Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Mosley announces he's fighting Pacquiao
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
Pages: 1, 2
Sai
ADMIN NOTE: Just FYI, we actually prefer linking to our own stories first...like this one:

SO MUCH FOR MAYWEATHER BEING A PRIORITY; PACQUIAO VS. MOSLEY 90% DONE?

So much for Floyd Mayweather being a priority. According to Shane Mosley, or at least Shane Mosley's official Twitter page, which we assume is controlled directly by Mosley himself, a bout with Filipino superstar Manny Pacquiao is nearly 90% done less than 1 week after his total destruction of Antonio Margarito.

read more

http://www.fighthype.com/pages/content8865.html

Feel free to promote your own work, but spamming won't be allowed, so make sure you contribute in the discussions as well. Thanks.

thehype
H.M.I.C.

Mosley Announces He's Fighting Pacquiao!
I don't know how i feel about this selection as Manny's next fight.
sweetscientist1
QUOTE (Sai @ Nov 30 2010, 01:15 PM) *
Mosley Announces He's Fighting Pacquiao!
I don't know how i feel about this selection as Manny's next fight.

I feel great about it. I think all the knowledgeless wanna be boxing unenthusiast will get an idea of what a fighter Shane is when it comes to versatility and adjustments. This guy will know doubt take Manny the distance and give him a hellava a bout. People talk guys like, Berto, Bradley and Alexander as being better opponents for Pac? Nah! Hell nah! Shane has more experience, ring savvy, consistant harder punching power and contact combination speed (Berto excluded on that one) than any of these young bucks. Even at his semi-advanced age. This dude is a great boxer and when he fights Manny he'll show you that. Anyone who would think that Shane isn't a formidable opponent for Pac, I would say thatn person has never boxed. Manny has never had such a great chance of getting KO'd since Morales in 2005! Not the concussion ridden, cloudy intestinal infected Morales he fought 2x's after his original loss to avoid Zahir Raheem. But the healthy Erik who was in shape and off Cerveza's. Shane will not only show up but Pacs face will look worse than it did after any other fight that h's had. Manny get ready to taste the canvas. Because If Shane can catch Money(the best defensive fighter in the world) with a power shot 1 x in 12 rounds. He can catch Manny ( the worst defensive fighter among elite fighters} at least 2x's per round. Well, hopefully Manny can load up with whatever he takes to walk through those Sugar Shane shots like he did Cotto.
sweetscientist1
Also let's not forget that Shane still has more skill left than anyone Pac has ever fought. More skill than Cotto, Margarito, Clottey, an old feinted & faded ODLH or Rickey Hatton. Shane has more left in the tank than any of these guys had when they fought Manny. So what are the so-called boxing unenthusiast really about when they ask,"why is Manny fighting Shane?" well let me ask," why has Manny fought anyone he has fought since 2005?" shane is no doubt right now at this moment more competitive than anyone Manny hjas fought in the last 5 years. You need to get real!
jlupi
You need to get real!>>>

who are you talking to???
sweetscientist1
QUOTE (jlupi @ Nov 30 2010, 03:34 PM) *
You need to get real!>>>

who are you talking to???

All the Shane Mosely detractors!!!
STEVENSKI
QUOTE (sweetscientist1 @ Dec 1 2010, 07:17 AM) *
Also let's not forget that Shane still has more skill left than anyone Pac has ever fought.

I would say that Barerra, Morales & JMM have display more skills when they wipe their ring hole than Mosley does in the ring fighting. This is the same Mosley who has shown his only plan B is to walk up & throw single power punches. Looking forward to the beating he will get.

sweetscientist1
QUOTE (STEVENSKI @ Nov 30 2010, 05:29 PM) *
I would say that Barerra, Morales & JMM have display more skills when they wipe their ring hole than Mosley does in the ring fighting. This is the same Mosley who has shown his only plan B is to walk up & throw single power punches. Looking forward to the beating he will get.

