Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Roach wants Martinez
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
Pages: 1, 2
Method
http://www.fightnews.com/Boxing/roach-want...inez-asap-69458

Here we fucking go again.

The Catch-Weight Kid rides again.

All aboard the Freddie Roach Stutterin Shakin Stage Coach.
Spyder
"At the right weight" could mean anything...it could mean 154 vs 160...or it could be a catch-weight.

That comment from Roach doesn't say much...
Snoop
154 for the Middleweight strap. Manny Pacquiao - 9 Division Title Holder!

rolleyes_anim.gif

But seriously though, don't be surprised if that actually gets suggested.
Method
QUOTE (Spyder @ Dec 7 2010, 02:25 PM) *
"At the right weight" could mean anything...it could mean 154 vs 160...or it could be a catch-weight.

That comment from Roach doesn't say much...

"Could mean anything" if you believe in the fucking TOOTH FAIRY. If you look at the reality of it, any astute follower of the sport knows EXACTLY what the fuck it means...C-A-T-C-H-W-E-I-G-H-T.
thehype
Why stop at Martinez? Why not take on Hopkins...at the "right weight".

laugh.gif
caneman
QUOTE (Method @ Dec 7 2010, 03:00 PM) *
"Could mean anything" if you believe in the fucking TOOTH FAIRY. If you look at the reality of it, any astute follower of the sport knows EXACTLY what the fuck it means...C-A-T-C-H-W-E-I-G-H-T.

It sure does cause no way it's 160 & I doubt 154 to be honest...Martinez is too big for him.
thehype
QUOTE (caneman @ Dec 7 2010, 03:36 PM) *
It sure does cause no way it's 160 & I doubt 154 to be honest...Martinez is too big for him.

Wouldn't be surprised if they wanted it at 150.
JD
Anything ABOVE 154 I would like to see.
salvador
I hate the idea of catch weights almost as much as I hate the fact that Pac won't take blood tests. That said, I'd much rather see Pac fighting bigger guys (even if they are semi-drained) than see him walk through the 140 pound division.
gravytrain
QUOTE (Snoop @ Dec 7 2010, 02:52 PM) *
154 for the Middleweight strap. Manny Pacquiao - 9 Division Title Holder!

rolleyes_anim.gif

But seriously though, don't be surprised if that actually gets suggested.

In reality I think they'd want him lower than 154 but that isn't happening. It'd be funny to see Pac get stretched out against Martinez though, so hopefully they make this fight.
Lil-lightsout
Sorry, but this is sickening. Everybody knows what Roach means, he would want Martinez to suck as much weight as possible to get him as weak as possible.It is impossible to like Roach when he says and pulls this shit. Just stick to fighting 140-147 pound fighters.

I honestly have zero desire to see Pac-Martinez.
The CEO
Wait a second...didn't they already say they would ONLY fight Martinez UNDER 150 pounds?

Manny Pacquiao Says He’ll Retire Before Age 35, Says He IS Willing To Fight Sergio Martinez, But Below 150-Pounds
by James Slater, eastsideboxing

And today, ABS CBN news.com have a short interview article with Pacquiao, in which the fighter-congressman speaks about who he would like to fight next, in 2011. And guess what? Manny said he IS willing to fight Martinez, the very fighter many fans wholeheartedly dismissed as a future foe for the Filipino legend.

Pacquiao, when asked who he’d fight next, after taking that well earned six month break he spoke about previously, said he’d fight “anyone,” including Martinez. There is, however, a catch: Pac-Man said that if a fight between he and Martinez did happen, it would have to be fought at under 150-pounds. Pacquiao fought and defeated Margarito at a catch-weight of 150-pounds (Margarito, by the way is even taller than Martinez, by a full inch), and he says he would be willing to do pretty much the same with the reigning middleweight champ.

UNDER 150 pounds......lol...someone called that...think it was MMM.
JLUVBABY
roach dont want this fight... thats a bunch of talk... propaganda... martinez murders pac... martinez knows it... and pacs people know it... he is physically too big.
gravytrain
QUOTE (The CEO @ Dec 7 2010, 06:57 PM) *
Wait a second...didn't they already say they would ONLY fight Martinez UNDER 150 pounds?

