Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Martinez says he would KO Pac & PBF
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
Pages: 1, 2, 3
caneman
Strong words but how do y'all think it would play out?
gravytrain
Not strong words, Martinez would beat the dog shit out of Pacquiao. I see him winning convincingly against Mayweather too. I wish Martinez had the chance to whoop both their asses just to bring those bitches back to reality.

caneman
QUOTE (gravytrain @ Nov 25 2010, 12:08 AM) *
Not strong words, Martinez would beat the dog shit out of Pacquiao. I see him winning convincingly against Mayweather too. I wish Martinez had the chance to whoop both their asses just to bring those bitches back to reality.

I think he is too big for Pacman but I think PBF comes into fights 155-160 & would love to see him KO PBF...It would be a thing of beauty IMO & PBF's shoulder roll is meant for right handed fighter not lefties! I still don't see PBF going anywhere near Martinez. The funny thing is I could see Pacman doing it but it would be a bad move IMO! I think Pwill will be going for a rematch! But IMO Martinez is fighter of the year & has the KO of the year thus far! I would really love to see him get a big pay day! He deserves it big time! Classy guy too!
Snoop
If he doesn't have to come in at a catchweight, then yeah, I definitely think he could and should.
The Ollie Reed Fan Club
Sergio is a legit 160 pounder with fast hands. I have no doubt he would knock out both guys who shouldn't be north of 147 pounds unless it fighting in the De La hoya sweepstakes.
caneman
QUOTE (The Ollie Reed Fan Club @ Nov 25 2010, 12:26 AM) *
Sergio is a legit 160 pounder with fast hands. I have no doubt he would knock out both guys who shouldn't be north of 147 pounds unless it fighting in the De La hoya sweepstakes.

Against JMM PBF looked very close to 160 to me, 157 min, and since he is better than SRR I think he should go for it!!!!! lolz! Please Floyd!
BigG
He could probably beat the shit out of Pacquaio ala Marquez but Mayweather is a different style matchup. He could probably outpoint Martinez in a chess match type fight. Mayweather is faster and sharper.
caneman
QUOTE (Snoop @ Nov 25 2010, 12:24 AM) *
If he doesn't have to come in at a catchweight, then yeah, I definitely think he could and should.

Yea both would have to have a catch weight but @ 154 if he can still make it, he would still do it! Again, to me, PBF is the only one close to being big enough...
Snoop
Floyd is naturally bigger than Pacquiao and his style is to outbox, not to overwhelm. He'd have a much better chance at beating Sergio.
caneman
QUOTE (BigG @ Nov 25 2010, 12:45 AM) *
He could probably beat the shit out of Pacquaio ala Marquez but Mayweather is a different style matchup. He could probably outpoint Martinez in a chess match type fight. Mayweather is faster and sharper.

If it ever happens, we could sig bet on the fight no problem!
D-MARV
I think he stops Pacquiao but Floyd would last the distance.
Snoop
QUOTE (caneman @ Nov 25 2010, 05:47 AM) *
Yea both would have to have a catch weight but @ 154 if he can still make it, he would still do it! Again, to me, PBF is the only one close to being big enough...

154 is fine if both parties agree, just don't make it for a middleweight strap
caneman
QUOTE (Snoop @ Nov 25 2010, 12:48 AM) *
Floyd is naturally bigger than Pacquiao and his style is to outbox, not to overwhelm. He'd have a much better chance at beating Sergio.

AGREED but I think Martinez wins & even gets stopped! I agree with your statement though! It would be interesting to see for sure!
The Ollie Reed Fan Club
QUOTE (caneman @ Nov 24 2010, 11:44 PM) *
Against JMM PBF looked very close to 160 to me, 157 min, and since he is better than SRR I think he should go for it!!!!! lolz! Please Floyd!