He fought Barrera in 2007. Marco was done. And Marco has never been the athelete or boxer Shane was.Never. Marco a great boxer? Absolutley! some believe he is Legend out side of Mexico and that's all fine. But there is no way in hell that upu can tell me that Marco in 2007 is a more comprtitive fight than Shane now. No waypossible. No way.
sweetscientist1
QUOTE (STEVENSKI @ Nov 30 2010, 05:29 PM) *

Yeah against the best defense in the business. But Pac is far from that!
sweetscientist1
QUOTE (sweetscientist1 @ Nov 30 2010, 05:37 PM) *
Yeah against the best defense in the business. But Pac is far from that!

And also you just told me you don't box! And that's cool. But take the time to actually watch Mosely fight from the begining of his career until now. Yu'd have more of a Popint of Reference to interpret fight styles. I find from all the boxing sites we surf, this one has a tendency to be more biased based on fanaticism, HBO perception and a basic Lack of any fight Library at all! Just an observation. we just got a few people over trippin because you guys act like shane can't fight and Manny has never fought anybody close to what this guy was in the prime of his career. so if you didn't get it than you won't get it now. Marco Antonio Barrera? Are you kidding me? 2 completely different type of atheletes. Oh and by the Marco 2 years ago at 135LBS would have NEVER AND I DO MEAN NEVER SURVIVED A YOUNG SHANE MOSLEY AT 135LBS. NEVER! NOT POSSIBLE! SHANE HAS NEVER LOST TO ANYONE AT THAT WEIGHT!
STEVENSKI
QUOTE (sweetscientist1 @ Dec 1 2010, 09:35 AM) *
He fought Barrera in 2007. Marco was done. And Marco has never been the athelete or boxer Shane was.Never. Marco a great boxer? Absolutley! some believe he is Legend out side of Mexico and that's all fine. But there is no way in hell that upu can tell me that Marco in 2007 is a more comprtitive fight than Shane now. No waypossible. No way.

He also fought him in 2003 when he was in his prime as a fighter & whipped him like a red headed stepchild. Personally I think Barerra was a much more skilled boxer than Shane.

SS1 can you please for the sake of my brain stop quoting yourself.
Hittman25
Shane is gonna get koed maywheather soften him up and manny is goona be the first to ko shane.....i said it! KO
jvo1800
Idk how i feel about this fight, if it was pre-Mayweather then i would be more interested but the way he just looked in his last fight i just cant generate any excitement at this point. He would definitely have to beat a quality opponent b4 he fights Pac just like how he beat Margarito b4 fighting Floyd(and im not sayin that to say Margarito is great, im just sayin he's decent).
STEVENSKI
QUOTE (sweetscientist1 @ Dec 1 2010, 09:50 AM) *
Oh and by the Marco 2 years ago at 135LBS would have NEVER AND I DO MEAN NEVER SURVIVED A YOUNG SHANE MOSLEY AT 135LBS. NEVER! NOT POSSIBLE! SHANE HAS NEVER LOST TO ANYONE AT THAT WEIGHT!

I think we all know that. MAB was about 5 years past his prime at that stage hence his decision to go up in weight.

Considering his quality of opponent at 135 of course he looked great. Not hard when you are a Porsche racing a Datsun.
BrutalBodyShots
No chance for Mosley here. Mosley had a huge problem with the speed of Mayweather, and Pacquiao is right on par with Mayweather in that department. Mayweather may throw a faster single shot, but Pacquiao throws faster combinations IMO. Regardless, Shane at his age can't get away from speed of that caliber, and can't get off the way he did in his prime against a guy with good foot work and movement. Pacquiao will make Mosley look VERY bad. Of course Mosley has a puncher's chance against Pacquiao, and if he can land a shot on him the way he did Mayweather who knows... but that's a real long shot to happen.

neophyte7
I don't know. Mosley was supposed to get killed by Margarito, yet he did the killing. Shane may just ktfo of Pacman and I can see why they would not want Pac to get in there. Mosley also hits hard to the body. I saw Margarito land some flush upper cuts... Mosley will put him on his ass with those shots... not saying that he would be finished but he will definitely have his hands full with Mosley. I doubt Pac can really hurt Mosley
streetlion1
Throw the picture of Mosley fighting Mayweather outta the window when you think about this fight. Pacroids defense is no where near that level....he isnt gonna come in the bigger..stronger man like Floyd did...he isnt gonna put up a solid guard and come forward the way Floyd did. Now that doesnt mean Mosley will win but I dont think he would get dominated. I dont see Manny being able to K.O. him...I see Manny winning a decision just based on workrate but I see Mosley hurting Manny early and if that happens he isnt gonna have the defense or recovery ability Floyd had and he could be gone.