LOL that shit is just pathetic. I bet he'd want it for the MW title too. MW title bout with a catchweight of 147.

Lil-lightsout
QUOTE (SmartyBeardo @ Dec 7 2010, 07:36 PM) *
Have to disagree. I would much rather see him fight the winner of Alexander v Bradley.

I agree 100%.

Two undefeated, young, hungry, slick, well conditioned, prime, etc. fighters to see is the best 140 pound fighter in these two. Pac fighting the winner would be perfect IMO.
kidbazooka1
Martinez would end Manny no way i see Roach takeing the fight if it's at 154lb or above.
salvador
QUOTE (SmartyBeardo @ Dec 7 2010, 08:36 PM) *
Have to disagree. I would much rather see him fight the winner of Alexander v Bradley.

If Pac is walking through Cotto's, DLH's, Clottey's, and Marg's best punches then neither Bradley or Alexander has a chance in hell of stunning Pac much less hurting him unless Pac gets caught with something he doesn't see. And that's doubtful seeing as how Pac is so much faster and more coordinated than either Alexander or Bradley.

Spyder
QUOTE (Method @ Dec 7 2010, 03:00 PM) *

Don't you think expecting an ex-flyweight to fight at 160 is a little more akin to believing in the tooth fairy?

'Cause THAT shit seems ridiculous to me.
D-MARV
QUOTE (salvador @ Dec 7 2010, 09:23 PM) *
If Pac is walking through Cotto's, DLH's, Clottey's, and Marg's best punches then neither Bradley or Alexander has a chance in hell of stunning Pac much less hurting him unless Pac gets caught with something he doesn't see. And that's doubtful seeing as how Pac is so much faster and more coordinated than either Alexander or Bradley.

Manny was stunned numerous times against Marquez... I think Bradley and Alexander have the ability to stun Manny.
salvador
QUOTE (D-MARV @ Dec 7 2010, 09:30 PM) *
Manny was stunned numerous times against Marquez...

That was before Pac's miracle strength/power/chin/muscle growth spurt. Pac is a very different physical specimen today than the guy who fought JMM. The guy who fought JMM wouldn't have the density/strength/presence/neck/chin to take body shots from a 150 pound Marg or eat straight right hands from Cotto. Apples and oranges.
Lil-lightsout
QUOTE (salvador @ Dec 7 2010, 09:23 PM) *

Respectfully disagree.

1- Oscar was a zombie who had zilch on his punches. He offered no offense.
2- Clottey was basically a human punching bag who showed very little offense.
3- Margarito did in fact hurt him. And AM is slow and Pac could see all his punches coming.
4- Cotto only offered a little offense early on until getting hammered.

All these guys you mentioned were far from their best days. See a pattern?

Now in Bradley and Alexander, which I like Tim in this one, I see two very fast skilled fighters in there. I see both of them giving Pac all he can handle in an excellent skilled match-up. Also with the work rate these two young fighters possess, I think they make it interesting. Just my opinion though. I would love to see a young primed hungry fighter in there with Pac this time around.
BoxingStill#1
QUOTE (JLUVBABY @ Dec 7 2010, 07:01 PM) *
roach dont want this fight... thats a bunch of talk... propaganda... martinez murders pac... martinez knows it... and pacs people know it... he is physically too big.

agreed.....

Pac dont want this fight either.....

Snoop
QUOTE (The CEO @ Dec 7 2010, 11:57 PM) *

Manny Pacquiao Says He’ll Retire Before Age 35, Says He IS Willing To Fight Sergio Martinez, But Below 150-Pounds
by James Slater, eastsideboxing

And today, ABS CBN news.com have a short interview article with Pacquiao, in which the fighter-congressman speaks about who he would like to fight next, in 2011. And guess what? Manny said he IS willing to fight Martinez, the very fighter many fans wholeheartedly dismissed as a future foe for the Filipino legend.

Pacquiao, when asked who he’d fight next, after taking that well earned six month break he spoke about previously, said he’d fight “anyone,” including Martinez. There is, however, a catch: Pac-Man said that if a fight between he and Martinez did happen, it would have to be fought at under 150-pounds. Pacquiao fought and defeated Margarito at a catch-weight of 150-pounds (Margarito, by the way is even taller than Martinez, by a full inch), and he says he would be willing to do pretty much the same with the reigning middleweight champ.

