the top 3, its Floyd
Hops
And I don't know what's the meaning of VERY LIVE Katsidis. Is VERY LIVE KATSIDIS=VERY LIVE OPPONENT? Based on recent accomplishments, I don't consider Katsidis a very live opponent. If Katsidis has already been beaten by two men that you have already beat, then why is he very live all of a sudden? Well, he is alive, not a live.
JLUVBABY
QUOTE (SmartyBeardo @ Nov 28 2010, 09:35 AM) *
1. SMartinez

2. JMM

3. PBF

4. Pac

Boxing is passing #3 and 4 by.

It is called a mandatory defense of a legit belt at the legit weight, Hops. Team QuackMeow should try it sometime. It beats the circus freak show they have been offering up.

both statements are very true... solid post...
Hops
If people wanted to elevate Marquez in the P4P list, they could have done so earlier. Not after beating a guy who was already beaten by his opponents that he has already beaten. So, tell me people, is Katsidis a real deal that a win over him would warrant an elevation to P4P?
lloyd mayflower
My opinion, for what its worth, is that stopping Katsidis and putting in a good performance does raise Marquez's stock. So yes, I guess is my answer
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.