I dont agree with the fight if it does happen but as fans we take what we get. Manny vs JMM needs to happen....Roach and Pacroid need to stop ducking Marquez and make the fight with him at 144!!!
mrwigi
I wouldnt be surprised if this fight looked almost exactly like the Oscar fight.
gravytrain
QUOTE (streetlion1 @ Dec 1 2010, 11:00 AM) *
Throw the picture of Mosley fighting Mayweather outta the window when you think about this fight. Pacroids defense is no where near that level....he isnt gonna come in the bigger..stronger man like Floyd did...he isnt gonna put up a solid guard and come forward the way Floyd did. Now that doesnt mean Mosley will win but I dont think he would get dominated. I dont see Manny being able to K.O. him...I see Manny winning a decision just based on workrate but I see Mosley hurting Manny early and if that happens he isnt gonna have the defense or recovery ability Floyd had and he could be gone.

I dont agree with the fight if it does happen but as fans we take what we get. Manny vs JMM needs to happen....Roach and Pacroid need to stop ducking Marquez and make the fight with him at 144!!!

I wouldn't at all be surprised if Pac wanted Marquez at 150 for the junior MW title.

Nah, more like a 154 catchweight but Pac comes in at 148.
neophyte7
Mosley should not have taken the Mora fight... he gets no credit for fighting a middleweight who I am sure could give sergio Martinez a good go... How would Pac have done against Mora? If mosley had not taken that fight which was a horrible style match up they could hype his KO over Margarito and have more leverage for a fight. he looked lackluster against the bigger mora and people think Pac walks all over him. If they meet I guarantee Mosley puts pac on queer street more than once...
STEVENSKI
QUOTE (mrwigi @ Dec 2 2010, 06:15 AM) *
I wouldnt be surprised if this fight looked almost exactly like the Oscar fight.

Carbon copy. I will enjoy seeing that classic Mosley confused face when he is getting lit up like a christmas tree.

BrutalBodyShots
QUOTE (neophyte7 @ Nov 30 2010, 10:31 PM) *
I don't know. Mosley was supposed to get killed by Margarito, yet he did the killing. .... I doubt Pac can really hurt Mosley

Margarito has about 1/2 the speed of Mosley on a good day, where Pacquiao has more speed than Mosley at this point (especially as the rounds go by). Mayweather's speed killed Mosley, and so will Pacquiao's. That's just how it goes with older fighters sometimes. Speed kills.

I wouldn't doubt Pac can't hurt Mosley. A lot of people thought Pac wouldn't be able to hurt DLH, Cotto, Margarito etc because they were all supposed to be the bigger, stronger guys capable of absorbing the little guys shots. Not only did he hurt all of them, he stopped 2 of them and might as well have stopped Margarito too.

BrutalBodyShots
QUOTE (STEVENSKI @ Dec 1 2010, 05:04 PM) *
Carbon copy. I will enjoy seeing that classic Mosley confused face when he is getting lit up like a christmas tree.

Yup, that and Mosley will be incredibly hesitant to throw by the 3rd round or so (about the same time he got gun shy against Mayweather).

Mosley hasn't ever really been an active fighter. Don't expect to see more than 40-50 punches per round out of him at BEST. A best case activity level for Mosley was against Margarito when he was able to basically land at will with little to no fear of return fire and he only got off 58 punches per round. That's against a dead man walking. Against Mora he got off 43 per round. Against Mayweather who was able to neutralize Mosley with his speed Mosley got off 38 per round.

Looking at those numbers, it's easy to see that Mosley will likely get off around 40 per round because he will pay for his misses... AND pay for what he lands when it comes to Pacquiao. Like I said he will be gun shy by the 3rd round and resort to throwing punch counts in the high 30's likely for the remainder of the fight. Numbers like that simply aren't going to get it done against Pacquiao who's dishing out at least twice that and landing the more flashy, eye catching combinations.