How anyone can defend this guy after hearing that is unfuckingbelievable.
JLUVBABY
QUOTE (D-MARV @ Dec 7 2010, 08:30 PM) *
Manny was stunned numerous times against Marquez... I think Bradley and Alexander have the ability to stun Manny.

that a-side meth is proving to be a mother fucker marv... you think the manny that fought marquez walks through the punches he's walking through now?... lol...
JLUVBABY
QUOTE (Lil-lightsout @ Dec 7 2010, 08:58 PM) *
Respectfully disagree.

3- Margarito did in fact hurt him. And AM is slow and Pac could see all his punches coming.

Now in Bradley and Alexander, which I like Tim in this one, I see two very fast skilled fighters in there. I see both of them giving Pac all he can handle in an excellent skilled match-up. Also with the work rate these two young fighters possess, I think they make it interesting. Just my opinion though. I would love to see a young primed hungry fighter in there with Pac this time around.

well before we see the alexander vs bradley winner in there i think we should be pushing for a berto type fighter who is on the same level but naturally bigger and closer to the a_side meth pac of today... just saying...
Fitz
QUOTE (Spyder @ Dec 8 2010, 01:25 PM) *
Don't you think expecting an ex-flyweight to fight at 160 is a little more akin to believing in the tooth fairy?

Bloody Spyder. I hate when people say this, lol. It makes it look even more incredible. It makes it sound like that a natural flyweight did that, lol. Pacquiao was 16-17 when he started. There is nothing incredible about jumping up in weight at that age. I would say it's nature to move up in weight class. Pacquiao should get credit for his weight jumping from at least 21 years old (at least). At least he wasn't a boy at that age.
Jumping up in weight is overrated for a teenage boy IMO.
Lil-lightsout
QUOTE (JLUVBABY @ Dec 7 2010, 10:35 PM) *
well before we see the alexander vs bradley winner in there i think we should be pushing for a berto type fighter who is on the same level but naturally bigger and closer to the a_side meth pac of today... just saying...

At 147, I also would love to see Berto-Pac. I think Berto would give Pac some things to think about, though I still am skeptical on Berto's chin. That Collazo fight was a bit ago now, I am pretty sure Berto is a little better now. Berto is ready for a step up also in comp, so him and Pac would suit me fine.
gravytrain
QUOTE (Lil-lightsout @ Dec 7 2010, 10:57 PM) *
At 147, I also would love to see Berto-Pac. I think Berto would give Pac some things to think about, though I still am skeptical on Berto's chin. That Collazo fight was a bit ago now, I am pretty sure Berto is a little better now. Berto is ready for a step up also in comp, so him and Pac would suit me fine.

I think it'll be an decent fight if Berto can make it an ugly fight. I don't think he'll have the chance though. I'd like it more than other possible fights but doubt it'll happen.
STEVENSKI
QUOTE (Fitz @ Dec 8 2010, 02:39 PM) *
Bloody Spyder. I hate when people say this, lol. It makes it look even more incredible. It makes it sound like that a natural flyweight did that, lol. Pacquiao was 16-17 when he started. There is nothing incredible about jumping up in weight at that age. I would say it's nature to move up in weight class. Pacquiao should get credit for his weight jumping from at least 21 years old (at least). At least he wasn't a boy at that age.
Jumping up in weight is overrated for a teenage boy IMO.

Was he a flyweight world champion? Was he not a week out from his 20th birthday when he won the WBC flyweight title? So he was a man when he fought at flyweight. men naturally gain weight as they age. I know I weigh more at 31 than 21 & not all of that is due to being a lazy bastard. It is just how it is.
Fitz
QUOTE (STEVENSKI @ Dec 8 2010, 04:24 PM) *
Was he a flyweight world champion? Was he not a week out from his 20th birthday when he won the WBC flyweight title? So he was a man when he fought at flyweight. men naturally gain weight as they age. I know I weigh more at 31 than 21 & not all of that is due to being a lazy bastard. It is just how it is.