I think the heaviest Floyd has come in was for the De la Hoya fight yeah? I thought that was one of his lesser performances. For legacy sake I'd love to see Floyd step up and take the challenge, it would certainly be old school of him, but I can't hate on him if he doesn't.
D-MARV
Floyd weighed 148 on fight night against De La Hoya (actually 2 pounds less than he weighed in). No offical weights were released for his last two fights but I assume that he was around 155-156 for both fights. He seemed pretty big in those fights.
King Eugene
I'd rather see Martinez clean out 160 and let the smaller guys stay at the smaller weights. If he want's to challenge anyone small at least be a legit 154 pounder. If not there are a few options at middleweight and some super middles he could fight as well. I'm tired of all these money fights that take forever and a day to negotiate.
caneman
QUOTE (D-MARV @ Nov 25 2010, 01:04 AM) *
Floyd weighed 148 on fight night against De La Hoya (actually 2 pounds less than he weighed in). No offical weights were released for his last two fights but I assume that he was around 155-156 for both fights. He seemed pretty big in those fights.

WOW, 148 for sure man? I believe that 155ish cause he looked big...you know what made him look even bigger vs Mosley? How long he fought once he turned side ways I fought wide with that jab & right hand....it made him look big than he was somehow! Don't you agree?
gravytrain
QUOTE (BigG @ Nov 24 2010, 11:45 PM) *

Not going to happen. Unless Martinez got completely robbed he'd win on workrate alone. I see him controlling the fight with his output and giving Mayweather all he could handle.

Martinez is just too strong, can box, and has the stamina to beat Mayweather. Now I give Mayweather a better chance against Martinez than Pac, both of them would be in trouble against Martinez.

QUOTE (caneman @ Nov 24 2010, 11:22 PM) *
I think he is too big for Pacman but I think PBF comes into fights 155-160 & would love to see him KO PBF...It would be a thing of beauty IMO & PBF's shoulder roll is meant for right handed fighter not lefties! I still don't see PBF going anywhere near Martinez. The funny thing is I could see Pacman doing it but it would be a bad move IMO! I think Pwill will be going for a rematch! But IMO Martinez is fighter of the year & has the KO of the year thus far! I would really love to see him get a big pay day! He deserves it big time! Classy guy too!

No fucking way. Pac isn't going to go near Martinez even if he'd to, which he doesn't. Pac said he wont be fighting past 35 so he's 3 more years, it'll probably be Cotto II, Mosley, and Mayweather.

In all honesty I think Mayweather could get a one way ticket to the canvas if Martinez caught him like Mosley did. I really think Martinez would just get a clear decision though.
STEVENSKI
Yeah that may be true about Martinez beating the dogshit out of both guys but hey Wlad would smash his head in too.

Stupid analogy just like the thought of these two welters fighting a middle. It is not like they can grow into middleweights they have grown into welterweights from being featherweights. Ridiculous in the extreme IMO.
gravytrain
QUOTE (caneman @ Nov 25 2010, 12:19 AM) *
WOW, 148 for sure man? I believe that 155ish cause he looked big...you know what made him look even bigger vs Mosley? How long he fought once he turned side ways I fought wide with that jab & right hand....it made him look big than he was somehow! Don't you agree?

I'm pretty sure Mayweather said he stays around 155 between fights.
King Eugene
QUOTE (STEVENSKI @ Nov 25 2010, 12:23 AM) *
Yeah that may be true about Martinez beating the dogshit out of both guys but hey Wlad would smash his head in too.

Stupid analogy just like the thought of these two welters fighting a middle. It is not like they can grow into middleweights they have grown into welterweights from being featherweights. Ridiculous in the extreme IMO.

My thoughts exactly! We are getting too caught up in these super fights.
Snoop
QUOTE (King Eugene @ Nov 25 2010, 06:27 AM) *
My thoughts exactly! We are getting too caught up in these super fights.

Blame Max Kellerman and the HBO crew.
caneman
QUOTE (gravytrain @ Nov 25 2010, 01:23 AM) *
Not going to happen. Unless Martinez got completely robbed he'd win on workrate alone. I see him controlling the fight with his output and giving Mayweather all he could handle.

Martinez is just too strong, can box, and has the stamina to beat Mayweather. Now I give Mayweather a better chance against Martinez than Pac, both of them would be in trouble against Martinez.

No fucking way. Pac isn't going to go near Martinez even if he'd to, which he doesn't. Pac said he wont be fighting past 35 so he's 3 more years, it'll probably be Cotto II, Mosley, and Mayweather.

