Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: The Public Won't Buy Pacquiao-Mosley
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
Pages: 1, 2
Sai
Emanuel Steward Says "The Public Won't Buy Pacquiao-Mosley"
Emanuel puts some passion into this one. Check it out.
gravytrain
The public bought Pacquiao vs Margarito.
Sai
QUOTE (gravytrain @ Nov 30 2010, 10:34 PM) *
The public bought Pacquiao vs Margarito.

Nuff said.
Lil-lightsout
How can he speak for the public? I for one would buy it. I think it would be an exciting affair as long as it lasts. Or as long as Pac can last,hahaha.
BrutalBodyShots
I'll probably end up buying it, although I don't see it as a competitive fight. I'll tell myself now and up until the week of the fight that I won't buy it, but then with some of my friends telling me to go for it and making a drinking night out of it at my place I'll probably give in last minute.

D-MARV
I will not buy it but I will probably stream it or find a bar to watch it at. I won't pay to see Pacquiao beat on another punching bag for 12 rounds.
jlupi
but the public is for Wladamir Klitschko / Derek Chisora. LOL
thehype
And the public is dying for the Pacquiao-Cotto rematch too.
JLUVBABY
I think the public will buy the fight... its not like the promotions will say mosley is winless in his last two fights.... they'll promote the hell out of that second round vs mayweather and highlight his major wins... the joe blow public will buy this fight and the die hard boxing fans will order... its another win for top rank...
gravytrain
QUOTE (JLUVBABY @ Dec 1 2010, 01:48 PM) *
I think the public will buy the fight... its not like the promotions will say mosley is winless in his last two fights.... they'll promote the hell out of that second round vs mayweather and highlight his major wins... the joe blow public will buy this fight and the die hard boxing fans will order... its another win for top rank...

The public only cares about what they hear in the media. I lost count of how many people I spoke to that don't really follow boxing asking me about Pac/Margarito and every single one of them bought into all the shit from 24/7, some of them even wondered if Margarito actually tried to use illegal wraps lol. As long as someone is going to tell them to buy it they don't care.

QUOTE (thehype @ Dec 1 2010, 01:36 PM) *
And the public is dying for the Pacquiao-Cotto rematch too.

You've any predictions on that one? Should be a thriller. Can't wait to see Cotto wandering around the ring dazed and confused. I know Arum had to pull out all the stops with the Marg fight, what next? Is Pac gonna be on his death bed for a Cotto fight?

lloyd mayflower
QUOTE (gravytrain @ Dec 1 2010, 07:48 PM) *
The public only cares about what they hear in the media. I lost count of how many people I spoke to that don't really follow boxing asking me about Pac/Margarito and every single one of them bought into all the shit from 24/7, some of them even wondered if Margarito actually tried to use illegal wraps lol. As long as someone is going to tell them to buy it they don't care.

You've any predictions on that one? Should be a thriller. Can't wait to see Cotto wandering around the ring dazed and confused. I know Arum had to pull out all the stops with the Marg fight, what next? Is Pac gonna be on his death bed for a Cotto fight?

Got that bit right. Man you should have seen the way Haye v Harrison got hyped by Sky over here. The casual fan fell hook line and sinker for Harrisons bullshit. For some reason people thought the perennial waste of space had changed and was going to come out like a fighter. Honestly they drove it so heavily that even I had to pinch myself every so ofen when i felt my mind wandering towards thoughts of an upset. That promoting is reflected in the numbers. 600,000 buys I believe, which proportionally would represent a US PPV buy rate of something like 2.4 million (my maths will almost certainly be wrong)

My point being that if Sky who are very occasional PPV promoters managed to hype up a bullshit event like that in a nation of dwindling support for boxing, then Bob Arum and HBO will have a fucking field day with Pac v Mosley.
salvador
QUOTE (jlupi @ Dec 1 2010, 11:56 AM) *
but the public is for Wladamir Klitschko / Derek Chisora. LOL

that's funny.

I also happen to think that given that Pac wants to fight for another 3 years, Pac - Mosley is inevitable so it might as well happen asap while Mosley is still in his 30s.

And if Marquez-Pac 3 happens at a single ounce over 140 I don't think I'll buy it - and I buy pretty much every piece of shit fight that gets thrown at me.
thehype
Just out of curiosity, give me your initial reaction to the following question:

JUAN MANUEL MARQUEZ VS. SHANE MOSLEY AT 147...WHO WINS?
lloyd mayflower
My initial reaction was Mosley winning by stoppage and getting himself a face like stay puft for his troubles, but the more I think about it the more I give Marquez a shot. Couldnt even write this whole sentence without changing my mind 4 or 5 times! Maybe i'm just being biased cos im a fan of JMM.
JD
After the fight does well at the box office and sells a very good number of PPV's, Emanuel Steward will simply say "See...now this fight sold real well just like I thought. The numbers are coming in exactly as I expected..."
salvador
Mosley takes JMM at 147 all day.