He was a flyweight champion. I'm not arguing that or taking anything away from that. I was just saying that he was a flyweight when he was about 17-18 (not a champion then). Yes he has fought in 8 different weight classes (or more, can't remember exactly). But people often bring up where he started to where he is now, and try to imply he is fighting above his natural weight (though they use flyweight when he was 17). I just would never count a weight someone was when they were 16-21 as them fighting well above their weight now.
I think people can start counting weight classes they have jumped and be used as an example of being the smaller man when they are adults.

By the way, don't take this in a way where I am taking away credit from Pacquiao winning a title at flyweight, as I definitely am not doing that. Though when people say that he is fighting well above his weight, I wouldn't be using the divisions he was fighting at as a kid. That's all I'm saying. I agree, he has moved well above his weight, I just wouldn't include the divisions to when he was a boy.
STEVENSKI
QUOTE (Fitz @ Dec 8 2010, 04:36 PM) *
He was a flyweight champion. I'm not arguing that or taking anything away from that. I was just saying that he was a flyweight when he was about 17-18 (not a champion then). Yes he has fought in 8 different weight classes (or more, can't remember exactly). But people often bring up where he started to where he is now, and try to imply he is fighting above his natural weight (though they use flyweight when he was 17). I just would never count a weight someone was when they were 16-21 as them fighting well above their weight now.
I think people can start counting weight classes they have jumped and be used as an example of being the smaller man when they are adults.

By the way, don't take this in a way where I am taking away credit from Pacquiao winning a title at flyweight, as I definitely am not doing that. Though when people say that he is fighting well above his weight, I wouldn't be using the divisions he was fighting at as a kid. That's all I'm saying. I agree, he has moved well above his weight, I just wouldn't include the divisions to when he was a boy.

Don't disagree but I think that Pac at nearly 20 was grown enough to be considered a man & as a man he naturally matured into heavier fighter over the perios of 10 years.

He was a natural flyweight when he was 19/20 & grew from there. He is not a natural flyweight any more but he has grown into a 135-140lb fighter naturally as he has matured.

So Pac is fighting above his weight (or the classes he could make if he desired to) as if he cut down he could be making 135 & certainly 140.
KookedKrack
Another day another catch weight thumbsdown_anim.gif

Manny has a "title" at 154 make the fight there. I think Team Pac are really just trolling everyone they know how the boxing community feels about these bs catchweights and fighting washed up dudes so they are just doing it for the money and the lulz.
Lil-lightsout
QUOTE (gravytrain @ Dec 7 2010, 11:35 PM) *
I think it'll be an decent fight if Berto can make it an ugly fight. I don't think he'll have the chance though. I'd like it more than other possible fights but doubt it'll happen.

Well i just read Roach says that Pac will not go back down to 140 again so I guess those top dogs are out, which sucks IMO. So my next choice would be Berto. Sure Berto has not shown a great beard so far, but the dude is very fast and hits pretty good when he sets down on his punches. I mean if some of these older slower handicapped opponents could get in some shots on Pac, I think Berto would have a shot to getting to Pac. The worst case scenario would be if Pac just walloped Berto real early and got him out of there before the fight even got started.

I also doubt it happens, Berto is not well enough known for them. High risk, low reward.
STEVENSKI
QUOTE (Lil-lightsout @ Dec 8 2010, 08:03 PM) *
The worst case scenario would be if Pac just walloped Berto real early and got him out of there before the fight even got started.

The only way that would be bad is that the haters would say Berto "wasn't ready" " too green" "Pac juiced" & any other excuse you could come up with to discredit Pac.
The Ollie Reed Fan Club
QUOTE (Snoop @ Dec 7 2010, 11:25 PM) *

How anyone can defend this guy after hearing that is unfuckingbelievable.

Well I'll try.

Martinez is in my mind a fucken legitimate MW. He has been asked about a Pac fight and if you read/listen to his comments he is agitating for it. The fact that a guy who has recently beaten the former undefeated MW champion of the world is trying to make a fight with a Filipino midget is beyond fucken unforgivable in my book.

Fuck Martinez, I'm happy for the guy but go try making fights with guys in your own weight class.

Oh but let me guess, he can't be blamed, he's just trying to make the best money fight out there. Well isn't that what Pac is being accused of?