PR316
The only thing that could save Mosley here is Pacquiao's COMPASSION.

Manny will absolutely BRUTALIZE him. Mosley is gonna be so confused with Pacquiao's angles and footwork and is gonna get beat like a red headed step child.

This will be interesting early but once Pacquiao decides to open up, its over.

Mosley will be stopped for the first time in his career.

Pacquiao TKO 9
STEVENSKI
What amazes me time & time again is just how fast Pac delivers his combinations. Floyd is very quick at one shot at a time but Pac is blistering in his combination delivery.

Expect Shane's confused face to appear around the 2.00 mark of round 1 & then it will be game over.
D-MARV
I pray that Mosley throws a left hook that breaks every rib in Pacquiao's body. I would love nothing more than to see Pacquiao on the canvas gasping for air.
D-MARV
Oh... and props to Nick Wong!!! Good article.
BrutalBodyShots
PR316 I pretty much share your view.

Mosley is going to be wasting all kinds of "nervous energy" as Steward puts it once he gets lit up with a few Pacquiao combinations that he never saw coming. From then on it will be more jerking around and hesitant to pull the trigger Mosley similar to what we saw in there against Mayweather. Pacquiao will have a field day with that.

gravytrain
QUOTE (D-MARV @ Dec 1 2010, 06:19 PM) *
I pray that Mosley throws a left hook that breaks every rib in Pacquiao's body. I would love nothing more than to see Pacquiao on the canvas gasping for air.

What then? I guess Mosley would be back in his prime despite being an old man when Mayweather beat him. I'd actually like to see how people could spin it if Mosley beat Pac. Are they going to say he called up BALCO? lol

I think it'd be hilarious if Mosley got the upset because the only reason Mosley will get a Pac fight is because they think he's completely done.
gravytrain
QUOTE (BrutalBodyShots @ Dec 1 2010, 07:03 PM) *

Mosley is going to be wasting all kinds of "nervous energy" as Steward puts it once he gets lit up with a few Pacquiao combinations that he never saw coming. From then on it will be more jerking around and hesitant to pull the trigger Mosley similar to what we saw in there against Mayweather. Pacquiao will have a field day with that.

I really don't know how anyone could try to use the Mayweather fight as to what could happen in a fight with Pac, they're polar opposites. I'm not saying Pac can't frustrate Mosley but Mayweather is a defensive boxer and Pac is an offensive fighter. Being in the ring with someone that wants to throw a lot and fight is going to create a lot more opportunities for a person like Mosley that wants to do the same thing, Pac isn't going to sit back and fight a defensive fight lol.
Run and Gun Game Calls
the thing is, Mosley didnt really take alot of damage v/s Mayweather or mora. He lost badly to Mayweather, but he wasnt beaten up. So the Mosley that Pac fights will be very similar to the one floyd fought. personally I dont think its a good fight for Mosley, but we will see. I think this will be the first time we see Mosley quit on his stool
BrutalBodyShots
QUOTE (gravytrain @ Dec 1 2010, 07:25 PM) *
I really don't know how anyone could try to use the Mayweather fight as to what could happen in a fight with Pac, they're polar opposites. I'm not saying Pac can't frustrate Mosley but Mayweather is a defensive boxer and Pac is an offensive fighter. Being in the ring with someone that wants to throw a lot and fight is going to create a lot more opportunities for a person like Mosley that wants to do the same thing, Pac isn't going to sit back and fight a defensive fight lol.

Mayweather killed Mosley with SPEED, something Pacquiao also possesses just as much of and gobs more than Mosley's other recent opponents. At Mosley's age being a half step slower shows up big time against guys with great speed... like Mayweather and Pacquiao.

And yes Pacquiao likes to mix it up more... but he'll constantly beat Mosley to the punch because he gets off quicker and because he's faster overall.