Pac-JMM at 147 is a joke.
D-MARV
QUOTE (JD @ Dec 1 2010, 04:39 PM) *
After the fight does well at the box office and sells a very good number of PPV's, Emanuel Steward will simply say "See...now this fight sold real well just like I thought. The numbers are coming in exactly as I expected..."

LOL... that's funny.
Jack 1000
QUOTE (JLUVBABY @ Dec 1 2010, 12:48 PM) *
I think the public will buy the fight... its not like the promotions will say Mosley is winless in his last two fights.... they'll promote the hell out of that second round vs Mayweather and highlight his major wins... the Joe Bow public will buy this fight and the die hard boxing fans will order... its another win for Top Rank.

Perfect assessment. That's how I also see it.

Jack
The Original MrFactor
I wouldnt buy it, but I'd watch it if it were on HBO WCB. This would turn out to be a tune up for Pacquiao. He'd beat Mosley, badly. Might stop him if they were to fight.
The Ollie Reed Fan Club
QUOTE (thehype @ Dec 1 2010, 04:25 PM) *

Mosley by brutal stoppage, but then you already knew that.
The Ollie Reed Fan Club
QUOTE (salvador @ Dec 1 2010, 04:16 PM) *
that's funny.

I also happen to think that given that Pac wants to fight for another 3 years, Pac - Mosley is inevitable so it might as well happen asap while Mosley is still in his 30s.

And if Marquez-Pac 3 happens at a single ounce over 140 I don't think I'll buy it - and I buy pretty much every piece of shit fight that gets thrown at me.

But why should Pac fight JMM at 140? He hasn't fought there in a while and it's pretty clear now that Pac is a WW. A small WW but a WW nonetheless. Could he get down to 140? Yeah probably but it might take too much of him to get down there.

It's already been pointed by many Pac haters that by asking Cotto to take off those 2 extra pounds may have really weakened him. Pac would be the the major draw in a JMM fight and I'm sure Roach wouldn't be stupid enough to give JMM an advantage by making Manny lose extra pounds that he doesn't need to.

Equally it would be unfair to ask JMM to come up to 147. Maybe we might have to accept that the fight has passed them by or possibly dare I say a non-title catchweight fight at say 144 pounds? Asking either guy to go to either 147 or 140 is giving the opponent too much of an advantage.
HaydelHammer
I'd buy it just to see shane drop a grenade on that dome and end all this BS.
SmartyBeardo
QUOTE (thehype @ Dec 1 2010, 02:25 PM) *

SSM would most likely win, but I don't think it is the same as JMM v Pac because Pac comes into the ring around 147 and JMM comes in at around 145. And JMM's style matches up with Pac better than it does with SSM or SSM's matches up with Pac.

SSM comes in much heavier.
The Ollie Reed Fan Club
QUOTE (Fitz @ Dec 2 2010, 03:27 AM) *
Why should it be a problem for Pacquiao to fight at 140? He only weighed in at 144 against Margarito for a Jr Middle fight, lol. After all, I thought everyone said that Pacquiao is knocking out guys because he doesn't have to dehydrate. If he wants to make 140, doesn't he just have to do what he was doing for Morales and Marquez fights at 130-135? laugh.gif

morales and Marquez fights were a few years back now. Pac is clearly comfortable coming in at around mid-140's. this is clearly his optimum fighting weight these days.

Wasn't everyone saying how much of an effect those 2 pounds would have on Cotto? Surely you remember that Fitz? well if those 2 pounds really do have the major effect that everyone is saying then surely taking off 4 pounds would also have an effect on Manny? All I'm doing is applying the same logic that everyone was applying to Cotto when Manny's camp made him drop those 2 pounds.

If you read my post I said it would be unfair to make JMM come up to 147 as well. The problem I think now lies in the fact that these 2 guys are going to find it hard to find a weight which doesn't disadvantage the other. Gee I'm not sure why that's so hard to understand.

