Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Measuring Manny:
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
Sai
Measuring Manny: Has Pacquiao's Skills, Opponent Selection Improved Since Marquez?
Measuring Manny is an in-depth look at the progression of Manny Pacquiao as a fighter and an analysis of the level of competition he has been facing since Marquez on 3-15-08.

1) How much has Manny improved as a fighter?
2) Since, Marquez in 2008, has Manny been fighting elite fighters?
3) Why was Juan Marquez so difficult for Manny Pacquiao anyway?
4) Has the accolades Manny been receiving for beating these fighters justified?

Measuring Manny is a 2 part series, with video commentary to support the insight.

Also see FightHype's The Race For The Mega Manny Payday
Run and Gun Game Calls
1. Not sure but some

2. yes

3. styles make fights

4. Hatton was destroyed, and DLH had just lost a very very close decision to mayweather
D-MARV
1. Manny has improved some since his last fight with Marquez. I'm really not sure how much he's improved though.

2. Since Marquez, Manny has fought B Level talent but has dominated, so I give him some credit. He hasn't fought any elite fighters since Marquez.

3. Manny will always struggle with counterpunchers. Marquez is extremely accurate with his shots and was able to time and touch Pacquaio up a bit.

4. NO! too many catchweights and guys coming off of defeats. Oscar was Ghandi in the ring... anybody who thinks that was the same Oscar that fought Mayweather is a damn moron.
Hops
NEXT: PACQUIAO VS. KLITSCHKO
Wednesday, November 24, 2010

By Don Donatello

From what I read, The Fighter of the Decade, Manny Pacquiao, is an average fighter who has been lucky, dodged all good opponents, perfectly marketed, and cheated in all his fights.

Itís nothing new, in fact itís should be expected. No one cares about Juan Pedro from Mexico, or Sugar ďHitmanĒ Jacobson from the Bronx, because they are nobody. But there are many to take a jab at the best. Letís take a look at some of the absurd and laughable statements. Let the entertainment begin. Enjoy and Happy Thanksgiving.

Manny is ducking everyone. He wont fight the Klitchskos, thatís because he is afraid. He wont even fight Paulie Malignaggi. Paul would run circles around Manny and would stop Manny in six rounds if he got in the ring with Malignaggi. Even Juan Diaz would finish Manny easily and knock him out with one punch; Diaz is just too good and strong for Manny. Erik Morales would kill Manny if they ever fought at 140. Juan Manuel Marquez was superb against Floyd Mayweather at 144 pounds; he got up from a second round knockdown and lasted for 12 rounds with Mayweather. That proves Marquez will beat Pacquiao, even at 144 pounds. Manny cant beat black fighters, especially African American fighters. Joshua Clottey is not black, he does not fight in the style of an African American. Miguel Cotto would have knock out Pacquiao if they fought at one pound more than at 146. So what if Cotto weighed at 146 pounds in his fight prior to Pacquaio. Ricky Hatton was winning before he got stop in the second round. Hatton was at his best at 147, he is no good at 140, his natural weight. Sometimes boxers must fight at their un-natural weight to be better. Oscar De La Hoya was drained when he lost to Pacquiao, he should have come in 17 pounds bigger. That would have given Oscar the strength to knock out Pacquiao. Antonio Margarito was too big at 165. If he could have come in at 155, he would have been faster and that would enable him to knock out Pacquiao. Juan Manuel Marquez beat Pacquiao two times. Being knock down 4 times donít mean anything. A knockdown should only count as a hard punch.

I agree with Golden Boyís Richard Schaefer, Manny and Marquez should split the purse at 50/50 if they fought for a third time. Marquez is just as much a star as Pacquiao, an even split is fair.

Marco Antonio Barrera was over the hill when he fought Pacquiao, even when he was in the top 10 of the best P4P list 4 years prior to their second fight. Erik Morales beat Pacquiao, but it is true that 9 months later, Morales was totally washed up in their second fight. Manny did not do anything different in their second fight. He did not improve or train differently, or correct his mistakes. Why is Manny avoiding the best known and most marketable fighters like Tim Bradley, Devon Alexander, and Andre Berto? Any fight with those three would rake in gazillions in PPV revenue. It must be because Manny is afraid of African American style of fighting.