BrutalBodyShots
QUOTE (Run and Gun Game Calls @ Dec 1 2010, 07:31 PM) *
the thing is, Mosley didnt really take alot of damage v/s Mayweather or mora. He lost badly to Mayweather, but he wasnt beaten up. So the Mosley that Pac fights will be very similar to the one floyd fought. personally I dont think its a good fight for Mosley, but we will see. I think this will be the first time we see Mosley quit on his stool

Right.. and even without taking a ton of damage against Mayweather, Mosley was completely shut down and reduced to a sparring partner spending more nervous energy holding back on pulling the trigger than actually throwing punches. Why? Because Mosley couldn't deal with Mayweather's speed and was too afraid of the fast, accurate shots that were to be the return fire. Basically the EXACT same thing Pacquiao would have an advantage over him with.

gravytrain
QUOTE (BrutalBodyShots @ Dec 1 2010, 07:50 PM) *
Mayweather killed Mosley with SPEED, something Pacquiao also possesses just as much of and gobs more than Mosley's other recent opponents. At Mosley's age being a half step slower shows up big time against guys with great speed... like Mayweather and Pacquiao.

And yes Pacquiao likes to mix it up more... but he'll constantly beat Mosley to the punch because he gets off quicker and because he's faster overall.

Mayweather dictated the pace of the fight and forced Mosley to box him. The big thing is Mosley needs a fighter that lets him fight and Mayweather didn't offer it to him. It's just so bad against Mayweather because Mayweather fights a very economical defensive fight and that's miles away from what Mosley is going to excel at. Pac on the other hand is a lot more active offensively and isn't going to try to fight some measured defensive fight with Mosley, Pac isn't a measured defensive fighter. Pac isn't going to be staying on the outside and using feints then throwing one punch and getting out of range. Pac circles, doesn't use any feints, keeps his hands up, and throws lots of punches.

D-MARV
The problem that Mosley is going to have is that pacquiao won't let him get off either. Pacquiao has blinding speed and will overwhelm Mosley with offense. As many others have pointed out, Mosley will be dazed and confused and have no answers. Barring a 1 hitter quitter, Mosley has no chance of winning this fight. I don't see Pacquiao stopping Mosley either though. I see a 1 sided beatdown over 12 rounds.
gravytrain
QUOTE (D-MARV @ Dec 1 2010, 09:54 PM) *
The problem that Mosley is going to have is that pacquiao won't let him get off either. Pacquiao has blinding speed and will overwhelm Mosley with offense. As many others have pointed out, Mosley will be dazed and confused and have no answers. Barring a 1 hitter quitter, Mosley has no chance of winning this fight. I don't see Pacquiao stopping Mosley either though. I see a 1 sided beatdown over 12 rounds.

That and if Mosley doesn't end the fight early it's done since he'll be gassing in the later rounds. So he's the choice of stopping Pac or taking it the distance and losing.

However, I take Mosley as the most capable of an upset over Pac's most likely future fights with Margarito and Cotto.
PR316
QUOTE (BrutalBodyShots @ Dec 1 2010, 08:03 PM) *

And Manny will make him pay more than Floyd did, and with harder shots.

This is a terrible matchup for Mosley who's gonna have that look on his face like he's fighting a ghost in the fog.
neophyte7
If Mosley can take pac shots and land his own he has a shot. Margarito landed hard shots flush Mosley will land more. Pac is going to get hit hard. Nazim Richardson will be better in preparing for this one than Floyd. Manny does not have the multiple styles of mayweather. Mosley has to go for the kill and have his good beared ready. clinch Pac and out muscle him to the ropes. Beat on him like he never has been. This has to be Mosley's game plan. Mosley moves his head unlike Marg... he is better defensively than Marg and faster. pac will be in danger in this bout
gravytrain
QUOTE (neophyte7 @ Dec 3 2010, 05:33 PM) *
If Mosley can take pac shots and land his own he has a shot. Margarito landed hard shots flush Mosley will land more. Pac is going to get hit hard. Nazim Richardson will be better in preparing for this one than Floyd. Manny does not have the multiple styles of mayweather. Mosley has to go for the kill and have his good beared ready. clinch Pac and out muscle him to the ropes. Beat on him like he never has been. This has to be Mosley's game plan. Mosley moves his head unlike Marg... he is better defensively than Marg and faster. pac will be in danger in this bout

If Mosley can clench it shouldn't be too bad until Mosley gets tired. What I'm really concerned about is whether or not the ref will let him clench. I think the biggest thing with this fight is Mosley is going to gas eventually and when he does Pac will still have a full tank, then he'll just be able to come in land the combos and get out. If Mosley makes this a physical fight and comes out to knock him out I give him a chance of beating Pac, especially if Roach underestimates Mosley and Mosley jumps on him in the beginning.