Pac made 140 early last year for Hatton but I'm pretty sure his favourite and optimum weight class is now WW. Why go down a division where you have to end up cutting weight? We've seen JMM at kind of WW and he's never looked so bad. I want to see both guys face each other at a weight where they are both 100%. That could be difficult.
King Eugene
QUOTE (The Ollie Reed Fan Club @ Dec 2 2010, 02:56 AM) *
morales and Marquez fights were a few years back now. Pac is clearly comfortable coming in at around mid-140's. this is clearly his optimum fighting weight these days.

Wasn't everyone saying how much of an effect those 2 pounds would have on Cotto? Surely you remember that Fitz? well if those 2 pounds really do have the major effect that everyone is saying then surely taking off 4 pounds would also have an effect on Manny? All I'm doing is applying the same logic that everyone was applying to Cotto when Manny's camp made him drop those 2 pounds.

Yea but didn't Cotto move up to WW because he was having trouble making weight at 140? Cotto hadn't fought under the welterweight limit since 2006(3 years) so of course dropping a few pounds after 3 years would make more of a difference. Manny just fought at 140 last year and was in the 130's not even a year prior. IMO it would be easier for him to drop those 4 pounds than it would have been for Cotto to drop 2 pounds.

dntknw.gif
Lil-lightsout
QUOTE (Fitz @ Dec 2 2010, 03:23 AM) *
Plus, Roach has said that 140 is Pacquiao's best weight.

I also have been thinking this for quite some time. I wonder if Pac plans on fighting some of the younger fresher 140lb fighters in the future? I mean I understand some of his decisions fighting welterweights for bigger name opponents and bigger paydays, but damn you would think he would like to fight some smaller guys at his best weight. Or does anyone think 147 is his best weight now?

I would love to see Pac against the Bradley-Alexander winner. Or maybe against Maidana if he beats Khan?
Lil-lightsout
QUOTE (Fitz @ Dec 2 2010, 04:11 AM) *
If I had to pick a fight, it would be a Bradley-Alexander winner and I have thought about it. People can think it's absurd after the names Pacquiao have beaten, but they are young, prime and undefeated fighters and more Pacquiao's size. Whether people pick Pacquiao or not in those fights are irrelevant, they are legit fighters and bring something different. I would prefer fights like that over anything after Mayweather-Pacquiao.

Totally agree with you on all points.
STEVENSKI
QUOTE (Fitz @ Dec 2 2010, 06:27 PM) *
Why should it be a problem for Pacquiao to fight at 140? He only weighed in at 144 against Margarito for a Jr Middle fight, lol. After all, I thought everyone said that Pacquiao is knocking out guys because he doesn't have to dehydrate. If he wants to make 140, doesn't he just have to do what he was doing for Morales and Marquez fights at 130-135? laugh.gif

Why should he make 140 is the question. It does not matter if he can but why should he?
SmartyBeardo
QUOTE (STEVENSKI @ Dec 2 2010, 03:05 AM) *
Why should he make 140 is the question. It does not matter if he can but why should he?

I don't think he should (unless he prefers to do so).

And I don't think JMM minds going up to get him.
gravytrain
Will Marquez win? I've my doubts. Trying to use what happened with Mayweather as a measuring stick for Marquez at a higher weight is just ridiculous though. I think that simply to make it a tough one to call 140 would be good and easy to make for both fighters, at 140+ Marquez will still be in the fight more than some think.
JLUVBABY
thing is marquez is obsessed with manny pac... he will be dangerous on those grounds alone... unless manny is able to knock it out of him... lol...
gravytrain
QUOTE (JLUVBABY @ Dec 2 2010, 10:17 PM) *
thing is marquez is obsessed with manny pac... he will be dangerous on those grounds alone... unless manny is able to knock it out of him... lol...

I think Pac will actually win this one. I think it's a better fight than some people think because Pac isn't Mayweather and fights nothing like him, Marquez wont have to fight a fight like he's in the ring with Mayweather. They're two fighters that are about the same size and will want to fight.

The big difference I see in this fight is Pac has nice hands now. I wouldn't be surprised to see a deserved decision for Pac and of course some knock downs. I give Marquez a shot if he can pull it together though, and I'm sure he'll be drinking extra piss to knock Pac off the top spot.
STEVENSKI
QUOTE (gravytrain @ Dec 3 2010, 02:49 PM) *
I think Pac will actually win this one. I think it's a better fight than some people think because Pac isn't Mayweather and fights nothing like him, Marquez wont have to fight a fight like he's in the ring with Mayweather. They're two fighters that are about the same size and will want to fight.

The big difference I see in this fight is Pac has nice hands now. I wouldn't be surprised to see a deserved decision for Pac and of course some knock downs. I give Marquez a shot if he can pull it together though, and I'm sure he'll be drinking extra piss to knock Pac off the top spot.