In all honesty I think Mayweather could get a one way ticket to the canvas if Martinez caught him like Mosley did. I really think Martinez would just get a clear decision though.

I think Cotto & Mosley would be a waste of time for Pacman and for some reason don't see him fighting past 2011 and don't get me wrong, there is no way I think Pac should fight Martinez even @ 154, I am just saying he might have the balls to try it. You see in my eyes, Pac would go out on his shield to please his fans! IMO there is only one fight left for Pacman & that's PBF & if that fight is gonna happen, they better start getting the fight signed right away cause I really think PBF is going to @ least jail & again I don't see Pacman fighting past 2011 with maybe a fight vs a guy like Berto! But I wouldn't be suprised if it's PBF or done for Pacman!
kidbazooka1
Martinez/Pac would be a war but Martinez would take Manny out in the middle rds IMO thought thats no knock on Manny who is naturally a 135lb guy. As for Mayweather he would never eve nmentioned Martinez name he would pretend he doesn't exist but if the fight ever happened Martinez would work him over aswell.

Martinez p4p maybe the best fighter in boxing today.
gbh32001
I'll wait for Floyd talking shit against Sergio calling all his two loses as an excuse of not fighting him....You guys should listen to senior,he said "wait he is a lefty, I don't like Floyd fight a lefty,he fought 3x a lefty guy and it turn out all difficult for him".There you are, the father knows best...Sergio should stay in the MW,Floyd should go to jail and Pac should fight JMM@140.
SmartyBeardo
QUOTE (BigG @ Nov 24 2010, 09:45 PM) *

I agree that PBF is faster and sharper but SMartinez is stronger, very fast, smart and has at least an equal heart. This is the matchup. This is better than Pac v PBF.

QUOTE (Snoop @ Nov 24 2010, 09:48 PM) *

True.

QUOTE (D-MARV @ Nov 24 2010, 09:51 PM) *
I think he stops Pacquiao but Floyd would last the distance.

Maybe.

QUOTE (The Ollie Reed Fan Club @ Nov 24 2010, 10:01 PM) *
I think the heaviest Floyd has come in was for the De la Hoya fight yeah? I thought that was one of his lesser performances. For legacy sake I'd love to see Floyd step up and take the challenge, it would certainly be old school of him, but I can't hate on him if he doesn't.

And we can hate on him either way.

QUOTE (gbh32001 @ Nov 24 2010, 11:05 PM) *
I'll wait for Floyd talking shit against Sergio calling all his two loses as an excuse of not fighting him....You guys should listen to senior,he said "wait he is a lefty, I don't like Floyd fight a lefty,he fought 3x a lefty guy and it turn out all difficult for him".There you are, the father knows best...Sergio should stay in the MW,Floyd should go to jail and Pac should fight JMM@140.

I'm with you on the bold.
gravytrain
QUOTE (caneman @ Nov 25 2010, 12:50 AM) *
I think Cotto & Mosley would be a waste of time for Pacman and for some reason don't see him fighting past 2011 and don't get me wrong, there is no way I think Pac should fight Martinez even @ 154, I am just saying he might have the balls to try it. You see in my eyes, Pac would go out on his shield to please his fans! IMO there is only one fight left for Pacman & that's PBF & if that fight is gonna happen, they better start getting the fight signed right away cause I really think PBF is going to @ least jail & again I don't see Pacman fighting past 2011 with maybe a fight vs a guy like Berto! But I wouldn't be suprised if it's PBF or done for Pacman!

Not when he gets 20 million to beat up some chumps. Plus it wouldn't even matter if he lost to Mayweather at 35 because he could just say Mayweather waited for him to get worn down and old.

I don't really see Pac as the brave fighter you see him as, if that was the case he would have made a fight with Mosley. The fact Mosley is even a fucking possible opponent now let's you know what time it's. When he was a threat they wanted nothing to do with him, now that he looks old and very beatable he can get a fight.

QUOTE (STEVENSKI @ Nov 25 2010, 12:23 AM) *

Well Pac didn't have any problems facing someone similar in size to Martinez in Margarito and Mayweather and Martinez would be comparable on fight night so it's not that far of a stretch and definitely isn't anything like a comparison of Martinez fighting Wlad. If Martinez comes in at 154 then what's the beef?

