Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Alvarez-N'dou 12:30 EST On HBO Latino
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
salvador
At what point is it ridiculous that HBO/SHO makes it's primary boxing demographic (over 30) stay up until past midnight to see a genuinely exciting prospect fight a fading B -level fighter? 12:30 EST is a slap in the face - AND IT'S IN SPANISH! Very fucked!

Yes, I know I'm old. But doesn't HBO want it's viewers to see Alvarez fight?
gravytrain
I don't know man, the telecast might nice. I don't know much Spanish but if those cats commentate on boxing like they do soccer it'll be worth it.

I do hate what time it's coming on though, what the fuck? Almost 1AM?
JLUVBABY
QUOTE (salvador @ Dec 4 2010, 08:02 PM) *
At what point is it ridiculous that HBO/SHO makes it's primary boxing demographic (over 30) stay up until past midnight to see a genuinely exciting prospect fight a fading B -level fighter? 12:30 EST is a slap in the face - AND IT'S IN SPANISH! Very fucked!

hey hey hey... im over 30 and im not old... lol...
SmartyBeardo
QUOTE (salvador @ Dec 4 2010, 06:02 PM) *

QUOTE (JLUVBABY @ Dec 4 2010, 07:19 PM) *
hey hey hey... im over 30 and im not old... lol...

Move left (not so) young men.
KYLE THEEE SPINKS FAN
Is this live on HBO Latino? I got a stream right now that's in round 7. I just got home and started watching, so I don't know who's winning or so on.
gravytrain
I think Alvarez is a chump for his record and following. Alright fight though.

kidbazooka1
Alvarez looked good but i wanna see him fight with a little more agression i know he's only 20 and has a few good wins already against fadeing former champs but i wanna see him impress and ends these guys like Baldo.
The Ollie Reed Fan Club
QUOTE (gravytrain @ Dec 5 2010, 01:38 AM) *
I think Alvarez is a chump for his record and following. Alright fight though.

Fuck man you're hard to please. Alvarez is a young young guy with virtually no amateur experience. He is both trying to build a pro career but also catch up on the learning curve he missed by having limited amateur fights. Give the kid a couple of years. A career should be a race not a sprint.
mexi-cutioner
Is alvarez fighting at 147 or 154???? Cus I'd like to see the kid fight and stay at 147. with Pac, Mayweather and Mosley on their way out and some of the talent that'll be moving up from 140, that is definitely the division of the future.
The Ollie Reed Fan Club
QUOTE (mexi-cutioner @ Dec 5 2010, 02:10 AM) *
Is alvarez fighting at 147 or 154???? Cus I'd like to see the kid fight and stay at 147. with Pac, Mayweather and Mosley on their way out and some of the talent that'll be moving up from 140, that is definitely the division of the future.

I think 154 but I could be wrong. I actually see Alvarez having a stellar career at MW.
gravytrain
QUOTE (The Ollie Reed Fan Club @ Dec 5 2010, 01:49 AM) *
Fuck man you're hard to please. Alvarez is a young young guy with virtually no amateur experience. He is both trying to build a pro career but also catch up on the learning curve he missed by having limited amateur fights. Give the kid a couple of years. A career should be a race not a sprint.

This cat is from Mexico, fighters over there are always turning pro instead of staying amateur. Maybe he should have got a better trainer. Relative to this point in his career I don't think much of him.

The Ollie Reed Fan Club
QUOTE (gravytrain @ Dec 5 2010, 02:35 AM) *
This cat is from Mexico, fighters over there are always turning pro instead of staying amateur. Maybe he should have got a better trainer. Relative to this point in his career I don't think much of him.

Relative to what? To most 20 year old pro's? I'd say he's doing OK.
pesticid
He looked good, but he's not as fast though, and here and there his concentration is off and he gets caught with punches in succession even from N'dou. I like him a lot still, but as far as prospect status he is nowhere near the level of David Lemieux. I may be deceived though because if it were another opponent who came at him ready to exchange he could've flourished. That's what he was asking N'dou throughout the whole fight. At the end the commentators were saying that against an opponent that throws more, it will be much harder for Canelo. I think it could be the opposite.
gravytrain
QUOTE (The Ollie Reed Fan Club @ Dec 5 2010, 02:44 AM) *
Relative to what? To most 20 year old pro's? I'd say he's doing OK.

Relative to someone pulling numbers rivaling the Mexican national team in Mexico. I think that would probably make him the premier fighter in Mexico regardless of age or experience. When you hear about that you've expectations for a fighter and I'm not at all being unfair to think he could have handled Ndou better at times. You can look at fighters and make decisions on their skill level relative to the point in their career they're at from the amateurs to being a world champion, at this point in this career I think he could be better.

QUOTE (SmartyBeardo @ Dec 5 2010, 10:07 AM) *
I agree with Ollie.

Alvarez just outboxed a seasoned professional (62 fights) who has fought at a very high level. Canelo did not look spectacular. In fact at moments he looked rather amateurish. But he dominated the fight.

He is not ready for the elite level fighters but last night was a good test for his patience, and a decent step up in competition.

I think it should have been better on his part. I gave Ndou no chance and Ndou knowss his best days are behind him so he was looking to keep the guard up and do a little to keep it entertaining, but the part of the fight that really stood out to me was how lost Alvarez was at times and his unwillingness to make adjustments. I can think of when Ndous was practically on the ropes with his guard up, Canelo was just staring at him like "what do I do?". It wasn't as bad every time but I agree that he looked amateurish at times.
The Ollie Reed Fan Club
QUOTE (gravytrain @ Dec 7 2010, 01:07 AM) *
Relative to someone pulling numbers rivaling the Mexican national team in Mexico. I think that would probably make him the premier fighter in Mexico regardless of age or experience. When you hear about that you've expectations for a fighter and I'm not at all being unfair to think he could have handled Ndou better at times. You can look at fighters and make decisions on their skill level relative to the point in their career they're at from the amateurs to being a world champion, at this point in this career I think he could be better.

Well I would say he is simply the most well marketed fighter in Mexico. De la Hoya was the p4p KING of PPV for over a decade in America and I think we both know that at no time was he the premier fighter in America.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.