Snoop
QUOTE (The Ollie Reed Fan Club @ Dec 8 2010, 12:21 PM) *
Well I'll try.

Martinez is in my mind a fucken legitimate MW. He has been asked about a Pac fight and if you read/listen to his comments he is agitating for it. The fact that a guy who has recently beaten the former undefeated MW champion of the world is trying to make a fight with a Filipino midget is beyond fucken unforgivable in my book.

Fuck Martinez, I'm happy for the guy but go try making fights with guys in your own weight class.

Oh but let me guess, he can't be blamed, he's just trying to make the best money fight out there. Well isn't that what Pac is being accused of?

Way to put words in my mouth, again.

Lil-lightsout
QUOTE (STEVENSKI @ Dec 8 2010, 05:58 AM) *
The only way that would be bad is that the haters would say Berto "wasn't ready" " too green" "Pac juiced" & any other excuse you could come up with to discredit Pac.

I see exactly what you are saying, cause that is what would happen, lol. But for me personally i just want to see Pac in a good tough competitive fight with some nice sways in action. I want to see him really pushed, kind of like the JMM fights. That's why I was saying that would suck IMO if Pac blasted Berto out real early. It would be a huge letdown. Now of course if you are a huge Pac fan that would be great.
salvador
QUOTE (Lil-lightsout @ Dec 7 2010, 10:58 PM) *
Respectfully disagree.

They'd all seen their best days and were drained, but they were all heavy handed and Pac had absolutely no trouble handling their punches. Regardless of what kind of stamina or defense they had, each of those fighters punches harder than Bradley or Alexander (though, admittedly, not as accurate). And if the argument is that the only way to beat Pac is to outbox him, I would also suggest that neither Bradley nor Alexander is fast enough to do it and neither has the skills of JMM.

I hate sounding like a broken record, but in my mind the physical difference between the Pac that fought JMM and the one that just fought Marg is night and day. He seems much sturdier/stronger/and at least as fast. His boxing skills have also improved.

And not to get off point, but I happen to like Alexander over Bradley by late ko after being a couple of rounds behind on the scorecards. We'll see.
salvador
QUOTE (SmartyBeardo @ Dec 7 2010, 10:59 PM) *
I disagree. So, what you are saying is a skeletal ODLH, cracked Cotto, African Heavybag and ruptured tomato can were greater challenges than the undefeated winner of Alexander v Bradley would be? Fair enough but I think someone slipped you a Team QuackMeow koolaid IV when you weren't looking.

If Pac really wants to deal with the BHop etc African American fighter criticism, he should be fighting young, undefeated champions that can challenge his speed and slickness. Pac has been fighting handicapped, damaged and paid off easy targets. Alexander and Bradley are legit champions who are hungry for a great payday and superstar status.

To write them off because Pac has demonstrated that he can beat up big, slow and leaking tomato cans demonstrates the height of Manniacal contagion.

Why is it that nobody in the world that is on top of their games is worthy to fight Pac? There is no reason. The undefeated champ of 140 should be given his shot. They have a better chance at success than any of his opponents since JMM.

As I stated in the post above, I believe that Pac is a different physical fighter now than the one who fought JMM. He seems much stronger and sturdier and I can't help but believe there is something fishy there (not that I have any interest in rehashing the subject). I also think Pac is clearly faster than either Alexander or Bradley. I don't think there is any question that Pac is the second best fighter in the sport right now and I'm not sure I'd put either Bradley or Alexander in the top 10. All together it all adds up to Pac blowing out either guy. Maybe I'm wrong. If he does fight either guy, I hope it's Alexander because even though Bradley is a better boxer and has a better chance of winning on points, I just don't think Bradley has the punch to keep Pac off of him - and if he can't keep Pac off of him, I just can't imagine how he can last for 12 rounds.
Method
QUOTE (Spyder @ Dec 7 2010, 09:25 PM) *

Which is EXACTLY why Team Paq should shut the fuck up and keep Martinez's name out of their mouths.

I have ZERO expectations.

Im just sick of the Catch-Weight Kid.
Spyder
QUOTE (Fitz @ Dec 8 2010, 12:36 AM) *

So it's not impressive because he was a kid beating up men? OK...

