Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: The Batamweight Tournament
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
SmartyBeardo
Darchinyan v Mares

Agbeko v Perez

After the other night, is this just an elimination tournament for a fight with Donaire? Personally, I'm not sure he will stick around at Bantam long enough to meet the winner of the tournament.

Just as well the extra weight was trimmed from the schedule. These are going to be great fights.

Either of these fights could take FOTY. Darchinyan v Mares appears to be a lock on war. I think Mares survives to take the decision.

Agbeko v Perez on paper looks like another decision for Perez. I'm thinking Agbeko has had enough and goes do or die in this one. I'm a sucker for the underdogs when there is no money involved.
AussieLad
Vic has had a longer camp than usual. I think he is focused on the task at hand and is going to stomp mares.

Go vic you evil little bastard aggressive.gif

kidbazooka1
Mares is gonna take the whole thing he's too skilled for Vic he might not pull a Donaire but he'll take a UD.

Perez/Agbeko will look just like the first fight except Perez will be a more clear winner this go around.
AussieLad
You have to respect each fighter for having the self belief to enter the tournament. This quote from Mares sums it up

ďThe four-man tournament is great. Thereís no ducking any fighters. Youíre fighting the best. You donít pick fighters in a tournament. This is what people want. Iím here for the fans.Ē

Theres no choosing of opponents by the fighters or promoters. It sometimes makes me wonder if the business of deal making and promoters was removed from boxing altogether, and conducted more along the lines of a tournament ladder where all fights were mandated from the sanctioning body. How much better would the level of competition be in general, if opponents couldnt be handpicked? Where every fight was a mandatory?

Lil-lightsout
I just hope Vic loses ONLY cause I want to mess with Fitz. But knowing Fitz he will still have Vic in his P4P if he loses. laugh.gif

You really are a nut hugger with Vic. Hahaha.
salvador
Right now Darchinyan is +185 to win, which is probably about right. That said, this card could just as easily have been a PPV if they were wws instead of bws - which is my twisted logic for putting $50 (the free money I'm not having to spend on the PPV) on Vic for no other reason other than because Vic is so totally freaking cool.
SmartyBeardo
QUOTE (AussieLad @ Dec 11 2010, 03:17 AM) *
You have to respect each fighter for having the self belief to enter the tournament. This quote from Mares sums it up

ďThe four-man tournament is great. Thereís no ducking any fighters. Youíre fighting the best. You donít pick fighters in a tournament. This is what people want. Iím here for the fans.Ē

Theres no choosing of opponents by the fighters or promoters. It sometimes makes me wonder if the business of deal making and promoters was removed from boxing altogether, and conducted more along the lines of a tournament ladder where all fights were mandated from the sanctioning body. How much better would the level of competition be in general, if opponents couldnt be handpicked? Where every fight was a mandatory?

Nice dream.

Instead of promoters there would only be administrative facilitators. Less shit ppvs. Maybe even a boxing network.
Fitz
QUOTE (Lil-lightsout @ Dec 11 2010, 10:32 PM) *
I just hope Vic loses ONLY cause I want to mess with Fitz. But knowing Fitz he will still have Vic in his P4P if he loses. laugh.gif

You really are a nut hugger with Vic. Hahaha.

lol.

I'm going to be buying Vic Darchinyans hoody and t-shirt, that doesn't make me a nuthugger. Just a fan. I think a good example of a nuthugger is you and Toney. You are so cute when you talk about James.
JD
Mares by decision...and while I feel like I should take Perez, something tells me Agbeko is going to reverse the first outcome.
Lil-lightsout
QUOTE (Fitz @ Dec 11 2010, 08:33 PM) *
lol.

I'm going to be buying Vic Darchinyans hoody and t-shirt, that doesn't make me a nuthugger. Just a fan. I think a good example of a nuthugger is you and Toney. You are so cute when you talk about James.

The truth is Toney is hands down the best heavyweight in the world! And if that makes me a hugger, so be it, lol.

Also, I sure hope you only wear your Vic gear indoors at your place. NO one wants to see that shit outside. I am sure you and only his team and family are the only other ones who buy that shit, lol.
mexi-cutioner
Not surprised to see Mares walk out with the decision since I expected it. Vic doesn't bode well against boxers. Haven't seen teh Agbeko-Perez fight yet I still need to check that. The winner of the tournament NEEDS to face the winner of Montiel-Donaire sometime next year to determine the true bantamweight champion
AussieLad

Mares wasnt outboxing Vic. He fought the younger mans fight and outworked him in the 2nd half. It was vic landing the cleaner, harder shots. Vic is 34 and wilted under the pace. Maybe time to look at hanging up the gloves after the tournament is over.
gravytrain
I didn't catch the end of the fight but on the main page Shaw is saying a judge gave the last 7 rounds to Mares. Was it really that lopsided or just bad judging?
mexi-cutioner
QUOTE (SmartyBeardo @ Dec 12 2010, 08:39 AM) *
The proof will be in the puddin' but I don't see any of these 4 fuckin' with Donaire. But, who knows, Montiel may clock his ass.

IF Donaire can pull off a win vs. Montiel and doesn't move up in weight immediately after that fight, I can see a fight with Donaire vs Agbeko or Perez taking place since neither fighter is associated with GBP. I imagine the negotiation process would be less hostile. Since 2007 i've been craving a Donaire-Darchinyan rematch but at this point I doubt that's going to happen.
Fitz
Yeah, I think after seeing Vic fight 3 times at bantamweight, I don't think he is strong enough in this weight class. I think he still does have some power, but the guys are taking his shots better after his 4th weight class. Donaire looked big as well in his last fight, I think he beats Vic comfortably at this point now. Vic would have had a better shot in a rematch closer to the first fight.
mexi-cutioner
At this point, Donaire vs JuanMa Lopez or Gamboa at 126 or 130 looks like a more and more likely matchup within the next few years.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.