I see it much the same way. Good post.
King Eugene
Pac will drop Marquez early, once Marquez gets back up Pac will jump on him and eventually stop him. This isn't the same Manny that fought him the first time around. Marquez legs wont hold up on him this time around.
SmartyBeardo
QUOTE (King Eugene @ Dec 2 2010, 11:15 PM) *
Pac will drop Marquez early, once Marquez gets back up Pac will jump on him and eventually stop him. This isn't the same Manny that fought him the first time around. Marquez legs wont hold up on him this time around.

Maybe not.
Lil-lightsout
QUOTE (King Eugene @ Dec 3 2010, 01:15 AM) *

Exactly what I believe would happen also.
neophyte7
It Pac and Mosley 4/16/10...
SmartyBeardo
QUOTE (neophyte7 @ Dec 3 2010, 02:26 PM) *
It Pac and Mosley 4/16/10...

Kind of like hearing that Qatar won the 2022 FIFA World Cup.

Am I supposed to cheer now?

Is this an answer to a Jeopardy question; what is flat out bullshit?
neophyte7
LMAO... hey this is what Arum and Pac want to do... fight every losing fighter there is. Come behind Mayweather leftovers and point out how Pac beat them better than Floyd... I have a feeling this time Pac gets bitten in the ass hard even if he wins... no gimme fight here
SmartyBeardo
QUOTE (neophyte7 @ Dec 4 2010, 06:16 AM) *
LMAO... hey this is what Arum and Pac want to do... fight every losing fighter there is. Come behind Mayweather leftovers and point out how Pac beat them better than Floyd... I have a feeling this time Pac gets bitten in the ass hard even if he wins... no gimme fight here

I hope you are right, neo.

I just can't see it though. SSM looked embarrassingly slow against Mora and just folded the tent against PBF.
JLUVBABY
QUOTE (SmartyBeardo @ Dec 4 2010, 08:20 AM) *
I hope you are right, neo.

I just can't see it though. SSM looked embarrassingly slow against Mora and just folded the tent against PBF.

i think shane has that one last good fight left... hes looked like shit twice so maybe this 3rd fight will be his charm win or lose... he for sure has a lot of pride and fighting heart... and i thought he beat mora, just my opinion, and mora is not a guy that you can look good against so givin that i give shane an outside shot... not picking him to win but i think he will give a better account and make for a more even fight then pacs last few.... not to mention manny has hit me on his forehead and shane is a legit puncher... should be a good fight.... we know what the outcome should be but i think its worth buying...
neophyte7
Hey Mora beat Forrest once...the guy is big and evasive... not a slouch...Shane was not at his best weight. I don't think Shane is shot he needs the fight brought to him. Nazims seem confident and I think he and mosley out together another Margarito type camp and come in ready. Don't get me wrong Pac is a beast... yet I have seen some holes. Who has he fought that hits as hard as Mosley? Definitely a punchers chance and mosley moves his head and can box...
SmartyBeardo
QUOTE (JLUVBABY @ Dec 4 2010, 07:55 AM) *
i think shane has that one last good fight left... hes looked like shit twice so maybe this 3rd fight will be his charm win or lose... he for sure has a lot of pride and fighting heart... and i thought he beat mora, just my opinion, and mora is not a guy that you can look good against so givin that i give shane an outside shot... not picking him to win but i think he will give a better account and make for a more even fight then pacs last few.... not to mention manny has hit me on his forehead and shane is a legit puncher... should be a good fight.... we know what the outcome should be but i think its worth buying...

I think SSM deserved the decision v Mora too.

Maybe Shane is boxing's version of The Trojan Horse. He will have to prove it for me this time. I like and respect SSM but I don't like this matchup. He should be fighting Berto or Berto should be fighting Pac. Since the SSM v Berto fight collapsed, SSM has managed to lose and draw his way to a shot at the biggest payday of his career?

Nah.

QUOTE (neophyte7 @ Dec 4 2010, 09:22 AM) *
Hey Mora beat Forrest once...the guy is big and evasive... not a slouch...Shane was not at his best weight. I don't think Shane is shot he needs the fight brought to him. Nazims seem confident and I think he and mosley out together another Margarito type camp and come in ready. Don't get me wrong Pac is a beast... yet I have seen some holes. Who has he fought that hits as hard as Mosley? Definitely a punchers chance and mosley moves his head and can box...

Not enough . . . but I will watch.