I guess boxing is just a bitch and one day these cats might actually have to face a prime challenger with an advantage over them, or we could see them fight smaller fighters not as skilled as Martinez.
Fitz
Martinez should just keep his mouth shut, they are welter weights and he is the undisputed middleweight champion of the world.
Snoop
QUOTE (Fitz @ Nov 25 2010, 07:16 AM) *
Martinez should just keep his mouth shut, they are welter weights and he is the undisputed middleweight champion of the world.

Agreed. His comments definitely aren't helping to stop the traveling circus act.
Hops
Martinez was being interviewed and he has to answer politely. He has done so. And honestly.
SmartyBeardo
QUOTE (ViperSniper @ Nov 25 2010, 01:44 AM) *
I don't think anything he said was out of line or so ludicrous. The media keep bringing those fighters up to him and he is just responding to them like he should.

I agree, fights involving Martinez against the other 2 is not needed at the moment. If we can't get the best 2 in the world to fight each other or a legit test in there own division(s) then why waste energy talking about fights against Sergio?

Also, people are getting too used to this mentality where every single fight from this point on has to be a mega fight. In reality how is it there is all these mega fights to be made without any legitimate fights to be made in between them??

But hey! Who cares if a fight is a mismatch, undeserving, questionable, wrong or most importantly the outcome of the fight is average. We can always convince the public next time it's legit by giving them tv series leading upto the fight & play highlight footage of past ATG's in the arena before the fighters come out..just to add a more authentic feel the fight that's about to take place! Even if we did serve the public shit we can refer back to number$ the fight made and say how much of a success it is and how 'boxing is back'! pardon.gif

Point is..boxing does not NEED 'big fights' to keep the sport alive, we just need fair/legit fights on tv instead, which will end up producing the big fights by itself, instead of having them forced and created.

Sure these fights are big, but they are not necessary, deserving or needed at this point in time. Let these guys take care of their own business before they start thinking to match em up with eachother. I rather see Sergio Martinez defend his Middleweight crown against someone in the division that could give him a tougher fight.

Good points.

I would love to see SMartinez v Any Name Here. I've said it before but it bares repetition; boxing is passing Pac and (especially) PBF by quickly. The other reason that I consider Sergio #1 P4P is because of the person he is outside the ring. He answers questions honestly. He is a good person/role model. He appreciates where he is at and what he has accomplished. He is intelligent and has good manners. He has worked diligently and deserves the monetary rewards and recognition of his efforts.

A Pac fight makes no sense for Sergio beyond the financial reward. A PBF fight makes very good sense for both SMartinez and Floyd. It would be a mega fight that would determine beyond a doubt who is #1 P4P. A victory would be the perfect ending to either career. At 154 people would not remember it as the good big guy beating up on the great little guy. It would be career defining for both, no matter the outcome.

The more I think about it, the more sense it makes. PBF has little to gain for his legacy with a defeat of Pac. Floyd has toyed with JMM and Mosley. Manny would be only a marginally greater challenge, IMO. Most importantly, nobody would give him much credit for the victory. The Quackmiacs would even say that PBF did nothing more than the expected and would claim that their man is still the GOAT of all GOATS and #1 P4P.

If PBF fought SMartinez it would silence us all, no matter which way it went.

QUOTE (Hops @ Nov 25 2010, 04:54 AM) *
Martinez was being interviewed and he has to answer politely. He has done so. And honestly.

He has a grasp of reality. He is proud yet humble, confident not cocky.

#1 P4P.
Hops
I'm afraid he'll be "The Avoided One". Martinez, Juan Manuel Marquez, Donaire...
TheFonz
Been saying it for a while, Sergio beats Floyd. The fight is a stylistic nightmare for Floyd.
gravytrain
I don't think the fight is as outrageous as people are making it out to be, only difference is Martinez is a live opponent. Why pass up a chance to see a real challenging fight for the cats supposed to be P4P 1 and 2? If not they're just going to fight someone coming up from 140 or lower.