I just like Mosley in this because Pac always takes risks in his fights, he always goes against Roach and wants to take the best shot his opponent can land to see what he can do. If Mosley nails him and gets him in trouble I can definitely see him stopping him even if Mosley is tired as hell. the phrase "punchers chance" is going to be active in this one lol.

neophyte7
i agree...mosley looked great stamina wise against marg... floyd perplexed mosley... pac is not cerebral and prevents more opportunities for mosley to rip shots. nazim has to have the same mosley mental that was there for marg... destroy

JLUVBABY
i talked shit on this fight before hand but the more i mull it over mosley has a shot... im not picking him to win cuzz he is still a long shot but his chances are a bunch of IF'S.... If he can take pacs punches and effectively come back with his own equal shots and IF he can pull the trigger when he needs to will be the two most important in my opinion... If he can do both he can make this interesting in my opinion... Mo has the experience in the big fight atmosphere so that wont be an issue.... So IF he can muster one last performance we got a fight... IF what we saw vs May is as good as we are going to get now and he is indeed a fighter with no plan b or even c mo is doomed and more than likely destined to be stopped late in the fight...
gravytrain
I think the big thing is Pac gives you more opportunities than Mayweather. Mayweather stays on the outside and uses a lot of feints, Pac really just circles and keeps his guard up. Not to mention the disparity between the number of punches Pac will throw and what Mayweather will throw, Pac wants to out fight you and Mayweather wants to out box you. Mosley is looking for a guy that wants to bang with him and he can tie up, Pac is a hell of a lot more like that than Mayweather.

I give Mosley more than a puncher's chance, I think he's a legitimate shot at beating Pac in the early stages of the fight.
D-MARV
Mosley has a snowballs chance in hell at best. Mosley will have to go to the body to have any shot in this. When he does that, I expect Manny to hit him with 10 punches.
gravytrain
QUOTE (D-MARV @ Dec 3 2010, 10:10 PM) *
Mosley has a snowballs chance in hell at best. Mosley will have to go to the body to have any shot in this. When he does that, I expect Manny to hit him with 10 punches.

LOL that's the only reason he's getting the fight. I just think people are completely writing him off and he still might have a little fight in him. It just wasn't coming out against a defensive fighter like Mayweather or the bigger guy running a lot like Mora. If he pulls an upset I think I've a good idea of how it'd be, but personally I see Pac's pace wearing him down then Mosley being tired from 5-6 on and just losing a lopsided decision.