I just don't think Shane is able to put enough punches together these days. The most interesting part of the PBF v SSM fight for me was how much stronger, even bigger, Floyd was than Shane.

By the way, SSM will be doing exponentially more flinching than feinting.
thehype
QUOTE (SmartyBeardo @ Dec 4 2010, 01:46 PM) *
The most interesting part of the PBF v SSM fight for me was how much stronger, even bigger, Floyd was than Shane.

That's what happens when you have to submit to random blood testing.

laugh.gif
thehype
QUOTE (gravytrain @ Dec 2 2010, 04:25 PM) *
Trying to use what happened with Mayweather as a measuring stick for Marquez at a higher weight is just ridiculous though.

I don't think it's about what happened to him against Mayweather...I think it's more about how he looked at that weight.

He weighed in at 142 pounds and looked slow and a little soft around the body (which is normally what happens to guys not named Pacquiao who move up 2 weight divisions).

That combination is not going to bode well against a guy who looks fast, ripped and strong as hell at 147.

Personally, I think it's more ridiculous to look at their first two fights at 130 and 126 and think that it's going to look the same a 3rd time 3 divisions higher.

Just my 2 cents though. I could be wrong, but unfortunately, we won't find out. LOL. Or maybe we will...who knows?

dntknw.gif
thehype
QUOTE (JLUVBABY @ Dec 2 2010, 10:17 PM) *

His obsession is exactly what would be his undoing...making him want to trade with a bigger (they're NOT the same size), stronger and faster man.

If Katsidis dropped him, THE Pacquiao will put him to sleep.

laugh.gif
JD
The Pacquiao - Marquez fight would be a mismatch at this point in time.

For all his skill, Marquez would be outgunned in every way, shape and form now. I know people are going to pan me for saying this, but I don't see JMM getting out of the 4th round against Pac up at 144 or 147 now.

But even with that...I would rather see the JMM fight at 144 than Mosley at welter if only to see Marquez get the payday.
SENTRAL
QUOTE (JD @ Dec 4 2010, 02:04 PM) *

For all his skill, Marquez would be outgunned in every way, shape and form now. I know people are going to pan me for saying this, but I don't see JMM getting out of the 4th round against Pac up at 144 or 147 now.

But even with that...I would rather see the JMM fight at 144 than Mosley at welter if only to see Marquez get the payday.

Pacquiao murders Marquez at the heavier weight and I dont need to see it to believe it and I wouldnt pay to see Mosley fight Pacman even if someone gave me the money.
thehype
QUOTE (JD @ Dec 4 2010, 02:04 PM) *

Both Arum AND Roach have made it crystal clear that Pacquiao isn't going to agree to fight below 147 though, so a fight at 144 isn't going to happen.

If Marquez's legs are as shot as you said they were BEFORE the Katsidis scrap, then a fight with Pacquiao at 147 could be the LAST payday he ever gets.

Just because a big payday is involved, that doesn't mean he should risk everything by giving in to all of Pacquiao's demands right now. There are other paydays out there for Marquez, a Morales fight being one of them, so I wouldn't risk fighting Pacquiao at such a huge disadvantage. Instead, let him go ahead and fight Mosley. If it's as bad of a matchup as some people think, then the media and fans will voice their opinon and force Pacquiao into a position where he has no choice but to make the 3rd fight in his next bout (unless, of course, Mayweather fights him..in which case, I don't think anyone would care about Marquez getting that third fight...lol).
caneman
QUOTE (thehype @ Dec 4 2010, 04:09 PM) *
Both Arum AND Roach have made it crystal clear that Pacquiao isn't going to agree to fight below 147 though, so a fight at 144 isn't going to happen.

If Marquez's legs are as shot as you said they were BEFORE the Katsidis scrap, then a fight with Pacquiao at 147 could be the LAST payday he ever gets.

Just because a big payday is involved, that doesn't mean he should risk everything by giving in to all of Pacquiao's demands right now. There are other paydays out there for Marquez, a Morales fight being one of them, so I wouldn't risk fighting Pacquiao at such a huge disadvantage. Instead, let him go ahead and fight Mosley. If it's as bad of a matchup as some people think, then the media and fans will voice their opinon and force Pacquiao into a position where he has no choice but to make the 3rd fight in his next bout (unless, of course, Mayweather fights him..in which case, I don't think anyone would care about Marquez getting that third fight...lol).

Agreed. I don't wanna see JMM hurt over a good payday or anyone else really but JMM should leave it alone unless @ 140 which would be fair & it would be easy enough for Pacman to make 140! It sucks really!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.