Pac faced Margarito and he and Martinez are similar in size, only difference is Martinez is a better fighter. He and Mayweather will be comparable in size if Martinez comes in at 154 too, Martinez will just have a hard style and assets to beat him.
STEVENSKI
QUOTE (gravytrain @ Nov 25 2010, 06:10 PM) *
Well Pac didn't have any problems facing someone similar in size to Martinez in Margarito and Mayweather and Martinez would be comparable on fight night so it's not that far of a stretch and definitely isn't anything like a comparison of Martinez fighting Wlad. If Martinez comes in at 154 then what's the beef?

The difference is that Margarito was a welterweight for most of his career. Both Floyd & Manny are 130lb fighters who have stepped up to welterweight. They don't need to step up to middleweight.

I'm not saying it would be a "bad" fight I am saying that Martinez has nothing to gain (except $$$$$) & everything to lose in either of these fights.

I for one would not give him any credit for beating Pac & very little for beating Mayweather (except my undying respect & manlove). If he happened to lose to either guy as unlikely it is he would lose any prestige he has built up.
jvo1800
I "LOVE" Martinez as a fighter, but Floyd would beat the hell outta him....... not a matchup problem at all cause i know thats what most people are gonna say. First Martinez is not the greatest boxer he's really just a sneaky/dangerous puncher, but his defense isnt the best plus most of his punches are mainly wide and thats like hitting the jackpot for Floyd. To be perfectly honest i think this would be a fairly easy fight for Floyd because i can him just jabbing Martinez all night cause he fights with his hands at his waist also Floyd would pot shot him in between all of those wide left punches that he throws. I cant see any advantage that he would have on Floyd at all
SmartyBeardo
QUOTE (jvo1800 @ Nov 25 2010, 06:55 PM) *
I "LOVE" Martinez as a fighter, but Floyd would beat the hell outta him....... not a matchup problem at all cause i know thats what most people are gonna say. First Martinez is not the greatest boxer he's really just a sneaky/dangerous puncher, but his defense isnt the best plus most of his punches are mainly wide and thats like hitting the jackpot for Floyd. To be perfectly honest i think this would be a fairly easy fight for Floyd because i can him just jabbing Martinez all night cause he fights with his hands at his waist also Floyd would pot shot him in between all of those wide left punches that he throws. I cant see any advantage that he would have on Floyd at all

Could you please convince PBF of your ludicrous breakdown?

I want to see this fight.
gravytrain
QUOTE (STEVENSKI @ Nov 25 2010, 05:27 PM) *
The difference is that Margarito was a welterweight for most of his career. Both Floyd & Manny are 130lb fighters who have stepped up to welterweight. They don't need to step up to middleweight.

I'm not saying it would be a "bad" fight I am saying that Martinez has nothing to gain (except $$$$$) & everything to lose in either of these fights.

I for one would not give him any credit for beating Pac & very little for beating Mayweather (except my undying respect & manlove). If he happened to lose to either guy as unlikely it is he would lose any prestige he has built up.

They'd be moving up to 154 and have the ability to get a MW title. Kind of what I'd expect out of the two "best" fighters in the sport. This shit is probably why I watch old fights most of the time.

jvo1800
QUOTE (SmartyBeardo @ Nov 25 2010, 09:03 PM) *
Could you please convince PBF of your ludicrous breakdown?

I want to see this fight.

its one thing to disagree with my opinion but i think this is far from being ludicrous. i would love to see the fight too but i think its a matchup nightmare for Martinez thats all
STEVENSKI
QUOTE (jvo1800 @ Nov 26 2010, 12:55 PM) *
I cant see any advantage that he would have on Floyd at all

I think you may need this.

Specsavers

You can thank me later.

QUOTE (gravytrain @ Nov 26 2010, 01:54 PM) *
They'd be moving up to 154 and have the ability to get a MW title. Kind of what I'd expect out of the two "best" fighters in the sport. This shit is probably why I watch old fights most of the time.

They have already moved up from 126 & 130lbs. How much further should they be expected to move up in all seriousness. If they spent their entire careers at 147 I can see a point but these guys are lightweights.
BoxingStill#1
QUOTE (jvo1800 @ Nov 25 2010, 09:55 PM) *

other than size.............

both pac and floyed win on points........(tougher for pac)

with a slight punchers advantage and chance from martinez.........
gravytrain
QUOTE (STEVENSKI @ Nov 25 2010, 10:21 PM) *

Specsavers

You can thank me later.