Manny is a coward. Isnít Pacquiao suppose to be great, the best P4P, the best of his generation? He should show it by fighting anyone. If he is so great, then he should fight Sergio Martinez, then Bernard Hopkins, Antonio Tarver, and David Haye. An if Manny is better than Henry Armstrong, then why not fight Vitali or Wladimir Klitcshko with no catchweight? Manny should prove himself, he has not beaten anyone legitimately.

All his wins can be reasoned out and expose him. Manny is ducking good fighters, he is taking steroids, he is draining every opponent, he is cherry picking, he is eating some Filipino super dish, he is praying in the ring, he is holding his opponents, he is cheating, he is fighting only over the hill opponents, he might have something in his gloves, he is tricking his opponents by being friendly with them, he is taking yellow substances that must be illegal, he is avoiding Mongolian fighters, he is avoiding Australian fighters, he is avoiding Filipino fighters, he is avoiding Chewbaca, he is avoiding fighters who drink their pee, why is he avoiding Popeye, Oprah Winfrey would stop him in three rounds, he is avoiding smaller fighters, he is avoiding bigger fighters, he is overrated, he is one dimensional, he does not move his head, he has no defense, he is amateurish, he is a mule, he is one handed, he got knocked out twice, he only fights at catchweights, and etc.

Iíll now like to say Happy Thanksgiving to Manny Pacquiao and his Family. Keep up the good . . err..great work, Manny! ALL these detractors are just part of the territory, and you have carved up a HUGE piece of history. Probably the biggest and best real estate in the land of professional boxing.
Run and Gun Game Calls
lol that was a fantastic post hops.
BoxingStill#1
Tony looked as confident on that as he did about knocking out Randy....

Wonder who Floyed bet on in that one
streetlion1
1. Offensively Mannys right hand is a lil better...defensively he is still wide open.

2. He fought Marquez early that year...Hattons a bum...Diaz...yea...Margarito, Cotto, ODLH forced to drain themselves...Clottey=human heavy bag. The answer is no.

3. Marquez is a very smart and slick counter puncher...styles make fights.

4. He deserves credit...but he is fighting guys at catchwieghts making them lose on the scale...being handled very carefully. He is the most exciting fighter to watch but the circumstances behind his wins make me say the answer is no.
Run and Gun Game Calls
odlh isnt forced to do anything, he runs the show in all his fights, even at this stage.
The Ollie Reed Fan Club
1) How much has Manny improved as a fighter?

Leaps and bounds a totally different guy. He has got a right hand, which leads to more combo's. His footwork is miles better and his ring generalship has improved out of sight. A much more patient guy in the ring now.

2) Since, Marquez in 2008, has Manny been fighting elite fighters?

Yes.

3) Why was Juan Marquez so difficult for Manny Pacquiao anyway?

Styles make fights. A very slick counter puncher whom I think has got into Manny's head a bit by always getting up off the canvas.

4) Has the accolades Manny been receiving for beating these fighters justified?

Yes. Manny has received a cautious endorsement from the hard core community. The reaction from the casual fan has been over the top.
The CEO

lol...yeah...I'm fed up.

Leftovers and punching bags.

After Marquez II, Cotto is the only win I give him some credit for...
The Ollie Reed Fan Club
QUOTE (The CEO @ Dec 6 2010, 09:36 AM) *

lol...yeah...I'm fed up.

Not even blasting out Fatton in 2 at Ricky's preferred weight of 140? You're one tough son of a gun. laugh.gif
jlupi
Leaps and bounds a totally different guy. He has got a right hand, which leads to more combo's. His footwork is miles better and his ring generalship has improved out of sight. A much more patient guy in the ring now>>>

I agree if manny fought the same way he did, as a somewhat reckless one handed tornado, hed be kod by the bigger guys.

Id also say its a stretch to day he is "wide open" as some have. He likes to rumble so he will get hit. He may not be MW but that dont make him wide open.
Mean Mister Mustard
QUOTE (The CEO @ Dec 6 2010, 08:36 AM) *

lol...yeah...I'm fed up.

LOL, the punching bag is faster than Margarito. He was tough no doubt, but if you are bigger and yet slower, Pacquiao's going to eat you up, we saw that against DLH and we didn't need to see it here.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.