Plus it'd be funny as hell if Pac and Roach got too cocky and got stopped by Mosley. I wonder what the dudes like the ones commenting on the articles on here would say lol.
Hops
Just like what JLUVBABY said. Mosley's win stands on a bunch of IF's. Mosley ain't gonna find Pacquiao in the ring. He's gonna find only his gloves when he's gettin' lit. Maybe people should just stop pointing out Pac's defensive holes when they are not actually holes but traps.
gbh32001
QUOTE (Fitz @ Dec 4 2010, 02:11 PM) *
This is how I feel. I think the logic behind this is that it should be a comfortable win for Manny, and a good name to have on his resume. It's also a common Mayweather opponent, and see if he can stop him and one up Mayweather like people think he did with Hatton and Oscar. They are taking this for a reason, but I think they may be under estimating Mosley a bit in this one. I'm picking Pacquiao for now, but a fight that could bite them in the bum.
Mosley matches up better against Pacquiao then Mayweather. I agree that Pacquiao is a more offensive threat to Mosley than Mayweather is, but he is less of a threat defensively and will be easier to hit than Mayweather was.
Also remember, Mosley doesn't get frustrated as much if he gets hit a lot, most of the frustration comes when he can't hit the opponent. As long as he is able to land his fair share while getting hit, I think he will stay mentally strong in there and not become frustrated and discouraged. I feel we see that Mosley more often when he isn't able to find his target.
Agree...Mosley is more dangerous than Margarito. The only problem for Mosley is if Pac will land flash that hybrid left hook/straight during those close exchanges, it will surely take out all his strength or might get knockdown. Cotto, Marquez, Hatton,Diaz get knockdown by that punch and Mosley will not spare on this one if that punch will land flash to his chin. All those tall guy was not able to hurt because of the distance, by the time the punch hit them it's just me're pushing or little impact because the arm already stretch flat...But no matter the outcome, this was already written.Floyd-Mosley,ODLH-Floyd,Pac-Clottey,Pac-Margarito was a masterpiece of Bob and Oscar and Pac-Mosley is no different, a done fixed deal.
SmartyBeardo
Mosley shut it down against PBF. Why should I believe that he won't do the same against a much more offensive fighter who is comparable to PBF's speed and footwork?

Because he can't v Pac and expect to survive. SSM's only chance is to hurt Manny early and hope to get him out of there or at least weaken him enough to make him run for the decision.

I'm at the point, with Team QuackMeow, where I have a hard time even considering this fight more than an exhibition. However, if Berto goes and beats someone real (like Abregu, Judah or Jones) around the same time as Pac v SSM, it makes a Berto v Manny fight that much bigger.

Most likely a JMM fight is never going to happen unless Pac gets beat, which is not in the script.
Lil-lightsout
Well... Mayweather-Pac will never happen now. Last fight i put money on was, not a gambler, Holyfield-Tyson I. I ended up winning some dough on that one. I am laying some cash on Mosley by stoppage in this one. No way will Manny be able to take Mosley's power. Pac is definitely no Mayweather in terms of defense. Pac admitted being hurt by the slow Margarito, what is going to happen when the much faster harder hitting Mosley hits him? I also believe Shane can use some of his boxing skills against Manny in there, kind of like Cotto did early on with success against Pac. I think this is a bad choice for Pac.

Sorry...I will not write off Shane yet due to his shitty performance against Floyd, and his subpar fight with the elusive runner Mora. Pac is shorter and will be there to get hit( he is not elusive like Floyd). i think we get fireworks in there.

Screw it, I am a huge Mosley fan and I will continue to root for him with my heart.
gravytrain
QUOTE (Fitz @ Dec 4 2010, 01:11 AM) *
This is how I feel. I think the logic behind this is that it should be a comfortable win for Manny, and a good name to have on his resume. It's also a common Mayweather opponent, and see if he can stop him and one up Mayweather like people think he did with Hatton and Oscar. They are taking this for a reason, but I think they may be under estimating Mosley a bit in this one. I'm picking Pacquiao for now, but a fight that could bite them in the bum.
Mosley matches up better against Pacquiao then Mayweather. I agree that Pacquiao is a more offensive threat to Mosley than Mayweather is, but he is less of a threat defensively and will be easier to hit than Mayweather was.
Also remember, Mosley doesn't get frustrated as much if he gets hit a lot, most of the frustration comes when he can't hit the opponent. As long as he is able to land his fair share while getting hit, I think he will stay mentally strong in there and not become frustrated and discouraged. I feel we see that Mosley more often when he isn't able to find his target.

I think that if Pac gets close to what Mayweather/Mosley does and stops Mosley then he'll really put Mayweather in a tough spot, even if he just messes Mosley's face up. When Mayweather comes back talking about a testing clause team Pac is going to tell him to fuck off. If he doesn't accept their cutoff date they'll just move on and hold no responsibility for the fight not happening.

I agree about Mosley and that's why I think he looked so bad against Mayweather. Pac isn't going to fight an economical defensive fight staying on the outside and using feints. Out of his recent opponents I give him the best chance at an upset.