They have already moved up from 126 & 130lbs. How much further should they be expected to move up in all seriousness. If they spent their entire careers at 147 I can see a point but these guys are lightweights.

Your point? They've a lot of pressure on them as the premier fighters.

They've already moved up to junior middle, at 154 Martinez honestly isn't physically different than Mayweather and Pac already placed the burden of fighting Marg[similar in size] on himself. I guess Pac can only build a career off of fighting bigger fighters and not face a live fighter with a size advantage.

There aren't many opponents for either fighter, fights worth while anyway. Other than calling up a junior welter fighter Martinez is the best option available, and I honestly think no one gives any junior welters a chance against Mayweather or Pac.
jvo1800
QUOTE (STEVENSKI @ Nov 25 2010, 10:21 PM) *

Specsavers

You can thank me later.

I didnt really see ur point (confused face)
jvo1800
QUOTE (BoxingStill#1 @ Nov 25 2010, 10:59 PM) *
other than size.............

both pac and floyed win on points........(tougher for pac)

with a slight punchers advantage and chance from martinez.........

I agree drinks.gif
BoxingStill#1
QUOTE (jvo1800 @ Nov 26 2010, 01:21 AM) *

he was making the point of how big martinez is naturally i think.....

youd have to be blind not to "see" that.....lol
STEVENSKI
QUOTE (jvo1800 @ Nov 26 2010, 04:21 PM) *

I am Jack's total lack of suprise.

You say Martinez has no advantages over Floyd. I disagree. He is bigger, stronger & has a better punch. Floyd is more skilled & faster. I dunno I thought these things were kinda obvious to a man with 20/20 vision.
Snoop
Martinez has absolute advantages over both Pacquiao and Mayweather. It would be a legit challenge for either guy, provided no outlandish pre-fight stipulations.
The CEO
Martinez said he would destroy Pacquiao and either stop or decision Mayweather...I don't see any problem with that answer...could very well happen.

I personally think Mayweather would decision him...

It's important to note that Martinez is NOT a full Middleweight...he's a tweener....he's fought and beaten the best in 2 weight divisions.

That's part of the reason I have him ahead of Pacquiao on my P4P list...

1. Mayweather

2. Martinez
SmartyBeardo
QUOTE (The CEO @ Nov 26 2010, 05:04 AM) *
Martinez said he would destroy Pacquiao and either stop or decision Mayweather...I don't see any problem with that answer...could very well happen.

I personally think Mayweather would decision him...

It's important to note that Martinez is NOT a full Middleweight...he's a tweener....he's fought and beaten the best in 2 weight divisions.

That's part of the reason I have him ahead of Pacquiao on my P4P list...

1. Mayweather

2. Martinez

I can see your reasoning for having Floyd ahead of Sergio, but to me SMartinez is the P4P #1 right now based on slicing up the middleweight champ and shocking everyone (including me) with the method of victory over PWill. I agree with PBF being ahead of Pac, based on his toying with two HOFers in the same time frame that Manny has defeated two dented and leaking tomato cans and an African playing the part of a heavybag.

PBF needs to make the fight with SMartinez and silence the bloodthirsty crowd. I am not as certain that he could come out with the victory as you apparently are, but I am certain that it would be a great fight and Manny wouldn't go near the winner (or loser).
The CEO
QUOTE (SmartyBeardo @ Nov 26 2010, 07:27 AM) *
I can see your reasoning for having Floyd ahead of Sergio, but to me SMartinez is the P4P #1 right now based on slicing up the middleweight champ and shocking everyone (including me) with the method of victory over PWill. I agree with PBF being ahead of Pac, based on his toying with two HOFers in the same time frame that Manny has defeated two dented and leaking tomato cans and an African playing the part of a heavybag.

PBF needs to make the fight with SMartinez and silence the bloodthirsty crowd. I am not as certain that he could come out with the victory as you apparently are, but I am certain that it would be a great fight and Manny wouldn't go near the winner (or loser).

If Mayweather hadn't been as impressive with Mosley (i.e. taking the big shots the way he did and then immediately proceeding to walk him down the rest of the night)...I'd probably have Martinez at #1 as well...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.