QUOTE (Method @ Dec 8 2010, 09:54 AM) *
Which is EXACTLY why Team Paq should shut the fuck up and keep Martinez's name out of their mouths.

I have ZERO expectations.

Im just sick of the Catch-Weight Kid.

Martinez is the one picking a fight...

http://www.boxingscene.com/?m=show&id=33194

I have absolutely NO PROBLEM with the smaller man telling the Middleweight Champion to put his ass where his mouth is.
D-MARV
QUOTE (Spyder @ Dec 8 2010, 10:14 AM) *
So it's not impressive because he was a kid beating up men? OK...

Martinez is the one picking a fight...

http://www.boxingscene.com/?m=show&id=33194

I have absolutely NO PROBLEM with the smaller man telling the Middleweight Champion to put his ass where his mouth is.

What? I have a problem when the "So Called" pound 4 pound champ and the "So Called" 154lb champ wants to suck guys down to fight! You can't possibly defend this... you're too smart for that. Fight Martinez at 154 and I'll give Pacquiao all the props in the world (even if he gets his ass kicked). But if you're not gonna fight the man at his proper weight class then shut the fuck up and keep it moving!

JD
I like this fight at anything above 154...if Floyd and Pac are never going to get together, I would be happy to see either of them fight Martinez as long as it is at junior middle up.
The Ollie Reed Fan Club
QUOTE (SmartyBeardo @ Dec 8 2010, 11:28 AM) *
SMartinez wants the 154 belt that Pac owns. Is The Little Green Monster going to defend his belt or not?

What is this bullshit about getting on SMartinez for being interested in fighting for a belt that he once owned at the legit weight limit?

I'm on the verge of demoting Pac back to QuackMan. His act is old and stale.

Because everyone knows that that belt is no more than a trinket and just addede a lil sumthin sumthin to the promotion. I think we undertsand that no way is Pac a legitimate 154 pounder and really doesn't plan on campaigning there.

Why doesn't Martinez start calling out LEGIT guys at 154? or 160?
Method
What? I have a problem when the "So Called" pound 4 pound champ and the "So Called" 154lb champ wants to suck guys down to fight! You can't possibly defend this...

You can if you're a fucking MORON.
Snoop
If Martinez wants to be a dumbass and fight under 150, let him. But for all you Pac supporters, just admit that he wouldn't be fighting the best version of Martinez and he definitely isn't fighting for no Middleweight fucking Championship. Just remember that if the fight ever gets made under 150.
JLUVBABY
QUOTE (Lil-lightsout @ Dec 7 2010, 09:57 PM) *

id be very happy with pac vs berto... pac wold geta different look from a younger fresher hungrier fighter than what hes been fed these last few fights..
PR316
If its above 154, I would say its fair.

However, if they're going to put a contract weight in, then the belt should NOT be on the line. Fair is fair.

I mean, if that happens then pretty soon we are going to have to make new weight classes.

I'm all for Pacquiao-Martinez. Especially if PBF doesn't ever come to the table(Which I've been saying for a while now that he will never fight Pacquiao).

But at a fair weight. A weight Martinez can compete at. Sergio probably still can make 154 but he's not a champion at 154 anymore. If they fight at that weight, then no funny shit about the 160 pound belt on the line.

If its like that, I have no problem with it at all.
Snoop
QUOTE (PR316 @ Dec 8 2010, 10:43 PM) *

However, if they're going to put a contract weight in, then the belt should NOT be on the line. Fair is fair.

I mean, if that happens then pretty soon we are going to have to make new weight classes.

I'm all for Pacquiao-Martinez. Especially if PBF doesn't ever come to the table(Which I've been saying for a while now that he will never fight Pacquiao).

But at a fair weight. A weight Martinez can compete at. Sergio probably still can make 154 but he's not a champion at 154 anymore. If they fight at that weight, then no funny shit about the 160 pound belt on the line.

As you said, fair is fair.
gravytrain
QUOTE (PR316 @ Dec 8 2010, 04:43 PM) *

I wouldn't see the point of it being a title bout, Martinez would just have to vacate the 154 pound title again to keep his 160 pound title.

I just think under 150 is ridiculous and really shows their intentions.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.