QUOTE (Hops @ Dec 4 2010, 01:33 AM) *
Just like what JLUVBABY said. Mosley's win stands on a bunch of IF's. Mosley ain't gonna find Pacquiao in the ring. He's gonna find only his gloves when he's gettin' lit. Maybe people should just stop pointing out Pac's defensive holes when they are not actually holes but traps.

What kind of trap is that, hoping you break your hand on his big ass head?
The Ollie Reed Fan Club
QUOTE (Lil-lightsout @ Dec 4 2010, 03:41 AM) *
Well... Mayweather-Pac will never happen now. Last fight i put money on was, not a gambler, Holyfield-Tyson I. I ended up winning some dough on that one. I am laying some cash on Mosley by stoppage in this one. No way will Manny be able to take Mosley's power. Pac is definitely no Mayweather in terms of defense. Pac admitted being hurt by the slow Margarito, what is going to happen when the much faster harder hitting Mosley hits him? I also believe Shane can use some of his boxing skills against Manny in there, kind of like Cotto did early on with success against Pac. I think this is a bad choice for Pac.

Sorry...I will not write off Shane yet due to his shitty performance against Floyd, and his subpar fight with the elusive runner Mora. Pac is shorter and will be there to get hit( he is not elusive like Floyd). i think we get fireworks in there.

Screw it, I am a huge Mosley fan and I will continue to root for him with my heart.

I felt all of the above when Manny was due to face Fishnets and we know how that one turned out.

Yes for that fight in retropsect we know Oscar was killing himself to make weight, which Shane probably won't have to do. But like Oscar, and having watched the Mora fight, I'm not sure Shane call pull the trigger anymore. Manny is quite deceptive in that he isn't that reckless early. He tends to abandon defence only after he has tested you out and broken you down a bit then he feels confident to sit down and trade. In both the Cotto and Margarito fights he had quite a tight defense for the first few rounds before really opening up. I see him doing the same with Shane, seeing if he can take the power and then deciding. If he feels that Shane's punches have too much heat I expect him to just 'outspeed' him.

Manny's ring smarts are underrated.
SmartyBeardo
QUOTE (gravytrain @ Dec 3 2010, 04:22 PM) *
I think the big thing is Pac gives you more opportunities than Mayweather. Mayweather stays on the outside and uses a lot of feints, Pac really just circles and keeps his guard up. Not to mention the disparity between the number of punches Pac will throw and what Mayweather will throw, Pac wants to out fight you and Mayweather wants to out box you. Mosley is looking for a guy that wants to bang with him and he can tie up, Pac is a hell of a lot more like that than Mayweather.

I give Mosley more than a puncher's chance, I think he's a legitimate shot at beating Pac in the early stages of the fight.

QUOTE (gravytrain @ Dec 4 2010, 12:36 AM) *
I think that if Pac gets close to what Mayweather/Mosley does and stops Mosley then he'll really put Mayweather in a tough spot, even if he just messes Mosley's face up. When Mayweather comes back talking about a testing clause team Pac is going to tell him to fuck off. If he doesn't accept their cutoff date they'll just move on and hold no responsibility for the fight not happening.

I agree about Mosley and that's why I think he looked so bad against Mayweather. Pac isn't going to fight an economical defensive fight staying on the outside and using feints. Out of his recent opponents I give him the best chance at an upset.

What kind of trap is that, hoping you break your hand on his big ass head?

I'm not sure we were watching the same SSM v PBF fight. Floyd did not stay on the outside against Mosley. He was right there. Shane just refused or was not capable of pulling the trigger. It was kind of like watching Siamese Fighting Fish. They both come out all puffed up, and brilliantly colorful until one strikes and demonstrates dominance. The lesser suddenly loses all its color, retreats to a corner and eventually dies while the victor takes the female.

Pac v SSM will be more like the mongoose v the cobra. The mongoose moves in and out and side to side in order to convince the cobra to take a shot that leaves him mortally vulnerable to the teeth of the vicious little mammal. The cobra will get his shot. He must land with ample venom and squeeze the life out of the mongoose.

It will take good fortune.

As for the "break your hand on his big ass head" trap, that sounds more like SSM's strategy against PBF.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.